• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Campbell

Brodeur for Legace & Zetterberg

Rate this topic

Interesting. Wouldnt do it though.

Eklund reported about a month ago that Detroit and New Jersey were having talks involving Legace.

Zetterberg is too valuable at his price and shows too much potential to trade him for a struggling and aging Brodeur.

Edited by ARice89

I have a hard time imagining Det would pull the trigger on this trade...

To give up the Z would be insane... an old (albeit one of the best) netminder just ain't worth it. I'd substitue Lang for Zetts though and then make the trade... plus, Lang/Legace for Brodeur is probably the only way to make it fit under the cap.

But if it was a Legace/Zetts trade, NJ would have to throw in a prospect like Zajac to make up for the offensive blow that losing Zetts would cause. But, that'd probably make it lopsided for Det... so maybe:

To NJ: Legace, Zetts, Hudler

To Det: Brodeur, Zajac

Zajac's got a lot of what we need, physical, large, hockey sense, scoring sense, and very fast. Would hate to lose Zetts for anybody though... hell, since I'm dreaming

To NJ: Legace, Lang, 1st rdr

To Det: Brodeur, Zajac

Edited by ColdWarrior

The trade is believable, however, I'm not liking it much at all. Zetterberg is a mature two-way player now, and has been arguably our best offenceman all season. Brodeur has yet to regain form this season, and may not want to be moved anyway. I don't like the idea of sending out a key part of the Wings' future core (who we have locked up for several years) for a goaltender who has lost a step.

And, as of late, goaltending hasn't been an issue. With Brodeur on the team, there'd be no question over who the #1 was, and as we've seen so far this season, Osgood is useless with limited playing time.

I think other players would have to be involved in this deal, otherwise we'd be practically touching the cap.

i might do legace for brodeur straight up but theres no way zetterberg could be part of that deal.

brodeur isnt the same goalie he used to be and who knows whether legace will continue to improve.

i might do legace for brodeur straight up but theres no way zetterberg could be part of that deal.

brodeur isnt the same goalie he used to be and who knows whether legace will continue to improve.

no one not supporting the red wings (and probably very few that are) would consider that a fair trade.

2-time vezina winner, olympic gold medalist, hart finalist for a guy who has only 2 playoff wins and has never played more than 41 games in a regular season.

no one not supporting the red wings (and probably very few that are) would consider that a fair trade.

2-time vezina winner, olympic gold medalist, hart finalist for a guy who has only 2 playoff wins and has never played more than 41 games in a regular season.

but omfg he set records in october dude duh hes gonna win the veznuh this year for sure

i wub.gif manny! blush.gif

2 years ago, I'd do this trade in a heartbeat, but trading one of our top 3 guys, and a very good goalie for, as previously mentioned, a struggling, aging goalie, I'd take the pass on this one.

Yep, I too would pass on this deal.

Now ColdWarrior mentioned throwning in Lang instead of Zetterburg. That would be interesting and probably work with the cap (didn't check just guessing). Plus that would clear the way for Zetterburg playing center all the time.

Plus, I just don't see trading away Zetterburg.

hey everyone, this is my first post on this site and I'm very excited to be discussing about the best team in all of sports.

Now on the trade, I don't even think Zetterberg for Brodeur straight up is fair so I can not see the Wings making a trade like this. It amazes me that they would even think about trading Zetterberg for a slumping goalie when Legace and Ozzy have already proved that they can be a number one goalie in Detroit. Zetterberg is 25 and Brodeur is 33 and Zetterberg just signed a 4 year contract in the pre-season so it just wouldn't make any sense.

I'd hate to see the Wings pull a Boston Bruins when they traded away 25 year old superstar Joe Thornton.

Bad trade....Holland should be hitting the phones for a physical, banging defenseman, not a too pricey goaltender that'll restrict you from doing anything for the next few years. Zetterberg is much too valuable to trade, I'd trade Datysuk before Zetterberg.

You might do it? What on earth would keep you from doing it? The fact that Legace is 9 months younger?

Money issues aside of course.

Edited by toby91_ca

I don't think any 'for brodeur' trade is going to happen, but this is fun armchair GM'ing...

So, now some thoughts after I've had a few more minutes to consider the most important aspect of any trade.

The Cap.

I figure we have ~1M in room left.

Original 'rumor'

Brodeur (5.24M)

Legace (1.16), Zetterberg (2.4M)

So, we'd have to absorb $1.68M. That doesn't even consider the cash for another forward to bring up from GR, for ~450K. So, this is about a $2M increase in our payroll that puts us over the cap by ~1M.

My prefered option

Brodeur (5.24M), Zajac (NCAA)

Legace (1.16), Lang (3.8), and Hudler (AHL). Throw in 2nd or 3rd if needed.

This is only 280K to absorb, although we'd still have to call up another forward from GR (Flapjack anyone?). Still within the cap, weakens our offense, but by having Brodeur in net we don't need to fix our so-called defense problem. Also replaces one of our future oompa-loompas with a strong, large and physical offensive forward.

The Barnes52 option(because this was the last posted and I like the avatar)

Brodeur (5.24), White (1.71)

Legace (1.16), Lang (3.8), Williams (450)

1.54M for us to absorb, plus a min of another 450K to replace one forward (the 2nd forward slot & the demotion of one D-man to fit in White would theoretically cancel eachother out).

Anyway, this is hogwash... why not Hudler & a 2nd to WAS for Witt.

Edited by ColdWarrior

you'd have to throw in some crack for the Devil's GM to smoke while making that deal. wink.gif

you'd have to throw in some crack for the Devil's GM to smoke while making that deal. wink.gif

I think Lou got himself hooked on something with all the CBA negotiations cuz he was definitely on something during the offseason when he signed Rafalski to $4.2M, Malakhov to $3.6M, Mogilny to $3.5M, and McGillis to $2.2M.

peace

Yeah right, we trade our future star and one of the best goalies in the league (if Legace is not injured) for one of the biggest disappointments this season concerning top goaltenders. And as a bonus we can increase our payroll by few million $. Thanks alot for great ideas. Spectorshockey is reliable source but this one is crap. It takes an idiot to accept this offer or make this offer from our side.

I don't think any 'for brodeur' trade is going to happen, but this is fun armchair GM'ing...

So, now some thoughts after I've had a few more minutes to consider the most important aspect of any trade.

The Cap.

I figure we have ~1M in room left.

Original 'rumor'

Brodeur (5.24M)

Legace (1.16), Zetterberg (2.4M)

So, we'd have to absorb $1.68M. That doesn't even consider the cash for another forward to bring up from GR, for ~450K. So, this is about a $2M increase in our payroll that puts us over the cap by ~1M.

My prefered option

Brodeur (5.24M), Zajac (NCAA)

Legace (1.16), Lang (3.8), and Hudler (AHL). Throw in 2nd or 3rd if needed.

This is only 280K to absorb, although we'd still have to call up another forward from GR (Flapjack anyone?). Still within the cap, weakens our offense, but by having Brodeur in net we don't need to fix our so-called defense problem. Also replaces one of our future oompa-loompas with a strong, large and physical offensive forward.

The Barnes52 option(because this was the last posted and I like the avatar)

Brodeur (5.24), White (1.71)

Legace (1.16), Lang (3.8), Williams (450)

1.54M for us to absorb, plus a min of another 450K to replace one forward (the 2nd forward slot & the demotion of one D-man to fit in White would theoretically cancel eachother out).

Anyway, this is hogwash... why not Hudler & a 2nd to WAS for Witt.

thumbup.gif For the compliment and the Witt trade proposal

I think Lou got himself hooked on something with all the CBA negotiations cuz he was definitely on something during the offseason when he signed Rafalski to $4.2M, Malakhov to $3.6M, Mogilny to $3.5M, and McGillis to $2.2M.

peace

Like Toronto and Philly they took a chance that there would be grandfather clause, or that there would never be a hard cap...they lost the gamble

peace

Like Toronto and Philly they took a chance that there would be grandfather clause, or that there would never be a hard cap...they lost the gamble

Its worse than that. Lou signed these guys AFTER the new CBA.

peace