• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bliz

Abdelkader

Rate this topic

Information is kind of sparse on our 2nd round pick. Hockey's Future says he's a two-way forward with good skating ability...(Edit) and that's about all it says. There was an article that hinted he might be better than advertized, but nothing specific.

So, what do we know about this guy? What kind of game does he have? Strengths? Flaws?

Edited by Bliz

he's a two-way forward with good skating ability...and not much more than that.

My family has known the Abdelkader's for many moons. I grew up through same hockey system although I was too many years older and didn't get to play with him. I am extremely happy for him and his family. Also... How about a little shot of pride for Muskegon!

I have seen him play many times at the high school level. The above description is accurate. He has what you want in a winger, a commitment to both ends of the ice, a quick release, and a knack for finishing.

Justin Abdelkader

DOB - 02/25/1987

Hometown – Muskegon, MI

6’-1� / 195#

2004 MHSAA Mr. Hockey at Mona Shores High School, led them to the D2 title game in 2004.

Played 2004-2005 at Cedar Rapids in the USHL, only 4 assists in the playoffs but a good regular season with 27 goals in 60 games. Cedar Rapids won the Clark Cup.

He’ll signed to be a Freshman this fall at MSU

I hope he has great success.

Congrats Justin!

Edited by cincywingfan

My family has known the Abdelkader's for many moons. I grew up through same hockey system although I was too many years older and didn't get to play with him. I am extremely happy for him and his family. Also... How about a little shot of pride for Muskegon!

I have seen him play many times at the high school level. The above description is accurate. He has what you want in a winger, a commitment to both ends of the ice, a quick release, and a knack for finishing.

Justin Abdelkader

DOB - 02/25/1987

Hometown – Muskegon, MI

6’-1� / 195#

2004 MHSAA Mr. Hockey at Mona Shores High School, led them to the D2 title game in 2004.

Played 2004-2005 at Cedar Rapids in the USHL, only 4 assists in the playoffs but a good regular season with 27 goals in 60 games. Cedar Rapids won the Clark Cup.

He’ll signed to be a Freshman this fall at MSU

I hope he has great success.

Congrats Justin!

Any more nuggets? Like who he wants to style his game after, what kind of game he likes to play, etc....Thanks

One luxury - we have four years to decide on the kid as NCAA has a full tenure clause regarding the CBA. We have a bit more time to let him grow. My contacts in Musky say he was Mr. Hockey Michigan in 03 and is still growing. He does not mind a fight. Maybe a good pick...

Abdelkader is an interesting pick, especially as a local kid who grew up in Muskegon as stated. I saw him play in the USHL and he was definetly one of the better players on the team, but didn't impress me enough to take him as high as the Red Wings did. Decent size, skill, shot, puck handling, skating ability, offensive awareness, and grit. Abdelkader does a lot of things well, but nothing outstanding. He posted a respectable 52 points in some 60 games. One thing that concerns me is that he dissapeared during Cedar Rapids playoff run. Is that an indication of things to come? I don't know. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as he was an '87 playing against players mostly older than him. MSU and the CCHA will be a good test for him, and he should be able to be a top-6 forward on the Spartans roster right away and once all is said and done I project him as an above average 3rd line forward. Could pan out as a less gritty version of Jim Slater.

Edited by Erack82

Abdelkader is an interesting pick, especially as a local kid who grew up in Muskegon as stated. I saw him play in the USHL and he was definetly one of the better players on the team, but didn't impress me enough to take him as high as the Red Wings did. Decent size, skill, shot, puck handling, skating ability, offensive awareness, and grit. Abdelkader does a lot of things well, but nothing outstanding. He posted a respectable 52 points in some 60 games. One thing that concerns me is that he dissapeared during Cedar Rapids playoff run. Is that an indication of things to come? I don't know. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as he was an '87 playing against players mostly older than him. MSU and the CCHA will be a good test for him, and he should be able to be a top-6 forward on the Spartans roster right away and once all is said and done I project him as an above average 3rd line forward. Could pan out as a less gritty version of Jim Slater.

A 3rd line forward?? Damn that's pretty underwhelming for a 2nd round pick.

His last year of highschool hockey I played against him twice, and everyone watching knew he was going to be amazing. We beat his team 4-3, but he had all 3 goals...not to mention a broken hand. I know thats highschool hockey and doesn't mean anything, but my gut feeling is he is going to be a good player. He has 4 more years of getting better at MSU.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

A 3rd line forward?? Damn that's pretty underwhelming for a 2nd round pick.

Basically what I am saying. Again he isn't a bad player, he could be a 2nd line guy on a weak team, but for a second round pick I would have gone with someone else. Time will tell and hopefully he will prove me wrong.

This from The Hockey News' August issue, where Abdelkader was rated 52nd...

"Abdelkader surprised a lot of scouts with the way he dominated at both ends of the ice in the USHL. He has everything scouts like to see in a young defenseman and will play at Michigan State next season." Oops, he's a forward... but not a bad review IMO.

At the very least, he gives some real credibility to Michigan High School hockey.

This guys out of mona shores......And is suposst to be one heck of a hockey player its about time that north america gets some more players on the wings.. and not some greddy russians like dat.....who will probly never be back in a redwings jersey........just a prediction.... huh.gifhuh.gif

I seem to be the only one here, but I'm actually very excited about getting Abdelkader.

He has nice size at 6'1, 195lbs. and he's still only 18 so you know he will get bigger. He's a top skater and is good in all aspects of the game. He doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, which at this young age is a great sign. He has so many years ahead of him before he gets the experience to push his way into the Red Wings lineup, and by that point he will be bigger and stronger, and will have improved across the board.

Holland copped a lot of crap for his draft choices, but considering we were drafting reasonably late in the 1st round, I think Holland did pretty well. Kindl will make plenty of Wings "fans" eat their words, and as I mentioned above, I'm pretty excited to have Abdelkader on board too.

He is a gritty player who isn't afraid of contact, and with the size he will have by the time he breaks into the Wings lineup, he will be perfectly suited to the Grind Line, and depending on how much he improves his already solid offensive skills, he could also make for a pretty decent scoring line player.

Seeing as how no one has mentioned this yet, here is his profile from redwingscentral.com:

STRENGTHS - Good at just about everything, with no glaring weaknesses ... natural skater in all facets (speed, quickness, agility, acceleration) ... responsible two-way player, smart in his own zone ... plays a hard, physical game ... competitive, in-your-face puck-pursuer ... isn't fazed in traffic ... good on faceoffs ... solidly built ... has a quick release on accurate shot ... capable set-up man ...

WEAKNESSES - Upside is unclear at present: can he become a top-six forward or is he a two-way, third-line role player? Answers are on the way ... not a flashy player by any means ... doesn't appear to have game-breaking offensive skills ... could use more velocity on shot ...

PROJECTION - Abdelkader is a solid, hard-working prospect who doesn't have any glaring weaknesses. He should develop into a solid third-liner, but if his offensive game comes along at Michigan State the next few seasons, he has potential as a top-six forward.

Abdelkader was the 25th-rated North American skater. Guillame Latendresse, who just about everyone on here was rooting for us to take at #42....was the 52nd rated NORTH AMERICAN SKATER. Kindl was the 18th-rated NA Skater.

Very few Euros or goalies were taken before either Kindl or Abdelkader. Kindl was probably taken a little higher than rated (and worth it) and Abdelkader probably went well after he was rated to.