• Please log in to reply
20653 replies to this topic

#19001 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

You had a great thing with Selanne and I bet he really appreciated that card. I thinks that's the kind of thing that is better than just meeting them and having them autograph something for you. He actually got to be friendly with you and probably looked forward to seeing you at practice because he knew you were there to support them and not hound him.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#19002 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

I think Teemu is dreamy. There's an advantage to the "smaller" markets -and by that I mean smaller fanbases.

#19003 OzzieFan30

OzzieFan30

Ozzie's Official Nurse

• 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Puckloo (linda?) that is the coolest story!! What a cute thing to do for him. I have a couple of Ozzie cards that people have given me... that gives me an idea... he did just have a son... mind if I steal your idea?
And for the record, we don't have enough money to be present all the time. We really have done well on this vacation in my opinion: camping = $189/6 days, tickets = $160 (mostly standing room), borrowing in-laws camper, budgeted $150 for gas and spending about the same as we usually do on food between eating out and grilling. This has been the best vacation ever! We usually go to 2 or 3 games thruout the year, and went to our very first playoff game last year, but I think this year we might just save that money for better Training Camp tickets next year.
I'm so happy for Pat, every time I look over at they are grinning away LOL. I talked with her for a few minutes while we were there but accidentally got her in trouble because she wasn't in her "seat," sorry again, Pat!! We had real seats today, mezzanine, they were really good for taking pictures! I don't know how to post them on here tho? The funny thing is, today we were not in our seats hardly at all. Because we were on Ozzie and Draper watch! And, we did get to meet KRIS DRAPER!! :D He is SO nice!! We were sitting in this corner, waiting for Ozzie, and I looked over and see Kris walking behind Pat! So I tell my husband, ohmygoshgetyourjersey, all in one word LOL because he has a game-worn jersey that he wanted to get signed and we didn't even know Kris was going to be here! So he stopped about 25 feet away and was talking to some important looking guys and I draped the jersey over my leg (no pun intended) and Kris saw his name, and said to me, "I'll be right over!" I LITERALLY LOOKED BEHIND ME, like "Is he talking to me?!" haha and I said "Really?" And he chuckled, and said "Yeah!" So the news people were standing right under us, and they said, "Oh, this is gonna be good." and started filming, so I think they got it on camera. SWEET! Cause of course I forgot to turn the camera on. Talk about a total fangirl epidose. He signed Bryan's jersey and then I asked him for a hug, and he gave me a hug. I told Bryan I'm never taking a shower again hahahaha!! I'm so happy for my husband! That was the total highlight of my day today!

The elusive Osgood snuck past us again today ladies. I got a lot closer this time! I was within 5 feet today. I was silent, of course. He came up to one girl who had a stick of his and asked her if she would like him to sign it, she just shook her head haha! Then some people saw he was there and started yelling his name so he left. I was RIGHT THERE! He's beautiful. Kris Draper is pretty cute too, just for the record. Like I'm talking, really, REALLY good looking. I was shaking. I've been a fan of his forever too, but I never really looked at him like that until he was like, right there. WOW.

By the way, when we saw Kris Draper, Ozzie was coming back into the arena and saw me sitting there with my jersey, turned around, and walked the other way. That's what makes me think I'm Ozzie-repellant. :unsure:
Ozzie, what do you think the key to this whole playoffs and winning the Stanley Cup was? (asks Darren McCarty, interviewing Ozzie after beating Penguins in 2008 to win the Cup) "Just that we made every last minute a kerfuffule. That would be it, I mean, we never could just put an empty-netter in there to make it easy. We had to... really, you know what we did it for? So the fans could watch right to the end."

Thanks, Oz. So nice of you to always be thinking of the fans!!!!

#19004 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:08 PM

Michelle, I am happier than happy for you and Bryan. You still haven't come down off the ceiling yet, and that's why I am happy as all hell for you. I know you felt so discouraged yesterday, but sometimes the worst day can become a precious memory.

Loo, believe me when I tell you this - I'd give anything in the world for you to have been here yesterday when Aaron was around. I wish I could have gotten you Dom's autograph in the book - I would have considered it an honor beyond words. I would do anything in the world to give you gals a little joy...you all treat me better than my own sister does, and I love you all so dearly. Maybe someday I can repay you all. I feel guilty that I've been so lucky.
Posted Image

#19005 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

Michelle, don't feel too bad. Part of it is that Ozzie is a really private, shy person. He doesn't get sometimes why people like him so much. But a silver lining to it is that when you do meet him (and you will) all this build up just makes that moment that more special. And I have to tell you, when I was walking down to go into the scrimmage, I nearly bumped into this guy then realized who it was, and would have loved to have seen the double take I did when I realized it was Kris Draper.

Pat, it was great to chat (briefly) with you. That was so funny, though, because as soon as we got to talking, who decides to come out? Pasha! When he came down by me, I told him what a great man he is for honoring Salei by wearing his #24.

The highlight of the day (especially after the soaking rain, cold, and wind) was getting my #5 jersey signed. I asked Nick if he would "bless" my jersey--a classic jersey for a classic guy. Then I got a GREAT picture with him. That man is so damn handsome.

#19006 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,454 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

Such great stories from camp, I love it, and appreciate you gals sharing your adventures. I get that tingly, giddy sensation all over again, I remember what it's like to be thrilled, simply to be in the same building with the Wings. I know exactly how you feel, Michelle. And yes, of course, try the card trick with Ozzie. LOL~ Teemu told me that he had hardly anything collectible of his own, from his career. They just don't have time, mostly, and if their parents or partners don't collect their stuff, they don't have much...

My friend in San Jose had the best hockey-player magnet ever. She had a beautiful, expensive camera with as long a lens as SJ arena would permit -- and such a knack for taking pictures of the players!! Hers were better than some I've seen published, I am not kidding. Anyway, she would go home and print 8x10s for the players of themselves.... she would ask for them to sign one and give them copies for themselves. They were absolutely THRILLED!

She was very popular, and it was hilarious to see the guys sort of stop and "pose" for her in warmups. They knew who she was and would look for that big camera lens. Just hysterical!! She was madly in love with Mike Ricci - it takes all kinds - and had some close-up (hideous) pics of him. He was pretty funny, I could see why she liked him.

Kris Draper is the best, he was nice to me the couple of times I met him, too. So was Mac. He was a sweetheart, held the door open for me once at a Starbucks in SJ. :hehe:

Pat, I wish I was there with you. I really do. You just have to soak up all the Winginess you can, and keep sharing. It's not quite like being there, but we have the double-pleasure of knowing how much you love these guys and how much you appreciate being there. We love that you're loving this all!

Sounds like it hasn't been the best camp for autographs or visiting, this year. It happens. They have a lot on their minds and probably very heavy hearts, our poor boyz. So many losses this summer, it's so sad. I am glad they are back together, so they can lend each other a shoulder and an ear.

We'd all be glad to lend them something, wouldn't we? :D

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#19007 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

Oh, girls, I forgot to tell you all. When I went to the dinner last night, I told Joey he was a real sport for letting my friend tease him and give him *2* kisses on the cheek. Then I asked if he would let me make her jealous and allow me to give him a peck on the cheek too! He did and laughed at my motives. He is a real sweetheart.

And Patrick said he played tennis with Pavel yesterday, and that Pavel kicked his butt at it too!

Loo, yeah it's not been too great for sigs, but for me, one of the best parts aside from meeting the boys is spending time with my Wings friends whom I've met through camp. I came up in '08 all by myself, and now I know so many people and have so many friends, from the group who are my DRW family, to some of the security guys, and to those you strike up a random, Wings related conversation with as you stand outside or sit in the arena taking pictures watching the practices. It really fills my "ALL WINGS, ALL THE TIME" tank until the next year.

#19008 OzzieFan30

OzzieFan30

Ozzie's Official Nurse

• 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

I'd be glad to lend Ozzie anything he needs!!!!! My car, a shoulder to cry on, my clothes... :huh: Oh, sorry. Did I say that out loud? Yeah. Well, I like him so much because he's the underdog. I don't understand why people were always such fair-weather fans of his. He was always good, right from the start. He has such a great attitude on life, he's got to, or else he never would have made it like he has. And he's always so nice about it. I mean, yeah, of course he's a total Hot Wing, but looks aside, he's just an all around nice guy. You can't beat that.

Miss Wing Queen, I had that same thing happen to me with Mike Babcock!! I came out of the bathroom, looking for my husband, and almost ran right over this group of three guys. I said, "Oh sorry, excuse me," and did a double take and just stopped in the middle of the hallway! :scared: Bryan was laughing his butt off at me, literally had to sit down, said it was the funniest thing he had seen all day. I'm so glad you got to meet Lidstrom!! How exciting! Did he come out in the rain? Pat said Pasha did, and Eaves, too. What awesome guys :wub:

What I am enjoying most about camp is seeing all the guys joking around with each other. They keep it light as they can during practice, Pasha kept hammering the puck at Danny Cleary's skates and he couldn't figure out where it was coming from, it was so funny. Then Pasha was messing around with them during their sprints making them crash into each other and messing with their sticks. It's so fun to see them not in such a serious "game" mode. As sad as I am about Ozzie, I am still having the time of my life!

Oh yeah: PS - Did you ladies see this shirt you can buy in honor of Salei? It's on the downwithdetroit.com website, they have a lot of unique cool Detroit t-shirts. http://downwithdetro...wings-I11518754 Just thought some of you might like to get one!

Edited by OzzieFan30, 19 September 2011 - 05:03 PM.

Ozzie, what do you think the key to this whole playoffs and winning the Stanley Cup was? (asks Darren McCarty, interviewing Ozzie after beating Penguins in 2008 to win the Cup) "Just that we made every last minute a kerfuffule. That would be it, I mean, we never could just put an empty-netter in there to make it easy. We had to... really, you know what we did it for? So the fans could watch right to the end."

#19009 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

The only ones who I heard came out today were Patrick, Ty, Nick and Pasha...bless their hearts. I honestly offered Pasha my raincoat...I would have gladly braved a case of pneumonia to let Pasha have my raincoat. I mean, he is in danger of melting!

Terry said the same thing about the light heartedness...he said he's never seen Pasha laugh like he was today. He said, "Every time I see him he's so serious, but he was laughing and having fun." He has such a sweet smile.

Drew Miller has been so sweet and kind...he's really growing on me. And I had to ask Patrick how Reuben is...he smiled and said, "He's doing great."

By the by, Wing Queen, it was great to see you for a couple minutes before the rain set in...maybe tomorrow we can talk a little more.

Edited by Kira, 19 September 2011 - 08:56 PM.

Posted Image

#19010 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

Sounds good, Pat! I'll be out in the morning before practice, and I'll be at the game too. I'll be in my Lids jersey, so anyone else here tomorrow, feel free to stop me and say hi!

#19011 OzzieFan30

OzzieFan30

Ozzie's Official Nurse

• 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:51 AM

LADIES: AHEM. Listen up. This is important. In honor of this day in my life, I attempted to give you 30 dancing bananas, 30 dancing carrots, and 30 yowza smiley guys, however apparently this board does not allow that, so I can only give you one line:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

OH YEAH. It happened. I not only met Ozzie, but I had a conversation with him. AND KIRK MALTBY, AND KRIS DRAPER. YUP. Prayers work! It only took me one and one half hour to get up the courage after he and Chris Chelios came into the bar with Kirk and Kris LOL. :beerbuddy: Holy smokes. Amazing. He is so nice, and he was joking with me, and I was joking back, I can't believe it. Then "Malts" which is apparently his nickname to everyone, asked where we were staying and we told him the State Campground. Well, he gave us some cryptic message to give to some of his buddies that are staying here, and we did, and we all had a good laugh. I'm still totally amazed. I told Ozzie I wanted to shake his hand because I've looked up to him for 16 years, and Malts said, "That's it? Not even a hug?" I said, "Well, I don't want to embarrass anyone, including myself! I'm just happy to meet you at all!" So Ozzie opened his arms and said, "Come here!" AHHHHH! :wub: Oh man, you guys it was amazing. Then my husband, who was SUPER MAD because it was so late (1AM!) and I was stalling because I was scared, comes walking around the corner thinking I was still going to be down the other side of the bar, and here I am, chatting up Ozzie and Kirk. HAHAHAHA :blush: Then up walks Kris, WHO REMEMBERS US FROM EARLIER TODAY AND JOKES ABOUT HIS JERSEY SIGNATURE oh my gosh, I just can't even believe this you guys. It's like 3 AM, I gotta go to sleep. But I couldn't sleep without telling you ladies thank you for encouraging me. He looked into my eyes! I know he'll remember me and not run away next time he sees me!!!!!!!

#19012 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:38 AM

Oh Michelle! I am so proud of you! You see - miracles do occur. I get hugs from Pasha, you get hugs from Kris and Ozzie. Now we'll NEVER get you down from the ceiling!

Good on ya! Tell Bryan to just remember who you're going home with - and it ain't Ozzie. ;)
Posted Image

#19013 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:41 AM

I'm so happy for you!

Here's some produce to mark your special day -
:banana: :carrot:
:carrot: :banana:
:carrot: :banana:

See? Now you know the secret. Wait until the crowd has thinned, be nice and polite, and hit them when they're drunk!

#19014 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

I am so happy for you Michelle!!

:yowza: :banana: :carrot: :yowza: :banana: :carrot:

I'm glad you got the courage to go over there because you would have kicked yourself if you didn't. I really really wish I were up there, we could have gone over together sooner and had a great evening with the boys.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#19015 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,454 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

Well, Michelle, I am glad for you. You got a better audience with your dude than I ever did or ever will. Not for lack of trying on my part, but just no good opportunities. Happy you got your fondest wish fulfilled.

I will forever remember the last time I watched Dom leave the ice, knowing I wouldn't ever have another chance to meet him. When it's over, it's over with some of the guys. Apparently, Ozzie will be around for a while, like Cheli and Malts and hopefully Draper... so you did good.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#19016 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

Interesting visitor to camp today - Darren McCarty! I even got a hug from him. And yes, it is true he is working for the pawn shop...and he likes it apparently. He seems happy, and was giving Malts a hard time, and Ozzie bear hugs. I also heard a story that Mike Babcock said, "Well, Mac, Hell has indeed frozen over - Ozzie is a coach." :lol:

Aaron Downey has been an absolute angel...every time I see him he has a big smile and a hug for me. God love that man, 'cause I sure do...and he asked if I talked to "the sisters". I said yes, and passed on his message...and then I told him what you all said. He was very flattered and touched, and said we were all amazing.

I am hating to see the end of camp come. Makes me cry every year. Pasha will not be around tomorrow, but he will be Thursday. That's when I will be in tears, I'm sure.
Posted Image

#19017 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

Did you tell Aaron about the kidnapping plot????? :D

#19018 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

Are you kidding?????

Well, Aaron came through. Henrik came and signed Jeanie's pic of Hank for her. He thinks Hank is "cute" and he was very flattered that she did that. Then I told him about her calling him a hockey dog (and his barking approval), and he liked that - he laughed. When I told him about my Loki growling at he who will not be named, Henrik said, "Oh, I like that." Needless to say, I owe Aaron a huge hug the next time I see him.

More pictures have been loaded up on Facebook...Kristi, there was another Cheli sighting today, and some good pics!

I am going to hate tomorrow morning...seeing Pasha one last time (and yes, I did see him this morning) will put me in tears, I fear. It's never easy on the last day.
Posted Image

#19019 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Ladies, I'm crying in my beer . . . if I was drinking one. I'm at home now, and way too sad that camp is over and it's back to reality tomorrow. But I had so much fun this weekend. Pat and Michelle, it was great seeing you both this weekend. Michelle, I so glad you got to meet Ozzie (although it took awhile).

So to add to the good stories, in addition to giving Joey MacDonald a kiss on the cheek on Sunday night, I have a few more highlights. First, and I'm sorry for those who will be jealous, but I melted into a puddle of goo on Tuesday after the Red & White game, when one of my other favs ventured out in a sexy white polo sans glasses (due to recent lasik surgery). Yes, Mr. Kronwall came out, and after I got him to sign my mini helmet and take a picture with me, I asked him (while only slightly shaking) if I could also give him a hug. He said yes, and I gave/got one the best hugs ever. :wub: I was also asking him about his Scotland trip and if he loved the country, which I've also been to, and whether he had played certain courses. I told him we would miss his cute glasses but would get to see his nice eyes more now. And second, during the Red & White game intermission, a man came up to me with a video camera strapped to his shoulder and asked if he could interview me, saying, "I singled you out of everyone because of your earrings." I have Red Wings earrings, but other people do too, so I think it was partly because I was on the end and maybe he was flirting. So he asked me my name, where I was from, what I liked about camp, etc. I then asked him what this was for, and he said he worked for channel 7/4 (NBC) up there and it would be on the 5pm news. I was shocked in a good way, and after he walked away, the people in the bleachers around me said, "I think we should ask for your autograph now." The reporter said he could send me a copy. I watched the 11pm news and there I was (a small snippet) sandwiched between video of the game. I'll post it when I get it.

Yesterday afternoon, Ken Holland came out at the very tail end of the day to sign a handful of autographs and this afternoon, Hank, Franzen, Fil, and White came out. I asked Franzen how his baby was and if he was growing like a weed, which he said yes to. And Loo, you will be glad to hear some of the security guys were wearing name tags with Brad and Rusty's names and numbers on them as a remembrance.

I was sad to see Traverse City in my rear view mirror, but the silver lining is that the regular season is right around the corner. Yeah!

#19020 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

Nik got lasik? Wow. That's good, though. That means his eyes will work and we don't have to worry about him losing an contact or not seeing the ice well.

Thanks to all of you who have shared stories and experiences. It's so cool to "know" people who get to do this stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users