• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 bringback91

bringback91

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ December 8, 2005 - 03:33PM)
QUOTE (bringback91 @ December 8, 2005 - 11:39AM)
QUOTE (norrisnick @ December 8, 2005 - 01:36PM)
From a business perspective you also need to take the "everyone was coming after me with torches and a noose" into consideration.  He's a beloved fixture on a successful team.  Lidstrom helps make Ilitch money and helps Holland/Babcock win games. 

peace

True, he definently helps make money, but I don't think the Wings have much trouble in the making money department. Besides, I know he's obviously very popular, but I don't think they sold 7.6 million in Lidstrom jerseys this year.

And he also hasn't been completely worthless on the ice so as to necessitate $7.6M in jersey sales to make him "worth it."

peace

No, but Nicks performance isn't what brings the money in. That money will be rolling in years after Nicks gone. Look at the waiting list for season tickets alone. I don't know if you ever played sports but, you have to admitt one player doesn't make a whole team. Look how his game goes down when he's stuck with Lilja. That's why I think getting 2 or 3 good players is better than having 1 great player. Less ice time for your worst players.

#42 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (bringback91 @ December 8, 2005 - 03:40PM)
Less ice time for your worst players.

Totally out of context but I must say it...

Yet Chelios still manages to find the ice time to make bad clears and giveaways in front of his net.

I agree with the less Ice time for your worst players. I think Rivers should play instead of Lilja, IMO Lilja is the weaker of the two and more detrimental to the teams performance.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#43 bringback91

bringback91

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (OsGOD @ December 8, 2005 - 03:53PM)
Totally out of context but I must say it...

Yet Chelios still manages to find the ice time to make bad clears and giveaways in front of his net.

I agree with the less Ice time for your worst players. I think Rivers should play instead of Lilja, IMO Lilja is the weaker of the two and more detrimental to the teams performance.

Agreed about Rivers. I kind of like Cheli though, sure he makes mistakes but, come on the dude is old and he's still hanging in there. He was slated to be the 6th D man before all these injurys, and I think he's TRIED to step his game up. I think he'll be more valuble when we get further along in the season and hopefully get some more guys (thourgh recovery or trade) and he gets less ice time.

#44 fatcat6

fatcat6

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

Lilja has been a huge disapointment this year. I kinda knew who he was when we signed him, but more for his size. I thought that he might of fitted in well with teh Wings, because he played with Nashville a few years prior to this year. And being a Nashville Predator for a year or two before becoming a Wings, I thought that he was a good pick-up, because Nashville likes to play fast and tough hockey. Lilja makes so many mistakes. Most of them being dumb turnovers and bad giveaways. Rivers should definitly play in place of Lilja. Lilja has been the worst pick-up this off-season by the Wings, but he was supposed to be better than this when we signed him.