• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 osiris99

osiris99

Red Wing Heat

• PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (PRStoetzer @ September 12, 2005 - 02:16PM)
Just forget about Datsyuk and put Filppula in his place. The new Eurotwins: Zetterberg and Filppula. Although maybe that Swedish/Finnish rivalry would be too much to overcome.

Try this:

Shanahan-Lang-Yzerman
Zetterberg-Filppula-Williams
Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom
Mowers-Franzen-????????

WOW, Placing him on the second line Center! Are we jumping the gun a bit here? crazy.gif

#22 TheNewGreatOne87

TheNewGreatOne87

Go Wings

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (PRStoetzer @ September 12, 2005 - 01:16PM)
Just forget about Datsyuk and put Filppula in his place. The new Eurotwins: Zetterberg and Filppula. Although maybe that Swedish/Finnish rivalry would be too much to overcome.

Try this:

Shanahan-Lang-Yzerman
Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom
Mowers-Franzen-????????

-????????

Bootland

hopefully dats is on that list too

#23 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

I agree with all of the positive stuff that has been said. As a matter of fact i think we should dump hudler and promote him next year. He is a much better all-around player than hudler. Flippula doesn't have a real good scoring touch, but its ok. But like dats and zets, he posesses excellent playmaking skills and on-ice vision.

#24 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (Mighty Wings @ September 12, 2005 - 03:26PM)
I agree with all of the positive stuff that has been said. As a matter of fact i think we should dump hudler and promote him next year. He is a much better all-around player than hudler. Flippula doesn't have a real good scoring touch, but its ok. But like dats and zets, he posesses excellent playmaking skills and on-ice vision.

Personally, I feel it's a little early to be dumping Jiri Hudler. He's only 21, and although he lacks size and isn't exactly the fastest, he has some awfully good skillls. If Datsyuk re-signs, or the Wings find a second line winger via the free agent market or a trade, I feel that both Filppula and Hudler should start the season in the AHL.

#25 PRStoetzer

PRStoetzer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (osiris99 @ September 12, 2005 - 03:22PM)
QUOTE (PRStoetzer @ September 12, 2005 - 02:16PM)

Try this:

Shanahan-Lang-Yzerman
Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom
Mowers-Franzen-????????

WOW, Placing him on the second line Center! Are we jumping the gun a bit here? crazy.gif

Remember that this isn't just some kid who's been playing against other kids his age. He's been in the top Finnish league for 3 years. He's played against veterans and some NHLers last year. He only had 10 goals and 20 assists in 55 games last year, but stepped it up in the playoffs and scored 5 goals and 6 assists in 12 playoff games. The Finnish league might not be anywhere close to the NHL, but I think it's a better indication than juniors or college where all the players are roughly the same age.

Really, why not try and use a line of Zetterberg-Filppula-Williams? If he sucks, no big deal, just send him back to Grand Rapids. If he's awesome, then it works out and the Red Wings are a better team.

#26 PRStoetzer

PRStoetzer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:48 PM

Also, we've had plenty of players never play in the minors here. Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Franzen probably won't. I think we're too obsessed with making sure a player develops in the AHL. If Filppula or any other prospect has NHL-caliber speed and strength, then to me, its not going to hurt him to play up here. I wouldn't bring him up to play on the fourth line though, that would be a waste of talent.

#27 WingMan56

WingMan56

Kronwall owns you

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (PRStoetzer @ September 12, 2005 - 12:16PM)

Try this:

Shanahan-Lang-Yzerman
Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom
Mowers-Franzen-????????

Lacouture, Rem Murray, Blake Sloan, Kent McDonell..one of these guys will be in that last 4th line spot.

#28 wingsRdabest

wingsRdabest

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:32 PM

umm what if datsyuk comes back we put them up in different lines and try filppula on the right wing, what do you guys think ??

zetterberg lang draper
shanahan datsyuk filppula
holmstrom hudler yzerman
maltby franzen williams

what do you guys think ??

shanahan comin to the 2nd line would have someone there to stand up for datsyuk/filppula if need be and hudler on the 3rd line can learn from the kind stevie which could only help(and itll be most likely the last chance since stevie might be gone next year) and holmstrom there also is another guy to stand up for him if need be as well

#29 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (wingsRdabest @ September 12, 2005 - 11:32PM)
umm what if datsyuk comes back we put them up in different lines and try filppula on the right wing, what do you guys think ??

zetterberg lang draper
shanahan datsyuk filppula
holmstrom hudler yzerman
maltby franzen williams

what do you guys think ??

shanahan comin to the 2nd line would have someone there to stand up for datsyuk/filppula if need be and hudler on the 3rd line can learn from the kind stevie which could only help(and itll be most likely the last chance since stevie might be gone next year) and holmstrom there also is another guy to stand up for him if need be as well

If you bring Hudler and Filppula onto the roster, and Dats is back:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom--"Eurotwins" plus Homer for some grit and grinding.

Hudler/Lang/Shanahan--Hudler's skill can shine through because he's playing with two big strong guys who can score. Too concerned about Lang, teams can't sit a goon on Hudler.

Filppula/Yzerman/Williams--Three skill guys, nothing too gritty, but they won't be facing great defense as they're the third line. Could be reponsible for a lot of timely scores.

Maltby/Draper/Franzen--Grind line with a Swedish touch...Franzen is a perfect fit.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#30 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

Regardless, the Wings have shown in the past that they're not scared to insert a young unproven European into their lineup after coming off a good camp. Not to say Filppula comes with the same brag sheet as Zetterberg, and he's not as old as Datsyuk was when he broke. Remember though, they gave Hudler a shot at the start of last season, but as a purely offensive player it was pointless to give him 4th line minutes. But Filppula has a better two way game, great speed, and is not a pip-squeak. A good camp though, and a Datsyuk scratch, I'd look at the following:

Shanny - Lang - Homer
Zetterberg - Draper - Williams
Maltby - Filppula - Yzerman
Mowers - Franzen - LaCouture

That could be decent.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#31 8888

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (J-Swift @ September 12, 2005 - 03:37PM)
I feel that both Filppula and Hudler should start the season in the AHL.

That's why your not the coach of any team. thumbup.gif battle.gif
Wing fan for life and death!!!!!

#32 8888

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (rick zombo @ September 13, 2005 - 12:30PM)
Filppula has a better two way game, great speed, and is not a pip-squeak.
Zetterberg
Filppula Yzerman
Franzen LaCouture

Now we agree!! clap.gif

#33 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (8888 @ September 13, 2005 - 05:58PM)
QUOTE (rick zombo @ September 13, 2005 - 12:30PM)
Filppula has a better two way game, great speed, and is not a pip-squeak.
Zetterberg
Filppula  Yzerman
Franzen  LaCouture

Now we agree!! clap.gif

Yeah, that 5 man forward corp is gonna take us far.

peace

Posted Image

#34 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (8888 @ September 13, 2005 - 06:54PM)
That's why your not the coach of any team. thumbup.gif battle.gif

And you are? Dude, what's with the flaming all of a sudden? Gee, sorry we had a difference of opinion.

Think about it, if Dats re-signs, why would we possibly want to rush two of our better prospects into the NHL? Hudler is obviously not fully adjusted to the North American game, and despite the prospects camp, we don't exactly know what Filpulla is capable of. I would not force Filpulla into the league as a winger, when he is clearly a good, all-round play-making centre. That's a total waste of abilities, and I was already upset enough when they placed Zetterberg on the wing. Sorry I don't feel every decent prospect in the system should be forced onto the team when that position could be filled by a cheap veteran. Rushing prospects is something the Toronto Maple Leafs do, and I do not want the Wings to become the next Toronto Maple Leafs.

#35 8888

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (J-Swift @ September 13, 2005 - 08:33PM)
Rushing prospects is something the Toronto Maple Leafs do, and I do not want the Wings to become the next Toronto Maple Leafs.

The wings should never play their rookies they should always play old washed up men. Thats why 29 other NHL teams beat us they just pound away because we don't have fast rookies on our roster. Babcock loves playing young guys because the ducks don't sign old washed up forwards i'm sorry they just don't. Filpulla should get a spot just for what he has done. Hank was great we let him have a change and Dats was great we let him play too. I don't think the whole team should be made up of rookies but you have to reward those players who perform well and he has done wonderful.

Edited by 8888, 16 September 2005 - 06:22 PM.

#36 8888

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ September 13, 2005 - 07:58PM)
peace

boxing.gif 2guns.gif censored.gif flamingmad.gif battle.gif

#37 8888

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ September 12, 2005 - 01:22PM)
Zetterberg will and should play center....If Datsyuk doesn't come back, Zetterberg should go back to center. If I was Babcock, I'd leave Fillippa in GR, he needs to adjust to the physical play still and get consistent playing time

looney.gif

#38 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (8888 @ September 16, 2005 - 06:21PM)
I don't think the whole team should be made up of rookies but you have to reward those players who perform well and he has done wonderful.

4th line minutes in the NHL is not a reward. That is why Kronwall and Hudler were sent down in '03-'04. They needed top line/pairing time to grow and mature as players and Filppula (unless he miraculously lands a top 6 spot) would be best served as a player to be skating 15-20 minutes a night as a Griffin than 5-10 minutes a night as a Wing. Hudler too (he's only a month or two older than Valtteri and has development left to make).

peace

Posted Image

#39 8888

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ September 16, 2005 - 07:29PM)
4th line minutes in the NHL is not a reward. That is why Kronwall and Hudler were sent down in '03-'04. They needed top line/pairing time to grow and mature as players and Filppula (unless he miraculously lands a top 6 spot) would be best served as a player to be skating 15-20 minutes a night as a Griffin than 5-10 minutes a night as a Wing. Hudler too (he's only a month or two older than Valtteri and has development left to make).

peace

If he can make plays those 5-10 minutes than I want him on my team. biggrin.gif

#40 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (8888 @ September 16, 2005 - 06:45PM)
If he can make plays those 5-10 minutes than I want him on my team. biggrin.gif

Generally speaking offensive players produce much less if not given full minutes and regular shifts. They need time on the ice to get into the flow of things. If he's playing every 6th or 7th shift and mop up duties in decided games(in games he's not scratched and sitting in the press box) he's not going to produce as well as if he's playing every 3rd-4th shift and in meaningful portions of the game.

peace

Posted Image