• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Grind_Lines_#1_Fan

favorite wing never to win the cup in Detroit

Rate this topic

Who is your favorite wing never to win the cup in Detroit?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of that list, definitely Oates.

If not him, then I'd have to go with Shawn Burr. He was with the Wings for over a decade, a good scorer, great two-way player, and had a lot of heart.

Plus he got the game winner against Toronto that year in the playoffs when the puck deflected off his chest and went into the net. At the time, that goal was like Stevie's slapshot against the Blues.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Dallas Drake.

Although Burr is a good one too.

Drake was and is a solid all-around player, great defensively, great hitter, good skater, and a nice shot.

Only reason he didn't stay in Detroit was that Murray bent to media pressure and dealt Cheveldae (worst trade the Wings have made in my lifetime imho...Bautin played 1 game, Essensa did not play much either.)

EDIT: Steve Chiasson also as at the top of my list...he was Detroit's first all-star defenseman in 13 years and he's among the most prolific blueline scorers to play for Detroit, was very good defensively and a nasty hitter.

Plus the combination of Konstantinov/Chiasson was just awesome.

Edited by eva unit zero

Only reason he didn't stay in Detroit was that Murray bent to media pressure and dealt Cheveldae (worst trade the Wings have made in my lifetime imho...Bautin played 1 game, Essensa did not play much either.)

Wasn't it Bowman that dealt Drake and Cheveldae to the Jets at the '94 trade deadline?

Wasn't it Bowman that dealt Drake and Cheveldae to the Jets at the '94 trade deadline?

That was Murray's last significant act as GM.

Bowman was in his first season as coach, but Murray was still GM.

Bowman's first significant act as GM was trading Chiasson for Mike Vernon.

Bowman didn't like Drake either, that is why he was thrown in...

But as for this being the worst trade in your lifetime, how old are you?

Adam Oates for Bernie Federko was pretty bad, much worse than this trade. Cheveldae didn't do anything after leaving here. Drake turned out to be pretty good (he was one of my favorite wings at the time, I was mad that he was thrown into that trade), but nowhere near the level that Adam Oates went to after being given away by the wings...

Adam Oates for Bernie Federko was pretty bad

One of the Wings' 2 worst trades (the other was Lindsay in the 50s I think) and probably one of the worst 25 in NHL history. We gave up Oates and all his assists, along with Paul MacLean and his mustache, and all we got was a year from washed-up Bernie Federko and 14 games from locker-room cancer Tony McKegney. The Blues MUST have had naked pictures of someone...

Dallas Drake.

Although Burr is a good one too.

Drake was and is a solid all-around player, great defensively, great hitter, good skater, and a nice shot.

EDIT: Steve Chiasson also as at the top of my list...he was Detroit's first all-star defenseman in 13 years and he's among the most prolific blueline scorers to play for Detroit, was very good defensively and a nasty hitter.

Plus the combination of Konstantinov/Chiasson was just awesome.

Good call on Chiasson, but Dino was my favorite.

Adam Oates for Bernie Federko was pretty bad, much worse than this trade. Cheveldae didn't do anything after leaving here. Drake turned out to be pretty good (he was one of my favorite wings at the time, I was mad that he was thrown into that trade), but nowhere near the level that Adam Oates went to after being given away by the wings...

I don't agree with that assessment.

Yes, Oates was great after the trade. But Federko contributed a lot more than Essensa and Bautin combined ever did, and Federko was just as solid a contributor as Oates in his time for Detroit. Oates likely would not have done any better for the Wings had he stayed--his improvement was largely linked to Hull and Neely, and would not have happened because of Steve Yzerman being engraved on the first line. Oates would have never had the opportunity and possibly would have been demoted when Fedorov entered the league.

Drake was developing into a heck of a player real quick, great defense and a solid offensive contribution. He's been one of the top 4-5 defensive forwards during the past decade consistently and has always been a big time ferocious hitter...would have been a huge plus for the team.

I don't agree with that assessment.

Yes, Oates was great after the trade. But Federko contributed a lot more than Essensa and Bautin combined ever did, and Federko was just as solid a contributor as Oates in his time for Detroit. Oates likely would not have done any better for the Wings had he stayed--his improvement was largely linked to Hull and Neely, and would not have happened because of Steve Yzerman being engraved on the first line. Oates would have never had the opportunity and possibly would have been demoted when Fedorov entered the league.

Drake was developing into a heck of a player real quick, great defense and a solid offensive contribution. He's been one of the top 4-5 defensive forwards during the past decade consistently and has always been a big time ferocious hitter...would have been a huge plus for the team.

Federko's one season with Detroit, he had 17 goals and 40 assists, then retired.

Adam Oates' last season with Detroit, he had 16 goals and 62 assists (in only 69 games). Prior to that he had a season similar to Federko's season with Detroit (14 goals, 40 assists).

Oates' 1st season away from Detroit (the year that Federko had the 57 points with Detroit), he had 23 goals and 79 assists in 80 games. That is 1.275 points per game, in Oates' last season with Detroit he averaged 1.13 points per game (in comparison Federko averaged 0.78 in his one season in Detroit). He may not have reached the same level with Detroit as he did in St. Louis and Boston, but he would have still put up strong numbers. His ice time was increasing, and would only have continued to do so. Perhaps when Feds came into the league, they would have been forced to move him, but they would have gotten much more for him at that point because he would have been more established as a player. In addition, Demers really wanted Federko because he had been so great for him in St. Louis, but it just didn't pan out here...one average season and he was done.

This is by far a worse trade than the Drake/Cheveldae for Essensa/Bautin. Drake has developed into a solid player, and as I've said I was extremely angry when he was moved. You used the argument that Oates wouldn't have developed into the same player here, I echo that argument with Drake. Bowman referred to Drake as the dumbest hockey player that he had ever coached, do you really think that he would have gotten the ice time needed to develop under him?

Probert.

Yeah, Mr. Coke sure deserved to win a Cup in this city. Nothing like rooting for heroes who let the city and fans down time and again. Sometimes personal behavior does matter away from sports.

Forget Probert. Dino and Chaissan should have won here. I'll never forget the words "Chaissan with a drive ..." while the Wings were on the power play. Maybe Shawn Burr, too, even after the incident in the Finals against the Devils.

:lol: This was the absolute LAST thread on the last page...thought I would bump it up from 2005 for the Hell of it!

Mine: Probert, Dino & Shawn Burr...

Geesh, look at some of the user's in this thread...where did they go?

Sorry to bump it....just a wee bit bored...

I have to vote other and say Cujo. We only gave him one good year to win the cup once he came here and we did not preform our best. Losing to the Ducks in the first round of the 03 Playoffs was a huge dissappointment than the year after I beleive we got back Hasek and that kinda put a kink in our goal-tending plans and I feel he never really had a ligit shot at really winning the Cup here in Detroit!!

:lol: This was the absolute LAST thread on the last page...thought I would bump it up from 2005 for the Hell of it!

Mine: Probert, Dino & Shawn Burr...

Geesh, look at some of the user's in this thread...where did they go?

Sorry to bump it....just a wee bit bored...

I was gonna ask how bored you were today :lol:

I picked Dino, for a 7 year old thread this is still a pretty valid topic.

Haha I was so confused at the people on the front page talking about Dallas Drake, I was thinking "uhh he did in 2008" :lol:

Mine has gotta be Robert Lang! Would have loved to see that goof raise it.