160 replies to this topic

#121 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

^^^
Scouting reports also said Boyd Deveraux was the next Steve Yzerman.

Two questions for you, Dominator.

1: Have you even seen Abdelkader play?

2: Don't you think it might be a good idea to wait until he gets to the NHL before writing him off?

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#122 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ November 23, 2006 - 08:01PM) View Post

^^^

Two questions for you, Dominator.

1: Have you even seen Abdelkader play?

2: Don't you think it might be a good idea to wait until he gets to the NHL before writing him off?

1: No - have you ever seen Latendresse before this season???

2: You already wrote off Latendresse who is in the NHL???

Who is using CSS rankings to compare these two players?!?!?!?
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#123 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Dominator2005 @ November 24, 2006 - 07:33AM) View Post

Who is using CSS rankings to compare these two players?!?!?!?

The CSS rankings were brought up as an example of why Abdelkader might have been viewed as a better pick than Latendresse. Not as comparison of their actual potential, but as a comparison of how highly they were thought of at draft time.

Plus, as for the quote from RWC...

RWC ranks Abdelkader ahead of Kopecky...and everyone on here is absolutely gushing about Kopecky this season, even though a year ago I was the only person on LGW who thought resigning him was a good idea.

So which is it? Is Abdelkader a third linder, or is he a better prospect than Kopecky? He's also ranked above McGrath, Ryno, and Bootland. In fact, the only prospect forward ranked ahead of him that isn't on the team is Grigorenko, who is the top prospect on RWC. Hudler and Filppula are also ranked above him.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#124 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(eva unit zero @ November 24, 2006 - 09:57AM) View Post

The CSS rankings were brought up as an example of why Abdelkader might have been viewed as a better pick than Latendresse. Not as comparison of their actual potential, but as a comparison of how highly they were thought of at draft time.

Plus, as for the quote from RWC...

RWC ranks Abdelkader ahead of Kopecky...and everyone on here is absolutely gushing about Kopecky this season, even though a year ago I was the only person on LGW who thought resigning him was a good idea.

So which is it? Is Abdelkader a third linder, or is he a better prospect than Kopecky? He's also ranked above McGrath, Ryno, and Bootland. In fact, the only prospect forward ranked ahead of him that isn't on the team is Grigorenko, who is the top prospect on RWC. Hudler and Filppula are also ranked above him.

Prospect Ranking (last update June 7, 2006)
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#125 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(Dominator2005 @ November 24, 2006 - 06:33AM) View Post

No. I haven't. I actually haven't seen him play at all. But that's not the point, because...I haven't written off Latendresse. See, unlike you, I try to A) actually see the player play before I write them off, and B) think that it might be a good idea to wait and see how a player does in the NHL, before trying to guess what kind of NHL career he's going to have.

I'll admit, I'm biased toward Abdelkader because he's a fellow Spartan. But, if you go back and read this thread, you can't quote one post where I say he's better than Latendresse or write Latendresse off. I may have poked fun at the armchair GM"s who think they know more than Holland and the scouting department, but tha'ts it.

And by the way, you've never answered my question, even though I've asked a couple times. You've said a few times that Abdelkader won't make the NHL or is a long shot, at best. What are you basing that on?

#126 al48

al48

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:33 AM

I got to watch the Spartans/Wolverines game on tv the other night. When I turned the game on, midway into the Second, a play was developing for the Spartans, and I saw this one kid zooming down the ice, and I said to myself "who the hell is that?" It was Abdelkader. The kid is just all over the ice and is balls to the wall fast. Granted, that just might be his present company, but he immediately stood out to me. He took a couple of poor hooking penalties one of which was a little questionable. I can't speak for offensive talent, because the Spartans didn't have that type of game that night, but I will say he makes his presence known and is all over the ice.

Edited by al48, 25 November 2006 - 10:34 AM.

"I've been liquored up for 17 years. My judgement's not what it once was"

#127 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:46 PM

Spartans vs Gophers rematch tonight. Caught the first game. Abdelkader looked good, don't get me wrong he had a great game. I'm pretty confident we've got a decent 3rd liner on our future hands. I'd still take the frenchman whose playing 1st line in the NHL right now but thats besides the point. We got what we got and what we got ain't bad. Sadly I will be rooting for the Gophers tonight as Wheeler is the sheeet.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#128 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(Seth @ November 25, 2006 - 07:46PM) View Post
Spartans vs Gophers rematch tonight. Caught the first game. Abdelkader looked good, don't get me wrong he had a great game. I'm pretty confident we've got a decent 3rd liner on our future hands. I'd still take the frenchman whose playing 1st line in the NHL right now but thats besides the point. We got what we got and what we got ain't bad. Sadly I will be rooting for the Gophers tonight as Wheeler is the sheeet.

Would you take Samuelsson over Latendresse?

Samuelsson has been an NHL first liner for over a year now.

#129 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

my bad it was the wolverines vs gophers....2-8 blow out hot damn! Wheeler looked awesome.

Great comparison eva...you keep makin analogies like that fine, enjoy. I can see logic will not take place here so Im dropping it.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#130 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE(Seth @ November 25, 2006 - 10:45PM) View Post
my bad it was the wolverines vs gophers....2-8 blow out hot damn! Wheeler looked awesome.

Great comparison eva...you keep makin analogies like that fine, enjoy. I can see logic will not take place here so Im dropping it.

All I did was use your line of reasoning with two different players.

Your reaction was exactly what I expected. Inconsistent with the original post.

How about we give Abdelkader a shot in the NHL before judging him as an inferior prospect?

The guy wants to finish school. That doesn't make him a worse hockey player.

#131 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

Abdelkader named to Team USA for the World Junior Championship.

http://www.statenews....phtml?pk=39055

Good job smile.gif

#132 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:12 PM

^Excellent news! I'll be there to "scout" him.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#133 asmith18

asmith18

Grinder

• Gold Booster
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ December 7, 2006 - 11:15AM) View Post

Abdelkader named to Team USA for the World Junior Championship.

http://www.statenews....phtml?pk=39055

Good job smile.gif

Yeah I was reading that in the state news today. It'll help him out a lot.
GO MSU HOCKEY!!!
LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!

#134 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

Abdelkader netted the game winning goal for MSU against Northern tonight.

#135 hawkupaloogie

hawkupaloogie

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ December 9, 2006 - 12:18AM) View Post

Abdelkader netted the game winning goal for MSU against Northern tonight.

yeah, it was an empty netter. our defense pinched too far, and he popped out of the penalty box and had an easy shot (we were only down 2-1 at that point, the second northern goal came with 2 seconds left). question for those of you who have seen him play regularly. is he always so undisciplined? he took 4 different minor penalties tonight. he was also extremely emotional, constantly in the middle of scrums, complaining to refs, even yelling at fans from the box (although, i'll admit, some northern fans can be particularly mean to opposing players angel.gif ). i like the spirit, but he's gotta learn to control himself. he didn't really seem to be that much of an offensive threat, either, aside from the empty netter. i haven't seen him play before, though, so, i dunno if it was just an off night for him, or if he's always like that.
IPB Image

#136 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:17 AM

^^^
I had just taken a quick look at the box score and didn't catch that it was an empty netter.

And he's usually not an undisciplined guy, at least when I saw him play. If he can play at Yost and Cornell and not got rattled, he can play almost anywhere. Sounds like an off night for him.

#137 hawkupaloogie

hawkupaloogie

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ December 9, 2006 - 10:17AM) View Post

^^^
I had just taken a quick look at the box score and didn't catch that it was an empty netter.

And he's usually not an undisciplined guy, at least when I saw him play. If he can play at Yost and Cornell and not got rattled, he can play almost anywhere. Sounds like an off night for him.

make it an off weekend. he picked up 12 penalty minutes on saturday, a minor for holding, then a 10 minute misconduct for starting a fight with siddall during the handshake. maybe it's just a northern thing...we have that effect on state...
IPB Image

#138 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:52 PM

It wasn't that much of an effect, you guys still got swept wink.gif

#139 hawkupaloogie

hawkupaloogie

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:37 PM

i wasn't talking so much about winning the game as the frequency of chippy games between northern and state. for whatever reason, partially because the 'cats had something to prove to comley (not so much anymore as all his recruits have graduated), and partially because the 'cats are a defensive minded, hard hitting, in your face, annoying as all hell team to play, wildcat/spartan games are always a little heated. now, don't think you're special, this happens regularly with lssu, mtu, western, and uno, too.

as far as northern's record this year, i'm not expecting much. we lost 8 seniors including our top defensive pairing, 2 of our top scorers, our biggest, baddest hitter, and the two way foward with what was rumoured to be the hardest slapshot in the ccha (4 of those were nhl draft picks). there are gaps that just aren't filled this year. i'll be happy to see round 2 of the playoffs....and that makes me a sad panda
IPB Image

#140 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

He had a goal and an assist helping MSU win the national championship over BC 3-1.

Edited by Mighty Wings, 08 April 2007 - 12:07 AM.