• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE (RockyMountainWingGal @ September 9, 2005 - 08:34PM)
Rooting for Dementieva huh? wink.gif Have to admit I was pulling for Dementieva too - she played so well vs Davenport. Didn't get to see the matches today as they were on while I was at work..... mad.gif

Mary Pierce - boring. I like Kim Clijsters - pulling for her!!!!!

Yeh I sure was, she's been on of my favourite players for a while. Very disappointed indeed, I just cant figure out where Pierce's form has come from?

CMON LLEYTON!!!

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#22 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Aussie_Wing @ September 7, 2005 - 07:25AM)
Once again I’m disappointed at the lack of input into this discussion. Being a huge tennis I make a new thread for every Grand Slam. However it seems like the interest in tennis decreases all the time. This has been a pretty good US Open, with some great matches such as Blake/Nadal, Hewitt/Dent, Agassi/Malisse and the list goes on. Oh well, at least I’m enjoying it.  smile.gif

Hey Aussie... I think a lot of Americans are pretty wrapped up in the Hurricane Katrina disaster. While the US Open is a nice distraction, I'm not sure it's getting as much discussion online because people are pretty stressed out.

I couldn't watch the Agassi/Blake match live, so we taped it... but the matches before ran so long, and the match itself ran so long that when we sat down to watch it the next day (and we didn't know who won), we only got the first 20 minutes. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

RMWG - from what you've said it sounds like even if I taped longer, I would've missed the end anyway. That happened with an earlier match, too... it seems they only allot so much time on CBS, and when it runs out, the coverage switches to USA network. Stupid. I wonder if the SuperBowl ran over time, if they'd cut off the ending? I don't think so.

I have to tape the matches today... I've erased most of the DVR and I'm just setting it up to run all day.

I'm pulling for Agassi and Pierce to take home the championships. Gotta root for the older players who have been crushing people almost half their age.

Edited by Muse, 10 September 2005 - 09:45 AM.

There's no place like Hockeytown.

#23 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:02 AM

Since I live in NYC, I always go the US Open as much as I can. This year was no different.

Couldn't believe Andy Roddick lost in the 1st round! He was very well prepared coming into the Open. He had lost 15 lbs, worked on his fitness and movement and was ready to go. Unfortunately for him, he caught Muller on a good day. In any case, Andy Roddick's game is very one dimensional. A big serve and forehand can't take you far every time. He still needs a lot of work on his return of serve, backhand and volley.

I was cheering hard for James Blake and was sorry to see him lose in a mindblowing match to Andre Agassi. Blake had a 2004 unlike any other player on tour. He broke his neck while practicing in Rome, developed paralysis in his face and also lost his father over the summer. In April he was ranked 210 but he has come back better than ever playing great tennis. I hope he continues to do well.

Robbi Ginepri has been a very pleasant surprise this summer. He is playing excellent tennis. The biggest advantage he has over his opponents is his fitness. The guy is a tank and can go far in every match. I hope he plays a good semifinal and advances.

I expect the Hewitt-Federer match to be a snooze. Maybe Hewitt will put up some fight but I don't think anyone can rival Federer at this point. Federer has the complete package and is as close as anyone is going to get to Pete. Safin is the only guy with the game to beat Federer consistently on any surface but he's a mental case, not to mention extremely lazy.

On the women's side, the quarter finals were great. I've been pulling for Kim Clijsters throughout the tournament. She has had an amazing hardcourt season. She also came back from injuries and rounded her game into form. She has beaten some tough players to get to the finals. I'm pulling for her tonight.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#24 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:16 AM

FBF, you're seeing these matches from seats in the staduim?

/surpress jealous rage
wink.gif

I've wanted to go for so many years, I can't even tell ya.

Have an awesome time if you go today & tomorrow.

#25 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:22 PM

Come on Leyton Hewitt - at least take this guy Federer to 5 sets and wear him out! crazy.gif

Hewitt+Roddick=mental breakdowns vs Federer......

I'm guessing ( mad.gif ) Federer will pull this one out - Agassi has a "shot" if he's worn out - a long shot, but still a chance....

New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#26 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

YES!!

Hey peeps, look at my previous post on this thread

OH YEAH BABY!
Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"

#27 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:52 PM

Federer won, no surprises. Looks like Andre had him until he lost his serve in the 3rd set and then he just ran out of gas. Well played by both the guys.

Very happy Kim Clijsters won her first major smile.gif

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#28 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:29 PM

Federer..... mad.gif ....getting tired of that guy...

Great match by Andre - had him on the ropes there in the third set - but Roger seems to come up with the goods when he needs it most. I guess I'm glad that he didn't get completely smoked by him, but still, would have been so cool to have the 35-year old US guy win, sigh.

No tennis until January, essentially...... sad.gif
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#29 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:00 AM

Third set, Agassi serving at 30-0, up 4-2. If only he could have held serve and the result might have been different. After he lost the tiebreak, I said to myself, ‘Federer’s going to clean him up now’ unfortunately I was right.

I agree RockyMountainWingGal, Federer is a brilliant player, an absoulute freak, but I wish someone could beat him. Calling Marat...

Well I’m ecstatic to tell all the tennis fans on this forum that I’m going to the 2006 Australian Open!!! Can hardly wait!

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#30 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:21 AM

Yeah...I saw during the UM Game that Agassi had advanced to the finals....unhappy when I saw it was vs The Invincible Man.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#31 Muse

Muse

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:33 PM

I just watched the men's final yesterday (on tape). Wow. I was so impressed with how well Agassi played. I really thought he could have won, but I had to wonder if his back started giving him problems. He suddenly wasn't serving as well, he wasn't getting around the court great in the 3rd set tiebreak and 4th set... and at first I assumed he was just running out of legs. But then I noticed he was making a lot more verbal noise than usual, he really almost looked like he was favoring his left leg. Then, when they closed up on his face, his face looked very, very different than usual. His eyes were not wide open, they were kinda bloodshot, and he looked as if he was very uncomfortable. Both me and Mr. Muse came to this conclusion on our own before we discussed it.

I was really surprised Andre gave Federer such a great match. I really thought Roger would take it in three sets, though I wanted Andre to win. I really hope we'll see more terrific tennis out of Andre next season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users