• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsRdabest

Valtteri Filppula impresses.

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings/wings...0e_20050910.htm

With or without Datsyuk, however, the Wings always were going to have some new faces in their lineup, especially up front on the third and fourth lines. Though much could change between now and opening night on Oct. 5, Babcock came away from this past week's rookie training camp with a favorable impression of center Valtteri Filppula, Detroit's third choice (95th overall) in the 2002 draft. He has emerged as a candidate to stay in Detroit.

as you can read above it says theres a good chance he might play with us this season, a part of me would love to see him on the 3rd line with stevie , but another part of me thinks he'd be better off playing more in grand rapids

what do you guys think?

He's slightly bigger than Yzerman.

Yzerman is 5'11 190...Filppula isn't. Besides, Filppula isn't Yzerman. He needs to develop for a year in the AHL first.

Edited by WingMan56

We'll I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I think...

Get him on the Wings now!

lol

Yes, we all know what you think Aussie_Wing. We know that you would be all for signing a fetus as long as it would accept a two-way contract.

As for Filppula, it's best to let him get some ice time in Grand Rapids this year, at least at the start of the season. You have your exceptions (guys like Kovalchuk) who can come straight into the NHL from Europe and play well, but for most guys, they need a bit of time to adjust to the North American game.

Filppula is no exception. Lets at least let him start the season with Grand Rapids and get a bit of a feel for the North American game before we go rushing him straight into the NHL team.

Maybe by the end of the season we canbring him up if we need to (to cover for injuries, form slumps, etc).

from what i've been reading, he is really impressing and looks like he has a bright future ( hopefully with the Wings) i do think he needs to atleast start in GR and see how he progresses. if things go well, i have no problems with him in Detroit this season. let's just hope he doesn't crash his car or anything like that! unsure.gif

This is quoted from a Wings fan on another forums site. I agree 100%. See what you think.

"He's what we need. Very explosive, good offensive ability, and young. I say give him a chance. You could argue that he may need some seasoning in the AHL, but I'd disagree. Top tier European leagues are pretty much on par with the AHL, the only thing he'll have to adjust to is the size of the rink. The Finnish league plays more like the North American style of hockey, at least moreso than the rest of Europe. There's no doubt there will be some adjustment needed, but a lot of players will need to adjust, figure out what they can and can't do, etc.. with the rules, so it won't hurt him too much.

I really like this kid, I think he deserves a chance. I can't wait to get a chance to see him play. I hope he makes the team, I think he could become a very good player."

I'm hoping that all our up-n-comers split their time... rotate through Det for at least 15 games in the NHL. Franzen, Ellis, McGrath, Filppula, Quincey... let them develop in the GR, but give them some NHL experience too.

Unless one suddenly appears to be the second coming of Boyd Deveraux that is. scared.gif

Edited by ColdWarrior

Filppula was excellent in last year's playoffs in Finland. Although he has developed rapidly, I still think that this (and maybe the next, too) season he should learn the ropes at Grand Rapids. Then he will be ready for the Wings lineup.

This is mainly because Filppula should be in a scoring line in order him to use his strenghts. There is no use putting him to the 3rd or 4th line...

Just forget about Datsyuk and put Filppula in his place. The new Eurotwins: Zetterberg and Filppula. Although maybe that Swedish/Finnish rivalry would be too much to overcome.

Try this:

Shanahan-Lang-Yzerman

Zetterberg-Filppula-Williams

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Mowers-Franzen-????????

Edited by PRStoetzer

He came into prospects camp looking awful in the first game, but then straightened out and played extremely well. It'll be interesting to see what he does at training camp with all the Vets. There's a bunch of info on him in the Propects forum. People call him a combination of Dats and Zetts.

Zetterberg will and should play center....If Datsyuk doesn't come back, Zetterberg should go back to center. If I was Babcock, I'd leave Fillippa in GR, he needs to adjust to the physical play still and get consistent playing time

Zetterberg will and should play center....If Datsyuk doesn't come back, Zetterberg should go back to center.  If I was Babcock, I'd leave Fillippa in GR, he needs to adjust to the physical play still and get consistent playing time

I agree. I think he could maybe get stronger. Maybe gain 10lbs.

Babcock says he's got major league speed though.

Of all the current Wings prospects excluding Kronwall, I think Filppula sounds like he's made the biggest strides since draft day.

Edited by rick zombo

Just forget about Datsyuk and put Filppula in his place. The new Eurotwins: Zetterberg and Filppula. Although maybe that Swedish/Finnish rivalry would be too much to overcome.

Try this:

Shanahan-Lang-Yzerman

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Mowers-Franzen-????????

WOW, Placing him on the second line Center! Are we jumping the gun a bit here? crazy.gif

Try this:

Shanahan-Lang-Yzerman

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Mowers-Franzen-????????

-????????

Bootland

hopefully dats is on that list too

I agree with all of the positive stuff that has been said. As a matter of fact i think we should dump hudler and promote him next year. He is a much better all-around player than hudler. Flippula doesn't have a real good scoring touch, but its ok. But like dats and zets, he posesses excellent playmaking skills and on-ice vision.

I agree with all of the positive stuff that has been said. As a matter of fact i think we should dump hudler and promote him next year. He is a much better all-around player than hudler. Flippula doesn't have a real good scoring touch, but its ok. But like dats and zets, he posesses excellent playmaking skills and on-ice vision.

Personally, I feel it's a little early to be dumping Jiri Hudler. He's only 21, and although he lacks size and isn't exactly the fastest, he has some awfully good skillls. If Datsyuk re-signs, or the Wings find a second line winger via the free agent market or a trade, I feel that both Filppula and Hudler should start the season in the AHL.

Try this:

Shanahan-Lang-Yzerman

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Mowers-Franzen-????????

WOW, Placing him on the second line Center! Are we jumping the gun a bit here? crazy.gif

Remember that this isn't just some kid who's been playing against other kids his age. He's been in the top Finnish league for 3 years. He's played against veterans and some NHLers last year. He only had 10 goals and 20 assists in 55 games last year, but stepped it up in the playoffs and scored 5 goals and 6 assists in 12 playoff games. The Finnish league might not be anywhere close to the NHL, but I think it's a better indication than juniors or college where all the players are roughly the same age.

Really, why not try and use a line of Zetterberg-Filppula-Williams? If he sucks, no big deal, just send him back to Grand Rapids. If he's awesome, then it works out and the Red Wings are a better team.