• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cap20066

Justin Abdelkader

Rate this topic

I've seen a few MSU games and he is pretty complete out there -- he has some offense, plays sound D and can play the corners well. We have three (or less) years to bring him in too. Looks like he may end up a good pick after all.

I'm hoping he'll stay for all 4 years. MSU hasn't had a huge problem with their hockey players leaving early, unlike Izzo and the basketball program. Miller did a few years ago, but he played for 3 years. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Comley seems to finally have the team going in the direction he wants, so the Spartans could go back to being a top team.

Of course, there was the whole incident with AJ Thelen last year leaving early, but that was different.

Edited by BlakChamber

ive seen abdelkader on several msu broadcast this year and he looks great to me for a freshman . im guessing hes around 200 lbs which makes it impressive to skate so well , plus has very good vision/smartness making excellent passes , also seems rugged and looks to have goal scorers instincts . hes the kind of player i look at and say possible superstar when matures .

He needs to stay 4 years so he can mature mentally and physically. He can gain leadership ability while at MSU. If for some reason he left a year or 2 early I think he'd still need a year or 2 in Grand Rapids. I do like what i've seen so far.

I'm hoping he'll stay for all 4 years. MSU hasn't had a huge problem with their hockey players leaving early, unlike Izzo and the basketball program. Miller did a few years ago, but he played for 3 years. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Comley seems to finally have the team going in the direction he wants, so the Spartans could go back to being a top team.

Of course, there was the whole incident with AJ Thelen last year leaving early, but that was different.

Superstar?

Hell no.

If we're lucky, he'll pan out as a decent second liner or a good third liner with some offensive pop.

I agree that he's sort of physical and that he has skills.

But he's nowhere near superstar material

I'm hoping he'll stay for all 4 years.  MSU hasn't had a huge problem with their hockey players leaving early, unlike Izzo and the basketball program.  Miller did a few years ago, but he played for 3 years.  That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  Comley seems to finally have the team going in the direction he wants, so the Spartans could go back to being a top team.

Superstar?

Hell no.

If we're lucky, he'll pan out as a decent second liner or a good third liner with some offensive pop.

I agree that he's sort of physical and that he has skills.

But he's nowhere near superstar material

Not now he's not. No one expects him to be a superstar less then a year after he's drafted. We'll see where he's at in 3 years.He'll most likely still need a year in the minors. The best thing for him to do is work on his skills and get stronger.

With the Spartans loss to Maine on Sunday, their season is over.

Abdelkader ended up with 10 goals and 12 assists for 22 points in 44 games as a freshman. That put him 9th on the team in scoring and 2nd for freshmen. He was tied for 3rd on the team with 7 PPGs.

First Spartan game of the season.

Abdelkader had a goal and an assist. His line was responsible for 3 out of 4 goals for MSU. He also played some good defense, and had a very nice check that sent a Western player spinning.

First Spartan game of the season.

Abdelkader had a goal and an assist. His line was responsible for 3 out of 4 goals for MSU. He also played some good defense, and had a very nice check that sent a Western player spinning.

Excellent, very good to hear. Lets hope he keeps it up.

Let's hope Abdelkader turns into a good one 'cause we passed on Guillaume Latendresse over for him! :sly:

We also passed up on radek smolenak (TB 73 overall, LW 6'3 204) who has good potential as a top 4 winger as well as scorer.

HF's description of Smolenak after last season's performance:

Smolenak had an excellent sophomore season with the Kingston Frontenacs, and was able to parlay his 42-goal season into a professional contract with the Lightning, with expectations of making the jump to Springfield for the start of next season. Not only was he able to better all of his offensive categories from his rookie season, Smolenak was also able to do so by showing better consistency, a problem which plagued him in his first season in North America.

Smolenak put on a little more muscle since the start of last season, yet it did not adversely affect his moderate foot speed and agility. His skating is adequate, and should not be too much of a problem at the professional level, though his drive for the net and finishing ability should make up for any skating concerns. He has a good frame, and will occasionally get involved physically. Whether or not Smolenak is able to continue to build on his improved consistency will play an integral role in his adjustment to the professional level.

Let's hope Abdelkader turns into a good one 'cause we passed on Guillaume Latendresse over for him! :sly:

We passed on a physical winger with top six potential who is from Quebec...for a physical winger with top six potential who is from Michigan.

Where is the problem?

We passed on a physical winger with top six potential who is from Quebec...for a physical winger with top six potential who is from Michigan.

Where is the problem?

one's playing in the nhl, one's still a few years from it. not trying to be a but, just saying i think that's the major sticking point of a lot of people on this kid.

Edited by theman19

Where is the problem?

Latendresse is rated as an 8.5 on Hockey's Future, while Abdelkader is at 6.0.

Abdelkader was taken with pick 42 in the 2005 draft, Latendresse with pick 45.

Abdelkader is a few years off playing in the NHL, Latendresse has already played 5 NHL games.

latendresse will be a first line player where as abdelkader may not make the wings. but you cant say that a guy is a bad pick just because he was taken before someone who is better. montreal has a better look at him too being in quebec.

Latendresse is rated as an 8.5 on Hockey's Future, while Abdelkader is at 6.0.

I find it amusing they reranked Latendresse after he had made his NHL debut.

A week before the seaosn started, Latendresse was a 7.5C (the same rating as Kopecky) and Abdelkader was a 7.0B.

BTW...Latendresse has scored no goals, no assists, and is a -2 in six games.

Compare with the more versatile Kopecky and the more skilled Hudler, who each have a goal and are +1 in only 4 games each.

I find it amusing they reranked Latendresse after he had made his NHL debut.

A week before the seaosn started, Latendresse was a 7.5C (the same rating as Kopecky) and Abdelkader was a 7.0B.

BTW...Latendresse has scored no goals, no assists, and is a -2 in six games.

Compare with the more versatile Kopecky and the more skilled Hudler, who each have a goal and are +1 in only 4 games each.

Hudler & Kopecky have different styles then latendresse & latendresse is on the fourth line too , on a montreal team that hass a problem scoring anyway , hudler & kopecky have a shot at the top 2 lines if they perform like they have been , latendresse has a top at the 3rd line if he starts shooting

Abdelkader doubters are looking a little more foolish (I was one also). Some scout(X-Sharkie) from Mckeen's Scouting had a chance to take a look at him. He went on HF boards to give his impression, so here is the link.

"Justin Abdelkader (Det), F, Michigan State

Clearly the most gifted player on the ice all weekend .. centers the first line .. is an exceptional skater .. possesses a powerful, elegant stride which gives him a set of explosive first few strides, and while his top end gear isn't elite, it is very good .. has a very sizable frame, looks to have added both weight and height since last season .. handles the puck softly, possesses some shifty moves in the neutral zone thanks to his superb lateral bursts of speed .. has a long reach, which allows him to protect the puck well, is not a dangler, but is balanced and hard to knock off his feet or the puck .. is a threat to score and create .. his shooting arsenal is really begging to blossom .. has a quick release that generates plenty of power behind his shot, and he continues to get better at being able to pick corners .. can score from in tight and the outside, also has a strong one timer that is especially effective on the power play when he plays at the top of the slot .. a creative playmaker that sees the small lanes through the opposition's defense and can deliver a crisp pass .. developing a physical edge, uses his speed to close the gap instantly on the puck carrier quickly and finishes his checks with authority, finally starting to use his size by landing a few heavy checks throughout the weekend ..a fine two way player who plays on the first penalty kill unit, uses his speed to agitate the point men .. will block a shot and back checks hard .. above average in the face off circle, belongs at center .. had a strong freshman year and is poised to make himself one of the more well known names in college hockey this season, and is on the fast track to the pro game, has a little Jeff Carter in him."

if he does turn out to have a little Jeff Carter in himthen indeed we scored, sh*t if he ends up being nominated for the Hobey I'll still be stoked. Im just saying latendresse still looks better right now..

by the way Eva there is no way you can compare apples and oranges even in pie for (latendresse's NHL stats to Abdelkader's college) thats BS dude I really do expect smarter stuff from you. You've had some incredibly intellegent posts. Lets get a real debate going based off their skill. The Spartans are in college hockey, The Canadians are in the NHL. One is in his NHL rookie season one is not. Don't tell me you'd actually use the stats arguement to try and convice people who are really into hockey. Again lets actually look at the players. What sets Abdelkader aside from latendresse and latendresse from Adbelkader....(on that note I gotta get to bed for midterms...gimme a week or so and I;ll be back with my take. Woudl love to hear yours and others though!)