• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kulling

READY OR NOT?

Rate this topic

Does anybody know the scoop with Igor Grigorenko?

I only know the following:

- Got back into action with Lada Togliatti to start the season (11-0-0-0-31).

- Relegated to fourth-line duty because of influx of NHLers and requested transfer.

- Transferred to Salavat Yulaev in the city of Ufa in early November.

- Pointless in first five games with Ufa, then scored 11 goals and seven assists in final 25 contests.

Does anyone think he will be given a chance any time soon at the NHL level????

Grigorenko will be on the Wings for 06-07. If Holland is desparate to get a RW now, he might try to sign Grigorenko for this season, but that's just speculation on my part; I haven't heard anything that indicates that he will sign this season.

It's an intersting thought. Would Grigorenko, at 80% or 90%, a better option than, say, Ledin or a similar player with only 4th line potential? Offhand, I'd say let him stay in Russia and get up to 100%, *then* bring him over. He'll probably be a great player, but he'll have to wait another year to crack the NHL.

On the other hand, matters would be much simpler if he'd agree to play in Grand Rapids. If he excelled there, he'd be available for a call-up. At the very least, exposure to the North America style of play would be good for him.

It's an intersting thought. Would Grigorenko, at 80% or 90%, a better option than, say, Ledin or a similar player with only 4th line potential? Offhand, I'd say let him stay in Russia and get up to 100%, *then* bring him over. He'll probably be a great player, but he'll have to wait another year to crack the NHL.

On the other hand, matters would be much simpler if he'd agree to play in Grand Rapids. If he excelled there, he'd be available for a call-up. At the very least, exposure to the North America style of play would be good for him.

I think the reasoning behind keeping Grigorenko in Russia another year is that they want him to get back to 100% before signing him, and he's probably more likely to do that while playing with his old coach in a more familiar place than playing in Detroit or GR.

I heard an interview with Ken Holland last week, on one of the sports talk shows in Detroit. He stated that Grigorenko was around 85% healthy from his accident, and that they'd like him to remain in Russia to get back to his previous level of play before bringing him over to Detroit.

Slightly off-topic, I but I noticed that Grigs fell out of the top 50 prospects list on Hockey'sFuture.com. Not really surprising, all things considered, but hopefully he'll light it up this season in Russia.

Slightly off-topic, I but I noticed that Grigs fell out of the top 50 prospects list on Hockey'sFuture.com. Not really surprising, all things considered, but hopefully he'll light it up this season in Russia.

Hockeysfuture doesn't know what they are talking about half the time.

Swedish experts considered Henrik Zetterberg better than the Sedins on draft day, yet the Sedins both got 8+ ratings right away and Zetterberg got a 6.5 rating. After winning the Elitserien rookie of the year the next year, Henrik jumped to an 8.5 rating.

Makes you wonder how much they even actually look at a player, or if it's just 'what league is he is? what are his stats?'

He's the first foward who didn't make the list, or next in line I should say. If it were the top 53 prospects, he prolly woulda been on it. Anybody know if he'll be at prospects camp?

Is Grigorenko actually expected to return to the same level of play that he had before the accident?

I think no, nobody could do that. He just lost a year to develop. But I still think he could be NHL 2nd line regular. He would have been the 1st line star but the destiny didn't agree with him. sad.gif

Let's just hope the best.

Edited by Henkka

I don't know what else I can add to this thread other than to say that I too believe that we will see Grigorenko spend this season in Russia to (hopefully) allow him to return to 100% before bringing him over next season. Where he will play next season (Detroit or Grand Rapids) will depend on who we still have on the team from the current roster and any new additions that we make, but I am pretty confident that Grigorenko will be in either one of our North American teams next season.

I'd guess and say he's pretty much a lock for the roster next year. Another year in Russia would be best and the lack of IIHF transfer agreement is why he isn't over here now. I would have liked to seen Hudler, Fillpulla and Grigorenko on a line in Grand Rapids this year.

Two other points of interest are 1. Grigs got 7 points in 8 preseason games last time I noticed. and 2. I think the fact that Hudler is under contract for 633k will hurt his chances of being called up as others can come up at 450k.

I'd guess and say he's pretty much a lock for the roster next year. Another year in Russia would be best and the lack of IIHF transfer agreement is why he isn't over here now. I would have liked to seen Hudler, Fillpulla and Grigorenko on a line in Grand Rapids this year.

Two other points of interest are 1. Grigs got 7 points in 8 preseason games last time I noticed. and 2. I think the fact that Hudler is under contract for 633k will hurt his chances of being called up as others can come up at 450k.

We have guys who can be called up for $450,000 (such as Rivers, Delmore, etc.), but I think that the effect this will have on Hudler will be minimal.

It may effect his chances of being called up this season, but over the next season or two we will be seeing a bunch of our current core guys retire or come close to it, and this will create opportunities for our young guys. Hudler is still only very young, and I believe that in the long run he will get his chance to play at the NHL level, even if it doesn't come this season.

With retirements will come some room to move under the salary cap, and it is then that we will be looking to re-build the team and Hudler should be a big part of that re-building process.

If Grigorenko hadn't been injured, he probably would have played in the NHL in 03-04. I remember that they signed Hudler shortly after Grigorenko was injured. I think the original plan was to sign Grigorenko (or both, but I highly doubt that they would have signed only Hudler), but obviously that wasn't possible after the accident.

I read recently (on freep, I think) that Holland was considering signing Grigorenko, but the transfer agreement was not in place with Russia, so the plan fell through.

I expect Grigorenko to play at a level very similar to what made him a top ten prospect before his accident. He seems very determined to get back and to be a good player. Broken bones typically heal stronger than they were before, so other than his year of not playing hockey, I don't expect his development to have been affected as much as some suggest.

I've heard that he has gained a good bit of weight (up to about 220lbs), and hasn't really lost any of his speed, which, especially considering his accident, is pretty amazing.