• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsRdabest

Valtteri Filppula impresses.

Rate this topic

Also, we've had plenty of players never play in the minors here. Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Franzen probably won't. I think we're too obsessed with making sure a player develops in the AHL. If Filppula or any other prospect has NHL-caliber speed and strength, then to me, its not going to hurt him to play up here. I wouldn't bring him up to play on the fourth line though, that would be a waste of talent.

Just forget about Datsyuk and put Filppula in his place. The new Eurotwins: Zetterberg and Filppula. Although maybe that Swedish/Finnish rivalry would be too much to overcome.

Try this:

Shanahan-Lang-Yzerman

Zetterberg-Filppula-Williams

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Mowers-Franzen-????????

Lacouture, Rem Murray, Blake Sloan, Kent McDonell..one of these guys will be in that last 4th line spot.

umm what if datsyuk comes back we put them up in different lines and try filppula on the right wing, what do you guys think ??

zetterberg lang draper

shanahan datsyuk filppula

holmstrom hudler yzerman

maltby franzen williams

what do you guys think ??

shanahan comin to the 2nd line would have someone there to stand up for datsyuk/filppula if need be and hudler on the 3rd line can learn from the kind stevie which could only help(and itll be most likely the last chance since stevie might be gone next year) and holmstrom there also is another guy to stand up for him if need be as well

umm what if datsyuk comes back we put them up in different lines and try filppula on the right wing, what do you guys think ??

zetterberg lang draper

shanahan datsyuk filppula

holmstrom hudler yzerman

maltby franzen williams

what do you guys think ??

shanahan comin to the 2nd line would have someone there to stand up for datsyuk/filppula if need be and hudler on the 3rd line can learn from the kind stevie which could only help(and itll be most likely the last chance since stevie might be gone next year) and holmstrom there also is another guy to stand up for him if need be as well

If you bring Hudler and Filppula onto the roster, and Dats is back:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom--"Eurotwins" plus Homer for some grit and grinding.

Hudler/Lang/Shanahan--Hudler's skill can shine through because he's playing with two big strong guys who can score. Too concerned about Lang, teams can't sit a goon on Hudler.

Filppula/Yzerman/Williams--Three skill guys, nothing too gritty, but they won't be facing great defense as they're the third line. Could be reponsible for a lot of timely scores.

Maltby/Draper/Franzen--Grind line with a Swedish touch...Franzen is a perfect fit.

Regardless, the Wings have shown in the past that they're not scared to insert a young unproven European into their lineup after coming off a good camp. Not to say Filppula comes with the same brag sheet as Zetterberg, and he's not as old as Datsyuk was when he broke. Remember though, they gave Hudler a shot at the start of last season, but as a purely offensive player it was pointless to give him 4th line minutes. But Filppula has a better two way game, great speed, and is not a pip-squeak. A good camp though, and a Datsyuk scratch, I'd look at the following:

Shanny - Lang - Homer

Zetterberg - Draper - Williams

Maltby - Filppula - Yzerman

Mowers - Franzen - LaCouture

That could be decent.

That's why your not the coach of any team. thumbup.gifbattle.gif

And you are? Dude, what's with the flaming all of a sudden? Gee, sorry we had a difference of opinion.

Think about it, if Dats re-signs, why would we possibly want to rush two of our better prospects into the NHL? Hudler is obviously not fully adjusted to the North American game, and despite the prospects camp, we don't exactly know what Filpulla is capable of. I would not force Filpulla into the league as a winger, when he is clearly a good, all-round play-making centre. That's a total waste of abilities, and I was already upset enough when they placed Zetterberg on the wing. Sorry I don't feel every decent prospect in the system should be forced onto the team when that position could be filled by a cheap veteran. Rushing prospects is something the Toronto Maple Leafs do, and I do not want the Wings to become the next Toronto Maple Leafs.

Rushing prospects is something the Toronto Maple Leafs do, and I do not want the Wings to become the next Toronto Maple Leafs.

The wings should never play their rookies they should always play old washed up men. Thats why 29 other NHL teams beat us they just pound away because we don't have fast rookies on our roster. Babcock loves playing young guys because the ducks don't sign old washed up forwards i'm sorry they just don't. Filpulla should get a spot just for what he has done. Hank was great we let him have a change and Dats was great we let him play too. I don't think the whole team should be made up of rookies but you have to reward those players who perform well and he has done wonderful.

Edited by 8888

Zetterberg will and should play center....If Datsyuk doesn't come back, Zetterberg should go back to center. If I was Babcock, I'd leave Fillippa in GR, he needs to adjust to the physical play still and get consistent playing time

looney.gif

I don't think the whole team should be made up of rookies but you have to reward those players who perform well and he has done wonderful.

4th line minutes in the NHL is not a reward. That is why Kronwall and Hudler were sent down in '03-'04. They needed top line/pairing time to grow and mature as players and Filppula (unless he miraculously lands a top 6 spot) would be best served as a player to be skating 15-20 minutes a night as a Griffin than 5-10 minutes a night as a Wing. Hudler too (he's only a month or two older than Valtteri and has development left to make).

peace

4th line minutes in the NHL is not a reward. That is why Kronwall and Hudler were sent down in '03-'04. They needed top line/pairing time to grow and mature as players and Filppula (unless he miraculously lands a top 6 spot) would be best served as a player to be skating 15-20 minutes a night as a Griffin than 5-10 minutes a night as a Wing. Hudler too (he's only a month or two older than Valtteri and has development left to make).

peace

If he can make plays those 5-10 minutes than I want him on my team. biggrin.gif

If he can make plays those 5-10 minutes than I want him on my team. biggrin.gif

Generally speaking offensive players produce much less if not given full minutes and regular shifts. They need time on the ice to get into the flow of things. If he's playing every 6th or 7th shift and mop up duties in decided games(in games he's not scratched and sitting in the press box) he's not going to produce as well as if he's playing every 3rd-4th shift and in meaningful portions of the game.

peace

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom--"Eurotwins" plus Homer for some grit and grinding.

Hudler/Lang/Shanahan--Hudler's skill can shine through because he's playing with two big strong guys who can score. Too concerned about Lang, teams can't sit a goon on Hudler.

Filppula/Yzerman/Williams--Three skill guys, nothing too gritty, but they won't be facing great defense as they're the third line. Could be reponsible for a lot of timely scores.

Maltby/Draper/Franzen--Grind line with a Swedish touch...Franzen is a perfect fit.

I like the way you think! Homstrom with the twins is a great idea, but alas, it doesn't look good for Datsyuk: http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?i=sl&s...terviews&id=323

I'm interested in your lineups without Datsyuk! Come on, lets see what you got! biggrin.gif

The wings should never play their rookies they should always play old washed up men. Thats why 29 other NHL teams beat us they just pound away because we don't have fast rookies on our roster. Babcock loves playing young guys because the ducks don't sign old washed up forwards i'm sorry they just don't. Filpulla should get a spot just for what he has done. Hank was great we let him have a change and Dats was great we let him play too. I don't think the whole team should be made up of rookies but you have to reward those players who perform well and he has done wonderful.

Twenty-nine other teams beat the Wings. Really? Every other team constantly beats the reigning President's trophy winners, and quite easily the best team over the past ten years? Besides that akward comment, the obvious thing wrong with Detroit is not age (they were, by a fair margin, the oldest team in the league when they won the Cup in '02); Detroit's problem is grit.

I noticed you are comparing Babcock's Ducks to the Wings. Yes, you're right; Anaheim does not sign many elderly, veteran forwards. And what do they have to show for it? One Cinderella playoff run in which they rode a hot goalie, and a follow-up year in which they failed to so much as qualify for the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited about Filppula as everyone else is, but despite what Zetterberg and Datsyuk have done, I'm not a big fan of taking a prospect straight out of a European league and sticking him into the NHL, while allowing them no time to develop a feel for the North American game. That strategy didn't exactly work wonders for Jiri Hudler. I would've been happy to start Fillppula in the AHL and have him as the top call-up for Detroit. However, with Datsyuk looking more and more like he will stay in Russia, I realize that Valtteri is likely to get his first real taste of North American hockey with the Wings. This is something I'm not impressed with.

Man J-Swift, you are super patient long term thinking person! I am in awe of you! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif I wouldn't exactly call myself patient when it comes to the Wings. My mindset is primarily on this season, while ensuring that solid prospects are being developed in GR.

Sure you are! You are thinking long term - sign of a true fan!

Well, I guess the mindset of a hockey fan has to change with the new CBA. I think the league will wind up more like the NFL, with teams rising up and down in the standings from year to year. Those who gamble for immediate success will almost certainly be met with a major dropoff in team performance in the future.

As for Filppula, my concern for him is the fact that we may have another good point-getting centre with solid two-way abilities (like Zetterberg) coming out of Europe, and by forcing him into the lineup, we are sorta' stunting his development. Personally, I feel Valtteri can probably start this season in the NHL, and play quite well and contribute to the team. But I think he could be even better if he got some time in the AHL to build up confidence and an understading to the game on this side of the Atlantic. With his solid camp, though, I realize it would be hard to cut him, considering the kind of heart and competitiveness he seems to have.

Certainly, more emphasis on the draft is likely to come in the next couple of years, as it's an easy way for teams to grab cheap talent. Let's hope the days of the Wings throwing away their top picks are over.

I like the way you think! Homstrom with the twins is a great idea, but alas, it doesn't look good for Datsyuk: http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?i=sl&s...terviews&id=323

I'm interested in your lineups without Datsyuk! Come on, lets see what you got! biggrin.gif

My most recent lineup is looking something like this:

Holmstrom/Lang/Yzerman

Filppula/Zetterberg/Shanahan

Maltby/Draper/Williams

Lacouture/Franzen/Cleary

Mowers

Holmstrom/Lang/Yzerman--This line provided just about all our offense in the last couple games of the Nashville series, great chemistry.

Filppula/Zetterberg/Shanahan--Shanny gets a kick in the ass from Babcock, and his power and shot is put with two skilled two-way Scandinavians.

Maltby/Draper/Williams--Williams is a great energy player, a bit more natural offensive talent than Draper or Maltby, especially his shot. His addition to this line will allow this line to capitalize on many more of the chances they create.

Lacouture/Franzen/Cleary--Three solid two-way players with grit. All three have offensive capability if they get a chance or are needed to play on a higher line.

One advantage the Wings have over other teams?

Lang, Yzerman, Zetterberg, Shanahan, Draper, Williams, Lacouture, Franzen, Cleary, Mowers all can and have played all three forward positions. Filppula, Maltby, Holmstrom all can play two--Filppula has never played the right side but he has played center and left, Maltby and Homer play both wings. Most teams do not have that many easily convertible forwards.

Well, I guess the mindset of a hockey fan has to change with the new CBA. I think the league will wind up more like the NFL, with teams rising up and down in the standings from year to year. Those who gamble for immediate success will almost certainly be met with a major dropoff in team performance in the future.

As for Filppula, my concern for him is the fact that we may have another good point-getting centre with solid two-way abilities (like Zetterberg) coming out of Europe, and by forcing him into the lineup, we are sorta' stunting his development. Personally, I feel Valtteri can probably start this season in the NHL, and play quite well and contribute to the team. But I think he could be even better if he got some time in the AHL to build up confidence and an understading to the game on this side of the Atlantic. With his solid camp, though, I realize it would be hard to cut him, considering the kind of heart and competitiveness he seems to have.

Certainly, more emphasis on the draft is likely to come in the next couple of years, as it's an easy way for teams to grab cheap talent. Let's hope the days of the Wings throwing away their top picks are over.

I would like to see Filppula play maybe 10-20 games with the big club as a form of motivation, but yeah your arguments are pretty solid.

Also this has nothing to do with your post but....

Filppula > Hudler.... something I've long suspected from watching the World Juniors back in the day. Hudler was always more talented, but it was Filppula who steped up in the big games.

Edited by Cruiser008

I would like to see Filppula play maybe 10-20 games with the big club as a form of motivation, but yeah your arguments are pretty solid.

Also this has nothing to do with your post but....

Filppula > Hudler.... something I've long suspected from watching the World Juniors back in the day. Hudler was always more talented, but it was Filppula who steped up in the big games.

I'm a huge fan of Filppula. I like Hudler as well, but I just can't see him becoming more important to the Wings than Filppula.

Hudler has all the skill in the world, but he is just so small. If he was really quick, similar to Martin St. Louis, then he would probably be OK, but Hudler's other problem is that he isn't really that quick. He's that small that he will cop a heap of physical punishment, and he's not fast enough to get away from it.

Filppula is a bit bigger, and he has a lot more speed. He also is a solid two-way player, whereas Hudler is almost a purely offense-only guy. In a couple of years, Filppula is going to be a key part of our nucleus for the future.

I was just curious if anyone knows what number Filppula will be wearing with the Griffins/Wings this season?