• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gobias

TSN rumors

Rate this topic

TSN: Backchecking.

- According to the Ottawa Sun, if the Canadiens are considering dealing G Jose Theodore, the Vancouver Canucks might be interestd, and the Habs would likely want Todd Bertuzzi in exchange.  With Cristobal Huet getting back-to-back starts recently, Theodore's name becomes only more active on the trade front.

- The Ottawa Sun salso ays the Canadiens' current state of disarray has GM Bob Gainey willing to trade just about anybody, including C Mike Ribiero, D Craig Rivet, D Sheldon Souray and D Mike Komisarek. The paper reports that the Capitals are interested in Ribiero as a setup man for super rookie Alexander Ovechkin.

- The St. Petersburg Times suggests that the Lightning could be ready to make a major move, possibly sending D Pavel Kubina to Buffalo for G Martin Biron, while also mentioning that LW Fredrik Modin could go to Minnesota for G Manny Fernandez.

Theodore is more of a stretch, of course, but I'd definitely look into that rumor. As much as I like Legace, I don't think he's the guy. Osgood doesn't even deserve a mention, he's been awful.

The article becomes more intriguing when Komisarek is mentioned. He plays a similar style to Fischer and would be a pretty good replacement for him. He is 23 and has a ton of potential but I doubt Gainey is looking for an all-star return package for him.

Modin is the guy who interests me most. My best memory of him is last Olympics when he was an absolute beast for the Swedish team. His play with the Lightning in their Cup run was pretty good as well, however I haven't followed him at all this season. He's a big guy (and he uses his size) with a nice skillset and I think he'd look pretty damn good next to Zetterberg in the line-up. Plus, the more swedes the better amirite?

Komisarek makes 900k and Modin is making 2.2m, not entirely sure the lengths of the contracts though.

Thoughts?

Edited by gobias

I'd love Modin he's a great player and has a reasonable contract, but in all reality it will not happen this year. We have no way to bring in another 2m+ contract on anyone. From what I gather the Fischer money is still being counted against the cap because everytime I hear about him they keep saying that he'll have to make a decision whether he wants to play again this year. Or maybe that just means that he'll have to decide because it ISN'T being counted against so if we sign someone with his money he CAN'T come back. Yeah, that has to be it.

Anyway, after that, I don't want Theodore, he hasn't been playing well at all this year and this isn't the time to take a chance on Theo.

As for Komisarek, he's going to be the type of guy that Holland will get, I also suspect that he'll get a cheap banging foward, nothing will total over 1.1 million IMO, unless Lang actually gets traded which I don't think he will. (this year)

I'd love Modin he's a great player and has a reasonable contract, but in all reality it will not happen this year.  We have no way to bring in another 2m+ contract on anyone.  From what I gather the Fischer money is still being counted against the cap because everytime I hear about him they keep saying that he'll have to make a decision whether he wants to play again this year.  Or maybe that just means that he'll have to decide because it ISN'T being counted against so if we sign someone with his money he CAN'T come back.  Yeah, that has to be it. 

Anyway, after that, I don't want Theodore, he hasn't been playing well at all this year and this isn't the time to take a chance on Theo. 

As for Komisarek, he's going to be the type of guy that Holland will get, I also suspect that he'll get a cheap banging foward, nothing will total over 1.1 million IMO, unless Lang actually gets traded which I don't think he will. (this year)

If I understand correctly, management can replace Fischer if he's out (injured) but would need to get back at or under the cap if Fsicher ever comes back. Who knows?

Edited by Barnes52

Guest shanny14

All i hope for no matter what it is.. IF fischer returns , that he is ready to return. if not i say go find another defenseman if it is taking too long. Maybe a temporary one. or just a better one to add in.

Eventually someone will have to go if fisch gets well because of the cap but i say lets get some grit returned to this team!

It doesn't count so long as he is on the IR iirc.

The payroll listed on this site is pretty accurate even with the few changes it's missing.

Leaving Lebda off and counting Kronwalls million since that's the likely path for now.

(Total) 37,557,330

(+Cleary) 450,000

(+Woolley) 507,000

(+Franzen) 650,000

(-Fischer) 1,387,000

=37,777,330?

So, 1,223,670 to spend, I think.

It doesn't count so long as he is on the IR iirc.

The payroll listed on this site is pretty accurate even with the few changes it's missing.

Leaving Lebda off and counting Kronwalls million since that's the likely path for now.

(Total) 37,557,330

(+Cleary) 450,000

(+Woolley) 507,000

(+Franzen) 650,000

(-Fischer) 1,387,000

=37,777,330?

So, 1,223,670 to spend, I think.

That's about right, but remember if you can trade Mowers or some other guy, that's money off the books, so I look at that number as extra padding in case who we acquire has a contract worth more than who we trade...if that makes sense blink.gif

Well, that's why I'm advocating trading Lang. He doesn't give us anything we don't already have in abundance (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Draper, Williams, Franzen, Yzerman - all natural centers) and he's on the payroll for 3.8m.

Ship him off to Phoenix where Comrie really isn't living up to his 1st line potential and suddenly they're looking a bit more hungry. They've got some good defenseman there too, Mara might be a guy we'd be interested in. Would Lang get him? Who knows.

But yeah, Rivers and Mowers could easily be gotten rid of and that's 1m there.

Edited by gobias

I'd love Modin he's a great player and has a reasonable contract, but in all reality it will not happen this year.  We have no way to bring in another 2m+ contract on anyone.  From what I gather the Fischer money is still being counted against the cap because everytime I hear about him they keep saying that he'll have to make a decision whether he wants to play again this year.  Or maybe that just means that he'll have to decide because it ISN'T being counted against so if we sign someone with his money he CAN'T come back.  Yeah, that has to be it. 

If I understand correctly, management can replace Fischer if he's out (injured) but would need to get back at or under the cap if Fsicher ever comes back. Who knows?

Fischer is done. No one would touch him- esp insurance houses. His contract would be laughable with all the clauses and considering his condition: who would take the risk without knowing if he is playing for ten years or one day.

- According to the Ottawa Sun, if the Canadiens are considering dealing G Jose Theodore, the Vancouver Canucks might be interestd, and the Habs would likely want Todd Bertuzzi in exchange.  With Cristobal Huet getting back-to-back starts recently, Theodore's name becomes only more active on the trade front.

- The Ottawa Sun salso ays the Canadiens' current state of disarray has GM Bob Gainey willing to trade just about anybody, including C Mike Ribiero, D Craig Rivet, D Sheldon Souray and D Mike Komisarek. The paper reports that the Capitals are interested in Ribiero as a setup man for super rookie Alexander Ovechkin.

- The St. Petersburg Times suggests that the Lightning could be ready to make a major move, possibly sending D Pavel Kubina to Buffalo for G Martin Biron, while also mentioning that LW Fredrik Modin could go to Minnesota for G Manny Fernandez.

Theodore is more of a stretch, of course, but I'd definitely look into that rumor. As much as I like Legace, I don't think he's the guy. Osgood doesn't even deserve a mention, he's been awful.

The article becomes more intriguing when Komisarek is mentioned. He plays a similar style to Fischer and would be a pretty good replacement for him. He is 23 and has a ton of potential but I doubt Gainey is looking for an all-star return package for him.

Modin is the guy who interests me most. My best memory of him is last Olympics when he was an absolute beast for the Swedish team. His play with the Lightning in their Cup run was pretty good as well, however I haven't followed him at all this season. He's a big guy (and he uses his size) with a nice skillset and I think he'd look pretty damn good next to Zetterberg in the line-up. Plus, the more swedes the better amirite?

Komisarek makes 900k and Modin is making 2.2m, not entirely sure the lengths of the contracts though.

Thoughts?

Osgood's been horrible? Oh yeah, two bad games after a month of being awesome. Definitely horrible. rolleyes.gif

Define awesome.

When the only thing consistent about your game is your penchant for giving up soft goals, awesome does not come into play.

Going 8-3 and in most of those games allowing 2 or less goals. I'd consider that pretty damn good. Let's not forget the fact that he was runner up for player of the month in December. That doesn't come to players that are 'horrible'. Also, im sick of the soft goals crap. Every damn goalie in the league gives up a soft goals. In fact, im willing to bet that every goalie gives up at least one or two soft goals each and every game..unless of course their D doesn't help em out, or they get a shutout.

Define awesome.

When the only thing consistent about your game is your penchant for giving up soft goals, awesome does not come into play.

No need to start a goalie bashing thread. Ozzie's not having an amazing season, but he's shown definite flashes of starter material this year. Though I'm not a big fan of his, I think he has just as much of a chance of nabbing the starting job as Manny does (though Legace might have just a little bit of an edge).

Anyways, I would certainly take Komisarek. He's big and tough (even bigger than Lilja), and has the makings of a defensive stud one day. However, I guess he's a bit of a slow learner. Though it'd be hard to replace with only 1.33 million, I'd like the Wings to try and fill the hole that Fischer's ailment left on the blueline. Komisarek isn't exactly my number one choice, but he'd be a whole lot better than nothing. Another option would be Souray. He's more expensive, but displays the physical play and offensive upside that Jiri gave us. Though Sheldon's not quite as good at carrying the puck up ice, and he's not been all that great this season.

I wouldn't mind Modin at all. He works hard and put up pretty solid totals during the Bolts' Stanley Cup run. His shot could really be utilized by the play-making abilites of either Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Realistically, though, he's not what we need, and especially not at 2 million dollars a season. Though I doubt Holland would want him anyway, he's a Swede...

No need to start a goalie bashing thread.

The Osgood comments pertain to this thread, but thanks.

In his past 12 starts, he's given up 2 goals or less 5 times and 3 goals or more 7 times.

His GAA is 3.01 and SV% is .888.

This is not awesome.

Osgood and Legace have never been super consistent, but Legace's highs and lows are simply better than Osgoods.

Every damn goalie in the league gives up a soft goals.

You're 100% correct. However, the good goalies give up fewer soft goals than the average to bad goalies. Usually when someone says that a goalie gives up soft goals, it's to mean that the goalie gives up an unusually large amount of soft goals.

Realistically, though, he's not what we need, and especially not at 2 million dollars a season.

Eh, I disagree. Modin is exactly what we need. Big, strong winger with a good shot who always works hard and rarely floats. The 2 million is a big whatever, as has been noted, adding a guy like Modin could be done fairly easily by dumping players we hardly ever use.

Thoughts?

gainey's looking for a big point producer guy to put on the 1st or 2nd line

Mike Komisarek would just be beyond awesome! No joke if this kid is really on the block then this would be a hell of a player to land for this organization. cool.gif

The Osgood comments pertain to this thread, but thanks.

In his past 12 starts, he's given up 2 goals or less 5 times and 3 goals or more 7 times.

His GAA is 3.01 and SV% is .888.

This is not awesome.

Osgood and Legace have never been super consistent, but Legace's highs and lows are simply better than Osgoods.

You're 100% correct. However, the good goalies give up fewer soft goals than the average to bad goalies. Usually when someone says that a goalie gives up soft goals, it's to mean that the goalie gives up an unusually large amount of soft goals.

Eh, I disagree. Modin is exactly what we need. Big, strong winger with a good shot who always works hard and rarely floats. The 2 million is a big whatever, as has been noted, adding a guy like Modin could be done fairly easily by dumping players we hardly ever use.

Best.Post.Ever

You want consistency and you're using Theodore as an example?

Consistency would be nice but it's not really all that neccessary in the regular season.

You're kidding yourself if you think Theodore is not an improvement over either of those guys, though.