• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 twins1729

twins1729

Slash Queens

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:05 PM

Saturday, my mom wakes me up at 8:30 in the morning (I was pissed at first because I wasn't supposed to wake up until 10:00 to get ready for work). Anyway, she tells me that Manny Legace was going to be at a hockey equipment store's grand opening in Howell, signing autographs. I was thrilled; it was really close to where I work in Fowlerville. I asked my boss if I could leave, she said yes and there I was. Although I expected to see a huge line there was about 4 or 5 people there, but people where coming and going. I had Legace sign my Red Wings 5 disc DVD and an old picture of him I had in a hockey book. He was really nice, but I couldn't stay long because I had to get back to work. All in all, it was an exciting 20 seconds of my life. LOL. It was my first Red Wing encounter, although my principal has gotten autographs for me before.

Has anyone else met any Wings (probably because I'm lame like that) or any celebrity for that matter? (In high school, this girl I new met Katie Holmes because her aunt was Katie Holmes' little sister's hair dresser and she said she was snobby.)

#2 HASEKdaDOMINATRO

HASEKdaDOMINATRO

Hail To The Victors.

• Silver Booster
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:20 PM

Aww!! I'm jealous! I'd love to meet Manny!

I've met Mathiew Schneider, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg at autograph signings at Westland Mall, then McCarty at a grinder concert.

Hmm...other celebrities... I met Jeff Daniels when I was really young. And this past year I met Gavin DeGraw, Ben Folds, and the guys from the small band Carbon Leaf.
I've often been asked in the years since Lake Placid what was the best moment for me. Well, it was here - the sight of 20 young men of such differing backgrounds now standing as one. Young men willing to sacrifice so much of themselves all for an unknown. A few years later, the U.S. began using professional athletes at the Games - Dream Teams. I always found that term ironic because now that we have Dream Teams, we seldom ever get to dream. But on one weekend, as America and the world watched, a group of remarkable young men gave the nation what it needed most - a chance, for one night, not only to dream, but a chance, once again, to believe.
--Herb Brooks
Coach of the 1980 USA Olympic Men's Hockey Team, the Miracle on Ice

#3 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:26 PM

I've met McCarty, Larionov, and Bowman and autograph signings.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#4 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:31 PM

Wings - I've met Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, McCarty, Holmstrom, Hull, Dandenault, Fedorov, Shanahan, Ted Lindsay, Scotty Bowman, Dave Lewis, Larionov, Ken Daniels, Ken Holland.

The story behind that is my dad is friends (from high school) with the guy that owns the clothes store Roots. They still talk from time to time and we went up to Toronto to see a Wings game and there was a party at Roots and most of the Wings were there. My Dad's actually become friends, well acquantainces, with Larionov. They still talk over the phone from time to time, and once Larionov came to our house and gave me a helmet.
thumbup.gif
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#5 whitneydatsyukrox

whitneydatsyukrox

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:36 PM

I haven't really met anyone special, but I'm relatives with Bob Probert.
Canadian WINGS fan

"Boyd Devereaux is like a *** on a man. The coaches should take his stick away and say "Just go out there and confuse 'em."- Scott Lucidi, March 2004
Classic.

#6 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (whitneydatsyukrox @ August 1, 2005 - 10:36PM)
I haven't really met anyone special, but I'm relatives with Bob Probert.

Wow really? How are you guys related?
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#7 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:06 PM

No fair! I wanna meet Manny lol.

I met D-Mac last December when he came to Marquette with his band. He's the only Wing I've ever met. smile.gif

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#8 Ducksoup

Ducksoup

True Grit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

mathieu schneider, pavel datsyuk and darren mccarty for hockey players. for other athletes, sara fisher (IRL), orlando pace (NFL) and antonio daniels (NBA). i've also met neil armstrong (moon dude) and members of the bands mushroomhead, mindless self indulgence, dope and also carbon leaf.

#9 Godfather

Godfather

Prospect

• Bronze Booster
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (redwinggirlz @ August 1, 2005 - 07:05PM)
Saturday, my mom wakes me up at 8:30 in the morning (I was pissed at first because I wasn't supposed to wake up until 10:00 to get ready for work). Anyway, she tells me that Manny Legace was going to be at a hockey equipment store's grand opening in Howell, signing autographs. I was thrilled; it was really close to where I work in Fowlerville. I asked my boss if I could leave, she said yes and there I was. Although I expected to see a huge line there was about 4 or 5 people there, but people where coming and going. I had Legace sign my Red Wings 5 disc DVD and an old picture of him I had in a hockey book. He was really nice, but I couldn't stay long because I had to get back to work. All in all, it was an exciting 20 seconds of my life. LOL. It was my first Red Wing encounter, although my principal has gotten autographs for me before.

Has anyone else met any Wings (probably because I'm lame like that) or any celebrity for that matter? (In high school, this girl I new met Katie Holmes because her aunt was Katie Holmes' little sister's hair dresser and she said she was snobby.)

I've met tons. Road trips are great if you can get into the same hotel that the team is staying in. Like having the team at your finger-tips.

As far as celebrities, I've met Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Rob Zombie, Ozzy, Eric Carr of Kiss, Randy "macho man" Savage, & Bill Goldberg. No movie stars that I can think of.

GF

#10 whitneydatsyukrox

whitneydatsyukrox

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (ARice89 @ August 1, 2005 - 10:54PM)
Wow really? How are you guys related?

My cousin Dani is married to him. My Uncle had her when he was a lot younger than when he had his second kid, so her and Bob are basically old enough to be my parents!
Canadian WINGS fan

"Boyd Devereaux is like a *** on a man. The coaches should take his stick away and say "Just go out there and confuse 'em."- Scott Lucidi, March 2004
Classic.

#11 canuckhound73

canuckhound73

Boards Cheif Autograph Hound

• 45 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:42 AM

The short answer to the question this thread asks is.... Yes, many.

Too many to even start naming to be more specific. To summarize, more or less everyone in the NHL since about 1988, most of the NBA during the Grizzlies era, a large portion of the LPGA, more or less everyone of note from the WWE, a scattering of other athletes from various sports, a fairly large portion of the music industry & a reasonable portion of the actresses & a few actors.

#12 ontariowingsfan

ontariowingsfan

season tickets!!!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:52 AM

i haven't met a celebrity or a redwing

I've only met Jason Williams tongue.gif

oh ya.. and sat with Tie Domi at a London Knights game... but again.. not a celebrity tongue.gif
I'm sooo gaga for Lidstrom Rules!
I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase

Red Wing season tickets AND the new Justin CD in the same day??!!???
Yes Brianne, there IS a Santa Claus!

#13 Ducksoup

Ducksoup

True Grit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:57 AM

GAH i totally forgot about meeting katie holmes...

i was friends with a girl who's sister graduated with katie from Notre Dame Academy in toledo.

#14 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:23 PM

Gordie and Colleen Howe at the Denny's outside Lakeside Mall.
All the members of the now-defunct band Stabbing Westward (several times).
Chris Randall of the band Sister Machine Gun.
Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, and other View Askew people (several times).
Scott McNeil (prominent cartoon voiceover guy)

My dad's met Yzerman and Shanny before, while he was working at a Health Food Store in Troy (almost ran over Shanny with a palletjack!), but I still haven't met any current Wings.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#15 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:06 PM

I'm so jealous of you guys that have met Pasha...is he as nice and kind as he seems to be? He just strikes me as being a gentleman...someone I'd love to know.

Over the years I had the chance to meet many traditional musicians. From Beausoliel to Riders in the Sky and a lot inbetween. Unfortunately I've never met any of the Wings...I'd love to meet Pasha, Manny, Jiri Fischer and Mathieu Dandenault, Drapes, Henrik and the Captain most of all...especially Pasha.
Posted Image

#16 SDWingNut

SDWingNut

Monkey on a Highwire

• 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (edicius @ August 2, 2005 - 01:23PM)
Gordie and Colleen Howe at the Denny's outside Lakeside Mall.

Jeez Louise, a Denny's?? I thought Gordy was doing better for himself than that! biggrin.gif

A buddy of mine and I would hang out at The Rock bar across the street from the MCI center in DC after Wings games there. A lot of the younger guys would come in for a ginger ale (as Mickey would put it) after games, we met Pushor, Osgood, Hodson, Dandenault, Ward, etc. Got a nice pic with Pushor, and also a funny one of a group of Wings pointing at the back of my buddy's jersey. He covered over "Fedorov" with "Kournikova" to protest Sergei's holdout and to show who really wore the pants in that family at the time. laugh.gif

Also met The Governator in 1976 at Eastgate Mall, he was on tour to promote his Mr. Universe title. Now that I live in San Diego, I realize that he really hasn't learned much since then.

joe b.

#17 I Thought I Saw a Datsyuk 13

I Thought I Saw a Datsyuk 13

i walk like a man

• HoF Booster
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:27 PM

i met jessica alba

#18 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (I Thought I Saw a Datsyuk 13 @ August 2, 2005 - 03:27PM)
i met jessica alba

I'm jealous.

Musician wise, I met Aaron Lewis of Staind after a show. I have his autograph on a bootleg CD. He was too high to notice.

I also met Vanilla Ice after a show my freshman year of college.

Edited by BlakChamber, 02 August 2005 - 03:15 PM.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#19 Ducksoup

Ducksoup

True Grit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ August 2, 2005 - 09:15PM)
I'm jealous.

Musician wise, I met Aaron Lewis of Staind after a show. I have his autograph on a bootleg CD. He was too high to notice.

I also met Vanilla Ice after a show my freshman year of college.

wow i'm sorry...did you tell aaron all his songs sound the same?

#20 Vladinator

Vladinator

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:34 PM

A long time ago I got really drunk with all of the guys from Molly Hatchet

I also watched an Alice Cooper concert at Joe Louis with Carmine Appice, he had one of the bench areas all to himself (well, him and the 4 lovely ladies that were with him). We got to talking and he invited me down to watch the show...

They were nobody's then, but me and a friend almost got into a fight with ICP. My friend's band was warming up for them, after his set we got really drunk and started heckling ICP during their show. They didn't take it very well and eventually got the managers to kick us out for the night...

As for Red Wings, I met Maltby and Barry Smith...

As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy
We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users