• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mibby

Last year's London Knights

Rate this topic

Being deprived of hockey last year, I checekd out a few OHL games. At one of the games in Plymouth, I met Dave Lewis who was walking around aimlessly, likely scouting. The London Knights were stacked last year ( a huge understatement), and most of the team has already been drafted. Rob Schremp was a high draft pick, but Cory Perry and Dylan Hunter are the guys that should one day make an impact. Then again, they were playing the plymouth whalers, but Perry made my jaw drop more than once last year. And western Canada yields great hockey players, the wings should draft there more often. Just draft the Calgary Hitmen like the flames do every year.

Edited by mibby

And let's compare the Wings' success with the Flames since the beginning of 1989-90...

Flames have won 3 playoff rounds, all last season.

Wings have won 3 CUPS.

As for WHL wings?

A notable WHL wing is Chris Osgood, who was huge in the 98 Cup and has 221 Detroit wins.

Another is Tomas Kopecky, who dominated the WHL but has had injury issues as a pro.

In fact, I think Osgood is the only GOOD player we've taken from the WHL in a while.

Yeah, the wings haven't drafted many WHL players at all, so you really can't judge. And Calgary in the past few years has been able to draft two-way players, guys that aren't afraid to hit. And they've been able to do this without an $80 million payroll. I love the wings, but I love hockey more, and the bias in these forums is insane. The wings got beat by a stronger, faster team that actually hits and has players that aren't all decrepit old men. Hopefully the new NHL will force Ken Holland into making better moves than what he's done in recent years. Derian Hatcher, Steve Thomas, Ray Whitney, 16 million dollars in two goalies past their prime. Maybe he can try and pursue Mark Messier. I loved the wings for their drafting of guys like Konstantinov, Marty Lapointe, Fedorov, Lidstrom. I knew it was over when they traded for Wendel Clark. Hopefully there will be no more dumbass free agent moves.

Give me 80 million, and I'll win you a stanley cup

Yeah, the wings haven't drafted many WHL players at all, so you really can't judge. And Calgary in the past few years has been able to draft two-way players, guys that aren't afraid to hit. And they've been able to do this without an $80 million payroll. I love the wings, but I love hockey more, and the bias in these forums is insane. The wings got beat by a stronger, faster team that actually hits and has players that aren't all decrepit old men. Hopefully the new NHL will force Ken Holland into making better moves than what he's done in recent years. Derian Hatcher, Steve Thomas, Ray Whitney, 16 million dollars in two goalies past their prime. Maybe he can try and pursue Mark Messier. I loved the wings for their drafting of guys like Konstantinov, Marty Lapointe, Fedorov, Lidstrom. I knew it was over when they traded for Wendel Clark. Hopefully there will be no more dumbass free agent moves.

Give me 80 million, and I'll win you a stanley cup

You ***** about decrepit old men, but then want Mark Messier?

Wtf? I'd take Stumpy over Messier.

Of course Mess retired, so moot point.

And Calgary was a total fluke--they have lost forward depth, have a goalie who is no guarantee to play starter time and lost their backup platoon, so there is a huge ? there, and they have a wash in talent at best on D.

There's a good chance the Flames miss the playoffs as a lot of near-postseason teams improved while they got worse.

And let's compare the Wings' success with the Flames since the beginning of 1989-90...

Flames have won 3 playoff rounds, all last season.

Wings have won 3 CUPS.

As for WHL wings?

A notable WHL wing is Chris Osgood, who was huge in the 98 Cup and has 221 Detroit wins.

Another is Tomas Kopecky, who dominated the WHL but has had injury issues as a pro.

In fact, I think Osgood is the only GOOD player we've taken from the WHL in a while.

How can you compare drafting by playoff success when Detroit has had twice the payroll?

Red Wings drafting in 89-94 is drastically different from Red Wings drafting in 94-99. What if you compare five randomly chosen years, who's had the most players make it to the NHL?

Just because Osgood is the only decent Red Wing from the WHL doesn't necessarily mean anything. Detroit may draft less from the WHL than other leagues.

Note: Detroit drafted 3 WHL players in this years draft. The last time they drafted that many were in 98. Detroit selected Brent Hobday, Jeremy Goetzinger and Petja Pietilainen. dry.gif

RWC: Wings go West

the messier thing was a joke. I didn't realize how hard it is to catch sarcasm through typing, but you could've figured it out based on the content of my post. The flames will make the playoffs this year, and they are more solid at net than your beloved wings ( and their goalie that likes letting in 90 footers at playoff time).

the messier thing was a joke. I didn't realize how hard it is to catch sarcasm through typing, but you could've figured it out based on the content of my post. The flames will make the playoffs this year, and they are more solid at net than your beloved wings ( and their goalie that likes letting in 90 footers at playoff time).

sarcasm is lost on 16 year olds

Guest ontariowingsfan
London Knights 8-4

I've been able to catch 3 games so far, yea, sorta a bump, but needless to say, they are gonna do quite well this season biggrin.gif

the knights were SUCKING before they got some of their boys back... now they're doing great. london would be a completely different team if someone like Schremp stayed in Edmonton