• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

Bowl games in general

Rate this topic

You're right, I didn't see the game. Was busy driving home. But I'm a Michigan fan and I still say, if you lose your bowl game under whatever circumstances, you have bigger things to worry about than if you should have gone to a better one. It just sounds like huge sour grapes to complain about it.

The complaining about the lack of an Outback Bowl bid occured LONG before the Alamo Bowl was played. It isn't sour grapes. Other than that, yes, there are "bigger fish to fry" in order to get Michigan's ship righted.

Two things--

Michigan was cheated out of the bowl game. If you couldn't see that, you obviously didn't see the game.

Michigan had an identical record to Iowa, and BEAT Iowa AT Iowa, and was ranked higher than Iowa in all rankings, not to mention Iowa had more recently played Florida and more recently played in the Outback bowl.

So how does Iowa go to the Outback bowl ahead of Michigan? NOTHING this season or in recent history ranked Iowa above the Wolverines in the Big Ten or otherwise.

You're right, I didn't see the game. Was busy driving home. But I'm a Michigan fan and I still say, if you lose your bowl game under whatever circumstances, you have bigger things to worry about than if you should have gone to a better one. It just sounds like huge sour grapes to complain about it.

Michigan had its worst season since 1984. That was so long ago, the Tigers were actually good. They lost their bowl game, they lost to Ohio State, and they lost the Little Brown Jug. By Michigan standards it was a crummy season. They got bigger fish to fry than whether they should have been in the Outback Bowl or not. It's not like it's the BCS. It's not like it's even one step below the BCS in the Citrus Bowl (side note: f*** Capital One). It's the Outback Bowl. Better to spend the energy complaining about the defense that couldn't make a crucial stop all season.

Sorry, I don't like seeing Michigan have to burn two timeouts to get reviews on plays that should have been reviewed anyway, especially when one call is reversed and the other SHOULD have been.

Or BLATANT pass interference penalties that are not called, and as a result of this Michigan gives up the ball instead of getting a first down inside the Nebraska 5.

Or even worse, when a penalty is NOT called on the final play of the game, when Nebraska's entire team mobbed the field DURING play while MICHIGAN had the ball, and had they not rushed the field Manningham would have had a clear path down the field. As it stood, Michigan made it to the 13 yard line and would have had another down from inside the ten had a penalty been called, as the game cannot end on a defensive penalty.

They gave at least one of the timeouts back. I'm sure they gave back the timeout on the replay that was a reversed Nebraska touchdown. And both schools had men from the sidelines on the field during the final play. If they had followed the letter of the law there, they would have been offsetting penalties.

It's the Alamo Bowl, man. One of many sloshing around in Bowl Soup before New Year's. Of more concern to me is why did the 67th best offense in the nation (84th in yardage) put up 32 points on Michigan's defense? Just another loss to a mediocre team. Chalk it up to a lost season and put that one behind us.

PS: The Sugar Bowl, despite the furious comeback by Georgia, had absolutely nothing on the Orange Bowl. Triple OT, suspense galore thanks to the missed kicks, an amazing defensive battle, two teams absolutely playing with everything they've got, the two best coaches ever prowling the sidelines furiously, and bonus: Florida State loses. What more could you ask for in a game? How about a phenomenal display of athleticism on the longest punt return in Orange Bowl history and a last-second-of-the-half fantastic TD catch by a fifth-year senior walk-on who never played high school ball? How about an atmosphere in the stands that was positively electric even before the game and didn't slow down for the whole game? The West Virginia-Georgia game was fun but it will soon be forgotten. That Orange Bowl was a timeless classic.

OK, I started this thread as an excuse to brag about the UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA (GO HOOS GO) which beat Minnesota in the Music City Bowl.  Laugh if you will, but next year the tradition-rich Peach Bowl becomes the who-cares Chick-Fil-A Bowl.  YECCHH!!!

But the rest of the bowl season's been decent, too.  With some new teams showing up in bowl games like Akron, Arkansas State, and Rutgers, I think it's interesting.  And Akron got robbed in the Motor City Bowl, in my opinion.

Too bad Michigan couldn't lock up the Alamo Bowl.  Ugh.  What a disappointing season.  For the rest of bowl season, I'll be pulling for Notre Dame, South Florida (because a friend of mine is absolutely insufferable when NC State wins and I can really give it to him if they lose) and of course, Texas to beat USC.

i am looking forward to seeing notre dame against ohio state. I think you're going to learn a lot about both teams in that game. winner should be a top 5 team next year.

Sorry, but USC is going to knock texas all around the rose bowl. USC is going to win by 20 plus. The trojans might as well play new england in the super bowl....ha ha...i wish. It would be a helluva game.

eh? tongue.gif

WOW!! What a game! The Grandaddy Of Them All comes through with an amazing game yet again! The BCS really shone this year. Brilliant matchups and brilliant games. The Orange Bowl was best for sheer suspense and gutty performances, but the Rose Bowl was for all the marbles, it was the matchup everyone was waiting for and lived up to ALL the hype. Well, except for that bit where everyone wanted to prematurely crown USC the Greatest Team Ever. Hook 'Em Horns! Congrats to UT! Vince Young absolutely stole the show.

WHAT A GAME...

I think that you couldn't have scripted a better finish, regardless of the final score. Had Texas made a last minute push and failed, it still would have been a spectacular story. Even more so now that they've won, and made their statement on the year.

Tonight was also very special, as my grandfather is an Alumni of UT. He hasn't been this happy in a long time, certainly since before the passing of my grandmother. It was great to see his face light up when Young scored the final touchdown, and as the final seconds ticked off the clock.

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!

Since about 20 minutes after the final seconds had expired in Columbus September 10, 2005...I have been rooting for the Texas Longhorns to win the National Championship. Glad to see them do it, makes me feel better about that game. Well, not really, but I'm telling myself it is.

Texas played a great game last night but you would be foolish if you didnt look back at that game and see a missed opportunity for USC to blow Texas off the field in the first quarter. I am surprised USC didnt capitalize, but the outcome is what it is. Its typical that they start slow and finish strong. Pete Carroll gave away the 3 points to tie the game with the 4th and 1 miscue in the first. Reggie Bush gave away the go-ahead FG or TD with his Antwan Randel El lateral on a break away. Props to Texas, especially Vince Young for his repeat MVP performance in the Rose Bowl. He stole the show.

Not sure how VY translates into an NFL QB. He "looks" like a better version of McNabb, however VY struggles with his accuracy at times. I say this knowing he led the nation in efficiency. He wont be in the same scheme when he plays on Sundays though.

Texas played a great game last night but you would be foolish if you didnt look back at that game and see a missed opportunity for USC to blow Texas off the field in the first quarter. I am surprised USC didnt capitalize, but the outcome is what it is. Its typical that they start slow and finish strong. Pete Carroll gave away the 3 points to tie the game with the 4th and 1 miscue in the first. Reggie Bush gave away the go-ahead FG or TD with his Antwan Randel El lateral on a break away. Props to Texas, especially Vince Young for his repeat MVP performance in the Rose Bowl. He stole the show.

Not sure how VY translates into an NFL QB. He "looks" like a better version of McNabb, however VY struggles with his accuracy at times. I say this knowing he led the nation in efficiency. He wont be in the same scheme when he plays on Sundays though.

And you'd be equally foolish not to see how Texas had equally many blown opportunities early in the game. The fumbled punt; another fumble on a crucial second down play deep in USC territory which left them 3rd and 24; a decision on their part to go for it on 4th down and miss.

After watching that game, I'm absolutely conVinced (ha ha tongue.gif ) it doesn't matter what team drafts him or what scheme he's in - Vince Young has got to be one of the all-time greats. The Heisman went to the wrong person this year. Reggie Bush is supremely talented (as evidenced by that run and dive for a touchdown) and no doubt Young is surrounded by an NFL-caliber offense. But on that final drive, when 94,000 people are keyed in on one person, and half those 94,000 are undoubtedly filled with this huge sense of dread and impending doom...... When Texas faced 4th-and-5 just outside the end zone, there couldn't have been a soul watching who didn't think "If Texas scores, it will be Vince and Vince alone, running it in - and if Vince takes off, he WILL score." Vince Young has IT. GREATNESS. Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway, Brett Favre, Vince Young.

And you'd be equally foolish not to see how Texas had equally many blown opportunities early in the game.

The Heisman went to the wrong person this year. Reggie Bush is supremely talented...

I agree about the equal missed opportunities.

Reggie Bush lost a lot of money last night. He may be a talented running back but I would not choose him as number one pick. He likes to put on a show by hurdling people and making dramatic dives into the end zone. He'll get his clock cleaned if he tries hurdling people in the NFL. He always ran out of bounds before getting hit instead of driving forward for extra yards. Those traits will not get him far in the NFL IMHO. And anyone who tries to say he's better than Barry Sanders...PLEASE!!!

Last night for USC was the exact same scenario it was for Michigan and me watching it last year. Texas gets the ball back only needing 6 to take the lead late, it didn't matter in either Rose Bowl where Texas got the ball back at, all I could think was 's**t Young is going to score, and Michigan/USC probably won't have enough time left to score.' This year's comeback was easier to handle for obvious reasons though, I don't want to break his legs like last year. wink.gif The man is seriously a monster though, he was unstoppable last night.

Oh and thumbdown.gif to Matt Leinart for his 'we're still the better team' comment after the game. Sorry Mr. 37-2 but everyone loses eventually, suck it up.

Edited by Happy Pancake

...Vince Young has IT.  GREATNESS.  Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway, Brett Favre, Vince Young.

Please, for the love of God, please tell me you're joking...

Am I the only one that doesn't think Young's game will translate effectively to the NFL? His passing mechanics may work in the college game but won't in the pros and he sure as hell won't be out-running DBs and LBs as often as he did over the last two years.

I don't think he'll be horrible in the NFL by any stretch -- but "greatness"? Please.

I'd still take Matt Lienart, who reminds me of Tom Brady, over Young.

HappyPancake --

As for Reggie Bush... I strongly believe he's going to be something else in the NFL. He's special. As for Leinart's comments, I guess it could be taken as sour grapes, but I think he meant more that USC was the better "team" in regards to Young's "freakish athlete"-routine to pretty much single-handedly take Texas to the title.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Young's game will translate effectively to the NFL? His passing mechanics may work in the college game but won't in the pros and he sure as hell won't be out-running DBs and LBs as often as he did over the last two years.

I don't think he'll be horrible in the NFL by any stretch -- but "greatness"? Please.

HappyPancake --

As for Reggie Bush... I strongly believe he's going to be something else in the NFL. He's special. As for Leinart's comments, I guess it could be taken as sour grapes, but I think he meant more that USC was the better "team" in regards to Young's "freakish athlete"-routine to pretty much single-handedly take Texas to the title.

Well, I did think Ryan Leaf was a better pro prospect than Peyton Manning when they both came out....so it's a good thing I'm not a scout. And granted, his NFL wide receivers won't be as wide open as his guys were last night....good Lord, every time Vince threw a pass there wasn't a Trojan within 10 yards. You're not the only one who watches him throw and think "hot potato".

But it comes down to this for me. USC has the ball, up by 5 and needing to run out the clock, and I'm thinking, "well, Texas could get a stop here, they absolutely have to." When they do get the stop, who hadn't watched Vince Young all night and didn't think he was going to take them right down the field and score? Leinart and Bush didn't have that air of invincibility and inevitability, despite the Heismans and despite the whole defending-champion thing. Young did.

Leinart doesn't remind me of Tom Brady at all. Brady was maligned his whole career at Michigan - fans wanted Drew Henson. People have been worshiping at Leinart's altar for years now (and it showed in those post-game comments.) There's more Leaf than Brady in Matt Leinart. I'm not suggesting he'll be a bust at all, he'll no doubt have a successful NFL career. But then again, that Heisman is no guarantee of pro success. Bottom line: I'd rather have Young than Leinart. And I think Young will do great, great things - it's not as though passing mechanics can't be fixed.

HappyPancake --

while i agree with you on Vince Young, that he might not be a great NFL quarterback....he is a great college quarterback..one of the best all time. In the NFL, however, Young could be Michael Vick....or he could be Andre Ware.

Matt Lienart doesn't remind me at all of Tom Brady, unless there is just that "it" that great nfl quarterbacks have. Lienart is going to be a decent NFL quarterback.

The player that will be the most successful in the NFL, is clearly this year's heisman trophy winner. Reggie Bush is a stud. Very special player. Its just a shame he is going to be stuck in Houston for the first part of his career.

Oh and thumbdown.gif to Matt Leinart for his 'we're still the better team' comment after the game. Sorry Mr. 37-2 but everyone loses eventually, suck it up.

I agree. I thought it was very classless. Texas deserved to win and like you would want a good defending champion to play, USC played hard to the end. Hats off to the BCS this year. They got the championship game not to mention the other BCS games right for a change. Great bowl season!!

Leinart doesn't remind me of Tom Brady at all.  Brady was maligned his whole career at Michigan - fans wanted Drew Henson.  People have been worshiping at Leinart's altar for years now (and it showed in those post-game comments.)  There's more Leaf than Brady in Matt Leinart.  I'm not suggesting he'll be a bust at all, he'll no doubt have a successful NFL career.  But then again, that Heisman is no guarantee of pro success.

I'm not comparing the collegiate careers of Brady and Lienart at all -- that's just silly.

I'm comparing their relative skill-set: Both are big, not overly mobile quarterbacks and neither possess the cannon arm. But what they each have in spades are strong leadership abilities, throw a very accurate ball, and have great game-vision.

I could give two hoots if you can heave the ball 80 yards if you can't throw it accurately. What Leinart and Brady "miss" on raw athletic ability they make up with intelligence and confidence under pressure.

The Ryan Leaf - Matt Leinart comparison is also silly. It's apples and oranges. Leaf went to a pass-happy 5-reciever set school at the time at WSU and was a physical freak due to his size and arm strength -- but had the maturity of a 5-year old and the brain capacity of a peanut.

In the NFL, however, Young could be Michael Vick....or he could be Andre Ware.

Vick is not the comparison I'd use. Vick doesn't know how to be a quarterback. He tucks and runs if the first guy isn't open. He doesn't have any idea how to go through a progression. Young uses his feet to keep the play alive - how many times in that game did he have a wide open lane to run, and chose to let his receivers get open instead? And he still racked up 200 yards rushing. 200! The only knock on Young is his hot-potato throwing motion, and that can be fixed. Vick has been in the league for years now and still doesn't know how to play quarterback. Young has it figured out.

Oh, and speaking of Vick - Leinart might have made a tasteless comment, but the classless play of the whole bowl season was made by Marcus Vick, Michael's stupid and immature younger brother. That stomp on the leg of a Louisville defender was reminiscent of the Ohio State-Wisconsin game last year. Disgusting play. So glad Marcus said no thanks to UVA and went to Blacksburg instead.

I'm not comparing the collegiate careers of Brady and Lienart at all -- that's just silly.

I'm comparing their relative skill-set: Both are big, not overly mobile quarterbacks and neither possess the cannon arm. But what they each have in spades are strong leadership abilities, throw a very accurate ball, and have great game-vision.

I could give two hoots if you can heave the ball 80 yards if you can't throw it accurately. What Leinart and Brady "miss" on raw athletic ability they make up with intelligence and confidence under pressure.

The Ryan Leaf - Matt Leinart comparison is also silly. It's apples and oranges. Leaf went to a pass-happy 5-reciever set school at the time at WSU and was a physical freak due to his size and arm strength -- but had the maturity of a 5-year old and the brain capacity of a peanut.

I ought to have clarified. Brady learned to deal with adversity and showed early on at Michigan that he could. Always confident even when fans were calling for his head. What adversity has Leinart had to deal with? As I said, people have worshipped at his altar for three years now, and he has lost just twice, and I don't think he handled the losing very well. He's nowhere near the maturity level of a Tom Brady, in my opinion. He's got all the physical tools but he's going to be shell-shocked, I think, if he goes to an awful team like the Jets and is asked to be the savior, step in and start right away. He's been surrounded by premier talent - Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Mike Williams, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett - and hasn't had to bear the weight of the whole team.

Maybe Joey Harrington is the most apt comparison. Cool and confident West Coast boy. I see Leinart having similar success. Bet you Leinart doesn't shine in the pros right away like he has in school. Tom Brady of course didn't either, but I would argue that as a sixth-round pick, he was never given the chance - and when he did it was instant stardom. Down the road of course, Leinart will have every opportunity to prove himself, but I don't see the Tom Brady "IT" in Leinart. I see a highly skilled quarterback who has been spoiled a bit. Brady was never spoiled.

I ought to have clarified.  Brady learned to deal with adversity and showed early on at Michigan that he could.  Always confident even when fans were calling for his head.

I don't know it was so much as people calling for Brady's head as it was that the program had a local whiz-bang gunslinger in Henson that fans couldn't wait to see due to the hype-machine. Brady wasn't a bad quarterback by any stretch, but he certainly showed no precursor to how dramatic his NFL success would be.

What adversity has Leinart had to deal with?  As I said, people have worshipped at his altar for three years now, and he has lost just twice, and I don't think he handled the losing very well.  He's nowhere near the maturity level of a Tom Brady, in my opinion.  He's got all the physical tools but he's going to be shell-shocked, I think, if he goes to an awful team like the Jets and is asked to be the savior, step in and start right away.

I don't think for a second that you can pass judgment on a guy on how he handles losing when it just happened twice. It was his *last* college game last night and I'd be surprised if didn't express some emotional discomfort. That said, I think you're blowing his comments out of porportion, anyway. (Oh, and after the other time his team lost, they rattled off 34-straight. So I believe they "handled" that first one quite fine.)

As for your comment regarding maturity level, being surrounded by talent and "being a savior" -- what about Young? Is it really that different? IMO, Young is DRAMATICALLY less mature than Leinart and while Matt had the luxury of a Heisman winner in his backfield along with a huge receiver and another top back.. well, the talent on the other roster isn't UTEP. It's Texas, which routinely turns in one of the top recruiting classes every year.

Going back to the Brady/Leinart comparison -- I didn't say they were equals, be it in skill, game-management or maturity... Just that I see some similarities to varying degrees.

Maybe Joey Harrington is the most apt comparison.  Cool and confident West Coast boy.  I see Leinart having similar success.  Bet you Leinart doesn't shine in the pros right away like he has in school.

Joey was another product of the system. (The Tedford one, anyway.) Wide-open spread offense and his accuracy was never where Leinart's has been.

I never said I expected Leinart to shine right away. IMO, the best way to go when drafting a QB is to do what Cincinnati did with Palmer.

Well... Young was unstoppable last night. I was watching mostly with indifference, but it was getting under my skin how Young COULD NOT be tackled. He wasn't sacked once, only twice was he even pressured... if he stays in Texas his senior year he'll probably get another championship.

It's silly to try and gage his NFL career, I think. Obviously, he won't be able to run like he does in college, but he'll still have some sucess in that part of his game. Reggie Bush is a much more known quantity for sucess at the NFL level, but QBs? Who knows.

But I'll tell ya... when USC was stopped on 4th and 1, I knew the game was over. Me and my buddy turned to each other, and I said, "Young runs it in," and he says he was just about to say the exact same thing.

But I'll tell ya... when USC was stopped on 4th and 1, I knew the game was over. Me and my buddy turned to each other, and I said, "Young runs it in," and he says he was just about to say the exact same thing.

And that's how you know Young was the greatest player by far on that field. No such guarantee or feeling of inevitability when USC had the ball. Except for two plays, Texas bottled up Reggie Bush, and on one of those, Bush made a colossal mistake.

I know how USC fans must have felt when Texas took the ball over, because it's the same way I felt last year when Michigan missed that field goal. You just knew Vince was going to pull it out for Texas. Except last year, I mistook it for the usual Running QB Blues that Michigan always seems to have. Even though Michigan couldn't stop Troy Smith either, I feel a little better about that Rose Bowl loss last year, seeing that USC was equally powerless.

Great final game - I'm glad Texas won. Let someone new win the big one. I felt that Young got overlooked for the Heisman - but I'm sure he wouldn't consider trading his ring in for the trophy!

Kudos to Pete Carroll - class act at the end there. I concure that Leinart was a very sore loser - he had a great run and already has 2 rings - can't really feel too sorry for him.

Unfortunately. this overtakes the Texas-UM game for best Rose Bowl - oh well...here's to next fall when we all get to start over again!

Well... Young was unstoppable last night. I was watching mostly with indifference, but it was getting under my skin how Young COULD NOT be tackled. He wasn't sacked once, only twice was he even pressured...

Same feeling I had last year in the Rose Bowl. "FFS! Tackle the guy!"

It was (somewhat) satisfying to see him do it to USC as well.

Figured I'd drag an old one back from the dead. I didn't know about this rule. Clearly, neither did the Sun Belt officials. It's from the TMQ column on NFL.com.

But TMQ thinks a different rule should have been enforced -- the "unfair acts" provision. You've probably never heard of the "unfair acts" clause -- I've watched far, far too much football and never beheld this rule invoked, but it seems tailor-made for what happened at the Alamo Bowl. See page 116 of the NCAA rulebook; Article 3.C states, "If an obviously unfair act not specifically covered by the rules occurs during the game, the referee may take any action he considers equitable, including assessing a penalty, awarding a score or suspending or forfeiting the game." For Nebraska to flood the gridiron with 50 players and team personnel during a play, with the game's outcome on the line, was an "obviously unfair act" -- it deprived Michigan runners of roughly half the field. Watch the replay; as the ball madly bounces, all the Michigan runners move toward the right, because on the left side of the field is a 50-man wall! It's pretty hard to score against a 50-man defense. Yet Michigan almost did score against a 50-man defense, which tells us the Wolverines might indeed have gotten a touchdown and won the game had Nebraska not committed an "obviously unfair act" by denying Michigan access to half the field. (From an officiating standpoint it makes no difference whether Nebraska intended to be unfair or simply rushed the field by accident because the Huskers thought the game was over; whether a penalty is committed intentionally or by accident is irrelevant.)

Every coach from the high school level up knows that extra players cannot run onto the field during a play. Every coach knows that if players do run onto the field during a play, the penalty is harsh. Nebraska's entire team ran onto the field during the game-deciding play -- yet not a single yellow flag. That's spectacular officiating ineptitude. Maybe the Sun Belt Conference zebras working this game were anxious to head to the locker room and didn't care about doing their jobs properly. Whatever the explanation, "Sun Belt Conference officials" will now be synonymous with incompetence, while "Alamo Bowl" will now be synonymous with botched game supervision. That leaves the question of how. Had the game been adeptly officiated, the unfair acts rule would have been enforced. You can make a case the referee should have awarded Michigan a touchdown: Otherwise you're saying that whenever a runner breaks into the clear, it's legal for 50 guys to walk on the field and stand in his way. Here is what I think would have been the "equitable" resolution: The ball should have been placed at the Nebraska 13, the point the runner reached, and Michigan given one untimed down.

Watching the play again, I realize what Tyler Ecker should have done: run straight into the advancing wall of red. Either he gets tackled and the play clearly ends on an illegal note (even more clearly than it actually did, anyway) or he gets through and winds up in the end zone. Hard to see a giant wall of red advancing on you, though, and not do the instinctual thing.