• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

My speculation

Rate this topic

Obviously we all have high hopes for Howard, and I feel he will be a fantastic NHL goalie. But Holland's style is to get the big name guy to be between the pipes when he has the cash. Do you think during the off season Holland might try to sign Luongo if he can for the right price?

After reading:

"It is a great contract [offer] for me, but No. 1 is winning a Stanley Cup and having success in the playoffs. After that, money comes second. ... As I've said from the beginning, the main thing for me is not money. The direction of this team is more of a factor."

It makes a lot of sense for him to come here, although that would probably consist of trading Lang or another big contract to make room, and it would also mean that we'd be hard pressed to sign other players.

Would it be possible? I'm not so sure it would be the best idea unless we find some way to make it all work and improve our defense at the same time (barring we don't before the deadline this season).

The only way this could happen really is if Flordia doesn't offer them the max or trade him.

alright Heaton you've had your puffs now pass the pipe back. dry.gif

No cup contender is going to have 7m+ to sign him, and in his quote he's saying that money isn't really everything he's looking for. If the Wings could free up 5m in cap space and and make a good showing this year in the playoffs (or win the cup!) that would probably be Luongo's first choice. Considering half our on 1 year contracts we could make it work. But I'm not sure if we should do that or just wait for Howard.

Heaton you gonna give me a hit or not? rolleyes.gif We drafted Howard. Sure Ozzie and Legace might not be here next year and your right we'll have alot of money to work with. But you honestly think there arn't other teams out there that want Luongo? Im with you man pipe dreams are awesome, lord knows there awesome. But honestly your dreaming bubba.

Sure other teams are going to look at him, but if he is seriously putting getting a ring first on his list over the money and if Detroit looks best suited to take go far again why wouldn't he prefer to come here? I mean, Howard will be a good or possibly great goalie but he could be 4 years away if he doesn't devolp fast enough.

Theodore is coming out west, so that is going to take away the needs of either Edmonton, Colorado or Vancouver, so then that would leave Edmonton and Colorado to get a goalie if they don't get Biron or something. And Colorado will still have to try and resign Blake and Sakic since they didn't exersize their team options.

Also remember that the cap is supposed to rise by 5m or so, so we'll have even more room to make some moves, it isn't so crazy.

Guest Joey Kocur 26

I would be cheaper to sure up the defence and reduce the shots against and stick with an average goalie, rather than go out and blow that kind of money on one player.

Having faith in howard is well and good, but most big picks go bust. Dont believe me? go check the top 5 draft picks for the past 30 years.

I would be cheaper to sure up the defence and reduce the shots against and stick with an average goalie, rather than go out and blow that kind of money on one player.

Having faith in howard is well and good, but most big picks go bust. Dont believe me? go check the top 5 draft picks for the past 30 years.

A, howard wasn't a high pick, in fact neither was he in the first round,..chosen 64th overall.

B. the difference is scouting, before the early 90's work of the red wings it was very taboo to go off looking for talent outside of the junior and college leagues, it was done, but not to the level we did it at.

lets start with 90's draft

1 nolan

2 nedved

3 primeau

4. ricci

5 jagr

going on for the next 15 years here are some great players chosen in the top 5

scott niedermayer

chris pronger

paul kariya

ed jovanovski

wade redden

joe thorton

roberto luongo

patrick marleau

vaitaly vishnevski

vicent lecavalier

do your research before you post such a blanketed statement

Heaton, for once, I totally agree with your reasoning and your facts to back up what you are saying.

I cant stand some of these gloom and doomers either, and you always have a positive thing to add.

Go easy your gonna smear your lipstick on Heaton. wink.gifsmile.gif

Seth, if you're going to shoot down the idea, at least explain why it doesn't work. Players are retiring, the cap is going UP and Howard won't be ready next season. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it could. That's pretty much how all of these trade proposals work.

Edited by Heaton

It would be cheaper to sure up the defence and reduce the shots against and stick with an average goalie, rather than go out and blow that kind of money on one player.

Agreed. Use the $$$ to sign Roloson (or similar) and a couple of solid defensemen instead. With a few exceptions, I don't think it's wise to spend big money on a single player in the "new" NHL. It's too big of a risk, especially with goalies. Depth is the way to go!

Shiver me timbers, I agree with Joey on this one.

It would be cheaper to sure up the defence and reduce the shots against and stick with an average goalie, rather than go out and blow that kind of money on one player.

Agreed. Use the $$$ to sign Roloson (or similar) and a couple of solid defensemen instead. With a few exceptions, I don't think it's wise to spend big money on a single player in the "new" NHL. It's too big of a risk, especially with goalies. Depth is the way to go!

Of course it would be cheaper, but that wasn't really the point of the thread. The argument is moot since Luongo has since clarified by saying he wants to stay in Florida if they actually make strides to go for the playoffs.

well if luoango wants to win with the panthers, it would be smart for him to take less money so the team can AFFORD to get better.

Im so tired of the whiny players who want to play for a contender, but demand so much money in this "new" cap world.

Khabibulin is probably the big reason why the hawks wont be successful, because they cant really afford to build on what they have. There are talks to start all over again in chicago. I would say they are only 3 or so decent players from having a good chance at the 8th playoff spot.

Alright, first of all the last thing you wanna do is go out and spend money like crazy. You have to bring players who wanna come here, not because we offered the most money. Some examples are pudge signing with the tigers because no one was willing to give him what he wanted and Damien Woody who publicly said that he wouldnt have signed here if the lions were gonna be this bad couple years later. If holland really wants luongo, and some other team at the same time is offering more money but isn't as good as us, we'll find out whether he really holds true to his word.

Heaton, you sure do make some good points on this one. I think it's safe to say that we do offer him some kind of contract. I don't see him accepting though. He will probably take more money and go somewhere else.

We won't be the only Cup Contending team that needs a goalie next year.

We can all dream though. Hell, who knows, it could just happen. I won't hold my breath though.

Edited by rage

I'd love to see Luongo here as much as the next guy, but the Wings don't have the cap space to be throwing around 5+ million dollar a year contracts. I know it is technically possible with the future expanded cap room and potential retirements to bring him here, but even though we don't have superstar goalies, I think we have more important things to address before the goaltending revolution begins....Manny will be around for another few years and Jimmy should get at least 2 or 3 seasons to try to establish himself, so there shouldn't be any desperate scramble to break the bank on someone like Luongo.

There are plenty of teams out there with lots of cap space who have a need for Luongo way more than we do, and it will probably be one of them who ends up landing him.

Seth, if you're going to shoot down the idea, at least explain why it doesn't work. Players are retiring, the cap is going UP and Howard won't be ready next season. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it could. That's pretty much how all of these trade proposals work.

Cute Heaton, don't parent me. Its a brash daydream, you thinking he'll end up here. Fantasize all you want, the fact is you berate others (myself) for coming up with trade proposal ideas, how holland should look at other players, how this organization needs help and occasically you (and other members here) go nuts. Not fun being sh*tted on is it? We've called peace and I enjoy having you here as a member but call spade a spade man, lets be fair and truthful.

damn right go with a cheaper goalie and depth on D. Who I got my eye on is the Manny for the Wild, problem is he's starting to establish himself and thus might demand hot dollar on the market. Even though their tanking this year I believe (the thing is I don't know if their all going to be UFAs) these goalies might be darkhorse UFAs come this summer.

Nabby

Weekes

John Grahame?

Boucher?

Ty Conklin

knock on them all you want, they have the ability and have proven to steal games and make the differance.

Cute Heaton, don't parent me. Its a brash daydream, you thinking he'll end up here. Fantasize all you want, the fact is you berate others (myself) for coming up with trade proposal ideas, how holland should look at other players, how this organization needs help and occasically you (and other members here) go nuts. Not fun being sh*tted on is it? We've called peace and I enjoy having you here as a member but call spade a spade man, lets be fair and truthful.

I wasn't parenting you, you disagreed, I wanted a better reasoning as to why besides already having a young goalie coming up. I never said Luongo was coming here, I said it made sense from what the quote said, which it did and I also explained how it would work for him to come here. As for berating other people? Where? I've disagreed with the players, and explained why I didn't think trades would work or could work, but I don't remember patronizing anyone about it, I explained my view of why it wouldn't happen and didn't tell anyone to stop smoking crack or whatever your reference was.

If you could please show me where I've "s***ted" on any of their ideas I'd glady apologize, but disagreeing respectivly and explaining why I didn't think it would work is another thing.

If you're talking about the Doan thread, more than one person agreed with me, I really think you're looking for things to get pissed at me about, because I haven't been sarcastically answering any of the trade proposals that have been coming around.

damn right go with a cheaper goalie and depth on D. Who I got my eye on is the Manny for the Wild, problem is he's starting to establish himself and thus might demand hot dollar on the market. Even though their tanking this year I believe (the thing is I don't know if their all going to be UFAs) these goalies might be darkhorse UFAs come this summer.

Nabby

Weekes

John Grahame?

Boucher?

Ty Conklin

knock on them all you want, they have the ability and have proven to steal games and make the differance.

Boucher sucks big time. Nabokov would be fantastic.

Luongo would be a great pickup. You can argue save the money and get a better d-man, but if you had Luongo, you wouldn't need as many high priced d-men. Personally I would rather see us have easily one of the top 3 goaltenders in the NHL and let some of our younger, cheaper d-men develope in the big league a little without fear of f**king up and having bush league Boucher being there to usher in the puck. Freeing up enough money to sign Luongo, that is another story.