• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sergei Fedorov91

Detroit Lions

Rate this topic

On the brighter side, the Lions are interviewing Jim Haslett today and Gary Kubiak (Broncos defensive coordinator) tomorrow.

According to the Houston paper, which I usually read, its all but official that Gary Kubiak will be the Texans coach.

And RMWG, Millen isn't going anywhere sad.gif

Edited by BlakChamber

I saw a Detroit Lions car flag in the parking lot at the Krogers today yowza.gif

This is a rare sighting in the Motor City itself, but here in Norfolk, VA, it's just below "Rhinoceros sauntering down Granby Street" on the list of things I'm likely to see in this town.

I had to leave a note on the windshield - had to. It read: "Love the flag! Keep the faith! - Another suffering fan."

But I couldn't help myself.....I added a PS: "FIRE MILLEN!"

anyone else see the south park episode where they vote for a new school mascot between and a giant ****** and a turd sandwich???

I feel that is the same way when you look at Jim Haslett and Rod Marinelli. Not sure which is which tho.

thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif to these two top choices

I was just watching Sportscenter and Mel "hairspray" Kiper projected the Lions to pick Jay Cutler QB from Vanderbutt. Great that sounds like a typical lions pick. Our track record picking QB's is so steller. On ESPN radio today one of the radio show hosts (whoever was subing for Dan Patrick) said if the Lions pick Cutler they should be forced to fold the franchise.

What the Lions really need to do is continue to stockpile draft picks for the next 2-3 years. Trade down with first round pick (take a lower first round and a second or third) and keep doing it til they have enough picks built up that they don't have to worry about these picks that are busters.

And for God sakes stop signing crappy free agents for big $'s (see Damian Woody) that guy is a buster. Do you really think he would have left New England if he really cared about winning, or much less figured he better take the money before he is exposed as a good lineman as opposed to looking better than he is because he is on a good team.

Lastly will I am going off, get rid of that idiot Dre Bly. I was a fan of his until he started pointing the finger at Joey (not that I don't think JH is part of the failures) but I didn't see his stupid ass intercepting those 2 passes (can't remember the game) that might have helped the Lions pull it out. Of course he did have a huge cast on his hand, but if he can't make the plays then don't blame someone else.

I am just praying to God that they will win a title before I die (0 for 30 yrs so far) thank God we at least got to see Barry play!

anyone else see the south park episode where they vote for a new school mascot between and a giant ****** and a turd sandwich???

I feel that is the same way when you look at Jim Haslett and Rod Marinelli. Not sure which is which tho.

thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif to these two top choices

You know it's going to be Marinelli. For a couple reasons:

- Russ Grimm is still not available.

- Haslett is the Bills top choice.

- Morninhweg, Mariucci, Marinelli.

I was just watching Sportscenter and Mel "hairspray" Kiper projected the Lions to pick Jay Cutler QB from Vanderbutt. Great that sounds like a typical lions pick. Our track record picking QB's is so steller. On ESPN radio today one of the radio show hosts (whoever was subing for Dan Patrick) said if the Lions pick Cutler they should be forced to fold the franchise.

What the Lions really need to do is continue to stockpile draft picks for the next 2-3 years. Trade down with first round pick (take a lower first round and a second or third) and keep doing it til they have enough picks built up that they don't have to worry about these picks that are busters.

And for God sakes stop signing crappy free agents for big $'s (see Damian Woody) that guy is a buster. Do you really think he would have left New England if he really cared about winning, or much less figured he better take the money before he is exposed as a good lineman as opposed to looking better than he is because he is on a good team.

Lastly will I am going off, get rid of that idiot Dre Bly. I was a fan of his until he started pointing the finger at Joey (not that I don't think JH is part of the failures) but I didn't see his stupid ass intercepting those 2 passes (can't remember the game) that might have helped the Lions pull it out. Of course he did have a huge cast on his hand, but if he can't make the plays then don't blame someone else.

I am just praying to God that they will win a title before I die (0 for 30 yrs so far) thank God we at least got to see Barry play!

While I agree with a lot of your points, I have to disagree about a few things.

We shouldn't trade down on the draft this year. With the #9 pick in the NFL draft, the lions should select CB Jimmy Williams from Va. Tech.

Dre Bly is the only defensive back that is any good. While it was stupid for him to point the fingers, dre bly is a helluva cornerback and should be on the pro bowl roster this year. He would have been there if it wasnt for his injuries this year.

As far as Jay Cutler, ummmmm...NO!! I think we should sign free agent billy volek to a one year deal and if it doesnt pan out, then draft a quarterback in the 2007 draft.

In case you guys hadn't seen it, the NFL changed the Lions schedule next year

2006 LIONS SCHEDULE

September

14.....Warren Junior High

21.....Cub Scout Troop #101

28.....Detroit Blind Academy

October

05.....Spanish American War Vets

12.....Crippled Children's Home

19.....Newberry Mental Hospital

26.....Girl Scout Troop #353

November

02.....Michigan Venereal Disease Clinic

09.....Flint Boys Choir

16.....Korean Amputees

SPECIAL MONDAY NIGHT GAME

December

08.... Saginaw *** Boys Club

**RULES CHANGES FROM LAST YEAR**

1- When playing polio patients, the Lions must not disconnect knee braces.

2- When playing the Blind Academy, the Lions must not hide the football under their jerseys

**RULES THE SAME FROM LAST YEAR**

1- A touchdown ( this is when the ball is carried over the goal line for all you Lion fans that have never seen this) it is still worth 6 points.

2- The Lions will be allowed 20 men on the field at all times.

3- The Lions will be allowed to substitute with band members at any time.

4- The Lions will be awarded 10 time outs as opposed to 3 for the opposing team.

5- The Lions will be awarded a first down with each gain of three yards or more, instead of the usual ten yards.

**NAME CHANGE**

The Detroit Lions will be changed to the "Detroit Tampons" as they are only good for one period and have no second string.

**COACHING CHANGES**

Jauron will be replaced by Monica Lewinsky, she will no doubt blow a few, but she certainly won't choke on the big ones!!!!

I was just watching Sportscenter and Mel "hairspray" Kiper projected the Lions to pick Jay Cutler QB from Vanderbutt.  Great that sounds like a typical lions pick.  Our track record picking QB's is so steller.  On ESPN radio today one of the radio show hosts (whoever was subing for Dan Patrick) said if the Lions pick Cutler they should be forced to fold the franchise. 

What the Lions really need to do is continue to stockpile draft picks for the next 2-3 years.  Trade down with first round pick (take a lower first round and a second or third) and keep doing it til they have enough picks built up that they don't have to worry about these picks that are busters.

And for God sakes stop signing crappy free agents for big $'s (see Damian Woody) that guy is a buster.  Do you really think he would have left New England if he really cared about winning, or much less figured he better take the money before he is exposed as a good lineman as opposed to looking better than he is because he is on a good team.

Lastly will I am going off, get rid of that idiot Dre Bly.  I was a fan of his until he started pointing the finger at Joey (not that I don't think JH is part of the failures) but I didn't see his stupid ass intercepting those 2 passes (can't remember the game) that might have helped the Lions pull it out.  Of course he did have a huge cast on his hand, but if he can't make the plays then don't blame someone else. 

While I agree with a lot of your points, I have to disagree about a few things.

We shouldn't trade down on the draft this year. With the #9 pick in the NFL draft, the lions should select CB Jimmy Williams from Va. Tech.

Dre Bly is the only defensive back that is any good. While it was stupid for him to point the fingers, dre bly is a helluva cornerback and should be on the pro bowl roster this year. He would have been there if it wasnt for his injuries this year.

As far as Jay Cutler, ummmmm...NO!! I think we should sign free agent billy volek to a one year deal and if it doesnt pan out, then draft a quarterback in the 2007 draft.

Cutler is a quality QB, but in my mind he's one you pick up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Williams is a fine player, and on the field, one of just a few players that make sense for the Lions given their needs (the others are D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Tamba Hali, or Mathias Kiwanuka) but Williams is a jackass.

I think for the QB situation, we need to trade for a QB. Draft one this year with a 2nd or 3rd round pick (Cutler, Brett Basanez, Charlie Whitehurst) and develop them and let them compete with Orlovsky. Meantime we need to be trading for Matt Schaub, who hopefully would make the drafted QB expendable. Or, say, Chris Simms, Volek, or Jon Kitna, to louse up the job until our project QB is ready.

What I don't want to happen, this year next year or any time in the near future, is to draft another "franchise QB" and watch him sink like a rock just like every franchise QB we've ever picked up. I'm tired of drafting the heir apparent to the QB throne. Hell, maybe just pick one up each year in the sixth round....one of them has got to be Tom Brady eventually.

Interesting thought on the drafting a QB with a late round pick every year til you find a franchise QB. I was listening to sports radio the other week and they said (sorry can't remember who the GM was) but he would pick a QB every year with a late round pick and one of them would eventually develop into a quality starter in a couple years of course some wouldn't pan out, but they weren't using a top pick on a QB and investing all that money and having them not pan out.

It is so hard to say who they should draft because so few first rounders the lions have picked have been great or even very good. They seem to draft in spurts. Remember the CB spurt Terry Fair and Brian Westbrook. The OL lineman streak McDougle thumbdown.gif , Aaron Gibson thumbdown.gif and Backus (seems to be pretty solid now hopefully they don't let him sign somewhere else like Jeff Hartings). Of course the recent wide receiver streak no need to mention the three but it looks like Roy Williams is the only one worth a crap (if he can stay healthy). I don't want to be unfair to Mike Williams but it looks like he wasn't as great as his draft position. Might have benefitted a little from playing on a great team in a conference that can't play D worth a crap.

I just question where are the guys with the desire to win? A few have it for sure, but most seem to not mind getting outplayed and outworked at all.

They need to draft guys who will make an impact look at all the LB's they passed over they are going to be franchise players like Derrick Johnson and Shawn Merriman. Crap those guys would have help a lot this year (although I think they have some pretty decent LB's when healthy). None of those guys are going to be the next Chris Spielman. As much as I hate to say it I hope they draft one of the Ohio State punch.gif LB's. I thought Hawk might have been overhyped when compared to Carpenter who looked to be just as good from what I saw. And Hawk likely will be gone before the Lions pick. Just my thoughts.

Edited by cali wingsfan #19 4ever

We've got LB's. Keep them healthy and it's a terrific, athletic unit. Earl Holmes is a good run stuffer and Bailey and Lehman can run all over the field to make plays. It'd be great to have a defensive end to put opposite James Hall....two bookends to match the beef in the middle, and that's why I'd love Kiwanuka or Hali. Bryant is a decent CB, but Williams would probably be an improvement.

But in the end, the Lions could do much worse than to take seven offensive linemen, starting with D'Brick. That more than anything is a horrific weak spot.

Billy Volek still has a few years left on his contract...however with the emergence of Vince Young that could play right into our hands. If New Orleans takes Leinart as expected, that will leave Tennessee in a position where they have to decide if Volek is really their future. My guess is they cant pass on Young and they'll end up dealing Volek right on draft day to the Lions. Since theyll be forced to deal him i dont think it would cost us more than probably a mid round pick...probably our 3rd rounder. So instead of drafting a QB we take a chance with Volek who could be ready to start right now...I'd have no problem with that. Of course this would all hinge on what happens with Vince Young..

Lions need to overhaul this damn O-line...cause its pathetic. Draft the best available tackle! And sign a DE, Hall and Redding is a sh!tty duo. Imagine what we could do with a real pass rusher to compliment Rogers.

Billy Volek still has a few years left on his contract...however with the emergence of Vince Young that could play right into our hands. If New Orleans takes Leinart as expected, that will leave Tennessee in a position where they have to decide if Volek is really their future. My guess is they cant pass on Young and they'll end up dealing Volek right on draft day to the Lions. Since theyll be forced to deal him i dont think it would cost us more than probably a mid round pick...probably our 3rd rounder. So instead of drafting a QB we take a chance with Volek who could be ready to start right now...I'd have no problem with that. Of course this would all hinge on what happens with Vince Young..

Lions need to overhaul this damn O-line...cause its pathetic. Draft the best available tackle! And sign a DE, Hall and Redding is a sh!tty duo. Imagine what we could do with a real pass rusher to compliment Rogers.

Unfortunately, after Ferguson, the first-round cupboard is bare when it comes to O-linemen. If the Lions traded up to get Ferguson, I'd have no problems with that. Our DE's are fine....c'mon, Hall gets his fair share of sacks.....but I still wouldn't mind seeing Kiwanuka fall into our lap.

We could draft a Williams in the first round for the third year in a row. Jimmy Williams would look good opposite Dre' Bly. Problem is he's a Hokie and a selfish, immature one at that.

We could draft a Williams in the first round for the third year in a row. Jimmy Williams would look good opposite Dre' Bly. Problem is he's a Hokie and a selfish, immature one at that.

F Justin. I want MARIO!

Those 2 passes were the same game his hand was in a cast fyi.

Why would you get rid of a pro-bowl cornerback? He's had no problems before he just had a brain fart...I'm sure you have had brain farts before and said something you shouldn't have.

Lions are in talks with Mike Martz to become the offensive coordinator. Martz could have the job by Monday....apparently, the decision is up to him.

I'm torn here. A little leery of the idea. On the one hand, I think it'd be the end of the famous five-yard pass on third-and-8. Might even see less third-and-8's. On the other hand, Martz isn't really the offensive genius he's often made out to be - Dick Vermeil took the Rams to the Super Bowl, not Martz. Mariucci was supposed to be an offensive genius, too. And does anyone think the Lions are the no-stress job Martz ought to have given his heart problems?

Lions are in talks with Mike Martz to become the offensive coordinator. Martz could have the job by Monday....apparently, the decision is up to him.

I'm torn here. A little leery of the idea. On the one hand, I think it'd be the end of the famous five-yard pass on third-and-8. Might even see less third-and-8's. On the other hand, Martz isn't really the offensive genius he's often made out to be - Dick Vermeil took the Rams to the Super Bowl, not Martz. Mariucci was supposed to be an offensive genius, too. And does anyone think the Lions are the no-stress job Martz ought to have given his heart problems?

I was definitely hoping Martz would consider the OC job right when he was fired, hes an excellent offensive mind, just a terrible head coach. Look what he's done with his system..taking average QB's and churning out big time numbers.Marc Bulger doenst do much of anything anywhere else imo. Im pretty damn excited about this! Now i hope we keep Charles Rogers, cause with him and the two Williamses I think Martz could turn this crap into a prolific offense. His offense emphasizes the WR position, and when you spend 3 straight picks on it well....might as well get a guy like him!

And considering our head coach is a defensive guy makes this match even better.

Martz has been hired as the offensive coordinator. Donnie Henderson, formerly of the Jets, will be the defensive coordinator. No doubt the rest of the staff will now fall quickly together.

Wisely, Marinelli retained special teams coach Chuck Priefer. Special teams have been a huge strength for the Lions ever since Priefer got here. Priefer's coached under every Lions coach since Bobby Ross (since 1997) and it really says something about his talents that he has been now retained by three head-coaching hires (M, M, and M.)

Edit: Link

Edited by betterREDthandead

Hopefully Martz utilizes KJ, although he really has no choice as we have no qb to run and gun.

martz has had a knack for getting good numbers from QB's...kurt warner, marc bulger, jamie martin, trent green...even ryan fiztpatrick showed flashes of superstardom under martz...

aside from warner in his prime, none of those QB's have any real talent. so maybe he can get the same out of one of our QB's...be it Joey, DanO, or whoever...

and we really need to get more out of our recievers too...roy williams is a loafing underachiever...and the word underachieve is woefully inadequate to describe charles rogers and mike williams.

i really believe we need better play from our offensive line to give either KJ or our QB a chance...

this offense is a MESS...martz has his work cut out for him, that's for sure...

Martz hasn't been hired, but it does sound like it's just a matter of money and/or years.

I think this is a GREAT hire if it goes through. The only other guy I would've been satisfied with is Mularkey (Miami OC now) or Tom Moore (current Indy OC, Lions couldn't get him out of his contract).

I think the Lions have done a fantastic job putting together a coaching staff so far this offseason and Martz would be the icing on the cake. Despite his quirks he is a proven winner, innovator and is exactly what this offense needs.

Listing to Marinelli talk about him on WDFN yesterday was really encouraging.