• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

WITT REQUESTS TRADE FROM CAPITALS

Rate this topic

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spectors_...de_rumours.html

WASHINGTON POST: Tarik El-Bashir reports veteran Capitals defenceman Brendan Witt is requesting a trade to a contender. With the Caps in obvious rebuilding mode, Witt said he'd like to be dealt to a team with a chance to win now, and would prefer to be moved by the start of training camp in September. GM George McPhee tells the Post he intends to honour Witt's request.

You have got to be kidding me to say that we are no longer a contender, you make me sick. We are still a contender, and yes we will make it into the playoffs, there is no doubt about that. Brendan Witt would be a very nice player to get, he has size, he's physical, and he is tough, all of which we need, he is a strong defender. He makes around 1.5 mill., but it seems to me that if he is wanting to go to a contender so badly, he could be had for less, probably wouldn't mind re-negotiating his contract down to about a mill even. I say we should consider him highly, he would add that toughness that we're lacking. Consider it.

We would offer nothing but draft picks, or at the most b level prospects. Washington won't be looking to anything more than that.

Right now the Wings have about 10mil to spend.

Here's how I think it would shake out:

Zetterburg: 2.2

Datsyuk: 3.3

Kronwall: 0.9

Williams: 0.6

Total: 7.0

That leaves about 3mil to sign roughly 3 players.

I think Witt is a nice option to toughen up the Defense. 1.5mil

Gratton or Simpson is a good option upfront. appox. 1.0mil

So we got .5mil to sign some nobody to fill a roster postion, so what. Or sign that Per guy from Sweden.

The other option is to use that spot to rotate up minors like Mowers and Bootland.

Heres how the roster looks in this situation:

Forwards: Defense: Goaltending:

Yzermann Chelios Osgood

Datsyuk Fisher Legace

Zetterburg Lindstrom

Lang Schneider

Shanahan Witt

Draper Kronwall

Maltby

Holmstrum

Williams

Franzen

Gratton/Simpson

Per, somebody real cheap or Use minors

If you go around the league at look at other teams rosters, this is among the best.

To make a short story long, I think the Wings should go after Witt. He is a gritty, tough, stay-at-home defenseman, which is somethink they really need.

You have got to be kidding me to say that we are no longer a contender, you make me sick. We are still a contender, and yes we will make it into the playoffs, there is no doubt about that.

There is plenty of doubt.

That having been said, I think the team is far more set on defense than offense, and if we are going to make a trade for anybody, it needs to be for a decently-priced forward.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/det050809.html

Wings have $10M to spend

TheFourthPeriod.com

With the arrival of goalie Chris Osgood, the Wings' roster is now marked at 15 and that leaves about $10 million left under the salary cap.

According to the Detroit Free Press, more than half of that amount will go toward signing restricted free agent forwards Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg

Restricted free agent defenseman Niklas Kronwall and forward Jason Williams also need to be signed.

The Detroit News reports the Wings may be exploring the trade angle, as the club is also looking to get one more defenseman and two forwards.

"I would think it's going to take all summer," Wings GM Ken Holland told the News of re-signing his RFAs. "But that's pretty normal (with restricted free agents)."

Datsyuk's agent, Gary Greenstin, told the News that while nothing is on paper, his client has an understanding in place to play with Moscow Dynamo in Russia if an agreement isn't reached with the Wings.

You have got to be kidding me to say that we are no longer a contender, you make me sick. We are still a contender, and yes we will make it into the playoffs, there is no doubt about that. Brendan Witt would be a very nice player to get, he has size, he's physical, and he is tough, all of which we need, he is a strong defender. He makes around 1.5 mill., but it seems to me that if he is wanting to go to a contender so badly, he could be had for less, probably wouldn't mind re-negotiating his contract down to about a mill even. I say we should consider him highly, he would add that toughness that we're lacking. Consider it.

Excuse me man, I was just asking that question because of Zetterberg and Datsyuk status... you never know...

Frankly I think Detroit's forwards - assuming they sign Dats and Zetterberg - looks much better than there defensemen. Lidstrom is a lock but then you have a young defensemen in Kronwall, Fischer who needs to learn how to pass a puck, Chelios who can't be relied on to play a top 4 role and Schneider, who can make plays but will be a liability on the ice. Witt would bring some stability to a defence that I think is far too loose on the ice. Having him out there for under 2 million gives us a lot more flexability and depth.... I don't mind Rivers as the 7th guy but who knows if he's the sixth, who is going to step in when the old timers need a game off?