• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Yzerman#19

Yzerman#19

Neon Knight

• PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:32 AM

The Wings are in Desperate NEED of a tough guy! A tough guy does sooo much more than drop the gloves! He is the unmoveable object and the irresistable force rolled into one! He has a presence that plays on his opponents fears, keeping them in line & off their game! It's a huge, important job and no one on the Wings has been getting it done for a long time now. And this fact is at the very heart of all the Wings recent playoff woes.
New Rules...New Schmules. The team with a true tough guy, with a good head on his shoulders, who knows his role, will always have an advantage in the NHL.

And Dude! Whoever up there was listing Homer as a tough guy.......?!?!?
I Love Homer and what he brings to the team...but a tough guy?!? LMAO
"A connecting principle linked to the invisible. Almost imperceptible, something inexpressible. Science insusceptible. Logic so inflexable. Causally connectible. Yet nothing is invincible."

#22 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (hockeycrazy3033 @ August 13, 2005 - 11:49PM)
not just yes..but HELL YES.

Steve Webb is pretty sweet. They don't call him train wreck for nothin.

Webb is a wreck. He's been plagued by injuries for too many seasons to be effective anymore.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#23 LeDs

LeDs

LeDs

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:17 PM

Desperately need a tough guy/enforcer. The Wings had fewer fights than any team in the NHL last year, we can't afford to get any softer. We need to keep the opposition honest and open up room for our skill players. Teams can be intimidated and it DOES affect their play. The only fit i see is Todd Simpson or some young guy just coming up.

#24 Neil#25

Neil#25

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Saran @ August 10, 2005 - 11:16PM)
i said no, we dont need to fight too much with teh new rules

Rules? You really think these guys care about rules? They haven't played NHL hockey for a year, they will be itching for an NHL fight. Opening night is going to be explosive fightingwise. Who will fight Downey on opening night, Bootland?
The Wings need a toughguy, bottom line.

Edited by Neil#25, 22 August 2005 - 12:42 PM.

#25 CelticWing34

CelticWing34

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Bliz @ August 12, 2005 - 09:48AM)
Even though tough guys kinda have the rules stacked against them, the Wings still need someone to do their dirty work. I think we'll probably see even fewer fights this season, but it would be great to see a big, hard-hitting winger added to the Wings' roster. If he can also fight, outstanding.

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
B! E! L! L! I! S! S! I! M! O! What does that spell? Bellissimo! And what does it mean? Sooo beautiful!

user posted image

#26 Hockey Master

Hockey Master

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Bliz @ August 12, 2005 - 08:48AM)
Even though tough guys kinda have the rules stacked against them, the Wings still need someone to do their dirty work. I think we'll probably see even fewer fights this season, but it would be great to see a big, hard-hitting winger added to the Wings' roster. If he can also fight, outstanding.

Good call.

#27 TheNewGreatOne87

TheNewGreatOne87

Go Wings

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:26 PM

have one

DARRYL BOOTLAND thumbup.gif

hes a fighting machine, just give him a shot, he racks up the pim with his fighting, just look at his stats

#28 Sepster

Sepster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

We need to go back in time and bring Probie back...minus the coke

I know this is fairly callous and I don't mean to affend anyone, But Probie never was the same player after he got "cleaned up." Neither was McCarty after he became sober (which of course was great for him).

It seems to be a very unfortunate situation where some enforcers are great because of substance abuse.

#29 Production Line

Production Line

Rock The Casbah...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:45 AM

Wheres a healthy Trow Crowder when you need him...
And what color is the sky in your world...

#30 Terrible Ted

Terrible Ted

Hell Raiser

• 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:56 AM

These people voting "no" are basicly voting saying "No I don't want to see the Red Wings win the Cup this season." Me, I voted "yes" because I would like to see The Red Wings do well in the playoffs.

#31 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (Sepster @ August 27, 2005 - 08:51PM)

I know this is fairly callous and I don't mean to affend anyone, But Probie never was the same player after he got "cleaned up." Neither was McCarty after he became sober (which of course was great for him).

It seems to be a very unfortunate situation where some enforcers are great because of substance abuse.

No offense taken. A drunk is a drunk. Addict is an addict. No matter their job.
I agree with your post.

They did what they did. We'll never know for sure why?

I do know we wouldn't let Keith Richards play 4th line tough guy just because he's high though right?

Probie and Mac have skills......and may they stay sober. And may Bootland keep Stevie safe. You hear us Boots??????

#32 Neil#25

Neil#25

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (TheNewGreatOne87 @ August 27, 2005 - 08:26PM)
have one

hes a fighting machine, just give him a shot, he racks up the pim with his fighting, just look at his stats

I love Bootland, I think he is a great player and fighter but he will not be able protect the Wings from the likes of Cairns. Sure he will fight them but if it is a guy like Cairns then he won't be scared of fighting Bootland so he will take shots at the Wings. Where as if you have a huge toughguy, like Cairns, he might not take as much shots at the Wings because he will be in for a tough scrap.

#33 Hatcher#2

Hatcher#2

Know Your Role

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (Neil#25 @ August 30, 2005 - 12:10PM)
QUOTE (TheNewGreatOne87 @ August 27, 2005 - 08:26PM)
have one

I love Bootland, I think he is a great player and fighter but he will not be able protect the Wings from the likes of Cairns. Sure he will fight them but if it is a guy like Cairns then he won't be scared of fighting Bootland so he will take shots at the Wings. Where as if you have a huge toughguy, like Cairns, he might not take as much shots at the Wings because he will be in for a tough scrap.

Exactly right and Holland knows this that is why he said "we have no toughness" meaning that we have no one to fight the heavyweights in the league and Holland said that he would address this through waivers or trades.
"Wanna go pretty boy" Carl Racki

#34 Austrianwing

Austrianwing

On Waivers

• PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:36 AM

I voted a hearty YES. I am not much for the kind of tough guy arms race that has the Scott Parkers of the world on the ice, (let's not forget that Probie actually could play hockey). But I think that having some serious back-up would change the complexion of this team.
I think it's pretty ridiculous to expect Shanny to be the closest thing to a heavyweight we have. Although I think a lot of people forget how well he's held his own in the past ( not fair to call some-one who went toe to toe with Probie a ***** really), he's not the youngest anymore.
I'm rambling after all these beers, but having at least a half assed heavy would allow everyone else on the team to defend themselves without having to worry about dealing with the other teams tough guy...

#35 carpediem

carpediem

To Thine Own Self Be True

• 35 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (DaKineMaui @ August 12, 2005 - 05:11PM)
EXACTLY.....could not agree more.  Watching hockey on some nights, I do NOT care how good the D is or the scoring should be or how hot the goalkeep is - if you're getting pushed around like a bi**H every shift and no calls are being made?  You're not going to win that night.

Complain all you want that night - OR - have someone who can take care of it in the first period next time.

Yeah, I'd like to see someone in the Enforcer role. The enclosed quote reminded me of the Calgary series in the 03/04 finals. How frustrating to watch your team get bowled over? Finesse and precision don't mean anything if the other guys can neutralize your skills by slapping the RW around.

carpe diem.

#36 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:10 PM

how far off is this big snake guy? I know he's just a prospect but he didn't hesitate to drop the gloves pretty freaking quick against a much bigger opponent in camp. Maybe we could call him up when we needed too?

#37 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:24 AM

I didn't grow up in Canada, so I probably don't have crucial bits of knowledge on fighting. So please, explain it to me. I have been watching NHL hockey for the last 12 years or so, and in 90% of the cases when there's a fight, a typical situation occurs:

Something happens in the game, e.g. instigator X does something dirty to a skilled player Y. In the next shift or so, enforcer for Y's team challenges the enforcer for X's team. They proceed to beat each other bloody and proudly go out for 5 min., or a game. At no point in time is X actually punished.

So how is this "policing the game"? Please hold the outrage, I do not mean to insult or challenge anybody, just trying to understand.

Edited by sibiriak, 10 September 2005 - 09:28 AM.

#38 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (sibiriak @ September 10, 2005 - 10:24AM)
I didn't grow up in Canada, so I probably don't have crucial bits of knowledge on fighting. So please, explain it to me. I have been watching NHL hockey for the last 12 years or so, and in 90% of the cases when there's a fight, a typical situation occurs:

Something happens in the game, e.g. instigator X does something dirty to a skilled player Y. In the next shift or so, enforcer for Y's team challenges the enforcer for X's team. They proceed to beat each other bloody and proudly go out for 5 min., or a game. At no point in time is X actually punished.

So how is this "policing the game"? Please hold the outrage, I do not mean to insult or challenge anybody, just trying to understand.

It's simply a question of standing up. If nothing happens when instigator X does something dirty, it sends the message that you can get away with it and if that happens your team is generally in big trouble. The opposing team now has a huge psychological advantage and before you know it they're all tough guys taking liberties in every situation.

#39 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (RyanBarnes! @ September 10, 2005 - 09:37AM)

So how is this "policing the game"?  Please hold the outrage, I do not mean to insult or challenge anybody, just trying to understand.

It's simply a question of standing up. If nothing happens when instigator X does something dirty, it sends the message that you can get away with it and if that happens your team is generally in big trouble. The opposing team now has a huge psychological advantage and before you know it they're all tough guys taking liberties in every situation.

But what is it that would deter a non-enforcer type player from playing dirty? He never has to fight. Its like the teams enforcer is the whipping boy for the rest of the team. Will the enforcer beat up the offenders on his own team after the game for making him fight? Otherwise, I don't see any punihment for dirty play.

#40 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (sibiriak @ September 10, 2005 - 11:08AM)
QUOTE (RyanBarnes! @ September 10, 2005 - 09:37AM)

So how is this "policing the game"?  Please hold the outrage, I do not mean to insult or challenge anybody, just trying to understand.

But what is it that would deter a non-enforcer type player from playing dirty? He never has to fight. Its like the teams enforcer is the whipping boy for the rest of the team. Will the enforcer beat up the offenders on his own team after the game for making him fight? Otherwise, I don't see any punihment for dirty play.

Any player that plays dirty will have to fight sooner or later (enforcer or not). Players don't let a dirty play slip. If the player won't respond to the challenge, a teammate may step up in his place. Usually an enforcer. The enforcer won't be there every time though. If you play dirty, you will be punished. Someone will just grab a hold and start throwing.

An enforcer fighting another enforcer is more of a psychological battle. One that not seldom will affect the outcome of the game.

Edited by RyanBarnes!, 10 September 2005 - 10:46 AM.