• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank

Smyth and 1st for Datyuk

Rate this topic

Just heard on Team 1270 that a 'reliable' source has said that there is a deal in the works that would send Datsyuk for Ryan Smyth and a high draft pick.

I'd do this deal.

Guest youssp9

With all the rumors going around, I doubt that this one is even close to being true....

Hate to say it (being a Pavel fan) but I'd go for it.

I (another Pavel fan) wouldn't go for it just for the fact that Datsuyk is a few years younger and plays the game in a way that isn't as destructive to his body. Even when Datsyuk gets older, he'll be a great player because his strengths are his vision and puckhandling.

In a few years, Smyth will be well into his 30s, and his body will be too battered for him to be anything more than an excellent role player. Look at Shanahan's development since he became a Wing, that's what I see happening to Smyth (and in his prime, by the way, Shanny was way better than Smyth).

Pavel, however, will last. Not that it matters, with unrestricted free agency coming down toward 27, but still...

This deal would be too good to be true. No way it will happen! It makes NO sense, Edmonton can't sign Smyth to a long term deal, so they'll trade for Datsyuk? And give up a draft pick? No way! I'd build Holland a statue in front of JLA if he pulled this off......

Edited by Barnes52

This would be an awesome Deal for us. Henk could play center and we would get a scoring winger.

But I think also that this trade would not make any sense for Edmonton.

Ryan Smyth looks like the stereotypical hockey player, with his hoser looks and mullet. I can't see him in a Wings jersey. biggrin.gif His game is fine thought but I don't know... I'm ambivalent about him.

Edmonton loves small fast players like Datsyuk, and Dats would be PERFECT with Dvorak and the other guys they have.

If we have to trade Datsyuk, this is a deal I definitely would not mind, because Smyth is asking for 3m, which is about what he's worth. Looking at the Wings' cap number and Shanahan's contract, he'd probably take 2.5-2.75 so the team could keep Zetterberg as well. Especially since it would give him a MUCH better shot at a Cup.

All that said...I don't see the deal happening.

Imagine if you would though....

Smyth/Zetterberg/Shanahan

Holmstrom/Lang/Yzerman

Maltby/Draper/Manlow

MacLean/Franzen/Mowers

Fischer/Lidstrom

Schneider/Kronwall

Lilja/Chelios

That's a pretty strong lineup. Especially with a versatile, all-around guy like Rivers to plug any hole in the roster when you want to rest someone.

Edmonton loves small fast players like Datsyuk, and Dats would be PERFECT with Dvorak and the other guys they have.

If we have to trade Datsyuk, this is a deal I definitely would not mind, because Smyth is asking for 3m, which is about what he's worth. Looking at the Wings' cap number and Shanahan's contract, he'd probably take 2.5-2.75 so the team could keep Zetterberg as well. Especially since it would give him a MUCH better shot at a Cup.

Holmstrom/Lang/Yzerman

Maltby/Draper/Manlow

MacLean/Franzen/Mowers

Fischer/Lidstrom

Schneider/Kronwall

Lilja/Chelios

That's a pretty strong lineup. Especially with a versatile, all-around guy like Rivers to plug any hole in the roster when you want to rest someone.

I like it,but where's Williams?

Holmstrom/Lang/Yzerman

Maltby/Draper/Manlow

MacLean/Franzen/Mowers

Fischer/Lidstrom

Schneider/Kronwall

Lilja/Chelios

I like it,but where's Williams?

getting first-line ice time in Grand Rapids.

I'd do this deal. The one thing that concerns me about Fischer, Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg being the future, is that they are all European. You need that mix of European and North American Players. All of our North American players are getting up there in age.

I really like this deal the more I think about it. (Most likely just building myself up for a let down.) And it's not just because I want Anything to happen at this point. I mean Dats is only 2 years younger and Smyth has 7 more years experience in the NHL.

It's O.K. Kenny...go ahead...you can Still do it Buddy...show 'em...make that deal!

Holmstrom/Lang/Yzerman

Maltby/Draper/Manlow

MacLean/Franzen/Mowers

Fischer/Lidstrom

Schneider/Kronwall

Lilja/Chelios

Why do you have Maclean and Manlow? They're GR bound...I'm not even sure that Manlow is signed

Russian players may become an anomoly?

Looking at the problems with Malkin and Korolyuk (both opting to play in Russia,) Fedorov and Datsyuk (pains in the ass, despite their great talent), Ilya Kovalchuk is unsure whether he'll play in the us, et al, no wonder holland did not draft any Russians this year!

Edited by SUPERSTUD