• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

Although a young enforcer is really kinda something this team needs, I'm not a big fan of Big Snake; as I said before, I've seen him play. Seems like a bit of a punk to me; face washing and shoving opposing players after the whistle. He was in the penalty box more than once when I saw him, and it wasn't just for fighting. Big Snake is a player noted for off-ice problems, and unless he shows he can compete with at least the rest of the NHL's prospects, I really don't want him on this team.

While I haven't actually seen him play, he's well worth the risk IMO. Hopefully his off-ice problems can be cured with age and veteran leadership. A punk is just what we need to develope, Maltby won't be around forever. But keep in mind I would like Avery back, which will explain this and probably make people angry.

#42 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ September 9, 2005 - 04:30PM)
But keep in mind I would like Avery back, which will explain this and probably make people angry.

YES! Finally someone agrees with me, we should've never let Avery go!

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#43 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (ToddDaGod @ September 9, 2005 - 04:30PM)
Although a young enforcer is really kinda something this team needs, I'm not a big fan of Big Snake; as I said before, I've seen him play. Seems like a bit of a punk to me; face washing and shoving opposing players after the whistle. He was in the penalty box more than once when I saw him, and it wasn't just for fighting. Big Snake is a player noted for off-ice problems, and unless he shows he can compete with at least the rest of the NHL's prospects, I really don't want him on this team.

While I haven't actually seen him play, he's well worth the risk IMO. Hopefully his off-ice problems can be cured with age and veteran leadership. A punk is just what we need to develope, Maltby won't be around forever. But keep in mind I would like Avery back, which will explain this and probably make people angry.

Well, I'm not too keen on this Big Snake, but if he is at least able to keep up with the big boys, he deserves a shot. Otherwise, I'm thinking the Wings look elsewhere; although we do need an enforcer, he's got to have at least some skill to play for Detroit. Yes, I feel that off-ice problems can be corrected at such a young age, but I'm still a little cautious about his attitude.

Well, for what it's worth, I liked Avery and I wasn't too happy when he was traded away. At times he was a bit of a punk, but he had some real energy that the Wings could've have used in past post-seasons. I do, however, enjoy having Schneider on the team, so the trade was not too much of a blow I felt. Even still, I felt somebody else could've accompanied Kuznetsov to LA.

#44 juice71285

juice71285

2011-12 Weekend Picks Champion

• PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:Lost in the vast emptiness of space and time, and what is left of my demented mind.

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

I haven't been really impressed with Big Snake so far. The one fight against Emmerson was interesting, but I would like to see him on the scoresheet for something other then penalties. Jorgensen has really impressed with a pair of goals in the first two games and a fight. Anybody ever see him play or know much about him. I think Detroit should also take a good look at Patrick Jarrett. It seems he has done alright so far also. His cousin Blair might not be to bad either, 6'3", he has a goal in the goal in his only game so far. Herring has contributed with a goal as well. Keller assisted in the second game. So far Big Snake and Ullrich, oly played one game, are the only ones of the tryouts who haven't seen a point so far. It really seems that Detroit has brought in some good prospect tryouts this year. We might see more then one or two get signed this season.

#45 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:16 PM

I saw the game against Minnesota, he killed Emmerson. Emmerson asked him to go, Big Snake accepted and away they went. The crowd went nuts and everytime he was on the ice there was a buzz in the air

#46 WingMan56

WingMan56

Kronwall owns you

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:48 AM

Big Snake scored tonight..no fight though!

#47 juice71285

juice71285

2011-12 Weekend Picks Champion

• PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:Lost in the vast emptiness of space and time, and what is left of my demented mind.

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:50 AM

Big Snake scored his first goal of the tournament against Tampa Bay. Both Jarrett cousins assisted on the play. Jorgensen had the other goal for Detroit in a 3-2 loss to TB. This definitely will help Big Snake get some consideration since has now shown he can put numbers on the scoresheet. I still think Jorgensen needs to be signed, especially now, a goal in all three games. Patrick Jarrett has 3 assists so far, which would make me consider signing him, along with his cousin Blair ( 1G, 1A in 2 games). The only other player may be Herring to consider. These five guys I think deserve at a shot in the main training camp. Ullrich and Keller, unless they have a great game against Columbus, should be dropped prior to the main training camp.

#48 Hatcher#2

Hatcher#2

Know Your Role

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ September 9, 2005 - 08:16PM)
I saw the game against Minnesota, he killed Emmerson. Emmerson asked him to go, Big Snake accepted and away they went. The crowd went nuts and everytime he was on the ice there was a buzz in the air

Thanks B52, do you have any news on his second fight and can you give me your opinion on Big Snake as a player i.e Skating, Hitting and does he play with an edge.
"Wanna go pretty boy" Carl Racki

#49 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:23 AM

Hatch,

I was just there on Wednesday, but he had 2 great scoring chances and played very aggresively. He was out there hitting and talking smack to every Wild player. Whenever a Wild player came near a prospect, Big Snake was there in his face. There was a buzz whnever he was out on the ice. I would be surprised if he didn't stick around in GR at least. He'll be an exciting player. His skating is good, he has some good puckhndling skills, but his best assets are his fearlessness, and willingness to drive to the net.

#50 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ September 10, 2005 - 09:23AM)
Hatch,

I was just there on Wednesday, but he had 2 great scoring chances and played very aggresively. He was out there hitting and talking smack to every Wild player. Whenever a Wild player came near a prospect, Big Snake was there in his face. There was a buzz whnever he was out on the ice. I would be surprised if he didn't stick around in GR at least. He'll be an exciting player. His skating is good, he has some good puckhndling skills, but his best assets are his fearlessness, and willingness to drive to the net.

Barnesy! Any thoughts on Herring, Quincey or Kindl?
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#51 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

HI Barnesy,

Yes, in the one game I saw, Kindl and Herring were impressive. Herring scored a goal and drew cheers from the crowd with his hitting, Kindl looked comfortable, made nice passes out of his zone and lookd to be responsible in his own end. Quincey looked awful, very disappointed in him, he was out of position, looked unsure and made some ill advised passes in his own zone. But it was only one game, and I heard Quincey looked much better in the last few games. I have to say it was great time though, the crowds are not big, and all the coaches go and sit in the crowd and mingle with the fans while watching their prospects. I got to talk with Jacques Lemaire and Mario Tremblay, Canadiens legends, and Holland was walking around, Dave Lewis and I chatted briefly with Jim Nill. Next year I'm going to attend the whole camp. Maybe we can have a LGW get together next year.

Edited by Barnes52, 10 September 2005 - 09:44 AM.

#52 Hatcher#2

Hatcher#2

Know Your Role

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ September 10, 2005 - 09:23AM)
Hatch,

Excellent B52, just what i wanted to hear, i am really excited about this Kid thumbup.gif

Here is a good read from redwings central about Big Snake:

http://www.allsports...10_Summary.html

#53 Hatcher#2

Hatcher#2

Know Your Role

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ September 10, 2005 - 10:43AM)
HI Barnesy,

Yes, in the one game I saw, Kindl and Herring were impressive. Herring scored a goal and drew cheers from the crowd with his hitting, Kindl looked comfortable, made nice passes out of his zone and lookd to be responsible in his own end. Quincey looked awful, very disappointed in him, he was out of position, looked unsure and made some ill advised passes in his own zone. But it was only one game, and I heard Quincey looked much better in the last few games. I have to say it was great time though, the crowds are not big, and all the coaches go and sit in the crowd and mingle with the fans while watching their prospects. I got to talk with Jacques Lemaire and Mario Tremblay, Canadiens legends, and Holland was walking around, Dave Lewis and I chatted briefly with Jim Nill. Next year I'm going to attend the whole camp. Maybe we can have a LGW get together next year.

Did you talk to Nill or Lewis about toughning this team up? or did they say anything about Big Snake.

#54 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

I didn't talk to Lewis, just said hi, but I mentioned to Nill how impressive the prospects looked, and I mentioned Big Snake, he smiled and said something along the lines of "He likes to stir things up, I think we need that". Another guy to watch is Reid Jorganssen, he hits and skates hard, he also likes to stir things up. He's small, but he's got heart....I really liked Detroit's prospects....Howard was a wall!! He's going to be star, always saw the puck, communicated with his defense well, and is very acrobatic.

#55 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,933 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ September 10, 2005 - 10:43AM)
HI Barnesy,

Thanks. Sounds great to be able to chat with Lemaire and others!
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#56 Bruce Campbell

Bruce Campbell

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:01 AM

I'm an Australian and imported a Steve Yzerman #19 jersey a number of years ago. If Big Snake makes the Red Wings roster i'm ordering another jersey! tongue.gif

#57 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:02 AM

It really was! Really cool, plus the prospects walk around when they're not playing and sit in and watch the other games going on and cheer on their former teammates in junior. Very neat to see coaches chat about their players and listen to their comments about other players. Just a great atmosphere for hockey junkies, and it only costs 5 bucks a day! Highly recommended

#58 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:03 AM

It really was! Really cool, plus the prospects walk around when they're not playing and sit in and watch the other games going on and cheer on their former teammates in junior. Very neat to see coaches chat about their players and listen to their comments about other players. Just a great atmosphere for hockey junkies, and it only costs 5 bucks a day! Highly recommended

#59 ToddDaGod

ToddDaGod

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:22 AM

Crap, I knew I shoulda went! Sounds awsome Barnes. I was kinda worried about Big Snake in the first 2 games, not scoring but getting a s***load of penalties. But then he plays Tampa again, doesn't even get a penalty, and scores. Plus he says
I am one of the tougher guys on the team, so I am going to stick up for my teammates,” said Big Snake. “It was one of the cleaner games out there and I played hockey. I was ready for challenges if there were any.”

Sweet. Also says

“I think I am giving myself every opportunity to earn a contract,” Big Snake said. “My goal is to play for Grand Rapids this year and develop down there and maybe one day play for the Detroit Red Wings.”

Man, this guy certainly doesn't lead on like he has an attitude problem. Sounds like he knows what he's gotta do, and I hope he does it. Jorgensen sounds like a fantasic way to go too.

“Just being able to strap on the uniform is an honor,” he said. “When I was six (years old) I wrote an essay on what I wanted to do with my life and I said I wanted to play junior hockey in Kamloops. I also said I wanted to play for the Detroit Red Wings.”

And

“Size isn’t going to be something that is ever going to stop me, and I don’t make an excuse for it,” said Jorgensen. “I just have to work that much harder.”

I like it. Nill is great. Plus Jorgy is only 19.

#60 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:07 PM

http://www.bluejacke...rts/2549.0.html

Big Snake with 2 more goals in a 7-1 rout of the BJ rookies.

peace

EDIT - Temper the enthusiasm RWC states he only had 1. Oh well, better than nothing.

Edited by norrisnick, 10 September 2005 - 10:15 PM.

Posted Image