• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#121 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

Things are starting to happen! This new general is taking charge and kicking some a$$! Food is on its way to convention center - a big old convoy.

#122 gowingsgo

gowingsgo

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:42 PM

The troops will get the job done. Its the guys making the decisions having press conferences and doing call ins on talk shows who aren't doing a very good job.
NHL Playoffs = Mule Season. Lets Go Wings

#123 loaf

loaf

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:40 PM

I know that the Pittsburgh area wants to help and they said that we can have out National Guard Troops in the air in 3 hrs if FEMA wants us.....I know last yr when Pittsburgh was flooded by the remnants of Frances and Ivan, we got help. Now its time to repay it to the NO area

#124 Christian

Christian

God bless the world.

• PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (CopenhagenWing @ September 1, 2005 - 02:10PM)
Several countries are offering to help. The U.S. government have as yet not accepted the said offers.

I heard that Australia has donated 7.5 Mil to the red cross relieve effort and Germany has tapped its oil reserves as per request of the US. Both were on google news (various sources) and/or CNN.

#125 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:10 PM

Usually I don't much care what celebrities have to say about a crisis, but Harry Connick Jr. is a native of New Orleans and he really knows the city and it's people very well. He toured the city, and had some important things for the rest of us to keep in mind.

Be kind to these people

The video in this story is amazing.

I had the chance to meet & work with him a few years ago, and he's at the top of my list of the nicest and most sincere people I've met in the music biz.

Here's hoping people will take his advice to do what they can to help, and also to remember that, as he said "these people are good people... if you drop a video crew into ANY major city you're gonna find some freaks. The majority of people in New Orleans are good people, and they're desperate, and they're dying."

Edited by Muse, 02 September 2005 - 03:21 PM.

There's no place like Hockeytown.

#126 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (MrKnowItAll @ September 2, 2005 - 12:19PM)
You might also find this one interesting:
http://service.spieg...,372455,00.html

Wow....

That guy and his whole administration are such dumb asses, I'm sorry but he is. You know what, people that voted for him are dumb asses too, I really don't give a sh*t anymore. We have a deficit thats the size of the world, our foreign relations are in the s***ter, we're gonna be in Iraq for at least 5 more years, oh yea and New Orleans looks like a 5th world country right now becuase of him. Maybe if he wasn't so worried about finishing his daddys job with Saddam in the first place and more worried about hunting down Osama who was and is a bigger threat than Sadam this country wouldn't be in as bad as shape as it is now. New Orleans would have had the necessary funds to be able to research a new idea on how to keep the damage to a minimum. Instead....well you know.

How many WMDS did they find in Iraq which was the so called reason for going in there? NONE

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#127 loaf

loaf

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (dallas27 @ September 2, 2005 - 06:04PM)

Wow....

That guy and his whole administration are such dumb asses, I'm sorry but he is. You know what, people that voted for him are dumb asses too, I really don't give a sh*t anymore. We have a deficit thats the size of the world, our foreign relations are in the s***ter, we're gonna be in Iraq for at least 5 more years, oh yea and New Orleans looks like a 5th world country right now becuase of him. Maybe if he wasn't so worried about finishing his daddys job with Saddam in the first place and more worried about hunting down Osama who was and is a bigger threat than Sadam this country wouldn't be in as bad as shape as it is now. New Orleans would have had the necessary funds to be able to research a new idea on how to keep the damage to a minimum. Instead....well you know.

How many WMDS did they find in Iraq which was the so called reason for going in there? NONE

wow couldn't have said it better myself

#128 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:57 PM

Way to put a human face on this, Muse.

On the news this evening, police officers from most of the cities in Oakland County are headed down south in police cars with supplies and to help keep the peace.
Why aren't people who are loaded send their private helicopters to airlift people out of there and drop off water while they're at it? I know, not my money, etc., but if I had it, you better believe it would be down south right now. Why hasn't Evian or Aquafina shipped truckloads of water down there, especially for rescue workers? Just a couple of suggestions. I wish I were in a position to volunteer. There were dozens of people in Michigan getting crash courses in rescue training to head down south this weekend. Very cool!
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#129 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:13 PM

Anybody see Kanye West at the MSNBC relief concert?

"They're sending the military in to kill our people!"

What a sad excuse for a human being.

#130 Sting 11

Sting 11

Burn 'em down, Ryan!!

• Gold Booster
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (CopenhagenWing @ September 2, 2005 - 09:13PM)
Anybody see Kanye West at the MSNBC relief concert?

"They're sending the military in to kill our people!"

What a sad excuse for a human being.

Sting 11's message to Kayne West:

user posted image

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

#131 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:20 PM

Greetings guys and gals. Through the power of a wireless Internet signal I am now posting from my temporary new home about 15 miles east of Baton Rouge in a small town called Gonzales. We're slowly starting to get settled in, worn out from everything today and we've been at each others throats a good bit to say the least.

I apologize for the longevity of this post but here goes with updates...

Most importantly, I got to the Baton Rouge area and am all right. Lines to get fuel all across the Gulf coast are pretty long, but not unbearable, 10-15 minute wait the few times I got gas today. Some stations are completely out of fuel.

Minus a brief stop in west Mississippi and the annoyance of being in the middle of a five-car tailgate, we got here without much trouble.

Most bridges along I-10 survived east of Slidell. A barge hit the I-10 bridge in Pasacgoula/eastern Mississippi so that's shut down. Mobile got hit pretty hard, but not totally devastated. Once you get to Gulfport, it isn't pretty, and it doesn't improve much until you get past Hammond. There are A LOT of downed trees along the stretch of I-12 starting in Slidell to Hammond.

Monday is going to be the big day where I'll be going back home to see if my house survived or will be history. It's going to be quite emotional to see the areas I live and hang out in ruined. Pray for the best and pray that I can be able to take some more stuff back.

I wouldn't be too surprised to be here in Gonzales until January or so.

I'm still really disappointed that help was so delayed, but better late than never that things seem to be coming along. I was at an outlet mall a while ago and there were a lot of army/military vehicles on stand-by, so that was impressive.

Finally, I'm shocked by the White House Speaker's comment about how New Orleans should be bulldozed, coming from an extremely educated person with such high responsibility. Incredibly arrogant and it just pisses me off, makes me feel that people don't care about us.

Thanks for all of your support once again and for dealing with me recently. smile.gif

#132 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:27 PM

Jack - this is GREAT NEWS to hear that you made it to the Baton Rouge area safely.

Get some sleep!!! smile.gif

#133 Sting 11

Sting 11

Burn 'em down, Ryan!!

• Gold Booster
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:42 PM

Wow....

user posted image

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

#134 Sting 11

Sting 11

Burn 'em down, Ryan!!

• Gold Booster
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (loaf @ September 2, 2005 - 01:08PM)

And that is one reason why I cant believe why people re-elected Bush.....he is such a horrible president

OK, I'm really about to lose my cool over this.

Why the flying f**k didn't Bill Clinton fix this problem if his people "knew about it". He was president for 8 f**king years. Stop this political bulls**t, people. There's enough blame to go around tenfold. To throw all the blame squarely at the feet of George W. Bush is ridiculous. Sid Blumenthal can go pleasure himself manually.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

#135 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:51 PM

Wow....

Clueless. Lets put this Dallas guy in a chopper and let him try and deliver relief and pick up people as those same people are shooting at him. Friggen Moron.

Edited by AOS, 02 September 2005 - 09:53 PM.

"And somewhere at the bottom he fell into darkness. That much he knew. He had fallen into darkness. And at the instant he knew, he ceased to know".
Martin Eden, Jack London

Google talk SN: Dragoro@gmail.com

#136 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

Hey, why don't we move the politial arguing into the Political forum, and keep this focused on the hurricane?

It's way to early to figure out whose "fault" (besides mother nature) this disaster is.

#137 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:00 PM

"They hated us. Four young black men told us the buses were going to come last night and pick up the elderly so they were going to kill us," she said, sobbing. "They were plotting to murder us and then they sent the buses away because we would all be killed if the buses came -- that's what the people in charge told us this morning."

http://www.alertnet....k/N02134169.htm

Yeah, its Bush's fault when people are threatened with being murdered to make room for other people on the buses.
"And somewhere at the bottom he fell into darkness. That much he knew. He had fallen into darkness. And at the instant he knew, he ceased to know".
Martin Eden, Jack London

Google talk SN: Dragoro@gmail.com

#138 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

I'm not sure what is going on here, but I posted that article. I was really just thinking about the lack of anyone taking this seriously when it was their damn jobs to take things like this very seriously. Bush debates aside, there are a ton of people to blame for this. There were smart people saying, "If this happens, and it will happen sooner or later, it will be the biggest disaster this country can possibly face - #1." Smart people predicted this entire situation to the exact detail, but they were ignored. From the N.O. city government, to the state government, to the Army Corps of Engineers, to congress and long list of presidents, nobody took it seriously. Politics is too short sighted and look where we are now? They could have spent 12 billion to prevent this, but now it will probably cost the country 100 billion and more (counting gas prices, inflation, trade, loss of a major port for months...).

I just saw an interview with someone from the Army Corps of Engineers. This guy was saying that at the time, due to budget issues, they made the prudent decision! Could anything be more clear that their decision was not even close to "prudent"? Jesus H Chrsit, if the worst disaster in U.S. history can't make someone say, "We screwed up," what will?

This is the second time in 4 years this country has been caught with its pants down after a few smart people were saying, "We need to be prepared..." I am sick to death of all the excuses, lack of responsibility, and the entire cover your ass attitude about this and 9/11 - republicans and democrats all.

#139 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Muse @ September 2, 2005 - 10:54PM)
Hey, why don't we move the politial arguing into the Political forum, and keep this focused on the hurricane?

It's way to early to figure out whose "fault" (besides mother nature) this disaster is.

Sorry! I just saw this. You are right.

Speaking of... Jack, good to read your post! I'm very glad to read you are settling in there a bit. Don't worry about some moron saying NO should be bulldozed. N.O. is by far the most unique city in the entire U.S. It will be back and you can bet it will have the best flood control the world has ever seen.

I think I heard the mayor saying that when you mention NO to anyone in the world, the first thing they do is smile because everyone knows what a great, fun and unique place it is. I have been there 5 times and I always loved it. I think my favorite thing was the Garden Quarter (or is it "district") with all those amazing houses and the trolly. Actually I take that back, my favorite thing was the FOOD! OH MY GOD! What other city in the US has its own cuisine like this? Nothing even comes close. What about the music - Jazz AND Cajun music? I promise you, when the city is back up, I will be there with my tourist $. My wife has never seen it, and I promised her she would. So there, they HAVE to rebuild it or my wife will think I am a liar! biggrin.gif

Just thought of a few other things. Beniets (?spelling) and chicory coffee at that famous place that has been around for like 300 years. Also, I had a riot at this small voodoo bar that was about the size of someone's living room.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, 02 September 2005 - 10:27 PM.

#140 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:32 PM

Federal response has been terrible - even embarassing. But I agree- this is not the time to start the blame game- they need to focus on getting the job done. My biggest concern is this give us an idea of what the response to another terrorist attack might be.....pretty frightening. sad.gif I just hate sitting here doing nothing. sad.gif
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users