• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Turkey

So Much For Vandermeer

Rate this topic

I won't miss him. Sure he can throw a punch, but he only scored about 4 goals all season. Pretty crappy for a LW. I don't mind players who can dish it out, I just prefer one who can find the back of the net once in a while.

I won't miss him. Sure he can throw a punch, but he only scored about 4 goals all season. Pretty crappy for a LW. I don't mind players who can dish it out, I just prefer one who can find the back of the net once in a while.

I'm sure the Griffins/Wings felt that Bootland and Vandermeer both had the same amount of PIMS..but Bootland had like 4 times more points than Vandermeer, so they decided to keep the better of the 2. Why have 2 guys who play the same role?

I'm sure the Griffins/Wings felt that Bootland and Vandermeer both had the same amount of PIMS..but Bootland had like 4 times more points than Vandermeer, so they decided to keep the better of the 2. Why have 2 guys who play the same role?

Vandermeer is a legit heavyweight, Bootland a legit middleweight. Bootland can score more but you're comparing apples and oranges in terms of fighting ability and willingness to fight.

Vandermeer is a legit heavyweight, Bootland a legit middleweight. Bootland can score more but you're comparing apples and oranges in terms of fighting ability and willingness to fight.

Fighting is almost banned in the NHL, it's getting closer and closer.

It'll never happen, the players wouldn't stand for it. The play in the NHL would get even dirtier and you'd have more Bertuzzi incidents

It'll never happen, the players wouldn't stand for it. The play in the NHL would get even dirtier and you'd have more Bertuzzi incidents

You saw the third peroid instigator suspension rule, right?

Yeah, so?

Seems to me that the instigator was the first step, then you can't fight in the final 5 minutes of the 3rd period, then you they'll change it to you can't fight at all in the 3rd period, then gradually, it'll get more and more toned down. I hope I'm wrong, I love fighting in hockey, but that's what the domino effect looks lilke.

ditto.

Then why is it that every team is loading up on enforcers this off season. The third period instigator suspension rule isn't really new. There's been a similar rule for at least a couple of seasons, but with a fine. None the less it's a stupid rule.

Seems to me that the instigator was the first step, then you can't fight in the final 5 minutes of the 3rd period, then you they'll change it to you can't fight at all in the 3rd period, then gradually, it'll get more and more toned down. I hope I'm wrong, I love fighting in hockey, but that's what the domino effect looks lilke.

Only 16 times was an instigator handed out in the last five minutes of regulaton in 03-04, happening in 14 games.

Eight of these 14 games were decided by 3 goals or more. Two went to overtime, each featuring one instigator.

So 14 suspensions for instigator over the course of 1230 games. Happened in 14 games, which is 1.1% of the total games. Pretty tiny fraction.

Hard to say that it's a push to make fighting against the rules.

More than likely, it's designed to prevent players from being injured in meaningless fights that usually do not affect the outcome.

Then why is it that every team is loading up on enforcers this off season. The third period instigator suspension rule isn't really new. There's been a similar rule for at least a couple of seasons, but with a fine. None the less it's a stupid rule.

enforcers not instigators smile.gif

"More than likely, it's designed to prevent players from being injured in meaningless fights that usually do not affect the outcome."

If they really wanted to stop the stick penaltys and cheap shots they would go the other way and get rid of the instigator penalty and let the player police the game themselves. I like a good fight but really worry about the stick swinging...

So, any rumours about who GR may look at to enforce? Bootland is a number three guy -- I feel they need two big boys.

Robin Big Snake is coming to camp with them FF24, in Traverse City. Well, prospects camp, but he always impresses and I think he'll get an invite to TC. Then GR would have him and Amadio. Ireland has been on record many times saying he wanted a tougher team

Edited by Barnes52

Robin Big Snake is coming to camp with them FF24, in Traverse City.  Well, prospects camp, but he always impresses and I think he'll get an invite to TC.  Then GR would have him and Amadio.  Ireland has been on record many times saying he wanted a tougher team

Any word on Barnes?

Nothing official, but I'm hearing he's told people that he's going to be gone. He may play in England this year or hook up with another AHL team or appear in another NHL camp. But I think his days in this organization are close to through, if not done all together