• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cap20066

Justin Abdelkader

Rate this topic

Yeah, once Abdelkater realizes the famed norrisnick and his slappies at LGW thinks another player should’ve been drafted in his place, he’ll probably just quit the game.

Wow, full of yourself much?

Who said anything about LGW? More than just me and "my slappies" held that opinion.

peace

Can I be a slappy too, Mommy? I'll be good and everything, even eat my broccoli, promise!

Anyway I'm reserving judgment on Abdelkader....few players make an impression as a freshman. Adjusting to college is a bigger challenge (taking classes and all....you're not focusing solely on hockey) than playing in juniors for the first time. Only the best of the best - the Dany Heatleys - are freshman stars.

The Leafs seemed to complain that they took Matt Stajan at 60 instead of Hudler, who was taken 62nd.

Hudler: 12 GP, 1G, 2A, 3Pts., 10PIM

Stajan: 94, 18, 19, 37, 34.

I'll give Hudler some time for transition, but I think I still like Stajan.

ya I would take Stajan over Hudler. But most of all if it was my call for the 2002 draft I would have traded up for Jim Slater. But you know what really gets me, our 4th round pick that year. Horrid. Staffan Kronwall hello people, didn't go until the 9th damn round.

he wasn't ranked high by HF...but CSS had him 25th of North American skaters while Latendresse had moved UP to 52.

Less out of left field than Latendresse would have been based on those rankings, which are the primary ones used by NHL teams.

Kendall McArdle #7. wink.gif Dan Collins #24. I'm sure McGrath was ranked much higher than his draft position would indicate. Hudler as well.

peace

Hudler was ranked in the top ten...number one center in the draft.

Hudler was #3 European in the 2002 NHL Draft. I was there. In Toronto.

The Leafs seemed to complain that they took Matt Stajan at 60 instead of Hudler, who was taken 62nd.

Hudler: 12 GP, 1G, 2A, 3Pts., 10PIM

Stajan: 94, 18, 19, 37, 34.

I'll give Hudler some time for transition, but I think I still like Stajan.

Hudler was taken 58th.

And Hudler has seen very little actual playing time in his NHL career, while Stajan has been given a chance on the thinner Maple Leafs.

Good signs thumbup.gif

"Freshman Justin Abdelkader, who was selected by the Red Wings in the second-round of June's NHL Entry Draft, had his first multiple-point game (a goal and an assist) for the Spartans.

Abdelkader assisted on Tim Crowder's goal to give the Spartans a 1-0, first-period lead. He scored with 9:56 left in regulation to draw the Spartans even."

I watched that GLIAC game last night. Abdelkader looked pretty sharp most of the time. He skated hard and beat a tough goalie. Let's hope Abdelkader can keep it up.

MTU's goalie (Teslak, I think?) stole the show. Something like 57 saves on 60 shots.

I watched that GLIAC game last night. Abdelkader looked pretty sharp most of the time. He skated hard and beat a tough goalie. Let's hope Abdelkader can keep it up.

MTU's goalie (Teslak, I think?) stole the show. Something like 57 saves on 60 shots.

Its the GLI, not GLIAC. The GLIAC is the conference GVSU, SVSU, etc is in wink.gif

I read someone 60 shots is a new GLI record.

Except Fretter(sp) made him look like a sieve with that move......and lets not forget the fact that he left half the net open right before he scored.

Except Fretter(sp) made him look like a sieve with that move......and lets not forget the fact that he left half the net open right before he scored.

There was virtually no one making him work for that guy, no one challenged him either.

Yeah, there was absolutely no coverage and Fretter made a great move to beat Teslak. Yes, MTU lost, but stopping 57 out of 60 is an awfully good performance by Teslak. Can you seriously knock a goalie for having a .950 save percentage in a game?

speaking of prospects...anybody have any updates on how Latendresse is doing?

He's being benched in the WJC due to his poor play and poor work habits, many Canadian fans who have been watching have been very dissapointed with his lack of good use of the ice time when he did get it.

He has time to turn it around and seems to have the skills, but as of right now it seems like he thinks he'll just coast onto the Habs roster next season and he isn't exactly encouraging anyone.

He's being benched in the WJC due to his poor play and poor work habits, many Canadian fans who have been watching have been very dissapointed with his lack of good use of the ice time when he did get it.

He has time to turn it around and seems to have the skills, but as of right now it seems like he thinks he'll just coast onto the Habs roster next season and he isn't exactly encouraging anyone.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say theses things. He destined for greatness don't you know. (sarcasm)

Yeah a big kid who can't skate and is lazy. Maybe Central Scouting was right to rank him 53rd or whatever last sping.

Heaton, Rick...wow...you guys dare go against the orthodoxy that says everything Holland does is s**t? That takes some balls.

I mean, how dare you think that the GM and the scouting department know more about a player than a bunch of keyboard jockeys who read a couple websites?

Personally, I feel really horrible for Abdelkader. I mean, the poor kid just wants to play hockey, but he's going to have to go through his entire career with NorrisNick judging his every move. I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I'd be able to handle that kind of pressue.

wink.gif

Edited by BlakChamber

Heaton, Rick...wow...you guys dare go against the orthodoxy that says everything Holland does is s**t? That takes some balls.

Someone has to do it. ph34r.gif

Personally, I feel really horrible for Abdelkader. I mean, the poor kid just wants to play hockey, but he's going to have to go through his entire career with NorrisNick judging his every move. I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I'd be able to handle that kind of pressue.

wink.gif

Few would. biggrin.gif

I like Abdelkader, just not his draft position.

peace

Yeah a big kid who can't skate and is lazy. Maybe Central Scouting was right to rank him 53rd or whatever last sping.

I wasn't aware that the Wings' organization was run in accordance to what the CSS said. Andrew Cogliano was rated 63rd by Central Scouting and was taken in the first round, and has impressed many with his creative, determined and exciting play in the WJHC this year.

Ask Montreal fans if they're happy with the selection of Latendresse, and you'll get one big resounding "yes". Ask Wings fans if they're happy with the selection Abdelkader, and responses are mixed at best.

Personally, I do like Justin Abdelkader. He has a lot of heart and a decent amount of grit, but as NN alluded to, he just does not have the offensive talent to be taken high in the second round, especially at the expense of drafting what this organization really needs, which is a power-forward. After watching Calgary's defence absolutely man-handle the Wings' forwards last season, it is painfully obvious that Detroit could use an offensively gifted forward capable of smashing his way to the net. We better hope Grigorenko pans out...

I mean, how dare you think that the GM and the scouting department know more about a player than a bunch of keyboard jockeys who read a couple websites?

wink.gif

What crap!! Holland has deity status on this board, it's the ones who dare question his moves that get chastized. No one is saying that Abdelkader is going to suck, but why draft him so high? Especially when there were other players who had more of a complete package and could provide an element this franchise seems to ignore. Holland could've drafted Ladrondresse (sp) and waited to drat Abdelkader later, he'd have still been around, that's the point.

You don't know that for a fact, so the argument is moot.

Ask Montreal fans if they're happy with the selection of Latendresse, and you'll get one big resounding "yes". Ask Wings fans if they're happy with the selection Abdelkader, and responses are mixed at best.

Up until this point, yeah, but after the latest crap with him at the WJC's some fans are getting sick of his antics and wish that he'd straighten up and realize that he's not Sidney Crosby. But you're right, most Canadiens fans know more about Latendresse than Red Wings fans about Abdelkader.

Edited by Heaton

Just calm down guys, it's way too early. Just like our francise players Zetterberg and Datsyuk were drafted in the late rounds, no-one even talked about them, just let him play and we will see because 2005 draft is over. Helm was picked in the 5th round 2005, right now he is 4th in WHL scoring on a same level that Setoguchi who was taken in the 1st by San Jose. Some guys improve their play quicker than the others. I'm not saying I think it was our best 2nd round choice, but it's done and all we can do is to wait and see.