• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
PRStoetzer

Spector: Turco may sign with Detroit this summer

Rate this topic

TURCO TO SIGN WITH DETROIT THIS SUMMER?

THE SAULT STAR: Peter Ruicci reported yesterday Dallas Stars netminder Marty Turco loves the state of Michigan, having played at the University of Michigan where he became the NCAA leader in career victories. Ruicci suggests Turco, an unrestricted free agent this summer, could sign with the Red Wings, as both their current goalies, Chris Osgood and Manny Legace, are also unrestricted free agents this summer. Turco and his family are natives of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, meaning a move to Detroit would put them closer to "The Soo".

Spector's Note: My thanks to Chris Dawson. The Stars will likely do whatever they can to retain Turco, who's improved play since early October is a big reason why the Stars have played so well by mid-season. Still, one shouldn't rule out a big bid from a rival club like the Red Wings, especially with the salary cap due to rise next season.

http://www.saultstar.com/webapp/sitepages/...rts%20-%20Local

It makes sense, I'd venture a guess and say his decision will be largely based on which team goes the furthest in the playoffs. Turco wants a ring and being in Michigan may just be an added bonus.

Not to far fetched of an idea. I've always thought this could happen one day. That would be an improvment for sure, and he is the best puck handeling goaltender out there.

What about Jimmy Howard? Won't he be ready in another year or two?

Goalies usually need at least 4 years in the NHL to reach their potential. I doubt we'll see much of Howard before 2008.

Edited by RyanBarnes!

Why on earth not! Turco is a great goalie, after all then at least Datsyuk won't be able to score such a beauties against Turco like on 03/04 we saw. tongue.gif

And if Ozzie and Manny leave, we can bring Liv to North America. Legace will definitely seek more money than right now, he proved his capabilities in October.

Anyway the goalie status would look something like this:

Turco

Howard/Liv

Depth:

MacDonald

McIntyre

Not bad, go for it.. and if Turco is having his worst season during the last five years, it will probably make him ask less money also than few years ago could have happened.

This would be the best possible addition to the wings lineup. Losing Ozzie and Legz will hurt a bit since they've been here so long but bringing in Turco and Bringing up Liv/MacDonald as back-up will work really good. I think after Howard finishes up College then he can play a full season at Grand Rapids which is alot better than playing as the backup on Detriot. Howard and McIntyre would be a nice duo for an AHL team.

I think after Howard finishes up College then he can play a full season at Grand Rapids which is alot better than playing as the backup on Detriot.

Howard already left Maine and is playing for GR.

If you meant in the playoffs youre mistaken about Joseph choking last year.

Of course not, I'm referring to the majority of his time with the Wings.

turco is one of the few goalies in the nhl who could actually improve our offence, he's like a 3rd dman with the way he handles the puck. He won't sign for peanuts though it could cost us alot to get him.

Interesting concept about him coming here... should make for an interesting summer.

Doesn't Lidstrom contract end this year as well. I guess it depends on how much he's asking and whether Liddy is sticking around and take a pay cut.

He's a great guy, too. He used to play for the K Wings here in Kalamazoo, and I'd always go and talk to him after the games. Just an annoying 6th/7th grader at the time, but he was still very friendly and would always sign autographs and stay a couple minutes and talk.

Word,

LDi03

Turco, who is winless against Detroit in his career, donning the Winged Wheel?

You know what they say...  If you can't beat 'em...

mmhmm...

Although I think this is just a ploy to weazel more money out of Dallas. The old age Modano to Detroit rumours are a good example.

Turco would be terrific on the Wings. He's a solid goalie, can move the puck very well and is a fiesty competitor.