• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
paul woods fan club

next seasons free agent signing priority #1

Rate this topic

We could land him, but he'd take a big chunk out of our salary. With Chelios retiring, and Yzerman retiring, it makes some room, but moving some of our bigger names would have to be an option. I'd probably go after a less expensive, but still physical defenseman.

There's Witt and Norstrom might hit the market unless he decides to re-up with the Kings. If we could entice him over to play alongside Lidstrom that'd be awesome. They pair together at the Olympics and are perfectly complementary.

peace

Chara and Redden will both be gone if the Sens do not even make the 3rd round of the playoffs. They have both been through that multiple times already. This year really seems to be the Sens only chance to win. Hasek I still do not think will be back next season and there is no way they will be able to keep that team together without having to give out some definite cash.

Chara or Redden...Wouldnt mind which one we get. Chara I think would fit our needs better, seeing as how we need a big, physical D-man. Redden on the other hand is just so smart with the puck. He is like a younger Lidstrom. Has a great point shot, too. I think if we get Redden than we are not assessing all our needs. He would be like Holland signing another Center, which we do not need as much as we need a big, physical D-man, who is going to make the opposition think twice about crashing our net.

Bottom Line: GO FOR CHARA!!!

There's Witt and Norstrom might hit the market unless he decides to re-up with the Kings. If we could entice him over to play alongside Lidstrom that'd be awesome. They pair together at the Olympics and are perfectly complementary.

peace

There you go....to replace Fischer and Lilja? In a heartbeat

Money talks, plus a chance to win a cup.

Money dont talk more than he opt to play for a 3rd division league team in sweden last year just bc he wanted to help them advance in the series system. he would've been paid real money in the SEL or Swiss league or wherever.

If Lidstrom re-signs, I think there's very little chance of us nabbing Redden or Chara. But one thing I noticed today when I watched the Sens-Habs game was that, in Alfredsson's absence, Wade Redden wore the "C". It wasn't a big deal at all really, but it may mean that the Sens are a little more committed to holding onto him than they are Chara.

A lot of the UFAs I hoped the Wings could sign in the near future have been locked up to long term contracts. But if Witt is available, I'd love to get him. I've wanted that guy on the Wings for years. Brendan isn't going to scare opponents into submission like Konstantinov did, but he'd bring a real tough, physical edge to the blueline, which is something Detroit has lacked forever it seems.

I'd love a top four of: Lidstrom-Kronwall, Schneider-Witt

That would be as good as any team in the league next season.

And does anybody know when Willie Mitchell hits the free agent market? IMO, he is a vastly underrated defender and is a hard worker on the blueline. He'd look great on second/third pairing.

Potential FA Ds (partial list): brian leetch, jay mckee, kim jonsson, pavel kubina, brendan witt, keith carney, karlis skrastins, philippe boucher, mattias norstrom, willie mitchell, danny markov, derek morris, ed jovanovski

When I look at the list I like carney, mckee, witt and norstrom. Not sure if we will pursue the upper echelon defensemen like jovo, redden or chara tho.

Potential FA Ds (partial list): brian leetch, jay mckee, kim jonsson, pavel kubina, brendan witt, keith carney, karlis skrastins, philippe boucher, mattias norstrom, willie mitchell, danny markov, derek morris, ed jovanovski

When I look at the list I like carney, mckee, witt and norstrom. Not sure if we will pursue the upper echelon defensemen like jovo, redden or chara tho.

Yeah Redden and Cara likely would be out of our payscale and Jovo is just no the kind of guy we need. Off that list I like Kubina, Witt, Norstrom, and Markov. Maybe Mitchell or McKee. Big, sound, safe.

peace

Yeah Redden and Cara likely would be out of our payscale and Jovo is just no the kind of guy we need. Off that list I like Kubina, Witt, Norstrom, and Markov. Maybe Mitchell or McKee. Big, sound, safe.

peace

The Sabres kinda waited to the last minute before they gave McKee a solid offer. But now, I don't think they'll want to let him go. He's been blocking shots left and right and has regained his form from seasons past. Jay would be great for the Wings though.

As I stated before, I would love Mitchell. In him I think we could get what I had originally expected from Andreas Lilja; a big, strong defenceman who chips in a solid hit occasionally and keeps mistakes to a minimum. After this season, I say we dump Lilja, and sign the slightly more expensive Willie Mitchell.

And half of Tre Kronor.  I know Barnes! isn't too keen about it, but I doubt he'd turn down Norstrom to add to our collection of Swedes. wink.gif

peace

Norstrom has got so much heart, but that's also the reason I don't see him going anywhere. He's extremely loyal. It's already been pointed out that he chose to help his former team in the lower ranks during the lockout rather than making money. I bet he wants to win a Cup real bad, but I'm not convinced the Red Wings is that much better of an alternative in his eyes. Guess it depends on what happens in the off season.

I'm all for Witt, McKee or Mitchell though! Don't forget Boynton.

Edited by RyanBarnes!

peace

The Sabres kinda waited to the last minute before they gave McKee a solid offer. But now, I don't think they'll want to let him go. He's been blocking shots left and right and has regained his form from seasons past. Jay would be great for the Wings though.

As I stated before, I would love Mitchell. In him I think we could get what I had originally expected from Andreas Lilja; a big, strong defenceman who chips in a solid hit occasionally and keeps mistakes to a minimum. After this season, I say we dump Lilja, and sign the slightly more expensive Willie Mitchell.

I bet Holland signs Lilja, I have a feeling they like his play. So unless Lilja leaves, count him in any scenario regarding defensemen

peace

I bet Holland signs Lilja, I have a feeling they like his play. So unless Lilja leaves, count him in any scenario regarding defensemen

You just can't let me be happy can you? tongue.gif But yeah, as sad as it is, you're probably right. Sports writers who have never once watched the Wings play this season are gushing over Lilja, saying Holland is a genius to have plucked him out of nowhere, merely because he has a high plus/minus. By the general hockey public, Andreas is regarded as a far better d-man than he really is.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep if Lilja was re-signed as a depth d-man, but if he was brought back, Kenny might mistake him as a physical defensive defenceman yet again, and fail to pick up one of the many solid second pairing defencemen coming on the market this summer.

There's Witt and Norstrom might hit the market unless he decides to re-up with the Kings.  If we could entice him over to play alongside Lidstrom that'd be awesome.  They pair together at the Olympics and are perfectly complementary.

peace

There you go....to replace Fischer and Lilja? In a heartbeat

Pun intended?

Resign Lids and get either Chara, Redden or Norstrom......

Now THATS a plan

Lids and Norstrom is conceivable. But the idea of nabbing one of either Chara or Redden in addition to re-signing Nick would be very tough. Those two would command up near league maximum, I'm guessing somewhere between 6-8 million a season. And Lidstrom is having yet another Norris-calibre season, so he can command the exact same amount. Putting 15 million+ into two d-men is a little much.

Haven't you guys learned anything from Detroit's past interest in foreign players???? You know they are going to bring in a no-namer dman or winger that no one (except for a few people) have ever heard of to our squad next year and will be sufficiant no matter what he does in the regular season....i.e. Lilja, Sammy

I wouldn't mind Jay McKee coming here, but I wouldn't mind Norstrom either. I'd like Norstrom better, because I think that he's more physical. We need someone to pair up with Lidstrom in my opinion.