• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jaolla

Rumor: Steve Thomas signs with Wings

Rate this topic

Then why would he come to the Wings?

your quite the optimistic fan arnt you?? as long as we get datsyuk, i believe we have not to bad of a chance at the cup this year. i believe with the new rules our depth of skill will truely show for once with out the bear hugging dats and zetts.

some one from the Griff's where we have some very solid prospects in the making, where their salaries dont count against our cap.

The salaries do count against the cap if the player is playing for the NHL club. They don't count if it is a two-way contract and they're playing for the farm team.

as long as we get datsyuk, i believe we have not to bad of a chance at the cup this year. i believe with the new rules our depth of skill will truely show for once with out the bear hugging dats and zetts

I agree, if Datsyuk comes over (and I am cautiously optomistic) than what other team could say they have the Russain Leagues MVP, Swedish Elite's leading scorer and the AHL's Best Defensivemen ON TOP of the defending Selke Trophy winner and a three-time Norris winner?

Edited by Sepster

I agree, if Datsyuk comes over (and I am cautiously optomistic) than what other team could say they have the Russain Leagues MVP, Swedish Elite's leading scorer and the AHL's Best Defensivemen ON TOP of the defending Selke Trophy winner and a three-time Norris winner?

Nobody, but individual awards don't win Cups... just ask the last two teams we've iced.

I have nothing against Thomas, but I would rather see someone from Grand Rapids get a chance.

If this was 10 years ago then yeah, lets get Thomas signed up. However, this will probably be the last or second last season where we have this veteran team of Yzerman, Shanahan, Chelios, etc. so I would rather see us bring in some of our young guys now and let them get as much experience as possible before we have to throw them in full-time in another year or two.

Also, I doubt that Thomas would have signed yet. If Holland does plan on signing him, then it would be AFTER we find out what happens with Datsyuk, as that will determine how much cap space we have to work with.

I like Thomas and all, but I just don't see the point to sign him again. I'm not so sure about this one.

I guess it would be a cost issue.....I guess?

And i agree - I don't have the answer, but exactly how old can this squad afford to be.....I'd rather roll the dice on a kid from GR. Lord forbid we let a kid try and play his way into the bigs.

your quite the optimistic fan arnt you?? as long as we get datsyuk, i believe we have not to bad of a chance at the cup this year. i believe with the new rules our depth of skill will truely show for once with out the bear hugging dats and zetts.

Yeh sorry for the negativity, but I doubt we will be anywhere near good enough to challenge for the Cup this season. I mean we’ve lost Datsyuk & Hull who combined for 55 goals, and also gone are handy offensive players McCarty and Whitney. From our defense we’ve lost Dandenault, Hatcher and Woolley. Our goaltending is also questionable.

During the 2003/04 season the main problem we had was our speed, due mainly to our age. As this problem has clearly not been addressed, I honestly see this as a long, tough season.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Yeh sorry for the negativity, but I doubt we will be anywhere near good enough to challenge for the Cup this season. I mean we’ve lost Datsyuk & Hull who combined for 55 goals, and also gone are handy offensive players McCarty and Whitney. From our defense we’ve lost Dandenault, Hatcher and Woolley. Our goaltending is also questionable.

During the 2003/04 season the main problem we had was our speed, due mainly to our age. As this problem has clearly not been addressed, I honestly see this as a long, tough season.

its alrite, i havent been to optimistic about whats been going on either to be honest. i dont see us being able to challenge for the cup AT ALL to be honest if we dont sign datsyuk. i think its at the point of the chance we have left for this season, rests in datsyuks decision this sunday.

Datsyuk will probably re-sign, defensive liability that he is. Hull is replaced by Lang (who actually had a +/- of 2 on the Washington Capitals, for chrissakes); Lang is bigger, stronger, and better defensively--he obviously doesn't have as good of a shot and isn't a floating one-timer machine, but we already have enough of those.

Mac never did anything offensively. Cool Ray's slack can easily be picked up by Williams if he has a decent season (assuming he plays top line minutes, anyways), or Homer. Even Maltby and Draper could shore that one up.

As long as Datsyuk signs, we will have four lines that are as good as any in the league. We won't be able to just roll them like we used to, but that might get key guys like Williams even more time to refine his game. The issue in my mind isn't the guys we will ice on opening night, but the lack of depth. We haven't been this shallow in a decade--so it'll be up to the kids to carry the old folks from time to time. Not a problem when you consider that stretch in December last year where half the Wings starting roster was out, but Datsyuk and the rest of the kids hopped the team up on their back and allowed them to dominate.

Datsyuk will probably re-sign, defensive liability that he is. Hull is replaced by Lang (who actually had a +/- of 2 on the Washington Capitals, for chrissakes); Lang is bigger, stronger, and better defensively--he obviously doesn't have as good of a shot and isn't a floating one-timer machine, but we already have enough of those.

Mac never did anything offensively. Cool Ray's slack can easily be picked up by Williams if he has a decent season (assuming he plays top line minutes, anyways), or Homer. Even Maltby and Draper could shore that one up.

As long as Datsyuk signs, we will have four lines that are as good as any in the league. We won't be able to just roll them like we used to, but that might get key guys like Williams even more time to refine his game. The issue in my mind isn't the guys we will ice on opening night, but the lack of depth. We haven't been this shallow in a decade--so it'll be up to the kids to carry the old folks from time to time. Not a problem when you consider that stretch in December last year where half the Wings starting roster was out, but Datsyuk and the rest of the kids hopped the team up on their back and allowed them to dominate.

Yeh that's all very well, but as I said earlier: During the 2003/04 season the main problem we had was our speed, due mainly to our age. As this problem has clearly not been addressed, I honestly see this as a long, tough season.

Two words are bound to summarise our season: TOO OLD!

Edited by Aussie_Wing