• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 cap20066

cap20066

Finch

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

I went to the Green & White game tonight at Munn and finally got to see this kid play.

My thoughts were that he looked really bad on his edges, turning and stopping looked labored and jerky. Perhaps just a bad sharpening job.

He seems to have a great wrist shot, and moderate speed.

One thing i noticed was that all of the players were being really social and talking and joking around on the bench and even on the ice during stoppages. Justin wasnt involved in any of it. And I dont think it's just because hes a freshman, a couple of the other freshman that were skating were laughing and talking as much as everyone else.
I'm Good

#2 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:59 PM

I feel really bad for the kid because for the duration of his hockey career I'll be comparing him to the guy I, and many others, were hoping Holland would pick.

/Latendresse has a goal and two assists in his first game back with his Junior team after narrowly missing out on a spot with the Habs.

peace

Posted Image

#3 snapshots

snapshots

Rookie

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ October 6, 2005 - 11:59PM)
I feel really bad for the kid because for the duration of his hockey career I'll be comparing him to the guy I, and many others, were hoping Holland would pick.

/Latendresse has a goal and two assists in his first game back with his Junior team after narrowly missing out on a spot with the Habs.

peace

Yeah, that pick came out of left field. Like the Lofberg pick.

He really didn't seem high on anyone's list at HF. But I've read some decent things about recently. I suppose one plus is that the Wings have his rights for four years instead of two.

Meanwhile, I like what I'm seeing out of Jeff May and Darren Helm so far this year.

#4 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:53 AM

I wanted to go to the Green and White game but wasn't able to. How'd Jeff Lerg look?

As of right now, Abdelkader will be centering the third line with fellow freshman Tim Kennedy and Tim Crowder.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#5 PRStoetzer

PRStoetzer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:29 PM

Just scored his first collegiate goal against Wayne State!

#6 PRStoetzer

PRStoetzer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

He sounds like he's doing a good job, winning faceoffs, moving the puck, getting shots off.

#7 PRStoetzer

PRStoetzer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

He is leading MSU today with 7 shots.

#8 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (snapshots @ October 7, 2005 - 12:17AM)

peace

He really didn't seem high on anyone's list at HF. But I've read some decent things about recently. I suppose one plus is that the Wings have his rights for four years instead of two.

Meanwhile, I like what I'm seeing out of Jeff May and Darren Helm so far this year.

he wasn't ranked high by HF...but CSS had him 25th of North American skaters while Latendresse had moved UP to 52.

Less out of left field than Latendresse would have been based on those rankings, which are the primary ones used by NHL teams.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#9 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ October 8, 2005 - 05:08PM)
he wasn't ranked high by HF...but CSS had him 25th of North American skaters while Latendresse had moved UP to 52.

Less out of left field than Latendresse would have been based on those rankings, which are the primary ones used by NHL teams.

Kendall McArdle #7. wink.gif Dan Collins #24. I'm sure McGrath was ranked much higher than his draft position would indicate. Hudler as well.

peace

Posted Image

#10 snapshots

snapshots

Rookie

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (eva unit zero @ October 8, 2005 - 06:08PM)
QUOTE (snapshots @ October 7, 2005 - 12:17AM)

peace

True. But there wasn't much buzz about him, that's for sure.

Latendresse, despite poor CSS ratings, was still being talked about as a top 15 pick by pundits on draft day.

#11 cap20066

cap20066

Finch

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:19 PM

I wanted to go to the Green and White game but wasn't able to. How'd Jeff Lerg look?

Good enough that me and my friends were screaming Lerg most of the night.

However it does help that it is a boss name.
I'm Good

#12 cap20066

cap20066

Finch

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

Update: I went to the MSU game last night and Abdelkader looked MUCH better. It seems that his skating problems were honestly just a bad sharpening job.

His shot is impressive, skating very solid, and he's pretty physical.
I'm Good

#13 TNBT

TNBT

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE (cap20066 @ October 26, 2005 - 10:44AM)
Update: I went to the MSU game last night and Abdelkader looked MUCH better. It seems that his skating problems were honestly just a bad sharpening job.

That's good to hear.

I've been saying since draft day that we have a good prospect here, and I'm sick of hearing people trash him because we didn't draft that Fenchy... whatever his name is.

Abdelkader is a solid all-round player now, and I can see him being an effective power forward for us in the future.

#14 fightfan24

fightfan24

Enforcer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (TNBT @ October 29, 2005 - 02:48AM)
QUOTE (cap20066 @ October 26, 2005 - 10:44AM)
Update: I went to the MSU game last night and Abdelkader looked MUCH better.  It seems that his skating problems were honestly just a bad sharpening job.

That's good to hear.

I've been saying since draft day that we have a good prospect here, and I'm sick of hearing people trash him because we didn't draft that Fenchy... whatever his name is.

Abdelkader is a solid all-round player now, and I can see him being an effective power forward for us in the future.

Good points -- also we can wait up to four years to sign him since he's in college -- we should know by that time if he can play for Detroit at some point. MSU is not a bad place to hone you skills.

#15 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ October 8, 2005 - 06:24PM)
QUOTE (eva unit zero @ October 8, 2005 - 05:08PM)

Kendall McArdle #7. wink.gif Dan Collins #24. I'm sure McGrath was ranked much higher than his draft position would indicate. Hudler as well.

peace

Hudler was ranked in the top ten...number one center in the draft.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#16 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:57 AM

"Michigan State was credited with 41 penalty minutes in the game, including a game disqualification of Spartans freshman Justin Abdelkader in the third period after a hit that left Pegoraro bloody and in need of stitches. Abdelkader was called for a 5-minute major and a 10-minute disqualification on a hit against Pegoraro that forced the senior to leave the ice for some stitches. A few minutes later, Pegoraro returned, wearing freshman Ryan Kindret's jersey, the other one too bloody."

Sounds like just what we need thumbup.gif

Edited by Aussie_Wing, 02 November 2005 - 07:59 AM.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#17 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (Aussie_Wing @ November 2, 2005 - 08:57AM)
"Michigan State was credited with 41 penalty minutes in the game, including a game disqualification of Spartans freshman Justin Abdelkader in the third period after a hit that left Pegoraro bloody and in need of stitches. Abdelkader was called for a 5-minute major and a 10-minute disqualification on a hit against Pegoraro that forced the senior to leave the ice for some stitches. A few minutes later, Pegoraro returned, wearing freshman Ryan Kindret's jersey, the other one too bloody."

Sounds like just what we need thumbup.gif

absolutly, this kid is a freshman and he destroyed a senior? Wow,...sounds great

Edited by theman19, 25 November 2005 - 12:17 PM.

#18 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:02 PM

Did he fight the guy, or was it just because of stickwork.... dry.gif

#19 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

still would have taken oh what is his name....really awesome player the Habs got due to Holland not knowing how to draft. Shoot, he's hella good and nearly made the big league right out of the gate. Oh ya Guillaume Latendresse. What a joke. No offense to Abdelkader or anything but one cannot even compare the two.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#20 Road Warrior

Road Warrior

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, once Abdelkater realizes the famed norrisnick and his slappies at LGW thinks another player should’ve been drafted in his place, he’ll probably just quit the game.

Wow, full of yourself much?