• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

Michigan State Blame Game

Rate this topic

...simply, whom is to blame?

i think blame can be labeled on 3 key things:

#1 Coaches. Bad play calling and poor decisions have shown up in the Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame game. Starting with the Notre Dame game (Even tho they won the Notre Dame game), they blew a huge lead in the 2nd half and should have not even been playing in OT. The blocked field goal that ohio state scored on and the poor drive after the troy smith fumble, turned the game around completely. Michigan State also had tons of chances in the Michigan game to simply just drive the ball and kick a field goal to win. Unable to do that. The coaches get too conservative or try to think to much and forget to run plays that got them there. Coaches are too blame...why?...BECAUSE I SAID IT WAS LIKE THAT!!!!

#2 John Goss. Can Michigan State get anyone to simply just kick a field goal??? Blown 4 field goals in a row (even tho I don't really blame him on the blocked field goal at the end of the 1st half).

#3 The Revenge of the Grass (or artifical grass)!! Have you noticed that simply bad luck has happened to teams that go on the road and try to plant they flag in the home stadium's field of their opponents after a victory. Well, if they can remember if its grass or not. Michigan State lost 2 games after planting the flag into Notre Dame's lettuce and minnesota blew a game with a blocked punt after trying to plant a flag into michigan stadium's recycled rubber tires. Pure stupidity to any school that does that and I am happy that the Big Ten has banned it.

Anyway, just using this post to vent. The majority of the blame for me has to be on the coaches right now. The Ohio State offense gave michigan the ball 4 times and they couldn't seal that game away.

The coaching, the kicking game, and the defense cost us the game. But there were a lot of penalties that cost us today.

And Goss hasn't blown 4 in a row. He hit the FG in the second.

Really, there's enough blame to go around. Even Stanton made a couple dumb plays.

Edited by BlakChamber

In this order, I blame:

1. Michigan State's discipline, for a lot of costly penalties

2. Michigan State's secondary, for their poor coverage and piss-poor tackling

3. John L. Smith for always playing "not to lose", playing for 3 points instead of a touchdown (amazing considering how awful their kicker is) and for going away from the offense's strengths when trying to control the clock

4. Michigan State's coaching staff for sending the field goal unit onto the field in a panic instead of having Stanton spike the ball at the end of the first half

You figured Ohio State wasn't going to lose two in a row. That said, I thought the Spartans had a good chance. I knew things were looking bad when they looked to go up 20-7 at the half and the blocked kick came back to make it 17-14. I missed the second half.

As an outside observer, I would say that Smith is not a big game coach. Sure he beat Notre Dame, but I think he just got lucky on that one, considering how big of a lead they blew there. Still, 4-2 ain't so bad for the Spartans, as long as they don't fold and lose more games. They could still win the big ten and should go to a decent bowl game (barring a melt down).

You're MSU, you are NOT expected to win big games.

Thank you, Goodnight now

Bite me. MSU is 9-1 in its last 10 games against opponents ranked in the top ten. Name any other program in the country with that record.

Before this season started, I don't think anyone gave MSU a prayer against either UM or OSU. Instead they've played above expectations and made those games close. They've got some lighter opponents the next few weeks (Northwestern and Indiana at home, Purdue on the road). None of these are a sure thing (anyone can beat anyone in the Big 10 this season) but I like their chances. They could still contend for the Big 10 title or at least a decent bowl.

Make that three straight losses... Smith should be canned for today's effort alone. His team has some good talent, there's no excuse for that type of blowout - that's the coach's fault for being unprepared.

Michigan State hangs all of its energy on beating Michigan. Just because you lost that game doesn't mean the towel should be thrown in on the season. The Spartans could have easily gone on to beat OSU (they were ahead in that game) and contended for the Big Ten title. But it's like "oh no we lost to UM - season over"..... dry.gif

They blow their load on Michigan and have again crashed -- I feel bad for them and I am a Michigan grad... That was a crap job at home today...

I root for State unless playing Michigan and the collapse stinks.

Make that three straight losses... Smith should be canned for today's effort alone. His team has some good talent, there's no excuse for that type of blowout - that's the coach's fault for being unprepared.

Michigan State hangs all of its energy on beating Michigan. Just because you lost that game doesn't mean the towel should be thrown in on the season. The Spartans could have easily gone on to beat OSU (they were ahead in that game) and contended for the Big Ten title. But it's like "oh no we lost to UM - season over"..... dry.gif

didn't you watch the Ohio State game?? Michigan State was killing the buckeyes in the first half. The turning point for the Michigan State season was the blocked field goal at the end of that half that led to an ohio state touchdown.

Michigan State hangs all of its energy on beating Michigan. Just because you lost that game doesn't mean the towel should be thrown in on the season. The Spartans could have easily gone on to beat OSU (they were ahead in that game) and contended for the Big Ten title. But it's like "oh no we lost to UM - season over".....  dry.gif

didn't you watch the Ohio State game?? Michigan State was killing the buckeyes in the first half. The turning point for the Michigan State season was the blocked field goal at the end of that half that led to an ohio state touchdown.

Yup I saw most of the game. "Was killing" OSU doesn't get you a win - just because of the botched field goal doesn't mean they should fall apart either - they were still up 17-14 at the half. Michigan was outplaying both Wisconsin and Minnesota and still lost. My point is I put alot of the "blame game" on Smith for not keeping his team focused and prepared.....

Dang, what happened to all of the State fans around here....? lookaround.gif

(it's not that bad - you still have the same record as Michigan you know...)

yeah but both teams are going in different directions. Michigan can't lose now and State can't win. This ship has sunk for the spartans. Always next year.

Dang, what happened to all of the State fans around here....? lookaround.gif

I think we're all a little shell shocked after that f@cking Northwestern game. I haven't given up hope, though. I'll be at the MSU-Indiana game Saturday and they take on 2-5 Purdue the following week.

Both teams need to win one more game to be bowl eligible. Michigan could easily lose on Saturday.

Sure it could be the "toilet bowl", but at least for UM, beating a mediocre team in a sub-par bowl would actually be a good thing after getting beat by two top tier teams the past two years...

For MSU, just getting back into the bowl scene will be a good start.

I'm still here, and bleeding green.

MSU has the talent to win out and finish 8-3. I don't know if they have the heart though. I'm thinking we could win the next three, then get blown out by Penn State to end the season, finishing at 7-4.