• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsownNHL

Jakub Kindl and Evan McGrath

Rate this topic

I have a friend in Saginaw and i went there with him to see the Spirit play the Rangers just so i could get a preview of these guys.

Kindl- He looks to be a solid defenseman. He had a goal that just made me say wow. He was on a rush and was just at the top of the right circle and he fired a one timer off balance and scored. Kindl has a nice shot, he plays physical, has good angles, good size, decent speed. However i did notice he isnt the best of skaters. He kind of looks a little awkard when hes skating. Also probably not his fault but on powerplays he had plenty of oppurtunities to let his shot go from the point but he kept passing it away.

McGrath- Evan is a heck of a player at the OHL level. I dont know if that means he will be a good NHL player but i could see him making a similar impact to michael richards in philly. McGrath is a great passer. he set Kitchener teammates up with great oppurtunities about a half dozen times. McGrath is really fast and he made some Datsyuk like moves. One time he was on a 1 on 2 and amazingly danced around them. He also got on an all out break-a-way but missed, and another partial break-a-way and missed as well. McGrath has to be in some amazing shape because he is litteraly out there more than half the time. Hes a great skater and i am very excited to have this kid.

Two good prospects -- Kindl has a ton of potential and many NHL teams are already kicking themselves about McGrath who looks like a poor mans Yzerman. A second line (maybe 1 in time) center within a few years. Outside of rugged players I cannot complain about how the picks have gone (especially how late we have been picking).

i don't see how everyone says our farm system is so bad with guys like hudler and mcGrath tearing up there leagues. Sure we don't have alot of size but i don't think where going to hurt for scoring centers for a while to come.

i don't see how everyone says our farm system is so bad with guys like hudler and mcGrath tearing up there leagues. Sure we don't have alot of size but i don't think where going to hurt for scoring centers for a while to come.

You have to compare our prospects to other team's prospects, only then do you realize Detroit's prospects are not near the top of the league.

You have to compare our prospects to other team's prospects, only then do you realize Detroit's prospects are not near the top of the league.

yeah hudler's only leading destroying the ahl almost every game he plays in i'm sure lots of teams have players like him. Plus almost everyteam has a goalie like howard that set records in his leauge for his incredible play. I know for a fact every team also has a defensive prospect like kronwall who won ahl defencemen of the year award,...

sarcasm off

Just because we dont' have size or a power foward doesn't mean this team doesn't have some incredible prospects on there hands. I know there are teams with better prospects (carolina with Ladd and Johnson if he ever plays) minn. the habs,...but to say where not in the top ten is underjudging our talent.

yeah hudler's only leading destroying the ahl almost every game he plays in i'm sure lots of teams have players like him. Plus almost everyteam has a goalie like howard that set records in his leauge for his incredible play. I know for a fact every team also has a defensive prospect like kronwall who won ahl defencemen of the year award,...

sarcasm off

Just because we dont' have size or a power foward doesn't mean this team doesn't have some incredible prospects on there hands. I know there are teams with better prospects (carolina with Ladd and Johnson if he ever plays) minn. the habs,...but to say where not in the top ten is underjudging our talent.

Yes, but our top prospects are still playing in the AHL, OHL, Sweden, etc, while those teams that are considered to have the best prospects already have them with the big club.

sarcasm off

Yes, but our top prospects are still playing in the AHL, OHL, Sweden, etc, while those teams that are considered to have the best prospects already have them with the big club.

good call, but all that says is we have a better team now and don't have a roster spot for them. So my question is if hudler, kronwall (if he wasn't hurt) and howard we're all doing well and playing on our team would we have better prospects?

sarcasm off

We ARE NOT in the top ten.

TOP 20, maybe.

We don't have any superstar potential guys like Malkin or Ovechkin.

We don't have the second tier stars like Ryan or Jack Johnson.

Our best guys (Kronwall and Grigorenko) are getting a bit old to be called prospects anymore.

Others like Hudler and McGrath aren't can't miss players, despite some tantalizing potential.

After Kronwall, our defensive depth in the system is weak. Quincy and Lebda have their strengths, but they have shortcomings as well.

Detroit's prospect system is doing pretty well, considering how many 1st rounders we've traded and how low we usually pick.

But calling it a top 10 system is plain inaccurate.

What the Wings really need is for some of those "project" picks to pan out. Guys like Jonathon Ericsson, Anton Axelsson, Andreas Jamtin and Christofer Lofberg.

We can't wait until these guys are 22 any more.

Edited by snapshots

sarcasm off

TOP 20, maybe.

Our best guys (Kronwall and Grigorenko) are getting a bit old to be called prospects anymore.

Others like Hudler and McGrath aren't can't miss players, despite some tantalizing potential.

After Kronwall, our defensive depth in the system is weak. Quincy and Lebda have their strengths, but they have shortcomings as well.

Detroit's prospect system is doing pretty well, considering how many 1st rounders we've traded and how low we usually pick.

What the Wings really need is for some of those "project" picks to pan out. Guys like Jonathon Ericsson, Anton Axelsson, Andreas Jamtin and Christofer Lofberg.

As usual, reality-based and well-stated, snapshots.

sarcasm off

TOP 20, maybe.

I think it would be absolutely ridiculous to call Detroit's prospect pool among the top ten in the league and, IMO, top twenty is pushing it. But the Wings are certainly one of the best organizations when it comes to supplying the roster with a young player that is eager to contribute to the team and help address a need. Take this year for example; the Wings needed a little bit of size, grit and skating ability, and Franzen comes in and fills this void quite nicely. In years past, guys like Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Fischer have come in to help address a weakness on Detroit's roster, and have not looked out of place.

You are, for the most part, correct on your assessment of Detroit's group of prospects. There are very few players within the organization that possess super-star potential, and most of the ones that do (like Hudler and Kronwall) are under-sized. There's no telling whether Grigorenko can come over and become what he was supposed to be.

Kindl needs to pan out for us, as defensive depth is indeed a major concern for this team. Guys like Lebda and Quincey are pretty solid prospects, but I don't see them on the top defensive pairing in the future. Jakub certainly has the tools to be an impact player in the NHL, but his adjustment to the North American game has come along awfully slowly.

sarcasm off

TOP 20, maybe.

Anton Axelsson could be the one.

Let's take a look at this. Take a team's prospects list (from HF, for example) and remove any players who are on the roster right now. For the sake of using a neutral evaluator, I'll use the Hockeysfuture rankings for player and team. Let's compare the HF 'top five' teams by their top six forwards, four defensemen, and goaltender according to their 'overall' list using the prospect guideline I laid down.

Detroit

F: Grigorenko 8.5C, Hudler 7.5B, Filppula 7.5B, McGrath 7.0C, Jamtin 6.5B, Ellis 6.0B

D: Kronwall 8.5B, Kindl 7.0C, Quincey 7.0C, Blatak 7.0C

G: Howard 7.5B

Washington

F: Semin 8.5A, Fehr 7.5B, Klepis 7.0C, Bourque 7.0C, Johansson 6.5C, Aulin 7.0C

D: Schultz 6.5B, Pokuluk 6.0B, Finley 6.0C, Lepisto 6.0B

G: Daigneault 6.5B

Pittsburgh

F: Malkin 9.0C, Armstrong 6.0A, Salmonsson 7.5C, Anshakov 7.0B, Ouellet 7.0B, Stone 6.5C

D: Whitney 8.0B, Welch 7.0B, Goglioski 7.0C, Bissonette 7.0C

G: Chiodo 6.5B

Chicago

F: Yakubov 7.0D, Keith 6.5C, Nordqvist 6.0C, Fraser 6.0C, Bickell 6.0C, Sindel 7.0D

D: Barker 8.0B, Babchuk 8.0C, Barinka 6.0B, Wiesniewski 6.5C

G: Crawford 8.0B

Montreal

F: Kostitsyn 8.5B, Latendresse 7.5D, Chipchura 6.5B, Locke 7.0D, Mikus 6.5C, Grabovsky 7.0C

D: O'Byrne 6.5B, Korpikari 6.5B, Korneev 6.5C, Archer 5.5B

G: Price 8.0C

Nashville

F:Radulov 8.0C, Glazachev 7.0B, Shishkanov 7.0C, Setzinger 6.0B, Soin 6.0C, Shafigulin 6.0C

D:Weber 8.0B, Klein 7.0A, Kulyash 7.0B, Sulzer 6.0C

G:Lassila 7.0B

Detroit CLEARLY outclasses Nashville and Washington. Montreal is extremely weak on defense and worse up front than Detroit, Chicago is thin up front and has nothing on D past the top two, neither of which are as good as Kronwall. Outside of Malkin, Pens don't beat Detroit at anything.

Is Malkin really that good? Are Babchuk and Barker enough to offset Grigorenko, Kronwall, Hudler, Filppula? Is Carey Price good enough to offset what Montreal lacks in skaters? Nashville has no advantages over Detroit and Washington has Semin and Fehr up front and almost nothing after that ANYWHERE.

These teams were ranked by hockeysfuture as the top five teams for prospects. Yet Detroit stacks up very nicely to all of them.

sarcasm off

TOP 20, maybe.

Anton Axelsson could be the one.

Yeah, his offense has been good and he's got defensive upside as well.

I'd hoped Jamtin might be the guy, but it looks like Axelsson might be another late round gem.

Let's take a look at this. Take a team's prospects list (from HF, for example) and remove any players who are on the roster right now. For the sake of using a neutral evaluator, I'll use the Hockeysfuture rankings for player and team. Let's compare the HF 'top five' teams by their top six forwards, four defensemen, and goaltender according to their 'overall' list using the prospect guideline I laid down.

Detroit

F: Grigorenko 8.5C, Hudler 7.5B, Filppula 7.5B, McGrath 7.0C, Jamtin 6.5B, Ellis 6.0B

Washington

Pittsburgh

F: Malkin 9.0C, Armstrong 6.0A, Salmonsson 7.5C, Anshakov 7.0B, Ouellet 7.0B, Stone 6.5C

Chicago

F: Yakubov 7.0D, Keith 6.5C, Nordqvist 6.0C, Fraser 6.0C, Bickell 6.0C, Sindel 7.0D

Montreal

F: Kostitsyn 8.5B, Latendresse 7.5D, Chipchura 6.5B, Locke 7.0D, Mikus 6.5C, Grabovsky 7.0C

Nashville

F:Radulov 8.0C, Glazachev 7.0B, Shishkanov 7.0C, Setzinger 6.0B, Soin 6.0C, Shafigulin 6.0C

Detroit CLEARLY outclasses Nashville and Washington. Montreal is extremely weak on defense and worse up front than Detroit, Chicago is thin up front and has nothing on D past the top two, neither of which are as good as Kronwall. Outside of Malkin, Pens don't beat Detroit at anything.

Is Malkin really that good? Are Babchuk and Barker enough to offset Grigorenko, Kronwall, Hudler, Filppula? Is Carey Price good enough to offset what Montreal lacks in skaters? Nashville has no advantages over Detroit and Washington has Semin and Fehr up front and almost nothing after that ANYWHERE.

These teams were ranked by hockeysfuture as the top five teams for prospects. Yet Detroit stacks up very nicely to all of them.

If you love HF ratings sooo much, really, then where does HF rank the Wings as an organizaiton?

Let me tell you: 25th.

Problem with comparing the Wings top guys with other teams top guys is that each writer interprets the ratings a bit different.

And not every writer has the same ability to cast aside the home team biases.

25th sounds about right, given when this thing was writtem//

But we've seen lots of good things out of Grigorenko, Hudler, Helm, May and others since this was written.

Well, to get this thread back on track, I thought I might mention that Kindl and McGrath had a fairly productive game today. Kindl nabbed two assists, and McGrath got another goal in a 4-2 loss against the Guelph Storm this afternoon.

Detroit

Washington

Pittsburgh

Chicago

Montreal

Nashville

If you love HF ratings sooo much, really, then where does HF rank the Wings as an organizaiton?

Let me tell you: 25th.

Problem with comparing the Wings top guys with other teams top guys is that each writer interprets the ratings a bit different.

And not every writer has the same ability to cast aside the home team biases.

25th sounds about right, given when this thing was writtem//

But we've seen lots of good things out of Grigorenko, Hudler, Helm, May and others since this was written.

And the other five teams I mentioned were ranked 1,2,3,4,5 by HF.

Yet according to HF's own player ratings, Detroit stacks up very wll to them.

Makes you wonder if Detroit is not ranked low just because they were just used to ranking the Wings low?

Makes you wonder if Detroit is not ranked low just because they were just used to ranking the Wings low?

No. It makes YOU wonder.

Not me.

Detroit doesn't have anywhere near the depth or star quality of any of those teams you compared to them.

No. It makes YOU wonder.

Not me.

Detroit doesn't have anywhere near the depth or star quality of any of those teams you compared to them.

That and all of those teams' best prospects are currently in the NHL because that's where good prospects go. HF ranked them including players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Eminger, Fleury, Seabrook, Perezhogin, etc...

Had injuries not delayed Grigorenko and Kronwall we'd be awfully thin.

peace

No. It makes YOU wonder.

Not me.

ya just if that was true. you know since most of the teams he compared them to are just setting the league on fire. laugh.gif

(sarcasm)

No. It makes YOU wonder.

Not me.

ya just if that was true. you know since most of the teams he compared them to are just setting the league on fire. laugh.gif

(sarcasm)

We're talking about prospect systems, right?

No. It makes YOU wonder.

Not me.

(sarcasm)

We're talking about prospect systems, right?

Yes, prospect systems.

Not individual prospects.