• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Big Snake?

Rate this topic

HI Barnesy,

Yes, in the one game I saw, Kindl and Herring were impressive. Herring scored a goal and drew cheers from the crowd with his hitting, Kindl looked comfortable, made nice passes out of his zone and lookd to be responsible in his own end. Quincey looked awful, very disappointed in him, he was out of position, looked unsure and made some ill advised passes in his own zone. But it was only one game, and I heard Quincey looked much better in the last few games. I have to say it was great time though, the crowds are not big, and all the coaches go and sit in the crowd and mingle with the fans while watching their prospects. I got to talk with Jacques Lemaire and Mario Tremblay, Canadiens legends, and Holland was walking around, Dave Lewis and I chatted briefly with Jim Nill. Next year I'm going to attend the whole camp. Maybe we can have a LGW get together next year.

Edited by Barnes52

Hatch,

I was just there on Wednesday, but he had 2 great scoring chances and played very aggresively. He was out there hitting and talking smack to every Wild player. Whenever a Wild player came near a prospect, Big Snake was there in his face. There was a buzz whnever he was out on the ice. I would be surprised if he didn't stick around in GR at least. He'll be an exciting player. His skating is good, he has some good puckhndling skills, but his best assets are his fearlessness, and willingness to drive to the net.

Excellent B52, just what i wanted to hear, i am really excited about this Kid thumbup.gif

Here is a good read from redwings central about Big Snake:

http://www.allsports.com/nhl/redwings/stor...10_Summary.html

HI Barnesy,

Yes, in the one game I saw, Kindl and Herring were impressive. Herring scored a goal and drew cheers from the crowd with his hitting, Kindl looked comfortable, made nice passes out of his zone and lookd to be responsible in his own end. Quincey looked awful, very disappointed in him, he was out of position, looked unsure and made some ill advised passes in his own zone. But it was only one game, and I heard Quincey looked much better in the last few games. I have to say it was great time though, the crowds are not big, and all the coaches go and sit in the crowd and mingle with the fans while watching their prospects. I got to talk with Jacques Lemaire and Mario Tremblay, Canadiens legends, and Holland was walking around, Dave Lewis and I chatted briefly with Jim Nill. Next year I'm going to attend the whole camp. Maybe we can have a LGW get together next year.

Did you talk to Nill or Lewis about toughning this team up? or did they say anything about Big Snake.

I didn't talk to Lewis, just said hi, but I mentioned to Nill how impressive the prospects looked, and I mentioned Big Snake, he smiled and said something along the lines of "He likes to stir things up, I think we need that". Another guy to watch is Reid Jorganssen, he hits and skates hard, he also likes to stir things up. He's small, but he's got heart....I really liked Detroit's prospects....Howard was a wall!! He's going to be star, always saw the puck, communicated with his defense well, and is very acrobatic.

HI Barnesy,

Thanks. Sounds great to be able to chat with Lemaire and others!

It really was! Really cool, plus the prospects walk around when they're not playing and sit in and watch the other games going on and cheer on their former teammates in junior. Very neat to see coaches chat about their players and listen to their comments about other players. Just a great atmosphere for hockey junkies, and it only costs 5 bucks a day! Highly recommended

It really was! Really cool, plus the prospects walk around when they're not playing and sit in and watch the other games going on and cheer on their former teammates in junior. Very neat to see coaches chat about their players and listen to their comments about other players. Just a great atmosphere for hockey junkies, and it only costs 5 bucks a day! Highly recommended

Crap, I knew I shoulda went! Sounds awsome Barnes. I was kinda worried about Big Snake in the first 2 games, not scoring but getting a s***load of penalties. But then he plays Tampa again, doesn't even get a penalty, and scores. Plus he says

I am one of the tougher guys on the team, so I am going to stick up for my teammates,” said Big Snake. “It was one of the cleaner games out there and I played hockey. I was ready for challenges if there were any.”

Sweet. Also says

“I think I am giving myself every opportunity to earn a contract,” Big Snake said. “My goal is to play for Grand Rapids this year and develop down there and maybe one day play for the Detroit Red Wings.”

Man, this guy certainly doesn't lead on like he has an attitude problem. Sounds like he knows what he's gotta do, and I hope he does it. Jorgensen sounds like a fantasic way to go too.

“Just being able to strap on the uniform is an honor,” he said. “When I was six (years old) I wrote an essay on what I wanted to do with my life and I said I wanted to play junior hockey in Kamloops. I also said I wanted to play for the Detroit Red Wings.”

And

“Size isn’t going to be something that is ever going to stop me, and I don’t make an excuse for it,” said Jorgensen. “I just have to work that much harder.”

I like it. Nill is great. Plus Jorgy is only 19.

With Big Snake's performance today, I think he deserves a shot at a contract. I also think Jorgensen deserve one. I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit signs the Jarrett cousins. Both were the top two in pts for the entire team, ahead of Filppula and the other prospects and tryouts. The only other tryout that I would even consider is maybe Herring. Ullrich did have a goal this last game and was pretty even overall in comparison to Herring though so I don't know about him. Keller I don't believe has a shot at a contract. Here is how the tryouts did compared to top the top three Red Wings prospects, stats according to RWC.

PLAYER NAME GP G A PTS +/- PIM SOG

Jarrett, Patrick 4 1 5 6 +6 4 11

Jarrett, Blair 3 2 3 5 +5 9 10

Jorgensen, Reid 4 3 0 3 +1 15 13

Big Snake, Robin 4 2 1 3 +5 19 7

Herring, David 3 1 0 1 +1 8 5

Ullrich, Mike 3 1 0 1 +1 6 2

Keller, Ryan 3 0 1 1 even 4 5

Filppula, Valtteri 4 2 2 4 +2 0 10

McGrath, Evan 4 2 1 3 +4 4 3

Himelfarb, Eric 4 1 2 3 +4 2 9

With Big Snake's performance today, I think he deserves a shot at a contract. I also think Jorgensen deserve one. I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit signs the Jarrett cousins. Both were the top two in pts for the entire team, ahead of Filppula and the other prospects and tryouts. The only other tryout that I would even consider is maybe Herring. Ullrich did have a goal this last game and was pretty even overall in comparison to Herring though so I don't know about him. Keller I don't believe has a shot at a contract.

They won't sign 4 free agent prospects. The only one they'll sign is Big Snake most likely, and he'll be a 4th liner in Grand Rapids.

They won't sign 4 free agent prospects. The only one they'll sign is Big Snake most likely, and he'll be a 4th liner in Grand Rapids.

I think they'll sign a couple. Nate Robinson left, and could prolly use 2-3 more players. Big Snake, Jorgensen, and maybe one or both of the Jarret's would be great. They need Big Snake, so I'm pretty sure he has the best shot. He had a Gordie Howe hat trick! And he fought Musselman. Sounds like a bad Japanese monster movie "Big Snake vs. Musselman" None the less, he had 1G 1A +3 and 7PIM. Not a bad game at all.

I think they'll sign a couple. Nate Robinson left, and could prolly use 2-3 more players. Big Snake, Jorgensen, and maybe one or both of the Jarret's would be great. They need Big Snake, so I'm pretty sure he has the best shot. He had a Gordie Howe hat trick! And he fought Musselman. Sounds like a bad Japanese monster movie "Big Snake vs. Musselman" None the less, he had 1G 1A +3 and 7PIM. Not a bad game at all.

I agree, they'll most likely sign Big Snake. But Grand Rapids' roster is already over flowing. So if they sign more than one, the kids would be stuck in Toledo for a year.

I agree, they'll most likely sign Big Snake. But Grand Rapids' roster is already over flowing. So if they sign more than one, the kids would be stuck in Toledo for a year.

Hmmm... I was unaware of GR's roster being filled. WingMan, you always seem to have good to great knowledge of hockey in general, thanks for the valuable contributions!

Hmmm... I was unaware of GR's roster being filled. WingMan, you always seem to have good to great knowledge of hockey in general, thanks for the valuable contributions!

No problem Todd! I live in GR, so I follow the Griffins pretty closely. This is how I see their roster right now, if they sign big snake:

Hudler Himelfarb MacLean

Hackert Filppula Manlow

Kopecky Ellis Bootland

Barnes Oulahen Big Snake

Delmore Meech

Helmer Quincey

Richards Amadio

Lebda

MacDonald

Howard

I think Greg Ireland likes Ryan Barnes, and will bring him back like he did last year. Hackert had a big year this year and I think will be signed to provide more offense. Plus, theres Rivers and McDonell who could potentially be in Grand Rapids, so they're looking pretty full right now. Thats why I think Jorgensen and the Jarrets, if signed, would most likely be in Toledo.

Hudler Himelfarb MacLean

Hackert Filppula Manlow

Kopecky Ellis Bootland

Barnes Oulahen Big Snake

Delmore Meech

Helmer Quincey

Richards Amadio

Lebda

MacDonald

Howard

I think Greg Ireland likes Ryan Barnes, and will bring him back like he did last year. Hackert had a big year this year and I think will be signed to provide more offense. Plus, theres Rivers and McDonell who could potentially be in Grand Rapids, so they're looking pretty full right now. Thats why I think Jorgensen and the Jarrets, if signed, would most likely be in Toledo.

Wow, they are pretty full. That 4th line looks to pretty damn mean, and I've heard Oulahen is an extremly good for the PK. Even if Jorgy plays for Toledo, it'll still be good to get him in the fold. But Big Snake is priority #1.

No problem Todd! I live in GR, so I follow the Griffins pretty closely. This is how I see their roster right now, if they sign big snake:

Hudler Himelfarb MacLean

Hackert Filppula Manlow

Kopecky Ellis Bootland

Barnes Oulahen Big Snake

Delmore Meech

Helmer Quincey

Richards Amadio

Lebda

MacDonald

Howard

I hope you are right about Barnes. He did seem to play better under Ireland.

I think if a couple went to Toledo, that it won't hurt their development. It would get them used to the pros also. Besides, more than likely, it would only be for this year anyway. Next year a good chunk of the Wings and the Griffins will be UFA or will retire. I think they need to sign both Jarretts, Big Snake, and Jorgensen. Jorgensen did really well with Filppula, and the Jarretts and Big Snake were a great line together in the Columbus game. All four of these guys seem to have really good potential to make the NHL.

Edited by juice71285

If they sign Jorgensen, it doesn't mean he has to play in GR, he can go back to junior.  He's only 19 yrs old, hopefully he'll replace that piece of crap Kopecky

Well who wants to pay someone to play juniors? That'd be kind of weird. They might as well just let him go back to juniors, and keep tabs on him, then invite him back to camp next year and sign him if he plays well.

Edited by WingMan56