• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 SpankEmRed

SpankEmRed

RIGHT!

• Gold Booster
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:39 AM

Anybody feel really good about either of these guys? If they didn't sign on Thursday, would it be a big loss? I'm feeling 'no' on both accounts. If we had to sign one I'd lean towards Quincey... it's a rather uneducated commitment though not having seen either play yet.
"Again!" - Herb Brooks

#2 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (SpankEmRed @ July 28, 2005 - 05:39AM)
Anybody feel really good about either of these guys? If they didn't sign on Thursday, would it be a big loss? I'm feeling 'no' on both accounts. If we had to sign one I'd lean towards Quincey... it's a rather uneducated commitment though not having seen either play yet.

Oulahen would be less of a loss.

Quincey is the top defense prospect in the Wings' farm system (Kronwall aside-he's on the big club now)

Oulahen is a solid player but is nothing spectacular.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#3 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:31 AM

Quincey is awesome, I got a chance to see him play during the Wings prospect camp last summer at Troy. He was definitely the star of em all.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#4 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (SpankEmRed @ July 28, 2005 - 05:39AM)

Are you serious?! Quincey would be a huge loss. He's a 6'2" Northamerican defenseman that can hit. That's one of a kind among Detroit prospects. He was also the last one cut from the Canadian junior team at the 2004 WJC.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#5 SpankEmRed

SpankEmRed

RIGHT!

• Gold Booster
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (RyanBarnes! @ July 28, 2005 - 09:11AM)
Are you serious?! Quincey would be a huge loss. He's a 6'2" Northamerican defenseman that can hit. That's one of a kind among Detroit prospects. He was also the last one cut from the Canadian junior team at the 2004 WJC.

I can't help but think that his hernia injury at 19 years old is a bad omen. That's the only hesitation that I have.
"Again!" - Herb Brooks

#6 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:29 AM

http://www.allsports...ftSignings.html

They're inked. Whew.

peace

Posted Image

#7 Bliz

Bliz

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

No mention of Howard, though. Back to Maine, I guess. It's too bad; most of what I had read about him agreed he was ready for the next step.

#8 Henkka

Henkka

Finnish Wing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:22 PM

Good work. thumbup.gif
user posted imageuser posted image

#9 KirkMaltbygirl18

KirkMaltbygirl18

Go Maltby!

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:51 PM

I've met and been able to watch both Kyle and Ryan, and in my opinion that are going to be great additions to the Grand Rapids Griffins. Sure, they might be young, but I think they are going to develop and grow into even better hockey players with GR. Kyle is a good, strong, defensman that will be able to help the Wings in a few years (possibly even sooner depending on how he does in GR). Ryan was the captain of his OHL club, and I think he has leadership skills that will help him along the way. I think both are great additions! They're both sweethearts as well! cool.gif

#10 wingedwheelfan

wingedwheelfan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (Bliz @ July 28, 2005 - 09:44AM)
No mention of Howard, though. Back to Maine, I guess. It's too bad; most of what I had read about him agreed he was ready for the next step.

Has he signed any kind of deal in the past? Aren't un-signed 2003 draftees put back into the draft pool for Saturday?
I fear cuttlefish.

#11 Bliz

Bliz

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

The way I understand it, Howard will stay a Red Wings prospect if he returns to Maine (Not certain, though).

#12 vadim

vadim

The greatest professional athlete ever

• Gold Booster
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

College students do not re-enter the draft.

#13 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:37 PM

I was looking forward to seeing Howard take the next step and play with the Griffins. Bah, another year of college won't hurt.

Good job signing Quincey and Oulahen.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#14 pavel13

pavel13

It's still confusing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ July 28, 2005 - 05:22AM)

Quincey is the top defense prospect in the Wings' farm system (Kronwall aside-he's on the big club now)

Oulahen was named the most underrated player in the OHL last season by the coaches and ranked in the top three in faceoffs, penalty killing, defensive forwards, and skating. He scored nearly a point per game while playing against the best offensive players in the OHL every shift. And he's the captain of the team. He doesn't put up spectacular offensive numbers, but he is a spectacular player.

Howard can still sign with Detroit. The deadline was for signing 2003 drafted players that are eligible to re-enter the draft or become UFAs. There is no deadline to sign college players or Europeans, so he can still sign. Howard could sign in November if he wanted to.

#15 Hockey Master

Hockey Master

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:36 AM

Oulahen is a strong Battalion forward. His numbers were on the rise and he was team captain.

Quincey was the #2 d-man behind Danny Syvret in London before Bryan Rodney made him expendable. Quincey is a strong, big d-man who can move the puck. Like it was said, he's a 6-2 NORTH AMERICAN defenseman.

#16 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (pavel13 @ July 29, 2005 - 02:42AM)
QUOTE (eva unit zero @ July 28, 2005 - 05:22AM)

Oulahen was named the most underrated player in the OHL last season by the coaches and ranked in the top three in faceoffs, penalty killing, defensive forwards, and skating. He scored nearly a point per game while playing against the best offensive players in the OHL every shift. And he's the captain of the team. He doesn't put up spectacular offensive numbers, but he is a spectacular player.

Howard can still sign with Detroit. The deadline was for signing 2003 drafted players that are eligible to re-enter the draft or become UFAs. There is no deadline to sign college players or Europeans, so he can still sign. Howard could sign in November if he wanted to.

I never said Oulahen wasn't a good player.

But he's much more of a Draper type...solid contributor offensively, defensive stalwart. The kind of guy I would call spectacular is Fedorov. Elite defense and amazing offense, big and strong. Most complete player to play in the NHL in a long time.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#17 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:06 PM

http://www.detnews.c...port-264265.htm

Nothing major, but this Oulahen kid is going to be good! He played his OHL in Brampton about 30 minutes from where I am. He's an excellent two way hard working player, and another mid-round gem, 5th round, 164th overall in the 2003 entry draft. I've seen him play a few times.

http://www.battalion...b=1&id=77&sid=1

I don't know to much about Kyle Quincey, but here's info on him. 6 2', 210 at 19 years old ain't bad! I had a friend who met him, Kyle does some work in the local hospitals.

http://www.mississau...p?player_id=110

Edited by Barrie, 30 July 2005 - 10:07 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#18 Yzerfan75

Yzerfan75

"Mmmm my poker face, mmm my poker face..."

• Silver Booster
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:10 PM

Cool.

#19 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

More on Oulahen. In a OHL Coaches poll he was named most underrated player, hardest worker, and best penalty killer. Gotta love those hard workers!

http://www.battalion...p?sid=4&id=3766

Edit: We could see him in Grand Rapids next year

http://www.battalion...p?sid=4&id=3803

Edited by Barrie, 30 July 2005 - 10:18 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#20 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:19 PM

Sweet thumbup.gif
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.