• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
norrisnick

Going to watch the Griffs tmw

Rate this topic

The Griffins are in town tomorrow playing the Iowa Stars and was just wondering if there was anyone in particular I should keep my eyes on for anyone?

Yes, Barnesy I'll keep an eye on Amadio and cheer for any scrappiness. wink.gif

Too bad Quincey and Howard are up with the Wings I was hoping to check their game out. At least Hudler, Flapjack, Kopecky, Bootland et. al. are still around and playing well of late.

The Stars don't seem to have the best of teams in their 1st season (I admit I haven't been following their progress). Isn't Belle supposed to be one of Dallas' best prospects? He's got a goose egg for the year and -4 in 18 games, even as a defenseman that's pretty bad.

peace

Bootland and McDonell have been impressive also. Kopecky has stepped up his game, and Edmonton's prospect-forgot his name huh.gif is also impressive. I'm actually excited at the number of prospects maturing and becoming players here. Holland definitely has some chips to play with if he decides to deal at the deadline. This summer will also be interesting. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts

Edited by Barnes52

I'm actually excited at the number of prospects maturing and becoming players here. Holland definitely has some chips to play with if he decides to deal at the deadline. This summer will also be interesting. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts

I we have many prospects, "maturing and becoming players", why would you suggest that we trade them at the deadline?

I might be going to the game Friday, when their in Peoria. I really hope I can find a way to make it to this game. I'm really interested in seeing Filppula, Hudler, Kopecky, and some of the others play.

I we have many prospects, "maturing and becoming players", why would you suggest that we trade them at the deadline?

Do you suggest I meant we trade all of them? Not at all, my point was that a lot of those guys will be UFA's next year and will be lost anyways or be more expensive, instead of trading draft picks, why not package one of 2 guys for some players. That's what I meant

Well, somewhat lackluster game IMO.

I tried really hard Barnesy! but I couldn't find Eriksson on the ice. I could find him skating around in warmups but other than that he didn't leave much of an impression, good or bad.

Ellis is a chippy bastard! He is hacking, slashing, checking anything that moves.

Filppula was very involved. He's the engine on the Kopecky/Bootland line. Bootland floated a lot. Didn't hit much of anything or drop the mitts which was sad. Kopecky pursued the puck well but Valtteri must have some sort of knack to always be in the play.

Hudler has slick moves and passes. Constantly circling looking for the puck or the open spaces. Saw him digging along the boards at times and had a two shift chat with #44 of the Stars which included a couple passing elbows and quick pokes going both ways.

Quincey looked real solid going both ways, moving the puck well and blocking passes and shots (there was a LOT of that by both teams). I'd say less than half of all shots and passes went on net or to the intended player. Real sloppy by both teams but moreso the Griffins.

Goals. The Stars' 1st goal was a simple back-door tip in from a PP point slap-pass. The Stars' 2nd goal was a mess with most notably #3 Clay Wilson?? not being able to clear the puck and then having the 2nd rebound shot bounce off him and in as Joey just layed in the crease hoping the puck would either be underneath him or hit him.

Griffins' 1st goal was just a point shot by Helmer ripped through. The 2nd goal was a rebound drilled home after two chances by Filppula and Bootland right in front.

The game winner by the Stars was a wrister top shelf from the left circle on a rush.

When trying to come back Bootland and Kopecky each took a weird/stupid penalty and managed to take 4 minutes off the clock in the 3rd. Bootland just blatantly hook/tripped a guy as he passed him from behind at center ice. And Kopecky shot the puck on net just baarely after an offsides whistle and picked up the unsportsmanlike conduct for it. Oh and there was a looong 5 on 3 for the Griffins earlier in the game that they managed to piss away not amounting much of anything.

The last minute and a half was pretty exciting as the Stars were called for a penalty in their own end so Ireland took a time out pulled the goalie and the Griffins controlled the offensive zone for the last 90 seconds peppering the Stars with chances and shots from Hudler in the right circle and point shots with traffic. But, they couldn't capitalize and that was all she wrote.

I think Hudler would do well with linemates that can receive and move the puck at a much greater rate than what he currently has with Manlow and McDonell. I'd be very interested to see what he could do in Detroit and our passing game. He's almost always in open space looking for the puck and where it's going to be.

So yeah I've rambled enough for now. biggrin.gif

peace

Hudler may get his chance soon if Lang is out for any period of time. As you said Quincey played so there is room for Hudler in Detroit. This would suck for me however if he is in Detroit since Friday there is a very good chance now that I will be at the Peoria game.

I tried really hard Barnesy! but I couldn't find Eriksson on the ice. I could find him skating around in warmups but other than that he didn't leave much of an impression, good or bad.

Ugh, so much for the future of Sweden. Thanks for the report though, NN.

Nice report NN, That was the worst i have seen the Griffs play this year, they looked really tired and lethargic(sp). I thought Bootland, Hudler, Ellis and Flipper all played pretty well last night. Bootland had a nice assist on MacLeans goal and he was excellent on the Pk. The thing that i like about Flipper is that he doesn't shy away from playing physical, he wins battles along the boards and he is strong on his skates. Ellis is solid aswell he never stops working. The way Quincey is playing right now it is hard to believe that this is his first year in GR. NN did you pay any attention to Micheal Hackert last night, from what i have seen he looks terrible out there, he doesn't hit, shoot, dig in the corners or anything he is taking up a roster spot in GR that Big Snake could have had. At least Big Snake would hit and fight and serve a purpose on the roster.

Nice report NN, That was the worst i have seen the Griffs play this year, they looked really tired and lethargic(sp). I thought Bootland, Hudler, Ellis and Flipper all played pretty well last night. Bootland had a nice assist on MacLeans goal and he was excellent on the Pk. The thing that i like about Flipper is that he doesn't shy away from playing physical, he wins battles along the boards and he is strong on his skates. Ellis is solid aswell he never stops working. The way Quincey is playing right now it is hard to believe that this is his first year in GR. NN did you pay any attention to Micheal Hackert last night, from what i have seen he looks terrible out there, he doesn't hit, shoot, dig in the corners or anything he is taking up a roster spot in GR that Big Snake could have had. At least Big Snake would hit and fight and serve a purpose on the roster.

But isn't that typical of this organization? They would rather have a "scorer" doing absolutely nothing on the fourth line, instead of having a role player that can contribute night in a night out even while recieving a minimum of ice time.

But isn't that typical of this organization? They would rather have a "scorer" doing absolutely nothing on the fourth line, instead of having a role player that can contribute night in a night out even while recieving a minimum of ice time.

Yeah it is, but the thing is Hackert doesn't even look like a scorer, to be honest i don't know what he is.

Edited by Hatcher#2

Yeah it is, but the thing is Hackert doesn't even look like a scorer, to be honest i don't know what he is.

He used to be a goalscorer in the DEL, which isn't considered a top league by any standards but still. I remember him breaking a leg not too long ago. Might have something to do with it.

He used to be a goalscorer in the DEL, which isn't considered a top league by any standards but still. I remember him breaking a leg not too long ago. Might have something to do with it.

It is zee lousy amerikaner biere...