• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

In the extreme unlikelyhood that any of you want to follow along with the process, you can follow the progress here:

Link removed. Will repost when feel more comfortable about it since only response was negative. Hope to win you guys over, even though I am an Avs fan, Im also a Hockey fan.

Feel free to leave comments smile.gif

Edit: Still tryin to figure out a way to give LGW members a discount.

Edited by AOS, 28 August 2005 - 08:27 PM.

"And somewhere at the bottom he fell into darkness. That much he knew. He had fallen into darkness. And at the instant he knew, he ceased to know".
Martin Eden, Jack London

Google talk SN: Dragoro@gmail.com

#2 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:28 PM

Very cool, Ben!
I must apologize in advance for not patronizing your establishment. I refuse to be an enabler to your sad, unfortunate addiction. When you're in recovery from the shame of not only rooting against your home team, which you should never do, but rooting for the Avs of all teams, then we can talk.

Best of luck in your venture and in hockey rehab!
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#3 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (vladdy16 @ August 28, 2005 - 07:28PM)
Very cool, Ben!
I must apologize in advance for not patronizing your establishment.  I refuse to be an enabler to your sad, unfortunate addiction.  When you're in recovery from the shame of not only rooting against your home team, which you should never do, but rooting for the Avs of all teams, then we can talk.

Best of luck in your venture and in hockey rehab!

I dont root against the wings. Just for the Avs. Heck, when Foppa retires, if the wings keep zetterberg, my favorite player will be a red wing. And Thank you. Its my first venture into my own business, so Im very excited.

Edited by AOS, 28 August 2005 - 06:34 PM.

"And somewhere at the bottom he fell into darkness. That much he knew. He had fallen into darkness. And at the instant he knew, he ceased to know".
Martin Eden, Jack London

#4 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:54 PM

Forgot to mention that Ive bought a 52 inch plasma screen TV for the place, and will be ordering center ice. All Wings games will be shown.
Martin Eden, Jack London

#5 Christian

Christian

God bless the world.

• PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (AOS @ August 28, 2005 - 07:54PM)
Forgot to mention that Ive bought a 52 inch plasma screen TV for the place, and will be ordering center ice. All Wings games will be shown.

Have you done a business plan for this venture? It seems strange to me to expect that an ice cream palor would attract people wanting to watch TV or hockey games. That is more of a restaurant/bar type environment. In fact, ice cream parlor to me is a place I go and get ice cream and in some instances sit down there while I eat it, but I wouldn't say that I'd be compelled to spend much time in there. Further, in a bar customers would keep ordering drinks/food while the game is on, but do you think people will keep ordering ice cream during the game? So essentially you'd have a whole bunch of people staying for close to 3 hours that bought an item or two.

Just some ideas that will hopefully help. Obviously I haven't read about your entire business venture but that is what came to my mind immediately.

Good luck!

#6 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

Sounds cool to me! Anyplace with ice cream and huge plasma TVs with Centre Ice on it has to be cool.

I don't understand why people would give you flak for it on this site, unless you're selling "I hate Steve Yzerman" sundaes or somethin. LOL

There's no place like Hockeytown.

#7 Top-o'-the-wing sniper

Top-o'-the-wing sniper

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

I'm bummed......RE post link.....my wife loves Ice cream, I love hockey....I may have found a great way to watch the games!

At loeast post where it's at.

#8 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Christian @ September 2, 2005 - 12:52PM)
Have you done a business plan for this venture? It seems strange to me to expect that an ice cream palor would attract people wanting to watch TV or hockey games. That is more of a restaurant/bar type environment. In fact, ice cream parlor to me is a place I go and get ice cream and in some instances sit down there while I eat it, but I wouldn't say that I'd be compelled to spend much time in there. Further, in a bar customers would keep ordering drinks/food while the game is on, but do you think people will keep ordering ice cream during the game? So essentially you'd have a whole bunch of people staying for close to 3 hours that bought an item or two.

Just some ideas that will hopefully help. Obviously I haven't read about your entire business venture but that is what came to my mind immediately.

Good luck!

He's obviously targeting female hockey fans. Ladies can eat lots of ice cream.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#9 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Christian @ September 2, 2005 - 12:52PM)

Good luck!

The TV isnt just for sports. Ill have cartoons and stuff for the kids during the day and evenings as well. The Tv itself isnt meant to be a draw for the business, but more of an added bonus for the customer. The sports is more of an added bonus. Ill be server 16 flavors of hard ice cream, plus 3 flavors of soft ice cream, cappacinos and lattes, and several flavors of gormet (sp), and burgers and coneys as well. Its meant to be kinda like Al's dinner in Happy Days if you know what I mean. This is my first business, but Im not doing it without a ton of experienced advice. My father is helping me put it together, idea wise. He owned a bar/resturant right across the street for 35 years, so its not like im doing this blind folded. Ive also been researchin location/design/ and product for over 6 years. Talking with fellow business owners in the area, many different vendors/resturant people from the local area, and other areas, they all feel that I will do real well with what Im doing.

As for the seating issue, even if I do get customers that decide to stick around for a full game (which I dont really expect nor count on), Ive got more then enough seating to take care of those and still have plenty of room for other customers.

Edited by AOS, 02 September 2005 - 08:56 PM.

Martin Eden, Jack London

#10 Vladinator

Vladinator

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:02 AM

What area is this going to be in?

I don't know if you're from Detroit, Colorado, or somewhere else...

If it's in the metro-Detroit area, I'd take my daughter out for an ice cream there at some point....if it's in the Denver area, I'd let my little brother (who proudly wears his Yzerman jersey all over the place out there) know about it...and maybe still take my daughter there if I ever get out there for a visit...

As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy
We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

#11 CelticWing34

CelticWing34

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:41 AM

I'd drop in.
B! E! L! L! I! S! S! I! M! O! What does that spell? Bellissimo! And what does it mean? Sooo beautiful!

user posted image

#12 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:19 AM

I beg to differ, AOS. My initial response was positive. It was just my way of giving an Avs fan a hard time. Kind of a warm-up for the season. biggrin.gif
If I remeber correctly, it's somewhere in Troy. If it's anywhere near the Troy Deli, I'm a given. I think quite a few of us in the immediate area will check it out (in cognito, of course!) even if you are an Avs fan. We can plead ignorance, or the fifth!

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#13 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:28 AM

Yeah, if it is in Troy, I am there like a square.

Please tell me where it is at?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#14 The_Cub

The_Cub

Raindrop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Rivalred @ September 3, 2005 - 12:28PM)
Please tell me where it is at?

Ditto

#15 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:00 PM

Its in clawson, on main street, just south of 14 mile. Its on the west side of road in a little mini mall, and Its called Grumpy's Burgers and shakes. Just found out day before yesterday that furniture wont arrive till the 28th, so looks like Ill be open hopefully the 1st week of october.
Martin Eden, Jack London

#16 The_Cub

The_Cub

Raindrop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (AOS @ September 7, 2005 - 08:00PM)
Its in clawson, on main street, just south of 14 mile. Its on the west side of road in a little mini mall, and Its called Grumpy's Burgers and shakes. Just found out day before yesterday that furniture wont arrive till the 28th, so looks like Ill be open hopefully the 1st week of october.

AOS, Bump this thread or send me a PM to remind me once you open and the lady and I will take a ride out sometime to check it out. Best of luck.

#17 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:07 PM

Will do, and Thank you.
Martin Eden, Jack London

#18 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

Heres the link to the blog.

http://dragoro.blogspot.com/

Got the screen installed, and direct tv comes tomorrow, going to have to work with them to get center ice. Its a commercial account, so it price might be out of my league. They are giving me the nfl thing for free, going to see if I can trade that for the nhl thing instead.
Martin Eden, Jack London

#19 AOS

AOS

Rookie

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:30 PM

I would ask and appreciate if people that visit the blog, could leave comments under some of the entries if they so seem fit to. Would be much appreciated.
Martin Eden, Jack London

#20 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:40 PM

Shelby Auto went out of Business or moved on Van Dyke near 23 mile about 9-10 months back and they had a front end off a 1950's Chevy installed into the main counter. If I knew they were closing/moving, I wonder if they would of sold it to you if they did not keep it.

Would of went great in your place. Looks good so far, I will have to stop by and check it out sometime when I am down that way in the next couple weeks.

It is good luck to have the priest come in and say a prayer, what religion?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users