• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Detroit Pistons Season Thread

Rate this topic

Damn - why couldn't we have smoked them like that just one more time last June????

Because they were completely worn out by the time they faced the Spurs. They had to endure the brawl, the Larry Brown sagas - including his health problems and the reports of him coaching other teams and the fact that they had to play all out defense almost all the time for 82 games plus the playoffs. They had to do that because they couldn't score points the way they can now. And Brown wouldn't use the bench, so the starters all played too many minutes.

This Pistons team is pacing itself. They get outrebounded, outscored in the paint and rely on mostly jump shots in every game, but still win. They don't play that tough inside most games, but still win. Because they're getting easy baskets, they can get away with that and save the wear and tear. But look at what happens in games they take seriously: They still can play amazing defense, dominate the glass and get to the basket. But they know they can't play every game like that, so they take the easy buckets most nights and save themselves.

This year, their biggest problem will be making sure they're all healthy to start the playoffs. Injuries are the concern, like they are for any team. Other than that, they're in good position to beat any team come playoff time.

Read Tim Legler's article on the daily dime on espn.

Nothing but more pitiful excuses and how Detroit has to worry about injuries and blah blah blah blah blah.

Why can't you admit that your an idiot Timmay and apologize for picking the Heat and writing an article about how they are STILL the team to beat. Why can't you admit that Detroit is the best team by head and shoulders.

I read the article. It's pretty funny. Legler, and ESPN in general, just can't get their hands around the Pistons being successful. The Heat win and it's all about, "Shaq is unstoppable! The majesty of Wade cannot be denied!" The Pistons win and it's, "Hmm... can they stay healthy?"

I'm used to it by now. That won't change, ever.

I rely on SportsCentre for the majority of my highlights. What a joke. Could they have any more hype surrounding LeBron, Wade, Shaq or Bryant? Gosh the Pistons played the Spurs yesterday and we destroyed them. The defending champions against the team they beat to take the title, and the teams with clearly the best records in the NBA. However, the first 10 minutes of the show were dedicated to Cavs/Lakers, two decent but overrated teams. We had breakdowns of every quarter, stats, interviews, anything you could imagine. Still no word yet on the Pistons.

Back after the break, we manage to have highlights of Detroit. And we didn't see any highlights of our play that brought us a 37-17 lead, no of course not. Instead we focus on Duncan’s off night, and see about 3 Piston field goals for the entire game. Show some respect towards the Pistons!

Well, until we get a self centered prima donna player who consistently puts up highlight reel plays, what do you expect. The media will lament the lack of "team play" in league in one breathe and then spend the next half an hour hyping all the superstars.

Casual fans want to see high flying all-star style games. And most places continue to pander to them and the idea that you don't have a shot at a championship without a bonafide superstar player on your team. As far as i'm concerned, they can keep ignoring the evidence, and we'll keep on motorin' along over here in Detroit. I figure it should be good for another championship or two.

(Of course, this begs the question, are tyhe Pistons winning because their starting five are turning into stars, or are they becoming star players because they are winning. Chicken or the egg?)

"Only thing left for Pistons to prove now, after spanking Spurs again, is that their iron-man starting five can stay healthy for the rest of the season."

Marc Stein for the power ranking comment for the Pistons.

News Flash: They have the best strength and conditioning coach which explains their starting 5's 90-100+ game consecutive starts.

*edit* It's almost as if they want one of the Pistons to get hurt.

Edited by dallas27

^^^^

I was being sarcastic/bragging. I watch every game and although it is exciting to watch them whoop on everyones asses it can get boring, in a good way, as well.

*edit* Delfino looked GREAT this afternoon. I want Flip and the Pistons to get a comfortable lead in the standings and start giving the bench 25-30 minutes a game becuase I firmly believe that they can get reaaaaal deep if the bench keeps getting better. Delfino can become a beast in the NBA and he probably will, he's still young as heck.

Oh, they would have to trade Arroyo though tongue.gif

Edited by dallas27

John Hollinger, the alternative stat guy for ESPN, was very critical of Detroit's bench last year. Today, he wrote a blurb on ESPN about how well the Pistons' bench has been playing of late. He pointed out that they're not just playing well in blowouts, but often (like last night) they're the reason the Pistons are blowing other teams out. I thought Hollinger was excessively critical of the Pistons bench last year (although he admitted they were playing well during their playoff run), but to see even him changing his tune is a good indicator of how sound the bench is. There are better benches in the NBA, but this one is good enough to have all the Pistons starters playing fewer minutes than they did last year. That's the main thing.

Time to trade Arroyo. I am sick of his sloppy passes, his un-necessary shots, his usless dribbling (which also result in traveling calls and palming the ball), his turnovers and his HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE defense. All against a New York team that was starting 3 rookies which the Stones beat by 27...

Be happy that you don't have to watch him Aussie...

Calling Aussie_Wing....you ok bro? You have disappeared.

Yep, I'm here. Just got back from the Aussie Open thumbup.gif

Well I went back and checked the box scores for the games I missed, and hasn't the coach got faith in Delfino! The last game he was the first off the bench, and has contributed 22 points over two games. We have to keep using him, because I think he could be very valuable come the playoffs.

^^^^

I was being sarcastic/bragging. I watch every game and although it is exciting to watch them whoop on everyones asses it can get boring, in a good way, as well.

*edit* Delfino looked GREAT this afternoon. I want Flip and the Pistons to get a comfortable lead in the standings and start giving the bench 25-30 minutes a game becuase I firmly believe that they can get reaaaaal deep if the bench keeps getting better. Delfino can become a beast in the NBA and he probably will, he's still young as heck.

Oh, they would have to trade Arroyo though tongue.gif

I was joking as well. Hence the emotion. tongue.gif

During the Pistons' current six-game winning streak, they've won games by an average of 22 points yowza.gifyowza.gifyowza.gif

I mean, my God, it doesn't even look like they're even trying out there. I mean that seriously, and not in a derogatory way either. That Knicks game, they just cruised their way to a 30 point lead. They're so good, they get out to a lead and the other team realizes there isn't a damn thing they can do about it, and start resting up. How many times did they work the ball inside only to kick it out to Tayshaun, who would be in his own zip code? He'd catch the ball, check his watch, break out the cell and call his wife, order pizza, do a crossword puzzle, turn to Spike Lee and say "Watch this", line up the 3 and sink it.

Granted, the opponents have been along the lines of the Bobcats, Hawks, and Knicks - the dregs of the league. Guess we don't have to worry about a lack of focus biggrin.gif

And now it's Houston tonight. Looks like they may be without Yao and Stromile Swift. You can't hope to run with the Pistons shorthanded. Win column!

I can see em going 40-5....that sounds so crazy....40-5

*edit* SA lost against Denver today...I'm not quite sure San Antonio in the finals is a given anymore. Dallas is only one game behind them now.

Edited by dallas27

And now it's Houston tonight. Looks like they may be without Yao and Stromile Swift. You can't hope to run with the Pistons shorthanded. Win column!

Hopefully they can get out to a big lead. We need to give Jason Maxiell/Darko Milicic/Arroyo more minutes. Even though the starters haven't been needed down the stretch in the last several games, a little rest now can help later. If we make it to the Finals this year, we need homecourt advantage the whole way. It's something we're well on our way to doing, but after all this, we're only 3 games ahead of the Spurs. It's crazy!

San Antonio has also played 4 or 5 MORE games than Detroit. By the time everything is even the Pistons will be well ahead of the Spurs and everyone else.

Arroyo reaaaaallllyyyyyyy neeeedddsssss to get off this team, I can't stand his s**t anymore. Stupid, stupid turnovers just becuase his dumb ass thinks he's an all-star.

and *flip* goes the switch again....commercial break in the Wings' game, good chance for me to climb outta the La-Z-Boy and check out the Pistons' score: 51-51. c'mon, boys, what the hell. next commercial break, have the Pistons decided to play yet? 72-57, Pistons. 34-5, just like that.

36-5 at the halfway point of the season. that of course projects out to a 72-10 finish. new definition of futility: being the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference this year. currently that's the 19-22 Wizards....the Wizards are a donut team - big hole in the middle. Tayshaun and Sheed would abuse them inside to the tune of about 25 points per game each.

Billups, surely got to be MVP?

Another brilliant performance today, 34 points on 9-13 shooting, and 5-5 3PT. I saw a few highlights of his threes, and wow they were impressive. I cannot belive how good this team is. And we haven't even seen Hunter yet, he'll impove our bench.

God, yet another great win by the Pistons.

They were down late in the 4th and what happens? Their defense turns it around and they win. Big Ben with a few key blocked shots and rebounds and then Chauncey fillin' the 3's. That was just great!

Will they ever slow down???? wink.gif