• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Seth

Saber on the move,

Rate this topic

Through STR but from the Buffalo News: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051...013/1003083.asp

Mair's return to prompt roster move

By TIM GRAHAM

News Sports Reporter

10/13/2005

TAMPA, Fla. - It looks as though gritty Sabres forward Adam Mair will come off injured reserve and skate tonight against the Tampa Bay Lightning in the St. Pete Times Forum.

But the Sabres can't activate Mair until room is made on the roster.

Ruff indicated the Sabres would not clear a spot by trading one of their three goalies.

"That's probably not a question for me, but I don't anticipate it," Ruff said.

The coach was asked if a player would be waived to facilitate Mair's return from a groin injury suffered in the preseason.

"In all likelihood, yes," Ruff said. "Someone will have to go. That's a decision we'll have to make. We'd be over the roster if Adam comes off (IR). We'll have to make a move."

All signs point to defenseman Jeff Jillson being the one who gets waived. Jillson has been a healthy scratch all four games and is on a two-way contract, meaning he'll be paid a much lower salary than the $833,910 he's making with the Sabres if no other team picks him up and he gets assigned to Rochester.

Less likely candidates to be waived are goalie Mika Noronen and enforcer Andrew Peters.

Noronen has been a healthy scratch for every game, but he's too valuable to risk losing for nothing.

Peters' role has been greatly reduced, but he'll still be needed on occasion. Peters has been scratched once, and in the three games he has dressed he skated a total of 2:43.

Ruff also suggested goalie Ryan Miller would start both games of the Florida trip.

"Right now, I don't plan on changing," Ruff said.

The Sabres dressed seven defensemen in Monday night's overtime victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins, and Ruff said he might continue doing so at least until Dmitri Kalinin is back to full speed while recovering from his groin injury.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -

Jillson would be an awesome pick up for this club.

Jillson would be nice, but we don't really need any more puck-moving defensemen. I would rather get Peters, but as the article said, he's not likely to be waived.

Jillson would be a great pick up considering the disappointly play of Lilja and cut back on Chelli's minutes. Who would be sent down or cut for Jills.

Cleary is the only guy on a two-way deal on the roster other than Howard...Osgood is not ready to come back.

Lilja has been terrible so far. He'd probably be my pick to go.

But I don't see it happening.