• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Seth @ December 31, 2005 - 05:22PM)
speaking of prospects...anybody have any updates on how Latendresse is doing?

He's being benched in the WJC due to his poor play and poor work habits, many Canadian fans who have been watching have been very dissapointed with his lack of good use of the ice time when he did get it.

He has time to turn it around and seems to have the skills, but as of right now it seems like he thinks he'll just coast onto the Habs roster next season and he isn't exactly encouraging anyone.
Moral victories are for losers.

#42 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Heaton @ January 3, 2006 - 12:14PM)
He's being benched in the WJC due to his poor play and poor work habits, many Canadian fans who have been watching have been very dissapointed with his lack of good use of the ice time when he did get it.

He has time to turn it around and seems to have the skills, but as of right now it seems like he thinks he'll just coast onto the Habs roster next season and he isn't exactly encouraging anyone.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say theses things. He destined for greatness don't you know. (sarcasm)

Yeah a big kid who can't skate and is lazy. Maybe Central Scouting was right to rank him 53rd or whatever last sping.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#43 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:23 PM

Heaton, Rick...wow...you guys dare go against the orthodoxy that says everything Holland does is s**t? That takes some balls.

I mean, how dare you think that the GM and the scouting department know more about a player than a bunch of keyboard jockeys who read a couple websites?

Personally, I feel really horrible for Abdelkader. I mean, the poor kid just wants to play hockey, but he's going to have to go through his entire career with NorrisNick judging his every move. I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I'd be able to handle that kind of pressue.

wink.gif

Edited by BlakChamber, 03 January 2006 - 01:24 PM.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#44 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ January 3, 2006 - 01:23PM)
Heaton, Rick...wow...you guys dare go against the orthodoxy that says everything Holland does is s**t? That takes some balls.

Someone has to do it. ph34r.gif

#45 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ January 3, 2006 - 12:23PM)
Personally, I feel really horrible for Abdelkader. I mean, the poor kid just wants to play hockey, but he's going to have to go through his entire career with NorrisNick judging his every move. I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I'd be able to handle that kind of pressue.

wink.gif

Few would. biggrin.gif

I like Abdelkader, just not his draft position.

peace

Posted Image

#46 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (rick zombo @ January 3, 2006 - 02:10PM)
Yeah a big kid who can't skate and is lazy. Maybe Central Scouting was right to rank him 53rd or whatever last sping.

I wasn't aware that the Wings' organization was run in accordance to what the CSS said. Andrew Cogliano was rated 63rd by Central Scouting and was taken in the first round, and has impressed many with his creative, determined and exciting play in the WJHC this year.

Ask Montreal fans if they're happy with the selection of Latendresse, and you'll get one big resounding "yes". Ask Wings fans if they're happy with the selection Abdelkader, and responses are mixed at best.

Personally, I do like Justin Abdelkader. He has a lot of heart and a decent amount of grit, but as NN alluded to, he just does not have the offensive talent to be taken high in the second round, especially at the expense of drafting what this organization really needs, which is a power-forward. After watching Calgary's defence absolutely man-handle the Wings' forwards last season, it is painfully obvious that Detroit could use an offensively gifted forward capable of smashing his way to the net. We better hope Grigorenko pans out...

#47 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ January 3, 2006 - 02:23PM)

I mean, how dare you think that the GM and the scouting department know more about a player than a bunch of keyboard jockeys who read a couple websites?

wink.gif

What crap!! Holland has deity status on this board, it's the ones who dare question his moves that get chastized. No one is saying that Abdelkader is going to suck, but why draft him so high? Especially when there were other players who had more of a complete package and could provide an element this franchise seems to ignore. Holland could've drafted Ladrondresse (sp) and waited to drat Abdelkader later, he'd have still been around, that's the point.

#48 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:43 PM

You don't know that for a fact, so the argument is moot.

Ask Montreal fans if they're happy with the selection of Latendresse, and you'll get one big resounding "yes". Ask Wings fans if they're happy with the selection Abdelkader, and responses are mixed at best.

Up until this point, yeah, but after the latest crap with him at the WJC's some fans are getting sick of his antics and wish that he'd straighten up and realize that he's not Sidney Crosby. But you're right, most Canadiens fans know more about Latendresse than Red Wings fans about Abdelkader.

Edited by Heaton, 03 January 2006 - 06:43 PM.

#49 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:59 AM

Abdelkader had a goal and an assist in two games against Wayne State this weekend.

Edited by BlakChamber, 08 January 2006 - 10:59 AM.

#50 EstonianWingsFan#1

EstonianWingsFan#1

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

Just calm down guys, it's way too early. Just like our francise players Zetterberg and Datsyuk were drafted in the late rounds, no-one even talked about them, just let him play and we will see because 2005 draft is over. Helm was picked in the 5th round 2005, right now he is 4th in WHL scoring on a same level that Setoguchi who was taken in the 1st by San Jose. Some guys improve their play quicker than the others. I'm not saying I think it was our best 2nd round choice, but it's done and all we can do is to wait and see.

#51 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

Abdelkader had a goal and an assist in the Spartans sweep of UAF. He's back playing on the all freshman line with Kennedy and Crowder. From what I read, they played really well this weekend.

#52 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:32 PM

Abdelkader now has 19 points in 33 games, 9 goals and 10 assists. The freshman line of Abdelkader-Kennedy-Crowder has been called one of the best in the CCHA.

Keep up the good work thumbup.gif

#53 fightfan24

fightfan24

Enforcer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:13 PM

I've seen a few MSU games and he is pretty complete out there -- he has some offense, plays sound D and can play the corners well. We have three (or less) years to bring him in too. Looks like he may end up a good pick after all.

#54 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:33 PM

I'm hoping he'll stay for all 4 years. MSU hasn't had a huge problem with their hockey players leaving early, unlike Izzo and the basketball program. Miller did a few years ago, but he played for 3 years. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Comley seems to finally have the team going in the direction he wants, so the Spartans could go back to being a top team.

Of course, there was the whole incident with AJ Thelen last year leaving early, but that was different.

Edited by BlakChamber, 13 February 2006 - 12:34 PM.

#55 paul woods fan club

paul woods fan club

Rookie

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:25 AM

ive seen abdelkader on several msu broadcast this year and he looks great to me for a freshman . im guessing hes around 200 lbs which makes it impressive to skate so well , plus has very good vision/smartness making excellent passes , also seems rugged and looks to have goal scorers instincts . hes the kind of player i look at and say possible superstar when matures .

#56 Mule39

Mule39

Rookie

• Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

He needs to stay 4 years so he can mature mentally and physically. He can gain leadership ability while at MSU. If for some reason he left a year or 2 early I think he'd still need a year or 2 in Grand Rapids. I do like what i've seen so far.

#57 snapshots

snapshots

Rookie

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (BlakChamber @ February 13, 2006 - 01:33PM)
I'm hoping he'll stay for all 4 years. MSU hasn't had a huge problem with their hockey players leaving early, unlike Izzo and the basketball program. Miller did a few years ago, but he played for 3 years. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Comley seems to finally have the team going in the direction he wants, so the Spartans could go back to being a top team.

Of course, there was the whole incident with AJ Thelen last year leaving early, but that was different.

Superstar?
Hell no.
If we're lucky, he'll pan out as a decent second liner or a good third liner with some offensive pop.
I agree that he's sort of physical and that he has skills.
But he's nowhere near superstar material

#58 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:07 AM

Abdelkader had a goal in the CCHA championship tonight against Miami.

#59 Mule39

Mule39

Rookie

• Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (snapshots @ March 17, 2006 - 09:22PM)
QUOTE (BlakChamber @ February 13, 2006 - 01:33PM)
I'm hoping he'll stay for all 4 years.  MSU hasn't had a huge problem with their hockey players leaving early, unlike Izzo and the basketball program.  Miller did a few years ago, but he played for 3 years.  That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  Comley seems to finally have the team going in the direction he wants, so the Spartans could go back to being a top team.

Superstar?
Hell no.
If we're lucky, he'll pan out as a decent second liner or a good third liner with some offensive pop.
I agree that he's sort of physical and that he has skills.
But he's nowhere near superstar material

Not now he's not. No one expects him to be a superstar less then a year after he's drafted. We'll see where he's at in 3 years.He'll most likely still need a year in the minors. The best thing for him to do is work on his skills and get stronger.

#60 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

With the Spartans loss to Maine on Sunday, their season is over.

Abdelkader ended up with 10 goals and 12 assists for 22 points in 44 games as a freshman. That put him 9th on the team in scoring and 2nd for freshmen. He was tied for 3rd on the team with 7 PPGs.