• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

Wings starting Goalie

Rate this topic

Who should be the Wings starting Goalie?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Legace is an average goaltender. Will make some big saves, will make some bad decisions, and lacks experience in the playoffs (spare me any conspiracy theories on why he hasn't been given his shot).

Osgood is a good goaltender. Can steal games, make big saves, can also let in the infuriatingly soft goals at times. But when he's on, which hopefully he will be come playoff time, Detroit can win the Cup with him in net. People seem to forget he's done it once already.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I'd have to go Manny. I want to know what he can do, and no better time to find that out than right now. The next few games should be tougher and will give Manny the opportunity to prove himself to everyone, not just those (like myself) who are impressed with his start this year against the lower ranked teams.

I'd give Osgood maybe a dozen starts the rest of the way, and always against teams like Columbus, St. Louis, etc

I couldn't agree more with you.

I would also like to add that when i watch these two goaltenders, Manny seems to eat up the puck on a shot more and give less rebounds, as Ozzy gives up a lot of rebounds. I would definitely give Manny the start in goal, but then again I'm not Babcock... wink.gif

As much as I like Osgood and all I never feel comfortable with him in net. On the flipside Legace's been getting so good at stopping odd-man rushes I hardly even flinch or react when we get them against us. Legace definitely, though I'm glad to know we have Ozzie inc ase things go awry again with Manny.

Legace is an average goaltender. Will make some big saves, will make some bad decisions, and lacks experience in the playoffs (spare me any conspiracy theories on why he hasn't been given his shot).

Osgood is a good goaltender. Can steal games, make big saves, can also let in the infuriatingly soft goals at times. But when he's on, which hopefully he will be come playoff time, Detroit can win the Cup with him in net. People seem to forget he's done it once already.

Not taking anything away from Ozzie but you could have had a pylon in net 1998. We would have won the cup anyway. That team didn't win the cup on their goaltenders back.

Not taking anything away from Ozzie but you could have had a pylon in net 1998. We would have won the cup anyway. That team didn't win the cup on their goaltenders back.

That's not taking anything away from Ozzie, saying they could've had a pylon in net?

I realize that's popular opinion, but it's not true. You can't win the Stanley Cup without solid goaltending and a great team.

Few teams win on their goaltenders back (Hasek never won until he came to Detroit).

That's not taking anything away from Ozzie, saying they could've had a pylon in net?

I realize that's popular opinion, but it's not true. You can't win the Stanley Cup without solid goaltending and a great team.

Few teams win on their goaltenders back (Hasek never won until he came to Detroit).

exactly solid goaltending. great team. Not the other way around. The 2002 team had great goaltending and a great team. Ozzie was all we needed in 1998 to win. We were on a role. He played as well as he had to.

I realize that's popular opinion, but it's not true.  You can't win the Stanley Cup without solid goaltending and a great team.

exactly solid goaltending. great team. Not the other way around. The 2002 team had great goaltending and a great team. Ozzie was all we needed in 1998 to win. We were on a role. He played as well as he had to.

The best Manny will provide in the playoffs is solid goaltending. At best.

Osgood will be solid with the chance he'll be great.

Who knows. Maybe Manny will prove me wrong in the playoffs, but I doubt it.

Why do so many people question Manny's chance of doing well in the playoffs?

I dont think that Manny has EVER given anyone a reason to believe that he cannot be sucessful in the playoffs.

Manny needs that chance, just like Ozzie got in '98

I hear people on this board saying that they like Manny and that he should play most of the regular season games, (as long as he keeps up the stellar play), but then when the playoffs come around, throw in Osgood.

I would say, out of the two goaltenders, Osgood would be more likely to blow a playoff series on a bad goal (as there are a few of those) coughcoughSanJose1994coughcough, or the ever so wonderful LA series that the Wings should have had without a problem (what was it? 2001?)

i remember watching game three when the wings had a 2-0 series lead, and they were up 3-0 in the second period. What happened??? Does anyone remember?

was it 4 straight goals by the kings ? ALL of which Osgood by all means should have had. Did that shift the momentum of that series at all? YOU BETCHA

Wasn't that the reason why we got rid of him in the first place?

I'm sure Ken Holland was so impressed by Osgood's wonderful performances in the playoffs.

I didnt like him then, and i certainly dont like him now.

Before i start writing an essay on the matter, i will end this post with just a simple :

Osgood is no good

Why do so many people question Manny's chance of doing well in the playoffs?

I dont think that Manny has EVER given anyone a reason to believe that he cannot be sucessful in the playoffs.

Manny needs that  chance, just like Ozzie got in '98

I hear people on this board saying that they like Manny and that he should play most of the regular season games, (as long as he keeps up the stellar play), but then when the playoffs come around, throw in Osgood.

I would say, out of the two goaltenders, Osgood would be more likely to blow a playoff series on a bad goal (as there are a few of those) coughcoughSanJose1994coughcough, or the ever so wonderful  LA series that the Wings should have had without a problem (what was it? 2001?)

i remember watching game three when the wings had a 2-0 series lead, and they were up 3-0 in the second period.  What happened??? Does anyone remember?

was it  4 straight goals by the kings ?  ALL of which Osgood by all means should have had.  Did that shift the momentum of that series at all?  YOU BETCHA

Wasn't that the reason why we got rid of him in the first place?

I'm sure Ken Holland was so impressed by Osgood's wonderful performances in the playoffs.

I didnt like him then, and i certainly dont like him now.

Before i start writing an essay on the matter, i will end this post with just a simple :

Osgood is no good

Maybe because he's played a total of four playoff games in his career? Legace is a total unknown. That's a question mark.

Yes Yes, I remember all the heartbreaking Wings losses in the playoffs over the years, trust me. We had big problems besides Ozzie that kept us from winning. The Red Wings didn't have what it took in 94.

But of course, it was all Ozzie's fault. Good thing the only goals on Legace are shots no one could've stopped.

I'll make it simple too:

All Red Wings goaltenders who won the Stanley Cup as a starter, please step forward.

Whoa... not so fast there Manny.

That's at least worth a question mark in Manny's column, and a little credit to Osgood.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I'll make it simple too:

All Red Wings goaltenders who won the Stanley Cup as a starter, please step forward.

Whoa... not so fast there Manny.

That's at least worth a question mark in Manny's column, and a little credit to Osgood.

Ok, that game can be played both ways

All Redwings goalies that have the CONSISTANCY(sp?) to start in the playoffs, please step forward...

Wait Osgood, How many soft goals have you allowed in the playoffs?

I can count quite a few, in fact more than most goaltenders out there

You CANNOT let in a goal from the blueline in a PLAYOFF game.

You SHOULD NOT be 10 feet out of your crease as you watch the puck go in.

Osgood's shaky history in the playoffs should make him just as much as a question mark in goal as Manny is, just because Manny has never really had the chance to prove himself

What makes anyone on here think that Manny cant do it?

When has he ever played as inconsistant as Osgood?

Please, let me know

Please, let me know

I like this statement. Ozzie was an unknown before he won the cup. Now it seems like a lot of Ozzie supporters use the fact that he's won it once before as the base of their arguement. Manny will be an unknown too, until he wins the cup. It's time to give him that chance.

Legace for sure, he earned it and to hope that Ozzie will be on come playoff time, is just a guess. I know Ozzie is still recovering, so ppl should give him a chance, but look how great Manny has been.

Please, let me know

I like this statement. Ozzie was an unknown before he won the cup. Now it seems like a lot of Ozzie supporters use the fact that he's won it once before as the base of their arguement. Manny will be an unknown too, until he wins the cup. It's time to give him that chance.

No, Ozzie supporters use the fact that he HAS won to debunk claims that he CAN'T win.

Osgood was also not an unknown before he won it...Osgood was a three-time All-Star with 132 wins and 20 shutouts. He also had a Second Team selection that should have been a First Team, as well as being runner-up up for the Vezina (should have won it)

He had also led the league in wins and GAA.

Osgood was SIGNIFICANTLY more accomplished in 98 than Legace is now.

Hell, after 95-96 Osgood had done more in his career than Legace has done with another ten years.

Ok, that game can be played both ways

All Redwings goalies that have the CONSISTANCY(sp?) to start in the playoffs, please step forward...

Wait Osgood, How many soft goals have you allowed in the playoffs?

I can count quite a few, in fact more than most goaltenders out there

You CANNOT let in a goal from the blueline in a PLAYOFF game.

You SHOULD NOT be 10 feet out of your crease as you watch the puck go in.

Osgood's shaky history in the playoffs should make him just as much as a question mark in goal as Manny is, just because Manny has never really had the chance to prove himself

When has he ever played as inconsistant as Osgood?

Please, let me know

So Manny's lack of a track record is an asset?

You do know that Manny and Ozzy are the same age, don't you?

When Osgood was playing his first playoff games in 1994, Manny had just made the jump to the AHL.

When Osgood won the Stanley Cup as the starting goaltender in 1998, Manny made the big jump to the IHL.

So you're saying Osgood is worse because he let in some shaky goals in an NHL playoff games years ago, and Manny's better because he hasn't, though it's because he was busy tending goal in the AHL and IHL?

Osgood has played consistent enough to start the playoffs. (remember the aforementioned Stanley Cup he won?)

I'm sure you can count more than a few softies Osgood has let it, and they were heartbreakers. how long ago was that? How many other goalies have you watched play as many games?

Osgood's "shaky history" is a couple isolated moments from years ago. When's the last time you've watched him in the playoffs?

I never said Manny can't do it. But Manny played inconsistent in his last game, though because it was Manny, none of the goals were his fault. If it were Ozzy in net, people would be saying he should've stopped all those goals.

And for the record, and for the millionth time, I don't think Manny is bad or Osgood is great. But if Ozzy plays well this season, he's the guy I would want in net in the playoffs.

And for the millionth time, I just think it's odd how much credit Manny gets for doing very little, and how little credit Ozzy gets for winning the Cup.

It's not worth arguing anymore, because you're too biased towards Legace to objectively rate their performances.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Again, for the BILLIONTH time...

Why not play Legace in the playoffs if he is doing better than Osgood???

Just because Osgod has a resume doesnt mean that he plays like that every year

We have all seen that he is less than consistant

Detroit needs consistancy in net, and I think the vast majority of this board feels that Legace can and will give consistancy