• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barnes52

Bootland

Rate this topic

He's playing well, 4 pts (2 g 2 a) and is getting time on the penalty kill and power play, he's also backchecking. Did I mention he leads the AHL with 7 majors this year? Why? Because he's the only toughness Grand Rapids has right now. I'd love to see Mowers get the axe and have Bootland see some time on the fourth line as a "grinder". Given he's on the last year of his contract, you're going to need to evaluate him anyways, might as well cut some dead weight. Speaking of dead weight, how about getting rid of Rivers and playing Lebda, I mean when are we going to let the kids play?

Mowers is in the pressbox and so will Rivers once Woolley heals up, which ought to be any game now. Though Lebda will likely come back once Manny is cleared to play and Jimmy is sent back to GR.

I wouldn't mind Boots on the 4th but I can't see him kicking any of Franzen, Cleary, or Samuelsson off the active roster.

peace

Why does it not surprise me that this particular player impresses you?, lol, In all honesty though, I would rather have Bootland up here than Mowers. I just cant' see him getting into a ton of games barring an injury. There's no way I would dress him ahead of Cleary/Franzen/Samuelson. His grit would be good IF he was willing to play the body without taking dumb penalties. As far as fighting majors go... I think we're doing ok in the "team toughness" catagory. It was nice to see Fisch take care of business right there, rather than having to wait for a goon to come on the ice later in the game.

I am in total agreement with you on the Lebda/Rivers idea though. Lebda has impressed me way more than Rivers so far.

Yeah, I think Bootland has more potential over Mowers. Bootland can score goals and can get in a fight or two which gets the crowd more excited too! This year let Bootland play a few games as a reserve and maybe have a position next season.

I'm sorta wondering how the combo Drapes, Maltby, and Bootland would be. They'd definitely be the grindline again.

Why does it not surprise me that this particular player impresses you?, lol, In all honesty though, I would rather have Bootland up here than Mowers. I just cant' see him getting into a ton of games barring an injury. There's no way I would dress him ahead of Cleary/Franzen/Samuelson. His grit would be good IF he was willing to play the body without taking dumb penalties. As far as fighting majors go... I think we're doing ok in the "team toughness" catagory. It was nice to see Fisch take care of business right there, rather than having to wait for a goon to come on the ice later in the game.

I am in total agreement with you on the Lebda/Rivers idea though. Lebda has impressed me way more than Rivers so far.

Wings don't have much team toughness. From what I gather they're constantly out hit. Fischer standing up to Barnaby doesn't impress much. I expect him to do that vs someone like Barnaby. Will he do it vs tougher opponents? Either way it's a waste to have Fischer policing the game for us.

Why does it not surprise me that this particular player impresses you?, lol,  In all honesty though, I would rather have Bootland up here than Mowers.  I just cant' see him getting into a ton of games barring an injury.  There's no way I would dress him ahead of Cleary/Franzen/Samuelson.  His grit would be good IF he was willing to play the body without taking dumb penalties.  As far as fighting majors go... I think we're doing ok in the "team toughness"  catagory.  It was nice to see Fisch take care of business right there, rather than having to wait for a goon to come on the ice later in the game. 

I am in total agreement with you on the Lebda/Rivers idea though.  Lebda has impressed me way more than Rivers so far.

wink.gif I knew you wouldn't be surprised. Hey Bootland can play a fourth line role score some goals, draw some penalties and get his nose dirty. I agree and I'm not advocating we replace him with the players you mentioned, just as a callup when there's injuries ahead of Mowers. At some point though, you got to see what he can do, his contract is up and you need to see if he can hack the NHL.

Edited by Barnes52

Why does it not surprise me that this particular player impresses you?, lol,  In all honesty though, I would rather have Bootland up here than Mowers.  I just cant' see him getting into a ton of games barring an injury.  There's no way I would dress him ahead of Cleary/Franzen/Samuelson.   His grit would be good IF he was willing to play the body without taking dumb penalties.  As far as fighting majors go... I think we're doing ok in the "team toughness"  catagory.  It was nice to see Fisch take care of business right there, rather than having to wait for a goon to come on the ice later in the game. 

I am in total agreement with you on the Lebda/Rivers idea though.  Lebda has impressed me way more than Rivers so far.

wink.gif I knew you wouldn't be surprised. Hey Bootland can play a fourth line role score some goals, draw some penalties and get his nose dirty. I agree and I'm not advocating we replace him with the players you mentioned, just as a callup when there's injuries ahead of Mowers. At some point though, you got to see what he can do, his contract is up and you need to see if he can hack the NHL.

thumbup.gif

Why does it not surprise me that this particular player impresses you?, lol,  In all honesty though, I would rather have Bootland up here than Mowers.  I just cant' see him getting into a ton of games barring an injury.  There's no way I would dress him ahead of Cleary/Franzen/Samuelson.  His grit would be good IF he was willing to play the body without taking dumb penalties.  As far as fighting majors go... I think we're doing ok in the "team toughness"  catagory.  It was nice to see Fisch take care of business right there, rather than having to wait for a goon to come on the ice later in the game. 

Wings don't have much team toughness. From what I gather they're constantly out hit. Fischer standing up to Barnaby doesn't impress much. I expect him to do that vs someone like Barnaby. Will he do it vs tougher opponents? Either way it's a waste to have Fischer policing the game for us.

I agree with the waste part of your thread, I would absolutely blow a gasket if Fisch broke his hand or something else stupid whilst pummeling a Barnaby type guy. But, is it more of a waste tie up a roster spot with a guy whose only going to get 2-3 minutes of ice time? Bootland, however would be one guy that I would like to give a shot to.

IF he can take a semi-regular shift and not be a defensive liability, then maybe he can learn some other skills to make him of value to the team too, besides the knuckle- chucking.

I would offer up Chris Neil as a prime example of a guy who saw the writing on the wall, so to speak. I think he knew he had to offer something besides fighting to stick with the Sens, so he becomes a "Holmstrom" type guy on the PP, and he's doin a great job of it too. I'm not all that familiar with Booter to say whether or not there's potential for him to develop like that. There's PK duty too if he can anticipate plays and skate well enough.

Mowers is in the pressbox and so will Rivers once Woolley heals up, which ought to be any game now.  Though Lebda will likely come back once Manny is cleared to play and Jimmy is sent back to GR.

I wouldn't mind Boots on the 4th but I can't see him kicking any of Franzen, Cleary, or Samuelsson off the active roster.

peace

Here's to hoping these threads stay at this 'urgency-level' all season.user posted image

Mixing up a fwd or 2 on the fourth line, and who gets the 6th or 7th Dman spot down the line. Awfully nice 'problems' to discuss here.

That said, Rivers is grossly overpaid (league minimum). Lebda is no great risk there.

And looks to me like Boots has to await an 'i-word' and for Mowers to be moved to have a shot this year?

aloha

My two cents:

I'm fine with replacing Mowers with Bootland. Hell, I'd even give him Cleary's spot for a couple of games. What's Cleary done that's so great? He skates fast, can't finish and gets knocked off the puck easily. Give Boots a shot.

I'd also switch out Lebda for Rivers but I'm still not ready to give up on Rivers entirely though. He's still got a little roughness to him that I like. For example, he's one of the few Wings I've seen consistently clear people away from the goal tender after the whistle. (That extra contact drives me crazy!)

wurd,

esteef

Edited by esteef

I would love for Bootland to get a shot this year, By the way Barnes52 Bootland now leads the Ahl with 9 fighting majors. Im glad the Wings are winning and all but i have to admit the games are so god dam boring right now, the game last night against St Louis was the worst i have seen. There was absolutely no hitting what so ever. I went from watching the Calgary vs Vancouver game on saturday night, it was fast, the hitting was tremendous and there were 5 fights, then i watched the Wings game last night and i was so bored. Half way through that game i was wishing Bootland was out there starting some s**t, hitting and causing some scrums. And what the hell has happened to the grindline? They used to go out there and hit and energise the team, they don't do that anymore. Its time to get Bootland on that line and then they won't need to rename it.

I really wouldn't mind seeing Booter replace Cleary a couple games , over the last couple games Cleary has really seemed to come less effective. That said I do still like his play ,and am glad he is on the team. Bootland over Mowers is a no brainer , if you add Mowers to our lineup -no change- take him away -no change- , hes a void. At least Booter COULD at LEAST fill a role. It just makes too much sense to play Booter over Mark.

Heck I'd even let Booter play over Stevie on some back to back games and such.

I was and am still baffled they signed Mowers -- there is nothing about him that stands out except mediocraty (sp). Bootland is a gamer and I think Babcock could get him to lay off the spazzing out too. He is a very good hitter on the forecheck and has upside skillwise. I say why not. Cleary is getting press and I don't understand -- sure he can spell on the PK but he looks like Paul Woods, a total waste of mobility. I'd replace Cleary with Bootland in a heartbeat and Mowers would be in Europe right now.