• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Stefan Liv

Rate this topic

"Goaltender Stefan Liv (HV-71, Swedish Elite League) has the best goals-against average (1.29) and save percentage (.948) in Sweden and has been sharp in the early going ..."

Looking through his career statistics it appars that he has been very solid. Judging by the stats that he is producing this season, do you feel that he will ever be a goaltender for the Wings? Will we release him, or trade him?

Any thoughts?

I think it was a mistake to not sign him after that great final he had for HV-71.

I think he will be signed come deadline day next summer, and he and Howard will be the backup goaltender in Detroit and the starter in Grand Rapids.

Edited by eva unit zero

I'd like to see Howard and Liv next year in GR... Osgood and Legace in Detroit for one more and then replace one goalie in Detroit with the emerging best from GR. I'm not ready to write off Liv yet, but think Howard is definitely the real deal.

Liv is off to a great start this year, which historically means he will suck next season...

I happened to catch an interview with him a few months ago, in which he said that he's in better shape now than ever before. He also said that Detroit is his favorite team in the NHL and that it's still a dream of his to play in the NHL.

He must secure a top three spot on the Swedish Olympic team and earn the starting job (depending on Lundquist and the Rangers) at the World Championships later on to even get a shot at a contract with the Red Wings IMO. He's getting up there in age and Howard is simply a much better prospect. Frankly, McDonald is probably more suited for the NHL as well.

Liv would have had a strong year last year but the lockout and his team's actions screwed him.

He was playing on basically a minor league team against teams that had two lines of NHLers and NHL defensemen.

HV-71 brought in Brian Boucher at one point--He did FAR worse than Liv with the same personnel.

Liv should be on the Olympic team...Lundqvist is the only guy who would be ahead of him for the job. If he keeps this up--and he will--then he's basically guaranteed a spot. If the Rangers make the playoffs, Liv should have the starting job for the WC locked up.

The only other Swedish goalies who might get consideration:

Mikael Tellqvist

Johan Hedberg

Tommy Salo

Daniel Henriksson

Johan Holmqvist

Liv is better than all those guys.

Liv would have had a strong year last year but the lockout and his team's actions screwed him.

He was playing on basically a minor league team against teams that had two lines of NHLers and NHL defensemen.

HV-71 brought in Brian Boucher at one point--He did FAR worse than Liv with the same personnel.

Liv should be on the Olympic team...Lundqvist is the only guy who would be ahead of him for the job. If he keeps this up--and he will--then he's basically guaranteed a spot. If the Rangers make the playoffs, Liv should have the starting job for the WC locked up.

The only other Swedish goalies who might get consideration:

Mikael Tellqvist

Johan Hedberg

Tommy Salo

Daniel Henriksson

Johan Holmqvist

Liv is better than all those guys.

Lundquist will be the starter. Tellquist is ranked ahead of Liv and last year so was Holmquist. Regarding the WC it all depends on if the Rangers make the playoffs or not. I'd say not, since the Rangers is pretty much a one line team bound to run out of gas.

Also, Boucher like most NHL goalies weren't used to the large ice surfaces in Europe. It's quite possible that Liv would struggle just as much with the smaller ice surfaces in Northamerica.

Lundquist will be the starter. Tellquist is ranked ahead of Liv and last year so was Holmquist. Regarding the WC it all depends on if the Rangers make the playoffs or not. I'd say not, since the Rangers is pretty much a one line team bound to run out of gas.

Also, Boucher like most NHL goalies weren't used to the large ice surfaces in Europe. It's quite possible that Liv would struggle just as much with the smaller ice surfaces in Northamerica.

With the year he's having it'll be hard to keep Liv off the roster. Particularly if Tellquist isn't going to get many games playing behind Belfour.

It didn't hamper Lundquist much. Might it be easier to go from larger rinks to smaller rinks as a goalie? Less shooting angles one has to cover.

peace

With the year he's having it'll be hard to keep Liv off the roster. Particularly if Tellquist isn't going to get many games playing behind Belfour.

It didn't hamper Lundquist much. Might it be easier to go from larger rinks to smaller rinks as a goalie? Less shooting angles one has to cover.

peace

Everybody knew Lundquist would make the transition well. He's a strong positional goalie. Liv is not, he's more of a reflex goalie. I don't think the Northamerican game is easier on the goalie at all, on the contrary the game is much much faster with more shots etc. Point being, the transitional period for goalies vary depending on style, but goalies are forced to adapt no matter which way they travel across the pond. Theodore handled it nicely, Boucher did not. Lundquist did, but will Liv?

Tellquist will probably be ranked ahead of Liv due to his experience. Liv has a good shot at the third spot though.

Its an interesting proposition, that the Wings could have Howard and Liv in goal next season.

It's a stupid proposition. Howard needs at least another year in the AHL, and Liv is inconsistent. Next year, Detroit needs to have an experienced NHL goalie on their roster. Liv could back him up maybe.

It's a stupid proposition. Howard needs at least another year in the AHL, and Liv is inconsistent. Next year, Detroit needs to have an experienced NHL goalie on their roster. Liv could back him up maybe.

Absolutely....with a contending team like the Wings, you don't need to be rolling the dice on untried talent. Legace and/or Osgood will be around a while. Bring Howard and Liv along slowly but surely. I wonder, though, if drafting Howard when they did means the Wings' focus is moving away from Liv? I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Wings cut Liv loose, especially if Howard impresses them.

Absolutely....with a contending team like the Wings, you don't need to be rolling the dice on untried talent. Legace and/or Osgood will be around a while. Bring Howard and Liv along slowly but surely. I wonder, though, if drafting Howard when they did means the Wings' focus is moving away from Liv? I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Wings cut Liv loose, especially if Howard impresses them.

If by cutting loose you mean trade for a pretty package, perhaps. I believe the huge start Lundquist has had along with Liv's huge numbers may be pumping up his trade value if it comes to it (The SEL association with a somewhat older rookie stepping from one league to the next). He had an off year last season, but the year before won the SEL championship. If we could hang on to both Liv and Howard I'd rather see which one takes the bigger next step rather than gambling before we know what we have.

peace

If by cutting loose you mean trade for a pretty package, perhaps. I believe the huge start Lundquist has had along with Liv's huge numbers may be pumping up his trade value if it comes to it (The SEL association with a somewhat older rookie stepping from one league to the next). He had an off year last season, but the year before won the SEL championship. If we could hang on to both Liv and Howard I'd rather see which one takes the bigger next step rather than gambling before we know what we have.

peace

historically we'd trade a guy like liv to address one of our problems at the deadline. i'd like to see us get a somewhat proven but currently struggling power forward. Time will tell.

meh I doubt a power forawrd thats not Holland Co. MO.

I'm sure if it was a pressing need he'd get us one, like last year when we could use another right handed center and he picked up Lang, or this year when we needed more speed and he picked up Cleary ect..

A power foward would be fantastic, but it's not a pressing need yet.

peace

I just took the drafting of Howard as a sign that the Wings were starting to sour on Liv just a little. Could also be the can-never-have-too-many-goalies syndrome, but then, Howard has moved quickly up the ranks, and the Wings haven't been in a big hurry to sign Liv. Trade bait? Sure, why not. Liv will be 25 this year, however, and for an unsigned prospect, is getting up there in years.

I just took the drafting of Howard as a sign that the Wings were starting to sour on Liv just a little. Could also be the can-never-have-too-many-goalies syndrome, but then, Howard has moved quickly up the ranks, and the Wings haven't been in a big hurry to sign Liv. Trade bait? Sure, why not. Liv will be 25 this year, however, and for an unsigned prospect, is getting up there in years.

From what I understand Jimmy was a BPA (best player available) when drafted.

Yeah, we likely wouldn't get too much outta him since he'll be UFA in two years (or two months if we can't get him signed). We'll see what they do and who stays and who goes.

peace

the will not let go both goalies that is asking for trouble

Are you crazy???

probably keep Manny and get a younger goalie than in two years Manny gone than another new goalie will probably come in.

that makes more sense to me

like baby steps to take over the cease

Liv will have a hard time coming here I think to much talent they will let him go

I'm sure if it was a pressing need he'd get us one, like last year when we could use another right handed center and he picked up Lang, or this year when we needed more speed and he picked up Cleary ect..

you speak of things you do not know my friend. Holland would not.

you speak of things you do not know my friend. Holland would not.

I'm pretty sure he would, just because he hasn't in the past doesn't mean he won't ever do it. I guarntee if we were getting run all day every game something would have to happen to prevent that. We're getting outhit on most nights but our scoring and talent have pretty much made any enforcer playing us obsolete at the moment.