• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
norrisnick

Which goalie is elite?

Rate this topic

Which goalie is elite?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hahahahahaha, I guessed who the two goalies were before I even voted; didn't even need to look up the stats--though I did later to confirm it. Predictable, considering the banter around here lately.

Yeah I knew pretty much right off the bat as well. Nice one nn thumbup.gif

Don't forget...

Goalie A's save percentage a couple more decimal points ouy is .91022, Goalie B's is .91018.

Edited by eva unit zero

Yeah I knew pretty much right off the bat as well. Nice one nn thumbup.gif

Don't forget...

Goalie A's save percentage a couple more decimal points ouy is .91022, Goalie B's is .91018.

Yeah, like I said I couldn't really believe it when I saw it. Craziness.

peace

Let's try the playoffs, shall we?

Goalie A 5 1 4 0 109 12 2.51 97 .890 0

Goalie B 23 16 7 0 598 40 1.71 558 .933 5

I don't know if you watched any of the games but the 18 skaters did everything in their power to lose that series. Brutal is the only way to describe it and I've used that term often with regards to the 1st round vs the Sharks.

But then again it begs the question, you don't think Osgood could have done a bit better for himself playing behind Tampa's team? The Bolts elevated their play for the playoffs and the Blues dropped off precipitously and it wasn't Osgood's doing.

And yes the cat is now out of the bag. wink.gif

Goalie A is Chris Osgood playing behind St. Louis.

Goalie B is Nikolai Khabibulin playing behind Tampa Bay.

peace

And just to stave off any assertions of my insanity, I'm not claiming Osgood is Khabibulin's equal or better. I just saw the numbers for Nikolai and couldn't believe how low they were with regards to his aura.

Would he still have commanded $6-7M/yr had the Bolts flamed out of the playoffs? Or even lost in the Finals?

peace

Let's try the playoffs, shall we?

Goalie A 5 1 4 0 109 12 2.51 97 .890 0

Goalie B 23 16 7 0 598 40 1.71 558 .933 5

I don't know if you watched any of the games but the 18 skaters did everything in their power to lose that series. Brutal is the only way to describe it and I've used that term often with regards to the 1st round vs the Sharks.

But then again it begs the question, you don't think Osgood could have done a bit better for himself playing behind Tampa's team? The Bolts elevated their play for the playoffs and the Blues dropped off precipitously and it wasn't Osgood's doing.

And yes the cat is now out of the bag. wink.gif

Goalie A is Chris Osgood playing behind St. Louis.

Goalie B is Nikolai Khabibulin playing behind Tampa Bay.

peace

Sorry if I ruined the fun. It was a nice setup. I'm pretty sure Osgood would have done better for himself on Tampa Bay, but I'm also pretty sure that Tampa Bay wouldn't have won a Stanley Cup with Osgood in the net. Sure there's no way I can prove this, but call it an educated guess. This only proves that the regular season is not the time to evaluate a goalie. What makes a goalie elite is his ability to perform when the stakes are high and the pressure is ON! I don't think Osgood has got what it takes anymore, despite him having won before.

On 8/6/2005 at 11:55 AM, norrisnick said:

And just to stave off any assertions of my insanity, I'm not claiming Osgood is Khabibulin's equal or better. I just saw the numbers for Nikolai and couldn't believe how low they were with regards to his aura.

Would he still have commanded $6-7M/yr had the Bolts flamed out of the playoffs? Or even lost in the Finals?

peace

He probably would have.  He was well above average.