• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Never_Retire_Steve

Trade Osgood?

Rate this topic

Now I know that this is a very very touchy subject on this board but I thought about this today as Dan Cloutier got injured and Lalime got placed on waivers. There are a few teams out there that need a #1 goaltender. Although I am not a big Osgood fan (Never have been, even when they won cup) he did play very well in the last few games (exception tonight of course). We do have a solid #1 in my opinion in Legace and I think that Howard has a lot of potential. We need someone to replace Fischer on the blueline. However, I do not think that Osgood has much value right now, he needs to get in some games and prove himself before we could get a good trade for him. Any thoughts?

I really think we have a goaltending issue. Then again, the same can be said about our defense. Obviously without Fischer returning any time soon this season, the Wings need to do some shopping if possible. Tonight for example, 3 on 0 was pathetic. Now I can't blame Osgood for that one but I would of liked to see him stone some shooters once in a while on a breakaway. Regardless, I think the Wings should strongly consider grabbing Luongo (as he wants out of Florida). Legace is always getting injured IMO. Osgood has been alright but hasn't looked any good really. Having nights with 4+ GA. Then again I may be misleading myself because the D is probably weaker than I think it is on the Red Wings. I really don't know what to do in this situation. It's going to be a tough decision for management if they are planing on making a move. I believe that at least one our goaltenders should be traded to aquire another player or for other reasons. Howard would most likely serve as a great backup goaltender so I say either trade Osgood or Legace.

Why do you keep stating that you'd like to see him stop breakaways? He's stopped 2 out of the 3 he's faced in the last 2 games. That's pretty darn good IMO. Especially when your defense keeps leaving you out to dry.

I think it's really hilarious when the second the Wings lose it's all Osgood's fault and everyone asks for him to be traded. Ay yi yi. rolleyes.gif

Why do you keep stating that you'd like to see him stop breakaways? He's stopped 2 out of the 3 he's faced in the last 2 games. That's pretty darn good IMO. Especially when your defense keeps leaving you out to dry.

I think it's really hilarious when the second the Wings lose it's all Osgood's fault and everyone asks for him to be traded. Ay yi yi.  rolleyes.gif

I haven't seen Osgood stop any this season so....well maybe 1

Anyhow, a trade needs to be done. The defense and/or goaltending has issues.

Edited by aflac9262

I think it's really hilarious when the second the Wings lose it's all Osgood's fault and everyone asks for him to be traded. Ay yi yi. rolleyes.gif

It has absolutely nothing about the wings losing. It has everything to do with the 7-6, 7-5, 7-4 losses that Detroit's been having this year. First off I want to say that I'm a goaltender myself so I know what it's like to be hung out to dry. The issue here is team defence not only goaltending (although that is definately part of the issue). The reason I brought this up is because there are a lot of trade rumours flying around right now and there are definately teams looking so we don't want to close all our doors here. I'm confident in Legace myself but a lot of people have issues with him as well saying he isn't a bonafide #1. Either way, we aren't going to win the cup by losing games 7-6 come playoff time.

And please do not jump all over me for being an Osgood hater, I just see a possible opportunity for the wings to get a good trade. That is all.

alien.gif

I like the sound of a trade regarding Osgood. It isn't that he is horrible, it is just that Legace can do everything--and more--that Osgood does. While our team does have a goaltending issue, I do not see Osgood fixing it, so lets move to the next best thing: fix the defensive issue. Good thought Never_Retire_Steve

And, btw, these "ideas" about trading Osgood exist all day everyday, not just after games where he doesn't play great and the wings lose. The game wasn't his fault, but it never makes you look great when you let in a soft goal, despite how well you may play. But right now I am open to a trade of a goalkeeper, but I doubt us send a #1 goalie to Vancouver. Their a playoff foe and I doubt we would help them out in perhaps the most important position on the ice. But hey, if the trade is appealing enough lets do it.

I like the sound of a trade regarding Osgood. It isn't that he is horrible, it is just that Legace can do everything--and more--that Osgood does. While our team does have a goaltending issue, I do not see Osgood fixing it, so lets move to the next best thing: fix the defensive issue. Good thought Never_Retire_Steve

And, btw, these "ideas" about trading Osgood exist all day everyday, not just after games where he doesn't play great and the wings lose. The game wasn't his fault, but it never makes you look great when you let in a soft goal, despite how well you may play. But right now I am open to a trade of a goalkeeper, but I doubt us send a #1 goalie to Vancouver. Their a playoff foe and I doubt we would help them out in perhaps the most important position on the ice. But hey, if the trade is appealing enough lets do it.

Legace is better than Osgood? He's everything and more? Right. Because exactly what has Manny done in his NHL career besides back up? I'm not hating on Manny because he actually is one of my faves but when you say that he's better than Osgood and MORE? That just boggles my mind in which I have to respond to it. How is Manny better? What's he done?

Legace can do everything Osgood can and more? Really, that must be why he's a career backup. I know what your response is going to be, he's never had the chance to prove it. If he was starting goalie material, he would have done it already. The Wings would have started him, or another team would have made an offer Kenny couldn't refuse.

Osgood can't stop people on the breakaway? He stoned Ilya f**king Kovalchuk tonight. The same Kovalchuk who's one of the best pure goal scorers in the league.

Legace can do everything Osgood can and more? Really, that must be why he's a career backup. I know what your response is going to be, he's never had the chance to prove it. If he was starting goalie material, he would have done it already. The Wings would have started him, or another team would have made an offer Kenny couldn't refuse.

Osgood can't stop people on the breakaway? He stoned Ilya f**king Kovalchuk tonight. The same Kovalchuk who's one of the best pure goal scorers in the league.

THANK YOU. Geez, finally someone knows what they are talking bout.

Because exactly what has Manny done in his NHL career besides back up?

Hmm, people can no longer have their own opinions? We all have to think Osgood is better than Legace. No one was complaining about Manny during his hot streak, hmm. Wanna know why Manny hasn't done anything in his career? Because he's backed-up some of the best goaltenders in the league...hasek, cujo.I did not even watch the game tonight. I had class. I didn't know about breakaways or "soft goals" or what not. Good for him for saving a breakaway, goaltenders are paid to do so. My comments have nothing to do about tonights game, just my personal opinion of him.If you are so for Osgood why did you come into a post entitled "trade osgood?" You didn't expect to find complements about him, did you? The guys a good goalie, but he hasn't done anything this year to make me think he is better than Manny. Yes, in the past he's been better. But it's a new year and Osgood is having one of his worst years (yes, www.nhl.com has posted that his GGA and Sv% are the second highest and lowest (perspectively) of his career. Just don't think he has what it takes any longer and whats the point of having 3 goaltenders? I am open to the trade, like I said in my last post, of a goaltender (not specifically Osgood). I just think we need a d-man, badly. And if Osgood must go, than I wouldn't be too upset about it.

And please do not jump all over me for being an Osgood hater, I just see a possible opportunity for the wings to get a good trade. That

I feel ya Never_Retire_Steve.

Edited by Schneids_is_awesome

Ok, first of all, saying Manny hasn't done anything in his career isn't the way to approach this. Has he won a Cup - No. Does that mean that every Cup winning goaltender is more valuable than Manny Legace - come on now. It's about who's better for this team right now. And whatever the reason may be, Chris Osgood ISN'T the guy. I'll agree that the team plays better in front of Legace, and even Howard, but for anyone to say Chris Osgood is the best goalie we have is mind-boggling.

Chris Osgood is worth two things on the trade block - Jack and Sh*t. I imagine some teams would certainly take a chance on him, but he's not going to get us someone uber-valuable on the blueline in return. If we WERE to trade him, it wouldn't be immediately after a game that we lost with the kind of score that we did, it's hard to sell ANYONE on our defensive corp with 7 goals against.

I'm all for him appearing on another team - but I don't think he's worth anything on the market.

A)It has absolutely nothing about the wings losing. It has everything to do with the 7-6, 7-5, 7-4 losses that Detroit's been having this year.

B)Either way, we aren't going to win the cup by losing games 7-6 come playoff time.

C)And please do not jump all over me

A) Bing. The wings haven't otherwise allowed 7 goals against this year...

B)If we win enough of them, we will...

C)Don't make unfair demands

Hmm, people can no longer have their own opinions? We all have to think Osgood is better than Legace. No one was complaining about Manny during his hot streak, hmm. Wanna know why Manny hasn't done anything in his career? Because he's backed-up some of the best goaltenders in the league...hasek, cujo.I did not even watch the game tonight. I had class. I didn't know about breakaways or "soft goals" or what not. Good for him for saving a breakaway, goaltenders are paid to do so. My comments have nothing to do about tonights game, just my personal opinion of him.If you are so for Osgood why did you come into a post entitled "trade osgood?" You didn't expect to find complements about him, did you? The guys a good goalie, but he hasn't done anything this year to make me think he is better than Manny. Yes, in the past he's been better. But it's a new year and Osgood is having one of his worst years (yes, www.nhl.com has posted that his GGA and Sv% are the second highest and lowest (perspectively) of his career. Just don't think he has what it takes any longer and whats the point of having 3 goaltenders? I am open to the trade, like I said in my last post, of a goaltender (not specifically Osgood). I just think we need a d-man, badly. And if Osgood must go, than I wouldn't be too upset about it.

They have three goalies at the moment because Manny is injured. That's normal.

Osgood is having the worst season of his career? Where do you get that from? He's played around 11 games and already you are gonna make that judgement that this is his worst season? You say he hasn't done anything so far this season that's been anywhere near as good as Manny? Well, when Osgood starts playing as much as Manny did in the beginning of the season then we can have that arguement. He's been rock solid in his last three starts, and was awesome for the Wings in the third against the Thrashers.

Also, saying why Manny hasn't done anything because he's backed up such great goaltenders really isn't such a great excuse. If he was so great then he would of been starting elsewhere no matter who he was backing up. Why didn't other teams go after him? Why did he make it to the NHL at such a late stage? Manny is a great back up goaltender, ain't no one in the league better than him at that and that's the truth. I think he's played great so far this year, but my problem is that you are comparing him to Osgood. You can't compare a career back up to someone that's won cups, that's been starter for most of his career, that's been to all star games, that's won the jennings trophy..etc.

And what does me looking into a "trade Ozzie" thread have to do with me being so for him? He's my favorite, everyone knows it. I came in here cuz I wanted to see what you guys were posting. Ain't no harm in that, and that in no way shape or form takes away from me being the big Chris Osgood fan that I am.

Guest Tunbo Batman

the wings should trade away ALL their goalies, even those from the minors, and just play the games goalie-less, with the net facing backwards. there won't be any more goaltending issues. of course, these forums would die off pretty quickly since EVERY f**king THREAD degenerates into a goalie war after 3 posts, no matter what the starting subject was. Example :

Qwopti : "I like flowers."

Aserty : "Yeah, flowers are cool, I heard that Osgood likes them too."

Zaqwsx : "OZBAD = T3Hsu)(o/2z, TRAED IHM!1!!1!!1"

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I think it's really hilarious when the second the Wings lose it's all Osgood's fault and everyone asks for him to be traded. Ay yi yi.  rolleyes.gif

It has absolutely nothing about the wings losing. It has everything to do with the 7-6, 7-5, 7-4 losses that Detroit's been having this year. First off I want to say that I'm a goaltender myself so I know what it's like to be hung out to dry. The issue here is team defence not only goaltending (although that is definately part of the issue). The reason I brought this up is because there are a lot of trade rumours flying around right now and there are definately teams looking so we don't want to close all our doors here. I'm confident in Legace myself but a lot of people have issues with him as well saying he isn't a bonafide #1. Either way, we aren't going to win the cup by losing games 7-6 come playoff time.

And please do not jump all over me for being an Osgood hater, I just see a possible opportunity for the wings to get a good trade. That is all.

alien.gif

As far as I remember this is the first time this season the wings have given up 7 goals....umm, yeah, im pretty sure of it. And 3 of those goals you can't blame Osgood for. two different 5 on 3's and a 3 on 0 breakaway...not exactly something that really anyone expects a goaltender to stop. Pretty much you are EXPECTED to score on a 5 on 3 every time as well as a 3 on 0. If you don't you are a horrible shooter and should be caned.

Don't get me wrong,I love Legace....I think he is definitely our number one if he stays healthy, but I don't believe Howard is ready to handle himself as a number one if Legace continues to go down, and Osgood can. Remember that he himself isnt exactly 100%. A groin injury isnt something that easily goes away. Especially not for a goaltender.

I say trade Howard... Why on earth did Babs decide to pull Howard after only 3 goals.. To save his stats from getting let up to high? or to protect everyones opinion of him? The dude wasn't having a horrible game... Babs let Ozzie suffer giving up 6 and not pulling him before. Howard is damn luck Ozzie was put in to be the scapegoat in this game! Maybe babs feels howard is too young to face the reality that teams can and will score multiple games against you.

Ozzie coming in cold, facing pretty much a solid 5-3 for the first 2 goals and then a PP 3 on 0 for the third one? Yeah, Jimmy was VERY LUCKY tonight. Considering all the goals scored in the first 2 periods, I am happy they were only held to 1 more the rest of game.

Edited by OsGOD

Guest shanny14

Legace is better than Osgood? He's everything and more? Right. Because exactly what has Manny done in his NHL career besides back up? I'm not hating on Manny because he actually is one of my faves but when you say that he's better than Osgood and MORE? That just boggles my mind in which I have to respond to it. How is Manny better? What's he done?

You always come on here and antequate the good marking of a goaltender is by them winning a stanley cup. Because it seems like that is what you bring up most often. (that Ozzie one a cup)

And all i can say is that in '98 osgood was ok. His mediocre play and the great teammates in front of him won hime a stanley cup.

But ya know, not to be hating on Osgood but I believe, now in the present and future that manny is the best fit as a starting goaltender.

Manny needs his turn and truth be told the reason why osgood was brought back in the first place was that they could not afford anything better. they had just enough in the cap to afford him.

I dont claim to have ever liked osgood and never will/ definitely not and ozzie loyalist here.

I think for now Ozzie needs to relax as soon as manny can get back. Meaning let ozzie warm the bench seat and let manny have the position in which the man is entitled to. Osgood had his chance.

Ya knbow, I must say though that his game against the pens was awesome! NOT!

They are the suckiest team in the league and ozzie did not face many shots. the puck was in pittsburgh's end most of the game.

Buyt there is only one thing I will give him props for- and that is letting in the one and only goal that was in his net that game. it was a beauty biggrin.gif

But hey Im not hating on him.. just giving the facts as i see them and any person can respect that.

But hey one question and last and final thought.

Where were all the osgood loyalist when he lost in the playoffs?

The answer: Booings and throwing cups on the ice! (ECT.)

I REST MY CASE!

Osgood is a good goalie, but with that said, he has no trade value, just like Thibault, Lalime, Sean Burke ect.. They can all do the job, but it's eaiser to just waive them.