• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Schneids_is_awesome

Kronwall: to play or not to play

Rate this topic

If Kronwall returns to the wings before the olympic break, should he represent Sweden in the Olympics?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The best arguement that I heard on these discussion boards that are for Kronwall to play in the Olympics is that it would let him get some rustiness out of his system. No a bad idea at all.

However, I fully believe with the luck that Wings players have with knee problems, I can't justify the risk involved with him playing too early. I'd rather be over cautious and have him wait until he's 100% ready to come back.

However, it's not my call smile.gif

The best arguement that I heard on these discussion boards that are for Kronwall to play in the Olympics is that it would let him get some rustiness out of his system. No a bad idea at all.

However, I fully believe with the luck that Wings players have with knee problems, I can't justify the risk involved with him playing too early. I'd rather be over cautious and have him wait until he's 100% ready to come back.

However, it's not my call smile.gif

He won't be 100% this season anyway. ACL recovery takes a long time.

Play. The Olympics are a high tempo, relatively low impact brand of hockey. He'd be more likely to get hurt in the NHL, or in an AHL recovery stint.

peace

Play. He would likely be used in limited role depending on how well he had recovered to that point.

It couldn't hurt him to be playing alongside Samuelsson, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Liv as a peripheral player instead of an AHL recovery stint where there are more goons who are going to be gunning for him because he'd be the best player there and they are minor league scrubs whose career has no hope of moving to the next level.

I say no and wait it out.

He will have pleanty of chances to represent his country later in his career. No need to rush him into the olympics now.

i just hate to see him hurt that knee again, it could be disaster.

I say no and wait it out.

He will have pleanty of chances to represent his country later in his career. No need to rush him into the olympics now.

i just hate to see him hurt that knee again, it could be disaster.

As has been said, he is more likely to hurt his knee in the NHL or AHL than in the Olympics.

Torino would be a great place for him to get back in shape because it would be a high skill, low impact environment.

I say he should play. Let him work off the rust. It wont be any good for him to comeback play a couple of games then sit out till play resumes.

If he shows he is doing well I would like to see him paired with Lids then they could work on there chemistry. Prob wont happen but hey that would be great for the Wings if they are paired together.

I also think that The Wings she be in constant contact with Team Sweden and the Wings should be able to pull the plug on him playing if they feel it is right.

I say he should play. Let him work off the rust. It wont be any good for him to comeback play a couple of games then sit out till play resumes.

If he shows he is doing well I would like to see him paired with Lids then they could work on there chemistry. Prob wont happen but hey that would be great for the Wings if they are paired together.

I also think that The Wings she be in constant contact with Team Sweden and the Wings should be able to pull the plug on him playing if they feel it is right.

They can.

Standard NHL contract requires team consent for contracted players to participate in strenuous physical activity outside of team activities.

Remember Uwe Krupp? Or the NHL players not being released for preliminary round games in the 2002 Olympics (not sure if that will be the case this year)

If an NHL team (or any other pro team with a similar clause in their contract) decided they didn't want their player playing, they could refuse to allow it.

They can.

Standard NHL contract requires team consent for contracted players to participate in strenuous physical activity outside of team activities.

Remember Uwe Krupp? Or the NHL players not being released for preliminary round games in the 2002 Olympics (not sure if that will be the case this year)

If an NHL team (or any other pro team with a similar clause in their contract) decided they didn't want their player playing, they could refuse to allow it.

Actually I don't believe they can. Participation in the Olympics (at least the Torino games) is part of the CBA. And the clauses of the old CBA that cover competing in international tournaments stated this.

24.6. For IIHF World Championships and for tournaments approved by the International Committee during the term of this Agreement, the Clubs shall permit players to play for their respective National teams on the following conditions:

a. Only those players who are on Clubs that do not qualify for the League playoffs or are eliminated in the preliminary round of said playoffs may be invited to participate.

b. The player agrees that from the time he joins the National team until his release therefrom, he shall be subject to League discipline with respect to his conduct both on and off the ice.

c. There shall be no inquiry to any player as to his playing for his National team by any agent or representative of any National team until and unless his team has been eliminated from the playoffs. Further, no inquiry may be made to any such player unless prior or contemporaneous notice is given to the player's General Manager that said inquiry will take place.

d. The National team shall be responsible for providing such insurance to cover a player's loss of earning capacity as the player may require. Provided, however, if a team or player presently carries insurance insuring the contract of said player as against permanent disability and which insurance would cover said player while participating in said series, then the National team shall pay to the Club (or player) the pro rata cost of said coverage for the period in question.

e. The National team shall also be required to pay to the player's Club the pro rata cost of any asset value insurance that the Club may have covering said player.

f. The coach and manager of the North American National teams to whom said players will be released shall be approved by the League. For this purpose two Committees shall be formed and shall consist of qualified persons mutually agreed upon.

Unless they added a new, "Clubs can keep players from playing if they don't want them to" clause I don't think the Wings have a say in the matter. They can not be happy about it, but that's about it.

peace

I voted "yes", assuming he feels up to it of course. Detroit shouldn't be telling Kronwall that he's not allowed to get the chance to represent his country. That is not appropriate treatment for a player who could have a very prosperous future with this club.

And as NN alluded to, the Olympics are no more physical than the AHL, and they'd make for an excellent conditioning stint.

I'm kind of torn. The point that the Olympic style is the best environment for him to get his conditioning back is valid. On the other hand, eight games in twelve nights is alot of hockey. I would have to say no just to be on the safe side. He'll have plenty of opportunities to represent Sweden.

I'm kind of torn.  The point that the Olympic style is the best environment for him to get his conditioning back is valid.  On the other hand, eight games in twelve nights is alot of hockey.  I would have to say no just to be on the safe side.  He'll have plenty of opportunities to represent Sweden.

He can request--or have it requested of him-- to have reduced ice time. Obviously, he won't be 100%, so it probably wasn't in Team Sweden's game plan to have in out there all of the time anyways.

And if he plays and doesn't feel good, he can just drop out. The taxi squad's good for that.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

You cannot play expecting to get injured in any sport. That is not a vaiable reason for not playing. The only reason to not play is if he thinks he can not contribute. I have a feeling he could be a huge factor for the sweedish run. They got enough star power and hard working guys to win but lack the depth of Canada. If Kron is their 6th or 7th Defensmen it could make all the difference in finshing 4th or 1st.

Guest Swimming with the Sharks

Let him play. It's an extra opportunity for Kronwall to get his wheels back before the playoffs. In addition, I really want the Swedes to medal this year 'cause it would be a huge morale booster for the Wings, and if Kronwall is part of that and he ends up being a big contributor, it'll be an even bigger boost. So I say go for it. thumbup.gif