20653 replies to this topic

#18921 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

link

Very short article, but it mentions Loo's Dom. He, Jagr, and other Czech players were at the funeral for the 3 that were killed. :(
I'm still struggling with this.

#18922 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,456 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

link

Very short article, but it mentions Loo's Dom. He, Jagr, and other Czech players were at the funeral for the 3 that were killed. :(
I'm still struggling with this.

Longer article on CZ hockey players' mass memorial, Prague

"The federation announced that the players' national team jersey numbers — 4 (Rachunek), 15 (Marek) and 63 (Vasicek) — will be retired." :thumbup:

I hate my office, but I can't wait to go there tomorrow, so I can think about something else besides death and destruction. Thank God tomorrow is September 12th and we can move on. :(

Edited by puckloo39, 11 September 2011 - 11:32 AM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#18923 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

Amen, honey. Amen. :(

#18924 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

I know this isn't much, but somehow it seems a little right.

It got me through losing my mom...
Posted Image

#18925 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

I didn't put this in the training camp thread since I'm not going to be there, but I'll let you gals in on my plan. When I go to the game in Minnesota, I was planning to use the beads from my playoff bracelets to make one with Boogaard's name on it. Now in light of this, I'm also going to make one for Rusty, Brad, and Stefan.

I have also decided that for my playoff bracelets this year I'm going to make one (probably black) with RS BM and SL on it since I put the initials of the goalscorers on the bracelets.

#18926 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,456 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

I like your plan, Karen... they sound great, and inspirational. Post pics of them here, OK?

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#18927 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Nice idea.
Posted Image

#18928 Danny=Badass

Danny=Badass

Jr. Prospect

• 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

I was hoping to bring some great pictures from Hockeyfest to help cheer everyone up a little, but my camera betrayed me. It had reasonably fresh batteries, but it gave me a "NEEDS NEW BATTERIES!!!!" error message and wouldn't let me take any shots. I'm starting to think the camera must have been made in Chicago or Denver-- it's done this to me twice, and both times were at the Joe!

I can report that I met Todd Bertuzzi, Ian White, Johan Franzen, Ty Conklin, Danny Cleary ( Posted Image ), Jakub Kindl, Jan Mursak, and Nik Kronwall. Of the alumni group, I met Jason Woolley and Manny Legace. I was shaking like a leaf when I met Manny, because I've had a huge crush on him for, oh, 10 years or so! And I'd never had the chance to meet him before. I had him sign the bobblehead of himself that I got as a premium for applying for a Red Wings credit card I didn't even want, 10 years ago. (I turned down the card but kept the bobble-Manny.) And I can report that he was highly amused by encountering his bobble-self, and that I nearly melted when I shook his hand and he was looking right straight at me with those beautifully intense blue eyes, and maybe he held on to my hand a little longer than politeness demanded. Oh my! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image (My husband was highly amused by this entire fangirly episode.)

Really, all the guys were great. They all made eye contact, rather than just signing our stuff and passing us along. I thought I'd be totally freaked out trying to find something to say to each of the guys, because I am not good at talking to people AT ALL, but they were so cheerful about everything that it made it easy for me to thank them for the autographs and wish them good luck with the rest of the season. And Mule personally assured me that his injuries are all healed up and he's ready for the season!

I do wish I could have met some of the other guys who were there, but the lines for guys like Pavel, Hank, Lidstrom, and Homer were about 2 hours long. We went for the shorter lines and it was a wonderful day.

Something a little more serious-- on the concourse they still have up the player portraits from last year (the ones on the support columns as you go along the middle of the concourse). The one for Salei-- periodically people would walk up to it and touch it gently, cross themselves, bow their heads, or whatever, all very respectful. We walked closely past it on the way out, and I noticed that someone had written on the bottom corner of it, "We love you." It's the only graffiti I have ever seen at the Joe. I hope they leave it, because it was really very moving.

I also went to Hockeyfest and I had a blast!! I met Eaves, Holmstrom, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Howard, Kindl, and Helm. The only bad experience I had was I waited an hour and a half for Jimmy's autograph but then once the line got moving towards me I found out that Kronner had replaced Jimmy so i was disappointed but I was happy to get Kronner,s autograph but when it was my turn Kronner was talking to the guy next to him didn't even look at me just signed my flag and gave it back. I really want to say something like "dude seriously I just spent an hour and a half of my time to get an autograph can you at least acknowledge me?" But I didn't want to be rude.

Then as I was leaving wingnut40 and I walked past Rusty's column and we saw that people had written on it and we wanted to too but I didn't want to get in trouble so I didn't. And when I got Kindl's autograph I just wanted to hug him because he looked horrible. I could tell he was putting on a brave face for us. I felt so bad for him.

Oh wingnut40 and I were the second to last group to go for the locker room tour and I just about died. It was awesome to be in there!! She and I decided to take videos of the tour and I ended mine before she and my back was turned but low and behold jimmy come walking into the locker room!! and he said " Wheres my stuff?" as he looked at his stall and the best part about it was that she got it on video. and one of the guys that was in the locker room guarding it asked me if I knew who had just come in and I said "Ya thats Howard" and it looked like he didn't believe me cuz he looked at me funny. It seemed like all the people working Hockeyfest were intrigued by my friend and I because we just played it cool when Jimmy walked in. I think they were expecting us to be screaming and yelling I don't know but it was funny.

Another thing that I really liked was everyone was soooo friendly. Wingnut40 and I talked to people in about every line. It was great it kept us occupied and entertained.

All in all in was an amazing day. Im really looking forward to next year.

#18929 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

I'm so proud of you girls for not making a scene and acting more mature than I'm sure a lot of girls your age would. Those sort of girls give the rest of us a bad name. Way to represent the Real Female Fans of Hockey!

Now if I'd been there, I'd have been arrested or something. :P

#18930 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Karen I'm sure you would have behaved as well...what goes on in your mind is of no consequence as long as you keep your cool on the outside. ;)

Glad you girls had such a great time, if I were in the right mood I might as answered Jimmy saying that I took his stuff. :P The locker room so so cool to see, when you're actually in there it doesn't feel as big as it looks on tv. Did you make sure not to step on the Wing?

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#18931 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed with the whole Kronwall thing. That was the only bad part of the day. Oh and Jimmy kind of did that too because some mom with her little girl was like "say hi to Howard" etc. So he gave his attention to the little blonde toddler in pigtails. Whatever. :P

We didn't get in Nick's line, but we were mere feet from him and that was enough for me. I can now say I saw perfection with my own two eyes. We got there as he was getting up to leave. He was apologizing to the people who were right there and couldn't get his autograph. There was this one lady who was chasing him down! Ok, power walking him down would be more accurate, but still. Like lay off!

As Marissa said, you could tell Kindl was crushed. I left Helm's line to "go to the bathroom" when actually I wanted to see if I could ask Kindl if he was OK, since his line was short. But I didn't. Then when I went back to Helm's line I was almost not let back in! :o

Helm was really sweet. I asked him if he was as fast on the ground as he is on the ice. He said "Faster" I think he was lying. Anyway, we shared a moment, I'm just saying. There were sparks there in that 20 second conversation. :PPPP

Eaves might have been my favorite though. While we were waiting for Homer (who turned out to be Hank) we saw Miller and Eaves on the ice so we went out there. I went first and got my pic with him, and told him he has a beautiful smile and that everyone, even the guys, say so. Then I went to take a pic of him and Marissa and I couldn't because I was shaking SO BAD, so I had some lady do it. :P Then about 15 mins later we saw that he was signing things so we went back to get our stuff signed. When I went up he was like "Did you finally stop shaking?" I explained how I always shake a little bit but when I'm nervous it gets ridiculous. I thought it was so funny that he said that!!

And the locker room was awesome. They had the ropes so you wouldn't step on the wheel. We were messing around in there having a good old time. It really is a lot smaller in person. Oh and I can post the video of Jimmy if you want. It's not much, you can barely hear him, but it was still funny. :P
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#18932 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

I'm so glad you guys had so much fun...the guys are so sweet, aren't they?

I hope I get to see Jakub this weekend. I think if I can I'd like to give him a hug...sounds like he could use one.

If you wanted to get on Patrick's good side, next time ask him about Reuben. His eyes will light up when he talks about him.
Posted Image

#18933 Danny=Badass

Danny=Badass

Jr. Prospect

• 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

I'm so glad you guys had so much fun...the guys are so sweet, aren't they?

I hope I get to see Jakub this weekend. I think if I can I'd like to give him a hug...sounds like he could use one.

If you wanted to get on Patrick's good side, next time ask him about Reuben. His eyes will light up when he talks about him.

Give Jakub a hug from all of us I'm sure that would cheer him up. :D

I was gonna ask hime but i was really nervous so I second guessed myself and thought it was Miller that had the dog. All the guys are really sweet!!! But the only one that i actually talked to was Jimmy I told him he was my favorite and he said thanks. Oh when i got Hanks autograph he asked me how I was doing and as an automatic response I said "good how bout you" and he said "very well thanks" and i thought awww such a gentleman.

#18934 redwingslady87

redwingslady87

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed with the whole Kronwall thing. That was the only bad part of the day. Oh and Jimmy kind of did that too because some mom with her little girl was like "say hi to Howard" etc. So he gave his attention to the little blonde toddler in pigtails. Whatever. :P

We didn't get in Nick's line, but we were mere feet from him and that was enough for me. I can now say I saw perfection with my own two eyes. We got there as he was getting up to leave. He was apologizing to the people who were right there and couldn't get his autograph. There was this one lady who was chasing him down! Ok, power walking him down would be more accurate, but still. Like lay off!

As Marissa said, you could tell Kindl was crushed. I left Helm's line to "go to the bathroom" when actually I wanted to see if I could ask Kindl if he was OK, since his line was short. But I didn't. Then when I went back to Helm's line I was almost not let back in! :o

Helm was really sweet. I asked him if he was as fast on the ground as he is on the ice. He said "Faster" I think he was lying. Anyway, we shared a moment, I'm just saying. There were sparks there in that 20 second conversation. :PPPP

Eaves might have been my favorite though. While we were waiting for Homer (who turned out to be Hank) we saw Miller and Eaves on the ice so we went out there. I went first and got my pic with him, and told him he has a beautiful smile and that everyone, even the guys, say so. Then I went to take a pic of him and Marissa and I couldn't because I was shaking SO BAD, so I had some lady do it. :P Then about 15 mins later we saw that he was signing things so we went back to get our stuff signed. When I went up he was like "Did you finally stop shaking?" I explained how I always shake a little bit but when I'm nervous it gets ridiculous. I thought it was so funny that he said that!!

And the locker room was awesome. They had the ropes so you wouldn't step on the wheel. We were messing around in there having a good old time. It really is a lot smaller in person. Oh and I can post the video of Jimmy if you want. It's not much, you can barely hear him, but it was still funny. :P

That was me he was apologizing to! We were so close to each other and didn't even know it. My boyfriend Chris was the last person to get Nick's autograph. He was getting a number signed for our friend who couldn't make it, so she could have it sewn onto her boyfriend's jersey for his birthday next week. Nick signed the number as he was getting up, and then he grabbed his jacket, and looked at me standing there looking all sorts of crushed. He said he was sorry, but he had to go. I was grateful that he acknowledged me and said he was sorry.

#18935 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

That's how Nick is, he's so wonderful! Hearing about all your experiences makes me remember when I met them at the Toasts I went to. I wish I could afford to do that every year because it's so much fun. There are still long lines for the popular guys but those less popular, like Helm and Eaves are easy to get to. I will never forget those two, they were eating along the boards, I think it was wings because they both licked their fingers before trying to take my marker. :lol: Gross but funny at the same time.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#18936 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

I don't think those two will have short lines for very much longer... :)
Posted Image

#18937 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

That was me he was apologizing to! We were so close to each other and didn't even know it. My boyfriend Chris was the last person to get Nick's autograph. He was getting a number signed for our friend who couldn't make it, so she could have it sewn onto her boyfriend's jersey for his birthday next week. Nick signed the number as he was getting up, and then he grabbed his jacket, and looked at me standing there looking all sorts of crushed. He said he was sorry, but he had to go. I was grateful that he acknowledged me and said he was sorry.

AH no way! I thought it was very nice of him though to keep signing even though that guy was hounding him to get moving. It looked like he kept signing after the guy told him time was up and then he signed as he was leaving. From what I saw anyway. But I'd feel lucky that Nick spoke words at me, even if they were to apologize that he couldn't give his autograph. :P Your friend's boyfriend better appreciate that gift and they better never break up, because that could have been you getting something signed!
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#18938 redwingslady87

redwingslady87

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Yup I did. I kept saying "at least he said he was sorry". Lol, that's what I told her. We stopped by her work to drop off the number, she gave us dinner and a couple of beers on the house before she rushed off to fanatic-u to get the letter sewn on.

#18939 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

They are going to have a collection time for sympathy cards for Brad McCrimmon's family. If you are all okay with it, I'd like to have one from all of us who can't be there but who are thinking of them. Is that okay with you all? I won't do it unless you say it's okay.
Posted Image

#18940 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

You can include me for sure Pat, how sweet of you.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users