• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Henkka

Filppula signed with the Red Wings

Rate this topic

By the way,how do you say his name?Like "Fillp Puela"?

From the Griffins web site:

DETROIT SIGNS 2002 DRAFT PICK

08/19/05 - GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Friday announced the signing of center Valtteri Filppula (VAL-tuhr-ee FIHL-poo-luh) to a three-year entry-level contract.

Filppula, 21, was Detroit’s third pick in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. Last season, he helped lead Jokerit Helsinki to the finals of the Finnish Elite League, scoring 11 points (5-6â€â€11) in 12 postseason contests to rank fifth in the league and second on the club. During the regular season, Filppula finished fourth on his team with 30 points (10-20â€â€30) in 55 games.

is he going to start ???

In GR, with out a doubt. With the Wings, probably not this year on a regular basis. I would expect Holland to give a lot of these young guys as much time up in Detroit as possible, with out crossing the limit of games played to make their salary count towards the salary cap. Most people have come to the conclusion that this years team will not be a failure, but not be a top contender.

Who has the better chance of making the team-Filppula or Franzen?

By the way,how do you say his name?Like "Fillp Puela"?

From what I heard about Frazen when he was signed, Holland though he would have been ready to play in Detroit last year had the lockout not occured! biggrin.gif

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_tracker.html

Just incase anyone was interested, Three year deal.

There is a thread about this already and it was started back in July, updated on August 16th: http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...showtopic=28126

Hmmm...thats funny they signed him today yet you say in july... somebodys sources are screwy. wacko.gif

Edited by bellarina

In GR, with out a doubt. With the Wings, probably not this year on a regular basis. I would expect Holland to give a lot of these young guys as much time up in Detroit as possible, with out crossing the limit of games played to make their salary count towards the salary cap. Most people have come to the conclusion that this years team will not be a failure, but not be a top contender.

Well, this isn't the NBA...different people start the games on certain nights. If you mean he'll be a first line center...maybe. But, I'd bet money that Eric Manlow will be Grand Rapids' first line center, and Filpulla will be the 2nd line center.

Looks like he will be the 1st finnish player to ever play for the red wings.

Hard to think that Wings never had a finn in their lineup before, mainly because they

prefer russians, swedes or chezhs with their suspicious groin injuries...

Right off the bat, I can think of Tomas Sandstrom, whom I didn't care for. He played almost half a season in '96-'97.

Hard to think that Wings never had a finn in their lineup before, mainly because they

Right off the bat, I can think of Tomas Sandstrom, whom I didn't care for. He played almost half a season in '96-'97.

Birthplace does not a Finn make. To my knowledge Sandstrom is no more Finnish than Robyn Regehr is Brazilian.

peace

Birthplace does not a Finn make. To my knowledge Sandstrom is no more Finnish than Robyn Regehr is Brazilian.

peace

True, he was a essentially a Swede, but he was born in Finland. It counts.

peace

True, he was a essentially a Swede, but he was born in Finland. It counts.

He was born in Finland but he had only Swedish nationality. His family moved to Sweden when Sandström was a child, so I think It doesn't count.

who would you rather have a "Skilled Playmaker"(Filppula) or some "Character Forward' (FRANZEN)

I think Detroit feels as if Franzen has already developed, he is in his mid-twenties I believe, and there's no need to try and develop him in the minor leagues. He's strong and has grit, which is something Europeans typically pick up in the AHL, so there seems to be no need to send him down. While with Filppula, who I think can probably make it as Detroit's number two centre in a couple of years, is probably seen by Detroit management as someone who needs time to develop in Grand Rapids in order to achieve his full potential. I imagine the Wings feel they have a sleeper in Filppula, and want to make sure to give him time to become as good a player as he can.

I think Detroit feels as if Franzen has already developed, he is in his mid-twenties I believe, and there's no need to try and develop him in the minor leagues. He's strong and has grit, which is something Europeans typically pick up in the AHL, so there seems to be no need to send him down. While with Filppula, who I think can probably make it as Detroit's number two centre in a couple of years, is probably seen by Detroit management as someone who needs time to develop in Grand Rapids in order to achieve his full potential. I imagine the Wings feel they have a sleeper in Filppula, and want to make sure to give him time to become as good a player as he can.

Exactly same thoughts. thumbup.gif