• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#41 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ August 15, 2005 - 12:03PM)
QUOTE (LIDDYGIBBY5 @ August 15, 2005 - 11:56AM)
QUOTE (TNBT @ August 15, 2005 - 11:39AM)
Eklund still appears to be the only one reporting this, so perhaps it isn't true?

Even if it is true though, it isn't the worst thing in the world.  I would have ratherd get Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall re-signed before I go signing guys like Delmore, but if the deal does happen, and it is "cheap" as Eklund reports, then hopedully it wont effect our chances at re-signing the other 3.

At the end of the day though, if this signing goes through, then we haven't addressed our need for size, but we have added some good depth to the blue-line and we could always throw Delmore onto the wing to take advantage of his offensive skills.

Not the worst move in the world, but not the smartest either.

We don't have the luxury of signing every player we want to. That is why we now have a salary cap. We need to get the best players that price will allow. The most important thing to do is re-sign our players. Dats for $3M hopefully, Hank for $2, and Kronwall for $850,000. We have to leave that and about another $1M for a little breathing room under the cap. That all means we can't go crazy signing people and have to be smart about it. We take who we can that fits under the cap.

Best players for what we NEED:

Brad Brown
Todd Simpson

Not another soft, puck moving d-man mad.gif

Brad Brown http://www.tsn.ca/nh...id=175&hubName=

Assets Plays an intimidating game from the back end, and can also drop the gloves at will. Has excellent leadership qualities.

Flaws Lacks foot speed and has trouble going up against shifty forwards in the NHL. Has not developed his defensive game as well as expected.

Career potential No. 6 or 7 defenseman.

Total NHL 330 2 27 29 -16 747 108 1.85

Sounds like a winner

"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week." Herb Brooks

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#42 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:16 AM

Assets Plays an intimidating game from the back end, and can also drop the gloves at will. Has excellent leadership qualities.

Flaws Lacks foot speed and has trouble going up against shifty forwards in the NHL. Has not developed his defensive game as well as expected.

Sounds like a winner

Perfect player for our needs. You don't want to pay 3 million for a star to sit in the penalty box for 5-7 minutes a night.

#43 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ August 15, 2005 - 01:03PM)
Eklund still appears to be the only one reporting this, so perhaps it isn't true?

Even if it is true though, it isn't the worst thing in the world.  I would have ratherd get Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall re-signed before I go signing guys like Delmore, but if the deal does happen, and it is "cheap" as Eklund reports, then hopedully it wont effect our chances at re-signing the other 3.

At the end of the day though, if this signing goes through, then we haven't addressed our need for size, but we have added some good depth to the blue-line and we could always throw Delmore onto the wing to take advantage of his offensive skills.

We don't have the luxury of signing every player we want to. That is why we now have a salary cap. We need to get the best players that price will allow. The most important thing to do is re-sign our players. Dats for $3M hopefully, Hank for $2, and Kronwall for $850,000. We have to leave that and about another $1M for a little breathing room under the cap. That all means we can't go crazy signing people and have to be smart about it. We take who we can that fits under the cap.

Brad Brown
Todd Simpson

See there's to sides two every story right.

Brad Brown? Why would a small skilled team like Minnesota trade him for a 4th rounder. Especially if he was their captain.

Todd Simpson? Why would Ottawa let him go. This team needs toughness as much as the Red Wings.

While I'm not supportive of the rumored signing of Delmore, you have to remember that their are factors involved here that remain unknown to us.

Edited by rick zombo, 15 August 2005 - 11:17 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#44 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 15, 2005 - 12:16PM)

Sounds like a winner

Perfect player for our needs. You don't want to pay 3 million for a star to sit in the penalty box for 5-7 minutes a night.

A bad player who can't play D is not a good player for us. Even if the league cuts 25% of the holding and obstructing out of the game, he becomes worthless because he can't handle someone who skates.
"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week." Herb Brooks

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#45 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:25 AM

A bad player who can't play D is not a good player for us. Even if the league cuts 25% of the holding and obstructing out of the game, he becomes worthless because he can't handle someone who skates.

Whats so hard to understand here? We don't need him to skate and play terrific defense. Thats why we have Lidstrom, Schneider, Kronwall, Fischer, and to a lesser extent Chelios. We need him to fight. He'll maybe get 5 minutes of ice time on a good night. His job isn't to handle some who skates.

#46 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 15, 2005 - 12:25PM)

Whats so hard to understand here? We don't need him to skate and play terrific defense. Thats why we have Lidstrom, Schneider, Kronwall, Fischer, and to a lesser extent Chelios. We need him to fight. He'll maybe get 5 minutes of ice time on a good night. His job isn't to handle some who skates.

So we are willing to just give up great scoring oppertunities when he is on the ice? There isn't going to be the ammount of fighting in the NHL as there has been in previous years. We need good players, not someone who just takes up space and SUCKS.

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#47 MacAttack25

MacAttack25

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:27 AM

Even though this doesn't address the toughness factory,I really like Delmore.Good player.

#48 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 15, 2005 - 12:25PM)

Not playing terriffic defense seems to be right up his alley. Not playing any defense is what we will get!

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#49 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:34 AM

Let's not get carried away, has this been confirmed by a reliable source?
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#50 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:41 AM

So we are willing to just give up great scoring oppertunities when he is on the ice? There isn't going to be the ammount of fighting in the NHL as there has been in previous years. We need good players, not someone who just takes up space and SUCKS.

I'm pretty sure he won't be out against the top lines. Do you know how this game even works? How do you know there isn't going to be as much fighting? Do you have a time machine? Just because it's a possibility doesn't mean s**t. Brad Brown is going to protect. He is good at protecting. When Yzerman gets hit with a cheapshot, who's gonna stand up for him? Our top line winger Shanahan? Ha. Wake up. Just because he's not a 5'6 120lbs fairy doesn't mean he's not effective at what he does.

Not playing terriffic defense seems to be right up his alley. Not playing any defense is what we will get!

Duh. How many times do you want me to repeat it? WE DON'T NEED HIM FOR DEFENSE. WE DON't NEED HIM FOR DEFENSE. Let me know how many times you want me to repeat this.

#51 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 15, 2005 - 12:41PM)

I'm pretty sure he won't be out against the top lines. Do you know how this game even works? How do you know there isn't going to be as much fighting? Do you have a time machine? Just because it's a possibility doesn't mean s**t. Brad Brown is going to protect. He is good at protecting. When Yzerman gets hit with a cheapshot, who's gonna stand up for him? Our top line winger Shanahan? Ha. Wake up. Just because he's not a 5'6 120lbs fairy doesn't mean he's not effective at what he does.

Duh. How many times do you want me to repeat it? WE DON'T NEED HIM FOR DEFENSE. WE DON't NEED HIM FOR DEFENSE. Let me know how many times you want me to repeat this.

If he doesn't play offense, and he doesn't play offense, then he is a drain on the salary cap. With the new rules on fighting, he will spend more time suspended or in the box then he will on the ice. Maybe that is a good thing because you admit that he can't play offense or defense!

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#52 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 15, 2005 - 12:41PM)

With suspensions for fights in the last five mins of a game and the refs throwing around the extra two for instigation for most of the glove droppings, fights are going to be down. I don't need a time machiene to come to that conclusion, just a little common sense.

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#53 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:53 AM

If he doesn't play offense, and he doesn't play offense, then he is a drain on the salary cap. With the new rules on fighting, he will spend more time suspended or in the box then he will on the ice. Maybe that is a good thing because you admit that he can't play offense or defense!

He cannot play offense, correct. He doesn't even play defense well. Everybody is a drain on the cap. He's got experience, is a leader, and can fight. For $450,000, I don't know what kind of top notch offensive or defensive talent that's available for salary minimum, but it's prolly not that good. Why do you assume that only offensive players are going to have an impact this year? Fighting will still be an important role in hockey. I would rather have the option than not.

#54 doublejack

doublejack

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ August 15, 2005 - 12:02PM)
QUOTE (redwings1914 @ August 15, 2005 - 11:44AM)
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have always thought that Delmore is a great player!!!!

Good move Kenny!!! (finally tongue.gif)

uh oh............... its eklund..........

When did you think that? When he washed out in Nashville? How does this make up for the loss of Hatcher? This signing, if true is a joke. He's an AHL player that on his best day can get 5-6 minutes at the NHL level. Don't we have enough puck moving defensemen? Who's going to make opposing forwards pay the pricein the defensive zone? Who's going to keep opposing forwards honest.

Fischer. If he doesn't turn into a punisher then he's a bust. It's that simple really.

#55 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 15, 2005 - 12:53PM)

He cannot play offense, correct. He doesn't even play defense well. Everybody is a drain on the cap. He's got experience, is a leader, and can fight. For $450,000, I don't know what kind of top notch offensive or defensive talent that's available for salary minimum, but it's prolly not that good. Why do you assume that only offensive players are going to have an impact this year? Fighting will still be an important role in hockey. I would rather have the option than not.

With the league actually showing some effort with the whole obstruction and nuetral zone holding thing, offensive players are going to be worth a lot. The whole point of the rules changes is to increase scoring. Toughness is still important, but you don't need to be a goon to be tough. People with talent can be tough. Fighting is on the way down. There will still be some, but if you only watch hockey to see a fight, you will be very unhappy with the new product. Look at all the players who didn't get qualifying offers from there teams and are now UFA. Some solid players who are young tough and have talent, for the league min.

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#56 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:58 AM

With suspensions for fights in the last five mins of a game and the refs throwing around the extra two for instigation for most of the glove droppings, fights are going to be down. I don't need a time machiene to come to that conclusion, just a little common sense.

Doesn't matter, we still need some who will stick up for teammates. Are you worried about losing Brown to a suspension?

#57 LIDDYGIBBY5

LIDDYGIBBY5

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 935 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 15, 2005 - 12:58PM)

Doesn't matter, we still need some who will stick up for teammates. Are you worried about losing Brown to a suspension?

I'm worried about paying a player who sucks. I don't care if he signs for the league min, that is money that could be spent on someone with a hint of talent.

2 16

33 To The Rafters!!

#58 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (LIDDYGIBBY5 @ August 15, 2005 - 12:13PM)
QUOTE (Barnes52 @ August 15, 2005 - 12:03PM)

Brad Brown
Todd Simpson

Sounds like a winner

Well...Andy Delmore? Soft and a defensive liability....sounds like a loser! Plus couldn't even handle playing in Nashville

#59 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:04 PM

With the league actually showing some effort with the whole obstruction and nuetral zone holding thing, offensive players are going to be worth a lot. The whole point of the rules changes is to increase scoring. Toughness is still important, but you don't need to be a goon to be tough. People with talent can be tough. Fighting is on the way down. There will still be some, but if you only watch hockey to see a fight, you will be very unhappy with the new product. Look at all the players who didn't get qualifying offers from there teams and are now UFA. Some solid players who are young tough and have talent, for the league min.

Yet again, saying they are cutting down on obstruction and doing it are 2 different things. They've said that in the past before too. None the less, we cannot afford talented players who are tough. Everybody from here on out has a serious problem is some aspect of their game. I would love to have talented tough guys, but we have to be realistic. Brown has good leadership qualities too, which is never a bad thing. I'm not saying Brown has all the answers, but he's an option and a good one at that.

#60 westcoast

westcoast

The Red Wings and The Ghoul - Always best of friends !

• PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

any link to an article saying we signed this guy....?