• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#141 fightfan24

fightfan24

Enforcer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ August 15, 2005 - 03:40PM)

Wouldn't you like to know. Sorry, not interested, I'm married. biggrin.gif

While Chelios may not be a typical "Goon" he is willing to get into tussles with some pretty big dudes... does anyone remember he and Bertuzzi going at it?

Well I do agree it takes some balls to go with Bertuzzi, I'm a little worried that our "goon" is 43 years old. During the 2004 season he also took on someone from Nashville, I forget his name, that was 23. He didn't do too bad, but he certainly didn't look comfortable.

Bad example, because they had Big Bert to make him pay the price, which was way over board. But, if somebody took a shot like that at Yzerman, I would want more than an apology. A goon won't stop any hitting, but it won't encourage people to run over us.

I didn't realize he had the chance.

I didn't see much of Hatcher to judge his play.

Probert? The alltime greatest fighter is now lounging in his backyard in Windsor sipping an ice tea awaiting his next court date -- out of the game for four years. (he'd still be our best fighter, lol).

#142 kocur26_26

kocur26_26

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (mutherpucker27 @ August 15, 2005 - 03:36PM)
But having a guy who can fight and be a solid 4th liner will have no impact on our w/l record, regular season OR playoffs. I'm more concerned w/ the ppl who are going to play than the ppl who are going to sit on the bench. We need more grit, obviously, but we need more grit from the players on our top 3 lines, not from worthless goons who aren't going to play. That's coaching and mentality, and I *hope* that'll be fixed w/ Babcock.

Having a guy who can fight on the 4th line will impact our win/loss record by protecting our stars. Whats to stop a player from targeting our stars and giving them cheap shots if there is no one who can keep them in line. Our star players will all be beat up and not able to play at 100%.

#143 mutherpucker27

mutherpucker27

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

Barnes: Well, you're not the only person who's commented, and most ppl seem to want some guy who can't play, just fight. Worse, they want to waste a defenseman's slot on a guy like that.

lol, and you should see the Bruins' reactions when they got Scatchard. The "Fire Mike O'Connell" cries were out in force. While Isles fans laughed at them and told them to get used to a worthless, lazy player. So I dunno, maybe they all don't know what they're talking about, or maybe Scatchard isn't that great. *shrugs* I wouldn't have objected to that signing, I don't think.

And isn't Lapointe still making like 2 mill? That's too much, w/ our cap problems.

I dunno, I see where you're coming from, but I don't think its going to make or break the season. And I frankly dislike free agent signings in general. I'd rather fill a need w/ someone from w/i the organization than a merc. Mercs rarely fix a problem, they just put a really weak patch on it.

#144 mutherpucker27

mutherpucker27

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

Kocur: you think a goon's going to stop players from targetting our stars? Do you watch hockey? Other goons would be more likely to target our stars if we've got a goon on the ice. Whole retaliation bit.

#145 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (mutherpucker27 @ August 15, 2005 - 03:49PM)
Barnes: Well, you're not the only person who's commented, and most ppl seem to want some guy who can't play, just fight. Worse, they want to waste a defenseman's slot on a guy like that.

lol, and you should see the Bruins' reactions when they got Scatchard. The "Fire Mike O'Connell" cries were out in force. While Isles fans laughed at them and told them to get used to a worthless, lazy player. So I dunno, maybe they all don't know what they're talking about, or maybe Scatchard isn't that great. *shrugs* I wouldn't have objected to that signing, I don't think.

And isn't Lapointe still making like 2 mill? That's too much, w/ our cap problems.

I dunno, I see where you're coming from, but I don't think its going to make or break the season. And I frankly dislike free agent signings in general. I'd rather fill a need w/ someone from w/i the organization than a merc. Mercs rarely fix a problem, they just put a really weak patch on it.

He was a force for years but has had shoulder problems, serious ones. The year off helped him I'm sure, and if he plays up to his capabilities, he'll be a stud. He can score, fight and is great on face offs. I'd rather take a chance on him then a guy who couldn't find his own defensive zone with a GPS system.

#146 kocur26_26

kocur26_26

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (mutherpucker27 @ August 15, 2005 - 03:52PM)
Kocur: you think a goon's going to stop players from targetting our stars? Do you watch hockey? Other goons would be more likely to target our stars if we've got a goon on the ice. Whole retaliation bit.

I have watched and played hockey for many years.No I do not think it will stop players from targetting our stars but it will slow it down some. Guys like hatcher, domi, worrell,among many others will always hit, cheapshot, or do whatever they want because they have no fear or are players who know that is what they are getting paid for. It will stop some and send a message that the wings are not just going to lie down and take it.

#147 mutherpucker27

mutherpucker27

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

"I'd rather take a chance on him then a guy who couldn't find his own defensive zone with a GPS system."

But you wanted Gratton? tongue.gif

No, I agree w/ you in principle there, but I still prefer to build from w/i the organization than pick off free agent scalps.

kocur: it'll deter some, and it'll encourage others. I think on the whole, it'll have a nil effect. And it isn't going to affect whether we win or lose games, either way.

#148 aheer22

aheer22

The Trashcan

• Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ August 15, 2005 - 03:08PM)
Bootland is not an enforcer. So no, not happy now

Bootland is an agitator.. there is a difference: agitator: avery, bootland, nash enforcer: domi, Brasheer, McCarty (like 20 years ago)

#149 kocur26_26

kocur26_26

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:10 PM

How has this conversation gone strictly to the goons?

#150 aheer22

aheer22

The Trashcan

• Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (kocur26_26 @ August 15, 2005 - 03:24PM)
Hatcher did put fear into people. I would put him in the heavyweight category for fighters and this is what I'm talking about. NOt how well he played D. The fact he was on the Ice kept players in line when they saw someone with their heads down and could really cream them, they might think twice knowing he could be on the ice. I agree we need grit. a guy like gratton ( just an example) would have filled that need great. I hope we sign a couple of guys like that, but Wings need a heavyweight.

thats the problem.. the wings brought him here to play defense on a Norris type level.. not drop the gloves.. hell if he could play d he might still be here

#151 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

For all Hockey Einstein's, Tesla's & Edison's: If there is no need in the new NHL for goons and tough players why they HAVE:

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim: Fedoruk, Marshall

Calgary Flames: Simon, Wiemer, McCarty

Chicago Blackhawks: Lapointe, Cullimore, Barnaby, McCarthy, Vandermeer

Colorado Avalanche: Blake, Laperriere, Boughner, May, Sauer, Hinote, McCormick

Columbus Blue Jackets: Foote, Richardson, Wright, Klesla, Shelley, Westcott

Edmonton Oilers: Pronger, Peca, Smith, Staios, Moreau, Laraque, Ulanov, Harvey

Minnesota Wild: Mitchell, Nazarov, Henry, Ferguson

Nashville Predators: Tootoo, Nichol, Allison, Stevenson, Hordichuk

Phoenix Coyotes: O'Donnell, Ricci, Gauthier, Nash, Doull

San Jose Sharks: Hannan, McLaren, Thornton, Davison, Parker

St. Louis Blues: Salvador, Drake, Jackman, Low, Downey, Brewer

Vancouver Canucks: Bertuzzi, Jovanovski, Brookbank, Bouck

And this is only for the WESTERN conference...

Edited by Dominator2005, 15 August 2005 - 03:18 PM.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#152 aheer22

aheer22

The Trashcan

• Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (kocur26_26 @ August 15, 2005 - 04:10PM)
How has this conversation gone strictly to the goons?

thats people who have been around the game a long time like to talk about smile.gif

#153 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (aheer22 @ August 15, 2005 - 04:13PM)
thats the problem.. the wings brought him here to play defense on a Norris type level.. not drop the gloves.. hell if he could play d he might still be here

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

You are not going to pay $6M / year for fighiting!!!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#154 mutherpucker27

mutherpucker27

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:18 PM

*stares slackjawed* Are you seriously trying to arguing that more than 10 of the guys on that list are GOONS? For god's sake man...we are not talking about bringing in Chris Pronger for 450k! We're talking about useless players who just fill in the 4th line and play 7-8 minutes a game.

#155 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (mutherpucker27 @ August 15, 2005 - 04:18PM)
*stares slackjawed* Are you seriously trying to arguing that more than 10 of the guys on that list are GOONS? For god's sake man...we are not talking about bringing in Chris Pronger for 450k! We're talking about useless players who just fill in the 4th line and play 7-8 minutes a game.

Didn't you said that in the NEW NHL there is no need for this kind of players?!?!

Then try to imagine what you said - You want Zetterberg and Datsyuk to start hitting... Hitting who??? Fedoruk, Shelley, Laraque???

#156 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (mutherpucker27 @ August 15, 2005 - 04:18PM)

And there is at least 1 true heavyweight in all these teams...

Sure... but we have Bootland and Shanahan and Chelios... blink.gif

#157 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:26 PM

''We're talking about useless players who just fill in the 4th line and play 7-8 minutes a game.''

And you didn't want Gratton for 950k... LOGICAL

#158 mutherpucker27

mutherpucker27

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:28 PM

I said nothing about there being no need for those type of players. I said there's no need for a Sandy McCarthy or Brad Brown. There's no need for players who can't be trusted to step on the ice w/o giving up a scoring chance. Almost every player on your list can play actual hockey.

To be honest, I'd rather trade for one of those guys than sign some of the names that have been thrown around.

#159 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:30 PM

thats people who have been around the game a long time like to talk about 

I must agree. thumbup.gif

#160 mutherpucker27

mutherpucker27

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

Chris Gratton's a lazy *****. if we brought him in, we'd need to bring in someone else to protect him.