Photo
- - - - -

Red Wings first tough guy invite to camp...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

He's an Avery type of player, but more fearless and bigger than McCarty

#22 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:34 PM

He's an Avery type of player, but more fearless and bigger than McCarty

That is fantastic. It's actually something to be excited about.

#23 DraperFan MN

DraperFan MN

Minnesota Wing Man

• HoF Booster
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:39 PM

I wonder why the invite to training camp? Looks like he can, and will, make Grand Rapids, maybe this is one of those good deals Holland is looking for to get tougher?
....Cheering for McCarty.

#24 habscout

habscout

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

This guy was dropped from his Western Hockey League team early last season, then somehow managed to be picked up by an Ontario Hockey League team [Owen Sound] later that same season. They mentioned specifically in the article "...we were unable to get Robin to channel his competitiveness and talent, which are two of his biggest assets, in the right direction. Unfortunately, I felt he was a distraction to what we need to do as a team and Sunday night it got to the point where I had to act.�. Man, I wonder what he did to get cut from his team, punch out the coach or another player?

http://www.winterhaw...id=275&Itemid=2

#25 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:24 PM

Supposedly, after he went to camp with Hartford and was the last one cut, he thought his poopy didn't stink wink.gif and he was a bit too cocky for the locker room. He's got some growing up to do, but he's worth the wait

#26 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

Supposedly, after he went to camp with Hartford and was the last one cut, he thought his poopy didn't stink  and he was a bit too cocky for the locker room. He's got some growing up to do, but he's worth the wait

Hmmm... Nothing Shanahan probably couldn't help with. Sounds like a great risk to take. Leadership and maturity is something we have an abundance of.

#27 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 11, 2005 - 02:36PM)

Hmmm... Nothing Shanahan probably couldn't help with. Sounds like a great risk to take. Leadership and maturity is something we have an abundance of.

nice said!!!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#28 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 11, 2005 - 02:36PM)

Should have kept Kocur around...
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#29 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:22 PM

Numbers shmumbers............Get a contract in front of this punk ASAP.

Cut for being arrogant? Bad attitude? Cocky? Some call that 'swagger'.
We could use some of that stuff. I agree - we're due from some excitement.

And that name? Just makes it a no-brainer, so to speak.

Go vote in this thread too >>TOUGH GUY poll.

#30 fightfan24

fightfan24

Enforcer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (DaKineMaui @ August 11, 2005 - 06:22PM)
Numbers shmumbers............Get a contract in front of this punk ASAP.

Cut for being arrogant? Bad attitude? Cocky? Some call that 'swagger'.
We could use some of that stuff. I agree - we're due from some excitement.

And that name? Just makes it a no-brainer, so to speak.

Go vote in this thread too >>TOUGH GUY poll.

I agree this team can use all the swag it can get.

#31 Bliz

Bliz

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:59 AM

He might be a good addition to Grand Rapids or our ECHL team but I'd rather see someone established added to the Wings. It'll be interesting to see how he does in camp, though. The Wings have done pretty well the last few years with young free agents.

#32 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

He might be a good addition to Grand Rapids or our ECHL team but I'd rather see someone established added to the Wings. It'll be interesting to see how he does in camp, though. The Wings have done pretty well the last few years with young free agents.

I doubt he'll make the big club, but he could easily put fans in the seats. A guy by the name of Big Snake that is big and a pain in the ass, could easily make fans not so bitter about losing McCarty. I would love to see him wear the winged wheel this season.

#33 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (DaKineMaui @ August 11, 2005 - 05:22PM)
Cut for being arrogant?  Bad attitude?  Cocky?  Some call that 'swagger'.

If it starts to rub off on teammates and causes problems in the locker room, that's not a good thing. Especially when the locker room is full of high school-age kids. It can ruin a team. "One rotten apple spoils the bunch"

Edited by joshy207, 12 August 2005 - 11:22 AM.

#34 fightfan24

fightfan24

Enforcer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (joshy207 @ August 12, 2005 - 12:22PM)
If it starts to rub off on teammates and causes problems in the locker room, that's not a good thing. Especially when the locker room is full of high school-age kids. It can ruin a team. "One rotten apple spoils the bunch"

Thats when you sit him down and have a talk -- I cannot see a veteran team like Detroit getting shaken up by a prospect. He would be a nice project.

#35 DaKineMaui

DaKineMaui

Alii Nui

• Gold Booster
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (fightfan24 @ August 12, 2005 - 02:30PM)
Thats when you sit him down and have a talk -- I cannot see a veteran team like Detroit getting shaken up by a prospect. He would be a nice project.

EXACTLY......something new. A new project.
He'd fill the tough-guy void too. And still, just his name is worth league minimum.

And also, EXACTLY on a potential locker room problem. In the time it's taking me to type this, Captain Yzerman could have ANY player on this roster pack their bags, board a bus and get sent away to wherever. Quicker than Babcock could is my guess.

Besides, the risk? League minimum and a few months of regular season hockey.....maybe 5 minutes ice time a night. Max him out at 8 minutes. Hell - scratch him or bench him.

Be forewarned: FILLING your entire roster with "experienced" players that have "proven" skills is a thing of the past.

Let's have some fun with it is all.
OK.....now let's find that red dot at center ice and drop a puck on it!

thumbup.gif

#36 Hockey Master

Hockey Master

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:51 PM

Big Snake's WHL team released him during their training camp, and no other WHL team wanted him. After he cleared waivers, Owen Sound, in the OHL, gambled on him, and they even sent him home during last season. He also got suspended just before the OHL playoffs for abusing on an on-ice official.

There were many stories about Big Snake constantly breaking the team rules and being a bad influence in the lockroom.

I saw Big Snake go after a linesman, trying to put him in the penalty box, at a Plymouth Whaler game.

There's a reason he was signed in the UHL - remember this is the league that had a coach punch a player on the opposing team last season.

#37 hailyes

hailyes

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:55 PM

I saw him twice this season here in Plymouth; he's the type of guy you hate playing against but on your team you'd love him. He was benched coming down the stretch for the playoffs but when you have the skill Owen Sound had sitting him didn't hurt them.

#38 Hockey Master

Hockey Master

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (hailyes @ August 12, 2005 - 08:55PM)
I saw him twice this season here in Plymouth; he's the type of guy you hate playing against but on your team you'd love him. He was benched coming down the stretch for the playoffs but when you have the skill Owen Sound had sitting him didn't hurt them.

That's why they lost 4 straight to Kitchener, right?

#39 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:38 AM

That has got to be the best name in hockey. EVER.

I thought the same...that it was a nickname, but damn..we need to get this guy! He looks MEAN..hahaha
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#40 hailyes

hailyes

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Hockey Master @ August 13, 2005 - 03:31AM)
That's why they lost 4 straight to Kitchener, right?

At least O.S. got out of the first round, eh?