• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_mcgrath88

3 Way Deal Involving The Wings, Bolts, and Ducks

Rate this topic

They can't take away Fischer's contract and money though. As of now, he's still under contract, so they still have to pay him. We can't use his portion of the money until he retires. Putting a player on IR doesn't give Holland the right to stop paying him. So the Wings will have to use anything they can with the $1 million they have.

Is that part of the new rules or something? I haven't heard about that. If it's been a rule for a while, can you inlighten me on it. I don't ever remember hearing that.

Yeah, it's part of the new CBA.

If a player is out for an extended amount of time, you may sign/trade for a player of equal or less value than the injured player. Not sure on the amount of time the player must be injured for this to come into effect. I'm also not sure about if a guy like Lids got hurt if you could replace him with like 2 or 3 guys.

Then just a general question then, let's say the doctor "thinks" that Fischer won't be albe to play the rest of the season, but can continue next season, and we trade for a marginal defenseman. What happens with that situation if the doctor finds out in like Feburary that Fischer can play again? Just an ideal question. If you don't know, it's okay. I find that rule interesting anyways.

Then just a general question then, let's say the doctor "thinks" that Fischer won't be albe to play the rest of the season, but can continue next season, and we trade for a marginal defenseman. What happens with that situation if the doctor finds out in like Feburary that Fischer can play again? Just an ideal question. If you don't know, it's okay. I find that rule interesting anyways.

Hmm... no clue.

I also believe that we won't doing any deals with Tampa Bay or Anaheim any time soon. In recent years, it shown that Anaheim and Tampa Bay have nothing to offer us anything that we would want. Also, past deals with both teams have ended in disaster. The last time we did deals with Tampa Bay was the year we got Chelios. We got Bill Ranford for a draft pick, and he was okay, but not great, and he was also at the end of his career. We also got Wendel Clark for Kevin Hodson. Hodson proved to be worthless. Couldn't make the team in Tampa Bay, and then got traded to Vancouver, and couldn't make the team there, so he retired. I thought that Clark was good for the short time he was in Detroit, but Holland was pleased with them, so he let him go. And the trade I can remember before that was Dino for a draft pick. The last three times we traded with Anaheim was we gave future considerations to them for the return for Doug Houda, only for a back-up defenseman experience in case anybody got hurt. Before that, Pushor for Mironov, and that trade was okay, but Mironov wasn't going to fit in our system. And before that, was we got Stu Grimson I believe for Bobby Dollas. All Grimson could do was get to many penalty minutes. With all of that, I don't see Holland making deals with Anaheim or Tampa Bay any time in the near future.

We wouldn't trade our number one goaltender. That'd be stupid. Just use common sense. If you have a decent starting goaltender, why trade him when your back-up sucks and only does average at best. For people who think that if we trade away Legace is going to solve the problems for the wings this year, dream on. I see Legace staring the whole year and in the playoffs, and Osgood being back-up. Howard will spend his whole time in the AHL when both Legace and Osgood are healthy. Holland will NOT trade any of them.

We wouldn't trade our number one goaltender. That'd be stupid. Just use common sense. If you have a decent starting goaltender, why trade him when your back-up sucks and only does average at best. For people who think that if we trade away Legace is going to solve the problems for the wings this year, dream on. I see Legace staring the whole year and in the playoffs, and Osgood being back-up. Howard will spend his whole time in the AHL when both Legace and Osgood are healthy. Holland will NOT trade any of them.

Both of the Wings goaltenders have done average, at best. Osgood started bad but is getting better. Manny started well and then played poorly. Both goalies usually fair as good or bad as the team plays.

I do agree though that Howard should stay in the AHL, and it's unlikely either Manny or Ozzy are going anywhere. Neither one has much trade value, and they're both relatively cheap. (assuming Manny plays at least half the season. Otherwise he's overpaid).

Howard is back in GR and Mac has been called up. Our D is soft and nobody plays the body -- thus the rut they are in.

Wow. I like this guy.

Agreed, our D is way too soft. I wish some people from this board could be GM...

Wow. I like this guy.

Agreed, our D is way too soft. I wish some people from this board could be GM...

after seeing some of the ideas on here,..no you don't lol. Anyway yes we desperatly need some hardcore, i'll kick your tail D. I'll keep the same song,..witt or salei.

I'm guessing that this new CBA is a lot like the NBA's CBA when it comes to player injuries and salaries.

If a player suffers an injury that will put them out of action for an extended amount of time (longer than whatever the set timeframe is), then the team gets an Injured Player Exception or something like that (I forget the proper name), which allows them to sign a player to as much or less money than the injured player was due to make.

In the event that the team uses the exception and signs another player, and then the injured player is OK to come back, then the team would have to clear out enough cap space to fit the returning player's contract under the salary cap before he can play again.

EXAMPLE:

The salary cap is $50 million. A team has a total salary of $50. A player who is making $3 million gets injured and is going to be out for a while. The team then signs someone to a $2 million contract to replace the injured player. The team then has the equivalent of a $49 million team salary. If the injured player comes back, then the team has to cut enough salary to get to a total team salary of $47 million, which would give them the $3 million in cap space needed to fit the injured players $3 million contract under the cap. If they can't clear out enough cap room, then the injured player wouldn't be able to return to the lineup.

That would be the only reason I would be concerned about the Wings signing someone to replace Fischer. If it turns out that Fischer can return at some point, then we will have to get rid of some salary before we can get Fischer back on the ice.

This is not the year we go out goalie shopping nor shop any goalies around. 2 years ago we had to many goalies and we let the best ones get away. This time around our ever reliable back up goalie Manny Legace has shown that he can win games. One thing he hasnt been given the chance to do yet is play the season as the starter. The most games he's played in his career for one season is in and around the 30 game mark. Lets keep him with Osgood because we know Ozzie can produce the Ws even if they're ugly 4 goal against games. But we also cant forget that Ozzie and Legz have played together before when we won the cup in 98 so lets not just to conclusion that Kenny will ship either of them anytime soon.

And then....

We have Jimmy Howard. He is a great tender that just needs experience and games under his belt. Like one of you said in this thread earlier in the NCAA you only get to play so many games a week. There is absolutly no doubt in my mind that 1 or 2 years down the road he will be suiting up with the Wings game in and game out so expect Jimmie to be our man of the future.

This time around our ever reliable back up goalie Manny Legace has shown that he can win games. One thing he hasnt been given the chance to do yet is play the season as the starter. The most games he's played in his career for one season is in and around the 30 game mark. Lets keep him with Osgood because we know Ozzie can produce the Ws even if they're ugly 4 goal against games. But we also cant forget that Ozzie and Legz have played together before when we won the cup in 98 so lets not just to conclusion that Kenny will ship either of them anytime soon.

2 things:

Legace hasnt gotten the chance to start for a large amount of games because he has been hurt. He doesnt have the endurance to be a number one.

Legace and Osgood havent played together before this year. Legace's first season with Detroit was 99-00. Osgood's backup in 98 was either Maracle or Hodson, I dont remember..

This time around our ever reliable back up goalie Manny Legace has shown that he can win games. One thing he hasnt been given the chance to do yet is play the season as the starter. The most games he's played in his career for one season is in and around the 30 game mark. Lets keep him with Osgood because we know Ozzie can produce the Ws even if they're ugly 4 goal against games. But we also cant forget that Ozzie and Legz have played together before when we won the cup in 98 so lets not just to conclusion that Kenny will ship either of them anytime soon.

2 things:

Legace hasnt gotten the chance to start for a large amount of games because he has been hurt. He doesnt have the endurance to be a number one.

Legace and Osgood havent played together before this year. Legace's first season with Detroit was 99-00. Osgood's backup in 98 was either Maracle or Hodson, I dont remember..

You are wrong... check your sourses biggrin.gif

Edited by Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

The thing that many bashers need to remember is that even though osgood has been number one in the teams hes played on, he has only played 30 more games in the last three seasons combined than manny has.

Also, Osgood had god awful numbers on those teams...

manny has Osgood beaten in every catergory in the last three seasons, that is saying a lot

Osgood hasnt gotten a thing on Manny regarding this season, or the last three years in fact.

However, I have full trust in Babcock's decisions, and I believe that whichever goalie is playing better come playoff time should get the nod, even if its Howard or MacDonald.

Look at JS Gigure... it CAN be done.... And he was on a s***ty team...

BUT they DID have Babcock tongue.gif

Edited by Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

I don't see how you can really relate Osgood's numbers with Legace's numbers, because Legace has played at best half of the amount of games that Osgood has in the past three years. Yeah, Osgood's numbers were crap, but that's because he played for the New York Islanders and the St. Louis Blues, and they weren't any better then when Osgood played for them.

But yes, I do trust Babcock to play however is playing the best, especially during playoff time.